Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

22 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

If you are in Akihabara, you should also check out the various Liberty shops, which sells everything from anime CDs, BDx, DVDs, and collectibles, including toys, both new and used.

ãã£ã®ã¥ã¢è²·åãç§èå

The locations with the pinkish-red rectangular marker are Liberty stops that sell figures, namely Liberty 1, 2, 4,  5, 6, and 8.

Never heard of Liberty before. Are the prices competitive? I admit I've never really been bargain hunting around Aki. I just get tired of all the walking and looking at all the displays! :lol:

1 hour ago, tekering said:

Looks good in the box like that.  You should probably keep it that way.  :p

Unless, that is, you have the booster accessory...

5af192bcc565d_boosteraccessory.thumb.jpg.9354b768d42fc1c023bbccc4879059ae.jpg

Either way, transformation is not recommended.  <_<

I've got the red and green Alphas too. I've transformed both. There were no issues with the green one, but the red broke in half and the hands crumbled badly. Had to superglue it back together and get replacement hands from shapeways. 

On the verge about what to do with this one, though. 

1 hour ago, hachi said:

Never heard of Liberty before. Are the prices competitive? I admit I've never really been bargain hunting around Aki. I just get tired of all the walking and looking at all the displays! :lol:

I remember Liberty being around since I was a kid. Here are storefront pics from 3 of their Akihabara locations.

image.png.0553ac8363430f3debacff9f4d663aca.pngimage.png.cf229d5da133bd22d580dfea2673ff9a.pngimage.png.0c53f3cb402d5f52d6e205ac1bad0e8c.png  

When I go shopping, they tend to be the first places I hit, as their used prices from my experience have been among the most competitive. 

Recently got my hands on a Gundam Metal Build Red Frame. The first release without the extra weapons and such, just the suit and the sword, mint in box. Paid about $220 shipping included. Anyone here have this figure? Thoughts? Haven't opened it yet. I'll get around to it this weekend, maybe.

41 minutes ago, Drad said:

Recently got my hands on a Gundam Metal Build Red Frame. The first release without the extra weapons and such, just the suit and the sword, mint in box. Paid about $220 shipping included. Anyone here have this figure? Thoughts? Haven't opened it yet. I'll get around to it this weekend, maybe.

I like it quite a bit. Not a fan of the glossy finish on the white armor parts. The Framr suits stand out among the other Metal Builds I have.

Also be prepared that the head fin will pop out a lot.

I prefer the way the sword sheath is on the PG Red Frame with a dedicated piece on the waist. On the MB it just pegs into the thigh.

I also like the translucent green pieces on the PG kit more.

Overall I‘m happy with my purchase and hope they release a Blue Frame that is not a straight repaint of the Red Frame (like the Second Revise version).

From the three versions releasen so far I like the Gold Frame the most (which surprises me the most). His play value is just so high and the asymmetric design really speaks to me even if I‘m usually not a fan of gold.

I‘m still discussing if I need the Powered add-on set. It looks super goofy to me but I’m somewhat of a completist.

10 minutes ago, Saburo said:

Nice Haul.

Whoa, that has to be the biggest HLJ box I have ever seen.

It was more-or-less full up to the top. Just a few air bags to fill the corners.

I was a bit surprised that I was able to ship it all together via EMS.

36 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

It was more-or-less full up to the top. Just a few air bags to fill the corners.

I was a bit surprised that I was able to ship it all together via EMS.

Impressive, most impressive. I'm wondering if it would have been cheaper to ship if split into 2-3 boxes. I've messed with the numbers before and found that was the case for me when I had huge hauls to ship. 

28 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Impressive, most impressive. I'm wondering if it would have been cheaper to ship if split into 2-3 boxes. I've messed with the numbers before and found that was the case for me when I had huge hauls to ship. 

I checked it out, and it was more expensive. Might be due to having 2 items that were EMS only, and enough other stuff it'd have taken at least 3-4 SAL parcels on top of that.

Still better ratio that most of my HLJ stuff. Usually it's around 1/4-1/3 of item price in shipping, this was closer to 1/8th.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

7 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I checked it out, and it was more expensive. Might be due to having 2 items that were EMS only, and enough other stuff it'd have taken at least 3-4 SAL parcels on top of that.

Still better ratio that most of my HLJ stuff. Usually it's around 1/4-1/3 of item price in shipping, this was closer to 1/8th.

Nice. I like when EMS packages work out being less since it comes faster too. 

Edited by Slave IV

I was doing some computation earlier for both of my Ley's and the PF SDF in my HLJ PW. And thinking if I should just do one EMS package. I know I will save atleast $40 if I do one package but I'm kind of scared at the same time since EMS only covers Y20000 for insurance so I decided to have them shipped separated for my peace of mind.

41 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

I was doing some computation earlier for both of my Ley's and the PF SDF in my HLJ PW. And thinking if I should just do one EMS package. I know I will save atleast $40 if I do one package but I'm kind of scared at the same time since EMS only covers Y20000 for insurance so I decided to have them shipped separated for my peace of mind.

I just spent about $100 to get $800 worth of HLJ private warehouse shipped to me (in the south bay).

I wouldn't worry about it.

46 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

well, ,my way of thinking is the bigger the box, the less chance of it getting lost.:lol:

10 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I just spent about $100 to get $800 worth of HLJ private warehouse shipped to me (in the south bay).

I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks Sanity. But I think I will still do it this way. I already lost a package from last year and up to now there's no word on my coverage and that's just for a $60 figure. ^_^ 

2 minutes ago, F360 said:

well, ,my way of thinking is the bigger the box, the less chance of it getting lost.:lol:

Well, that's true. But then again, you never know. :rolleyes:

56 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

It also happens that EMS insurance amount is close to the price limit of non-taxable packages (depending on exchange rate) here. And the less I lose on one package, the better for my peace of mind too. :D

10 hours ago, hachi said:

It also happens that EMS insurance amount is close to the price limit of non-taxable packages (depending on exchange rate) here. And the less I lose on one package, the better for my peace of mind too. :D

Yeah. It's just the peace of mind that really matters to me the most. I mean, it's already a year has passed and there's still no news on my Y6000 coverage for a lost figure during transit. What more, if something happened to my PF SDF-1 during transit, I mean, I'll wait probably more and what's worse I already lose 2/3 of the cost assuming that I will get the Y20000 immediately. Just sayin'.

Thanks to all the recommendations and reviews, I finally bit the bullet and bought a used VF-25 renewal and armor set and it just arrived today in a big box. This is my first Bandai DX valk and it looks glorious. Can’t wait to transform this thing over the weekend and put that heavy armour on. 

I haven’t watched the series yet but can somebody educate me on the difference between the Tornado and Super parts sets? 

A8D517ED-F161-4389-BC80-1AAAE9A0B6D4.jpeg

Edited by rdrunner

4 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Thanks to all the recommendations and reviews, I finally bit the bullet and bought a used VF-25 renewal and armor set and it just arrived today in a big box. This is my first Bandai DX valk and it looks glorious. Can’t wait to transform this thing over the weekend and put that heavy armour on. 

I haven’t watched the series yet but can somebody educate me on the difference between the Tornado and Super parts sets? 

Here are some pics of Tornado and Super parts.

Tornado Parts:

23252438364_fdb7424d31_h.jpg

23252445014_a415a4f351_h.jpg

23772316812_c02425fe15_h.jpg

Super Parts:

24018682265_00ee3482bc_h.jpg

24018685465_3c5d40adb5_h.jpg

24018695135_c3a694c8d4_h.jpg

Tornado, Super Pack, and Armored pack are just 3 different sets of attachments used at various parts in the series.

• Super pack is some boosters and missiles.
  • Tornado is bigger boosters, missiles and a big pair of guns.
  • Armored is even larger boosters, even more missiles, those two ball-gun things, what appears to be an auxiliary radar dish on the back, and more general coverage.

In the series the supers appeared first, then the tornado pack (Alto and Michael only), and then the armored pack (Also and Ozma only).

16 minutes ago, Saburo said:

Here are some pics of Tornado and Super parts.

Tornado Parts:

23252438364_fdb7424d31_h.jpg

23252445014_a415a4f351_h.jpg

23772316812_c02425fe15_h.jpg

Super Parts:

24018682265_00ee3482bc_h.jpg

24018685465_3c5d40adb5_h.jpg

24018695135_c3a694c8d4_h.jpg

Thanks Saburo, I have been a fan of your Macross shots for years and they are absolutely gorgeous!!

Just realized the previous owner had the head mis-transformed and the head fin on mine is facing the wrong way.  I wonder if that's why I have larger gaps than expected on the chest/back pieces in fighter mode.

Edited by rdrunner

11 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

In the series the supers appeared first, then the tornado pack (Alto and Michael only), and then the armored pack (Also and Ozma only).

Actually, the Super and Armored packs both appeared in the first episode of Frontier. Ozma Lee's VF-25S had the Armored Pack, and what would eventually become Alto's VF-25F had a Super Pack. Throughout the series, the VF-25S would almost always be depicted with Armored equipment, and the VF-25F would switch between the two. The VF-25G and RVF-25 I believe only ever used Super Packs, and even then they more often flew without anything at all.

The Tornado Pack was introduced in the first Frontier movie, The False Songstress. It's equipped by Alto's VF-25F in the final battle of the film. It would make another appearance in the second movie, The Wings of Goodbye, equipped on the VF-25G. SMS used the data gained from it to develop the YF-29, which would be Alto's final ride in the film.

28 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Tornado, Super Pack, and Armored pack are just 3 different sets of attachments used at various parts in the series.

• Super pack is some boosters and missiles.
  • Tornado is bigger boosters, missiles and a big pair of guns.
  • Armored is even larger boosters, even more missiles, those two ball-gun things, what appears to be an auxiliary radar dish on the back, and more general coverage.

Thanks, I will have to watch the series to find out more. Tempted to get different packs for different variations instead of getting multiple packs for one fighter.  And so the Pandora’s box opens... LOL

15 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Actually, the Super and Armored packs both appeared in the first episode of Frontier. Ozma Lee's VF-25S had the Armored Pack, and what would eventually become Alto's VF-25F had a Super Pack. Throughout the series, the VF-25S would almost always be depicted with Armored equipment, and the VF-25F would switch between the two. The VF-25G and RVF-25 I believe only ever used Super Packs, and even then they more often flew without anything at all.

The Tornado Pack was introduced in the first Frontier movie, The False Songstress. It's equipped by Alto's VF-25F in the final battle of the film. It would make another appearance in the second movie, The Wings of Goodbye, equipped on the VF-25G. SMS used the data gained from it to develop the YF-29, which would be Alto's final ride in the film.

Thanks @kajnrig, that’s actually the sort of background info I was hoping to gather from binge watching the series at some point. 

YAY!  Package finally arrived via the world's slowest boat.

Arcadia 1/60 YF-19...

image.png.a3734e5ded4fd4b0475604f81722f244.png

and the Yamato 1/60 v.2 VF-1 Armored Parts...

image.png.43080e5ac167b46eec74066f75c55876.png

Also got a pair of glass risers, normally used for putting computer monitors on, as additional parking space for my valkyries...

image.png

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

20 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

YAY!  Package finally arrived via the world's slowest boat.

Arcadia 1/60 YF-19...

image.png.a3734e5ded4fd4b0475604f81722f244.png

and the Yamato 1/60 v.2 VF-1 Armored Parts...

image.png.43080e5ac167b46eec74066f75c55876.png

Also got a pair of glass risers, normally used for putting computer monitors on, as additional parking space for my valkyries...

image.png

That riser is a good idea!

Congrats on the ever growing Valk collection!

I think you may have around the same or more 1/60 Valks as I do. Except I've been collecting them for years and you just started this year. I should be ashamed, lol. 

8 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

That riser is a good idea!

Congrats on the ever growing Valk collection!

I think you may have around the same or more 1/60 Valks as I do. Except I've been collecting them for years and you just started this year. I should be ashamed, lol. 

I started my Valk shopping around March 17th, so I am almost at my 2 month anniversary!

11 minutes ago, RED WOLF said:

@Shizuka the Cat

Great pickups! How do you like the glass riser? I bought one off of Amazon and love it. I add custom lights to it too and use it for my hot toys hulkbuster. 

Screenshot_20180511-203017_Gallery.thumb.jpg.cb2f77ef1ec2df260c4273e583942abe.jpg

I really like the glass riser. I went with the 22" x 9.5" x 3.4" (adjustable to 4.9"). At $25 each, I thought the price was not too bad. And I really like the fact that their heights are adjustable, making it easy to fit valkyries under them, even with Super/Strike parts on. I will probably buy one or two more, when my DX YF-19 pre-orders come in.