Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

55 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

As for how big the Armored Klan figure is...

:lol: So the micro Klan ends up bigger than I imagined it would be, and the macro Klan is smaller.

Actually, though, from the comparisons to the DX that I've seen, that Klan seems to be - coincidentally, perhaps - 1/72 scale, right on par with the various 1/72 Frontier kits. How serendipitous! :D

51 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

For some reason, I am now imagining Michael riding around in Armored Klan's breast pocket.

There have been a lot of, ahem, artistic renderings of Michael in Klan's breast... pocket...

On 4/2/2018 at 12:25 PM, Shizuka the Cat said:

AmiAmi has a pre-owned Arcadia 1/60 VF-1J Super Valkyrie (Miria) for 15,180 yen, but it is missing the little baggy of optional parts. Not a bad price, in my opinion, if you wanted to add another VF-1 to your collection. I'd be seriously tempted, if I did not already own this.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-029641-R

What are the various parts that are missing? What are they used for?

36 minutes ago, RED WOLF said:

What are the various parts that are missing? What are they used for?

The "optional parts" are the filler pieces used to plug in gaps you see after you transform into battroid mode. For example, the black plastic siding circled in red in the picture below is one of these optional parts, used to fill in the gap between the front chest plate and the back plate. 

image.png.faea37258644e8dc69feb64b369f7d41.pngimage.png.637b148846d2e63d4b4fd5dd051ed974.png

There is also a neck filler piece, that you can insert between the back of the neck and flap at the top of the back. And I think in some releases, an elevated cockpit chair, to simulate when a pilot wants to exit the VF-1 through the neck hatch.

image.png.eb1ec7c3651072650c45d85321aad7f7.png

Earlier Yamato v2 valkyries did not even come with them... they were a later addition. Some of Yamato's stand-alone Super and Strike parts sets included these optional parts, so that owners of earlier v2 releases could get them.

Some people, including myself, don't even use these optional parts, as they sort of break the concept of "perfect transformation".

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

4 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Very nice!

I do have to warn you about the display stands for this figure and the Nyan Nyan outfit Ranka. Megahouse used a really crappy weak plastic for the connection points that the feet mount onto. Over time they weaken and break just from the stress of holding the figure up, which you'll note is the only job it has. I know because I have both of those figures and they both broke from just sitting on display.

I ended up just gluing Klan's foot to the stand.

This was my experience as well. The klan fig was one of my favorites. Was bummed when it broke :(

Really bummed I lost an eBay auction yesterday for a 1/48 VF-1A DYRL Kakizaki by a freakin $1 because my stupid browser froze on me in the final 15 seconds of bidding.  

I guess I have to settle for these two obscure birds that no one seems to want:

IMAG1032.jpg

Ostrich came in today and the 1D a few weeks ago.  Shout out to @Offswitch for both!

All that's left on my list are the VF-1A TV Max and TV Kakizaki and I'm done (in either 1/48 or 1/60 scale).  Anyone wanna help me finish my collection? :) 

Edited by dafob

18 minutes ago, dafob said:

Really bummed I lost an eBay auction yesterday for a 1/48 VF-1A DYRL Kakizaki by a freakin $1 because my stupid browser froze on me in the final 15 seconds of bidding.  

I guess I have to settle for these two obscure birds that no one seems to want:

IMAG1032.jpg

Ostrich came in today and the 1D a few weeks ago.  Shout out to @Offswitch for both!

All that's left on my list are the VF-1A TV Max and TV Kakizaki and I'm done (in either 1/48 or 1/60 scale).  Anyone wanna help me finish my collection? :) 

For some reason, my mouth started to salivate looking at the VT-1 and VF-1D. *drool*

Interesting, didn't know Samsung had yet a different VR kit.  What do you plan to play with it?  I've got a few things on the horizon that I plan to get VR for but those games aren't complete or out yet (Mechwarrior 5, Star Citizen).  I actually would probably love the Star Trek Bridge Crew game, but that would really mean my friends would need their own VR kits as well.

5 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Haha, nice @spanner!

That VR headset looks fancy!

Thanks! It does indeed! 

4 hours ago, ZorClone said:

Interesting, didn't know Samsung had yet a different VR kit.  What do you plan to play with it?  I've got a few things on the horizon that I plan to get VR for but those games aren't complete or out yet (Mechwarrior 5, Star Citizen).  I actually would probably love the Star Trek Bridge Crew game, but that would really mean my friends would need their own VR kits as well.

Neither did I until a couple days ago when a friend suggested it to me. I was planning on getting the Vive Pro but it's quite a bit more expensive and you have to buy the base station seperately which just adds to the cost.. unless you had the previous version then you'd use the the sensors it came with.

I've seen that it's gotten mostly positive reviews and has the same resolution per eye as the Vive Pro so it should be more than good enough.

I plan on using it for driving and flying Sims, namely Assetto Corsa, Raceroom Experience, Project Cars 2 and DCS (digital combat simulator). I have been using Track IR5 for a while which has been ok but it's quite limited and doesn't seem to have the fluidity of a VR headset. I'm very curious to see how the roughly 150% increase in resolution compared to our 1080p 50 inch tv I use will look for gaming..

Really looking forward to it!

Oh! I didn't know there will be another mech warrior! And I have dipped my toes in a Star Citizen but it's still doesn't even run very well on my system (i7700k, 1080ti) so I'm waiting for it to develop further. I had recently purchased Elite Dangerous but was holding off using it till I got a VR headset. Hadn't heard of that Star Trek game either! Will have to check it out. 

8 hours ago, dragonstar1982 said:

Finally got 2b in. Can't wait to open it up later!

IMG_20180413_130511.jpg

Oh, I’ve been curious about this one. Was tempted to preorder but wasn’t sure about the quality since this is a new brand. If possible, could you let me know how it turned out? 

35 minutes ago, ArchieNov said:

Oh, I’ve been curious about this one. Was tempted to preorder but wasn’t sure about the quality since this is a new brand. If possible, could you let me know how it turned out? 

I really like the figure cause I'm a fan of the game. She's about the size of a figma figure.the paint is a little hit or miss on some areas but nothing major. I would have liked a full size play arts Kai version more but I'll take what I can get lol. Oh and coming with the robot was a added bonus. I would would say get her if you like the game or just the character but don't pay more than it's going for.

IMG_20180413_204727.jpg

8 hours ago, spanner said:

Oh! I didn't know there will be another mech warrior! And I have dipped my toes in a Star Citizen but it's still doesn't even run very well on my system (i7700k, 1080ti) so I'm waiting for it to develop further. I had recently purchased Elite Dangerous but was holding off using it till I got a VR headset. Hadn't heard of that Star Trek game either! Will have to check it out. 

Yep, MW5: Mercenaries is officially a thing now.  Gonna be 4 player co-op!  I'm really looking forward to this.. been a MW fan since the very original.

2 hours ago, dragonstar1982 said:

I really like the figure cause I'm a fan of the game. She's about the size of a figma figure.the paint is a little hit or miss on some areas but nothing major. I would have liked a full size play arts Kai version more but I'll take what I can get lol. Oh and coming with the robot was a added bonus. I would would say get her if you like the game or just the character but don't pay more than it's going for.

IMG_20180413_204727.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I haven’t played the game but I do like her character design. So by what I gather, the quality is not as good as a Figma but more like a Play Arts? If so I may have to pass as I was never satisfied with the quality of Play Arts figures (my experience is based off the Kai Variant Wonder Woman and Batman).

Then again, one of my main issues with Play Arts is I feel the plastics they use for their figures is too soft for the amount of weight it has, leading to stability issues and lack of rigidity. Since this Bring Arts is smaller, maybe this is no longer an issue?

2 hours ago, ZorClone said:

Yep, MW5: Mercenaries is officially a thing now.  Gonna be 4 player co-op!  I'm really looking forward to this.. been a MW fan since the very original.

Man if only i had the rig to go max graphics! If one thing didn't change, it would be that statement.

Come a long way since mw2 when i got in....all systems nominal!

Edited by seti88

3 hours ago, ZorClone said:

Looks really good! I'll be definitely checking it out! 

5 hours ago, ArchieNov said:

Thanks for the reply. I haven’t played the game but I do like her character design. So by what I gather, the quality is not as good as a Figma but more like a Play Arts? If so I may have to pass as I was never satisfied with the quality of Play Arts figures (my experience is based off the Kai Variant Wonder Woman and Batman).

Then again, one of my main issues with Play Arts is I feel the plastics they use for their figures is too soft for the amount of weight it has, leading to stability issues and lack of rigidity. Since this Bring Arts is smaller, maybe this is no longer an issue?

The thing is the plastic is still soft , but she is extremely light so the weight shouldn't be an issue

On 4/13/2018 at 8:29 AM, spanner said:

Thought I'd finally make the move to VR for gaming so I bought a Samsung Odyssey headset. Can't wait to try it out! Not the cheapest thing to buy but not too expensive either. 

I have an R&D/Visualization position at work, and we've been playing with VR for a few years. We have them all. I was in the developer preview program with microsoft and they sent us 3 WMR's last year. The WMR headsets (Odyssey IS the best one ;)) are no joke. Better than the VIVE and Rift in the sense that you are not required to set up tracking devices. This may seem like just a convenience thing, but it comes into play when setting up your space if you don't have the ability to mount trackers on walls, or have room for tripods. I find this to be a better solution for myself because if I want to put it away, I can just unplug it and put it in my drawer. One HMDI, and USB is all it needs. Setting up the Rift with 3 trackers, oh boy, you better have USB ports to spare. WMR's are comparable in other areas. If you are in a well lit room, tracking of the headset is easily on par. Resolution, and overall screen quality of the Odyssey is noticeably the best out of all available HMD's. The controllers can get a little funky when they are out of view of the headsets tracking cameras, but that has been getting better with every update from M$, and with developers adding official support. Make sure you have a bluetooth adapter for your controllers, because they don't come with one.

I could go on and on with vr stuff. We mostly create B2B training tools, product prototyping, or tradeshow "experience" VR apps at work, but I get a lot of time in headsets. PM me if you have any questions, or if something isn't working right for you and I will try and help.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

@Rogueload: Are you waiting to get Arcadia's version of the SV-51 since you have the Yamato Nora? I snagged a Nora from Manda sometime in the beginning of this year (don't know which month exactly) as l prefer this version than compared to Ivanoff's or the Mass production ones.  

3 hours ago, borgified said:

@Rogueload: Are you waiting to get Arcadia's version of the SV-51 since you have the Yamato Nora? I snagged a Nora from Manda sometime in the beginning of this year (don't know which month exactly) as l prefer this version than compared to Ivanoff's or the Mass production ones.  

It’s the color, right? Chicks digs purples. ^_^ 

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

It’s the color, right? Chicks digs purples. ^_^ 

I don't really know. Here's my copy of Nora as I don't know the exact colour name of this one here; however Mirage is more of a Magenta colour. Can anyone verify the exact colour used in Nora's SV-51y? :huh:

Edit: It is more Maroon in colour (after giving it much thought)?  

DSC00752.jpg

Edited by borgified

So, it only took me 30+ years, but I finally completed the set:

DSC_0023.JPG.dae51cf421300461670fef99ab28d806.JPG

DSC_0027.JPG.c0e3d0289a2f6ad78a34c401a0cbb369.JPGDSC_0022.JPG.52bb06e85793eb8603c864b8edbd3670.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG.43a771a5b433ddab429e4cd07ce7e999.JPG

DSC_0029.JPG.1e8f62a351118c87e525efacf01f8da0.JPG

I guess the ultimate question is:

a)  Should I have told my younger self to just fork over the extra $5.95 for the Land Team, in order to save me from paying a whole hell of a lot more in the future?

DSC_0024.JPG.ee31ba30eeea7024f55866376bfe5121.JPG

(Yes, I bought the Air and Sea teams each for this price way, WAY back in the day!)

OR b) Did waiting this long make me value completing it all the more?

2 hours ago, borgified said:

I don't really know. Here's my copy of Nora as I don't know the exact colour name of this one here; however Mirage is more of a Magenta colour. Can anyone verify the exact colour used in Nora's SV-51y? :huh:

Probably it's a cross between Grape, Plum. and Boysenberry?

mauves.jpg