Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

Welcome to Macross collecting!! Where it's NOT just enough that the price of the toys..errr..collectibles WILL break you, it's also where you WILL eventually move into a larger apartment, OR go house hunting with the FIRST thing on your mind when you are looking at floorplans is.."which of these rooms will be for the toys..err..collectibles and is it large enough???!!!"   ALSO -- you'll begin to want nice lighted cabinets to display your toys..err...collectibles, and keep the dust from settling on top of them...just wait!

PRO TIP--- the answer is always NO..no matter how big it is.:lol:

36 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

Welcome to Macross collecting!! Where it's NOT just enough that the price of the toys..errr..collectibles WILL break you, it's also where you WILL eventually move into a larger apartment, OR go house hunting with the FIRST thing on your mind when you are looking at floorplans is.."which of these rooms will be for the toys..err..collectibles and is it large enough???!!!"   ALSO -- you'll begin to want nice lighted cabinets to display your toys..err...collectibles, and keep the dust from settling on top of them...just wait!

PRO TIP--- the answer is always NO..no matter how big it is.:lol:

OMG!  I was so thinking to myself how I need to find a larger place, with a room that can easily be temperature and humidity controlled for my toys... errr... collectibles, right before I read your reply. 

1 minute ago, borgified said:

@Shizuka the Cat: Are you trying to aim to get the entire Vermillion Squad only (and the supporting valks, mechas etc)?

The VF-1 (including VE-1 and VT-1) is my favorite of all the different valkyrie designs. There is something simple yet elegant about it. Plus, nostalgia! 

Maybe someday I will expand to other Macross series valkyries, but probably not til I finish grad school in 2 - 3 years.

5 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

The VF-1 (including VE-1 and VT-1) is my favorite of all the different valkyrie designs. There is something simple yet elegant about it. Plus, nostalgia! 

Maybe someday I will expand to other Macross series valkyries, but probably not til I finish grad school in 2 - 3 years.

Get a VF-0S now while you still can without having to refinance your school loan for one. :p

I hate to say it, but I was not that big into Macross Zero. It was okay, but the show did not capture me that strongly. So, I don't feel a strong personal connection to the VF-0, and don't feel particularly eager to get one anytime soon.

If I had to rank the shows, I would put original Macross and Macross Frontier at the top. Then Macross Plus, Macross 7, Macross Zero, then finally the evil step-child Macross 2. I don't have a verdict on Macross Delta yet, as I have only watched a couple of episodes... but having the singers dance around amongst enemy mechs mid-combat using, as I recall @jenius's wife say in a figurine review video, "vagina rockets" under their blouses..... that just felts a bit too silly to me.

So, I imagine I will prioritize VF-1 designs first, then maybe eventually branch into Frontier and Plus next.

20 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

I hate to say it, but I was not that big into Macross Zero. It was okay, but the show did not capture me that strongly. So, I don't feel a strong personal connection to the VF-0, and don't feel particularly eager to get one anytime soon.

If I had to rank the shows, I would put original Macross and Macross Frontier at the top. Then Macross Plus, Macross 7, Macross Zero, then finally the evil step-child Macross 2. I don't have a verdict on Macross Delta yet, as I have only watched a couple of episodes... but having the singers dance around amongst enemy mechs mid-combat using, as I recall @jenius's wife say in a figurine review video, "vagina rockets" under their blouses..... that just felts a bit too silly to me.

So, I imagine I will prioritize VF-1 designs first, then maybe eventually branch into Frontier and Plus next.

I never said anything about the show, I said you should get the valk.:D

True story. The Arcadia VF-OD (minus the one Jenius got and a couple of other random leg failures) and OS are fantastic toys. OS is as close to a "perfect" Valk as they come according to some.  It is heavy, solid as a rock in all modes and has good possibility.  It is rather large however! 

41 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

True story. The Arcadia VF-OD (minus the one Jenius got and a couple of other random leg failures) and OS are fantastic toys. OS is as close to a "perfect" Valk as they come according to some.  It is heavy, solid as a rock in all modes and has good possibility.  It is rather large however! 

Large is good. ;) 

9 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

YAY! My DHL deliveries arrived! Now I am just waiting for my Yamato v2 1/60 VE-1 Elintseeker to come in a couple of days.

Hmmm... you know, I may not have completely thought things thru. It did not occur to me just how much space this stuff takes up.

20180326_152713.thumb.jpg.daba357b86c0d29ebb344915ca8c7534.jpg

This is you jumping into the game?!?  I hate to see what your collection looks like in a year.

9 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

YAY! My DHL deliveries arrived! Now I am just waiting for my Yamato v2 1/60 VE-1 Elintseeker to come in a couple of days.

Hmmm... you know, I may not have completely thought things thru. It did not occur to me just how much space this stuff takes up.

Time to play Macross tetris. ^_^ 

Also dont forget to clear some display space as well!

Edited by seti88

Not with macross methinks....the candle that burns twice as bright keeps burning because of new macross releases keep getting better!

Generally speaking of course...more relevant for bandai and new valks!

Edited by seti88

Got my latest and one of my favorite Marvel Legends figures so far, Mr. Fantastic himself, Reed Richards.

While I'm at it, here's an update of my main Marvel Shelves:

Marvel_Collection_DSC06288.jpg

I have tons more scatered around in other displays throughout my house plus another collection worth that I have yet to open.

Edited by Slave IV

31 minutes ago, TrickyCustomer said:

I've always thought that space is a secondary consideration when buying valks. I'll worry about it later... But, judging by the picture sooner or later lack of space may hinder me! :lol: it actually is like playing Tetris stacking that lot. 

_20180327_065938.JPG

So, I can say right now that I have the Macross Box Tetris game down to an art form. :lol: 

There are little tricks you learn about proportions, and what methods work for stacking, how to keep the stacks stable, and keep the boxes from getting warped.

Bandai's boxes are all the same size, and better reinforced internally due to the solid Styrofoam, but I will generally alternate stacking directions to keep the towers of boxes in my office closet stable.  For instance, I think Bandai DX boxes work about on a 3 to 1 ratio of thickness to length, so you can stack three vertically, one horizontally to alternate the directions.  Super/armor pack add on boxes are thinner, and work as gap fillers.  Same for the Yamato/Arcadia boxes.  I think a super packed VF-1 bundle plus one plain VF-1 will fit vertically under a single VF-1 stacked horizontally.

I'd have to check to be sure though... I can't open my closet right now, because there's another pile of un-stacked valk boxes in front of the door. :wacko::p 

Edited by Chronocidal

@Chronocidal @Slave IV I generally keep the light stuff at the top (or expensive) thankfully all the boxes are well packed as I keep alot of misb stuff too,  so packaging is important to me. It's only a temporary solution anyway. One day all these valks will have a proper display case to be shown off in. You do have to get creative at times when finding spaces for stuff to live 

9 minutes ago, TrickyCustomer said:

@Chronocidal @Slave IV I generally keep the light stuff at the top (or expensive) thankfully all the boxes are well packed as I keep alot of misb stuff too,  so packaging is important to me. It's only a temporary solution anyway. One day all these valks will have a proper display case to be shown off in. You do have to get creative at times when finding spaces for stuff to live 

That's the way it shoul go. Sometimes I get too overwhelmed with stuff and it just has to go wherever it fits for the moment. Then I deal with it again later.

2 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Is it bad that this is what my desktop currently looks like right now? Darn distractions!

image.png.b9e73e9a36c54cd2d362f414a6f17bf5.png

I am constantly window-shopping!

Hahaha! You got beaten, Shizuka. :lol:  Anyways, here's something new for all of us. In honor of the upcoming Premium Finish VF-0S:

aMTFh15.gif

3TgDovS.gif 

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

Lol, the art of stacking boxes...I'm embarrassed to share pics of my home. I have stacks from floor to ceiling in just about every corner of my house, free space or not.

Don't worry. You're not alone. ^_^ 

That's the way it shoul go. Sometimes I get too overwhelmed with stuff and it just has to go wherever it fits for the moment. Then I deal with it again later.

Best way man,  best way :lol: better to have it and worry about where it goes later than not having it at all.  

5 hours ago, TrickyCustomer said:

I've always thought that space is a secondary consideration when buying valks. I'll worry about it later... But, judging by the picture sooner or later lack of space may hinder me! :lol: it actually is like playing Tetris stacking that lot. 

_20180327_065938.JPG

I could stack stuff up high but then it could all come crashing down in a quake (perks of living in the ring of fire). That said I've just sold my 2 guitars to declutter my life. Next decluttering operation: some serious book pruning in the coming weeks.

9 minutes ago, hachi said:

I could stack stuff up high but then it could all come crashing down in a quake (perks of living in the ring of fire). That said I've just sold my 2 guitars to declutter my life. Next decluttering operation: some serious book pruning in the coming weeks.

That must be crazy. Couldn't even imagine having to deal with that over here. If we had an earthquake we would probably sink lol 

8 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Hahaha! You got beaten, Shizuka. :lol:  Anyways, here's something new for all of us. In honor of the upcoming Premium Finish VF-0S:

aMTFh15.gif

3TgDovS.gif 

Hahaha, that is awesome!

7 hours ago, TrickyCustomer said:

Best way man,  best way :lol: better to have it and worry about where it goes later than not having it at all.  

Tru dat!

2 hours ago, valkyriepilot said:

Delta-1 and ELINT Seeker B))

29634167_10209113455112498_95619167_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=e2984f7a0c272f6f05f66e4bf8fbb22c&oe=5ABD6EA6

A bunch of Federation GunPla as well. :D

29633997_10209113495033496_769676605_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=eb165c9a4c3fa7d832c51f9344d6da86&oe=5ABC4341

Whenever I see hauls like these, I always realize that I don't have a lot of funds and extra time to build.  :cray:

But... awesome haul by the way. :good: ;) 

7 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

Nice wallet GIFs, @no3Ljm

6 hours ago, Sildani said:

Excellent gifs, @no3Ljm!!

Hahaha, that is awesome!

Thanks guys! Had fun doing it. ;)

Now, I'm searching which Itasha clip to use next so I can use my pretty wallet pic once again. ^_^

9 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Noel you have outdone yourself!! B)):D

Dat definitely needs to go into the 0S PF thread!

5 hours ago, hachi said:

So, something to keep in mind for Yamato/Arcadia packages.

The boxes are mostly empty space, and you can fit a complete VF-1 in a much smaller package if you like.  I think I fit 3-4 of them in a shoebox once, with complete accessories.

The VF-1 is very very modular.  You can take off the nose section, pop off the legs, and fold up the torso to be very compact.  It would be very easy to perform some minor disassembly, bag them up, and then pack a large number of them in packing peanuts in a single box.

Now, once those boxes are empty, they can be folded up, and stored flat, in case you ever need them.  The trays?  Unlike Bandai's Styrofoam, you can nest them.  I haven't tried it myself to see how many would fit, but I bet you could stash a pretty thick stack of trays inside a super pack bundle box, due to it being thicker.

11 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

So, something to keep in mind for Yamato/Arcadia packages.

The boxes are mostly empty space, and you can fit a complete VF-1 in a much smaller package if you like.  I think I fit 3-4 of them in a shoebox once, with complete accessories.

The VF-1 is very very modular.  You can take off the nose section, pop off the legs, and fold up the torso to be very compact.  It would be very easy to perform some minor disassembly, bag them up, and then pack a large number of them in packing peanuts in a single box.

Now, once those boxes are empty, they can be folded up, and stored flat, in case you ever need them.  The trays?  Unlike Bandai's Styrofoam, you can nest them.  I haven't tried it myself to see how many would fit, but I bet you could stash a pretty thick stack of trays inside a super pack bundle box, due to it being thicker.

I might have to do that one of these days. Those boxes really take up a lot of space! I'd have a ton of missiles, stand adapters, and fixed pose hands lying around though.

Wait, will the cardboard trays also stack? They should all be the same size.