Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

@Shizuka the Cat: I can't say for the Frontier valks in person, get the renewal versions (v.2) of the VF-25s and I echo @derex3592's reply. As for the VF-171s, go for the VF-171EX versions [Alto, Luca and the Maruyama (with the Sheryl Nome Ishta)] and avoid the CF version (Nightmare plus) as the triangles are prone to breakage and the legs falling apart when you fiddle with it (this actually reminds me of the MP-09 Rodimus Prime in some way. Was going for the TRU version, but after hearing the shoulders explode, did not pick up a copy).

I have the VF-171EX Alto and the armoured parts. The arms upon transformation are hair-raisingly super tight when you try to move it and it feels like you going to break the arm right in half and the armoured parts need a little mod to get it fitted properly as it has a habit to pop out. My suggestion is to get a small bottle of shock oil, use a small drop of oil on the joints and hopefully it will make less frustrating for you (haven't tried it personally). The Armoured parts are interchangeable with other VF-171s (I don't know about Lucas as he has the radar dish and the sensor vane on his).

If you want another valk which is even more frustrating, get the SV-262 Ha (Keith). As much as I like the SV-262 fighter mode, I didn't get a copy however I did get the Yamato SV-51 Nora (waiting on the news on the Arcadia's version).

@ScrambledValkyrie: I'm going to team up with @Slave IV and further nudge you to get a 1/48 valk. :D I've got the Fast/Strike parts already and have decided on which of the 1/48 valks to acquire in a few months time.  

1/48s are my fav; I spent way too much monies grabbing them this year (only 15 years late!).

The super Js and CF are my pride and joy. Woodland and Urban Low Viz are great if you can track them down. The Stealth Super is very nice too.

Watch out for the entrepreneurs (ie scalpers); you can get them relatively cheap (below market) if you are patient and keep an eye on yahoo auctions and the for sale sub forum. 

4 new arrivals came in the mail just now. Welcome home my children!

I ordered these through robotech.com, since they sell the set of 3 VF-1J Super Valkyries for $150, rather than getting them for $55 each thru stores like bigbadtoystore.com, so I saved about $15 from retail. Plus. they had the Comic-Con exclusive version of the VF-1D that uses matching color Super parts, rather than the generic grey ones that come with the regular edition of the VF-1D.

20180322_143037.jpg

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

I’ve been quiet for sometime and have relatively avoided conflict but I think it’s best I set something straight here considering the newbies need to know something. These so called “Entrepeneurs” or “Scalpers” that your referring to better not be directed at me. If I recall correctly you had inquired about a low viz Valkyrie and did not specify which version you wanted, which clearly indicates you do not know the value of which low viz version. I offered I had the Low Viz grey version which is at that time going for 300-400 which is what I paid for 8 of them throughout the years so of course it’s what I asked for. Calling me out indirectly as entrepreneur or scalpers doesn’t sit well with me. Luckily that wasn’t a for sale thread or mods (hopefully ) would have stepped in. Rules on this forum is not arguing about the asking price. If someone wanted to sell an item for 10k you don’t see anyone commenting how bad the price is because they know better. I’ll chime in just to let you know that this isn’t the first time I’ve seen your snarky comments. It’s a public forum and people can say what they want. So I’ll say my 2 cents on what I’ve seen here. For those who know how long I’ve been in this community/forum knows my methods of selling/buying items. Hell all these people can vouch for me on my sig which goes back to 2007.

20 hours ago, Shinobi Rendar said:

My first Hi-Metal R (hopefully not my last one) purchase. Also, dipping my feet on Gunpla as well ! It's gonna be a good weekend!group.JPG.435cb82c4268be41235864320c292107.JPG

Great choice with the RG GP01! That is a solid kit and still one of my favorites. If you planned on painting the beam rifle lens I recommend doing that first before inserting it into the beam rifle. There is no good way to remove the lens after it is installed. And carefully with the head antenna, the plastic is very thing and easily broken or stressed.  

4 hours ago, brouken said:

Haven't posted new purchases in a while. Been extremely busy at work. But as a Subie and WRC fan, I believe this deserves a post (forgive the phone pics. They don't do this piece justice at all.)

40061487585_a2d5e24dcc_c.jpg

40955209961_61eeb9c14e_c.jpg

27084208558_232cba8d60_c.jpg

27084177498_eede40c976_c.jpg

Now I have to find a space for Colin's ride in my collection:

40062110685_6052eccff4_c.jpg

looks really good! I had actually considered getting one of these myself. What are your impressions of this model? The two door is certainly one of my favorite Subaru rally cars.

I don't have any rally cars in my collection anymore.. must find something!

3 hours ago, borgified said:

@ScrambledValkyrie: I'm going to team up with @Slave IV and further nudge you to get a 1/48 valk. :D I've got the Fast/Strike parts already and have decided on which of the 1/48 valks to acquire in a few months time.  

Haha! Thanks, I think. The thing holding me back from a 1/48 at this point is the fact that Yamato never made a VF-1S with super packs. To piece together my ideal 1/48, I'd need to get a VF-1S Roy, and also a VF-1J Hikaru for the super parts and the pilot. Of course, I could likely find someone here to take the bare 1J off my hands. ;)

Hello again.

My name is Shizuka, and I am a Macross-holic. It has been 10 minutes since my last purchase.

I swore to myself yesterday that I was done, that I had bought enough valkyries to last me until I finish grad school and start making money again.

But then I saw a used Arcadia 1/60 VF-1S Strike Valkyrie (Hikaru Ichijou) just show up on AmiAmi, that was not listed there 2 hours earlier. I price checked eBay, Jungle, HLJ, Mandarake, and a few other shops, and AmiAmi's price was quite a bit cheaper. So..... well.... you can guess what happened next. 

*sigh* I am both elated by my purchase, and think I need an intervention. *sigh*

I blame @jenius entirely for causing this addiction in me by creating such wonderful review and transformation videos on YouTube and anymoon.com

Love,

Shizuka

3 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Hello again.

My name is Shizuka, and I am a Macross-holic. It has been 10 minutes since my last purchase.

I swore to myself yesterday that I was done, that I had bought enough valkyries to last me until I finish grad school and start making money again.

But then I saw a used Arcadia 1/60 VF-1S Strike Valkyrie (Hikaru Ichijou) just show up on AmiAmi, that was not listed there 2 hours earlier. I price checked eBay, Jungle, HLJ, Mandarake, and a few other shops, and AmiAmi's price was quite a bit cheaper. So..... well.... you can guess what happened next. 

*sigh* I am both elated by my purchase, and think I need an intervention. *sigh*

I blame @jenius entirely for causing this addiction in me by creating such wonderful review and transformation videos on YouTube and anymoon.com

Love,

Shizuka

You're a poor and by now, broke student who spent over $2000 in two days on Valks...WTH!?

Why can't we all be as good at this as you are?:D

7 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Hello again.

Love,

Shizuka

Worry not. All of us here already told ourselves that we're done from it... well, until the next Valkyrie release ofcourse. :lol:

By the way, is that already your first paycheck? ;)

Edited by no3Ljm

7 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Worry not. All of us here already told ourselves that we're done from it... well, until the next Valkyrie release ofcourse. :lol:

By the way, is that already your first paycheck? ;)

*COUGH COUGH* That paycheck question hurts so much.  =)

5 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

*COUGH COUGH* That paycheck question hurts so much.  =)

Well, don't worry too much. There's this cool inventions called Cup Noodles, Instant Cup Mac & Cheese, and not to mention the greatest invention of all -- Costco's Polish Dog that comes with free drink. $1.50 per meal. You'll save big for sure. Cheaper foods, means more Valkyries. ;)

9 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Well, don't worry too much. There's this cool inventions called Cup Noodles, Instant Cup Mac & Cheese, and not to mention the greatest invention of all -- Costco's Polish Dog that comes with free drink. $1.50 per meal. You'll save big for sure. Cheaper foods, means more Valkyries. ;)

But I can’t eat carbs.

25 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Oh, I feel like I am relapsing into some old habits.

I must have spent several thousand dollars on anime LDs, back when laserdiscs were king. Macross, Gundam X, Five Star Stories, Master of Mosquiton, Nadesico, Campus Guardress, Silent Mobius, and the X^2 music video were just a few of LD titles I collected back then.

Who would have guessed that DVDs would come along.. which I probably sunk tens of thousands of dollars into. Then Blu-Ray...

But, I had mostly stopped buying anime media a few years ago, and have not really watched anime in the past couple of years. I recently even threw out a bunch of anime LDs that I had already duplicated on DVD or Blu-Ray, with a few exceptions... like my Macross Memorial Box.

So I thought I had finally shaken off my long time anime-spending habits... *sigh*  Darn you valkyries, darn you! Why must you be so cute and dynamic and nostalgic. 

OMG.... I'm having a mid-life crisis, aren't I? OMG!

22 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Oh, I feel like I am relapsing into some old habits.

I must have spent several thousand dollars on anime LDs, back when laserdiscs were king. Macross, Gundam X, Five Star Stories, Master of Mosquiton, Nadesico, Campus Guardress, Silent Mobius, and the X^2 music video were just a few of LD titles I collected back then.

Who would have guessed that DVDs would come along.. which I probably sunk tens of thousands of dollars into. Then Blu-Ray...

But, I had mostly stopped buying anime media a few years ago, and have not really watched anime in the past couple of years. I recently even threw out a bunch of anime LDs that I had already duplicated on DVD or Blu-Ray, with a few exceptions... like my Macross Memorial Box.

So I thought I had finally shaken off my long time anime-spending habits... *sigh*  Darn you valkyries, darn you! Why must you be so cute and dynamic and nostalgic. 

OMG.... I'm having a mid-life crisis, aren't I? OMG!

You're just fine. ;)

5 hours ago, borgified said:

The Armoured parts are interchangeable with other VF-171s (I don't know about Lucas as he has the radar dish and the sensor vane on his).

I've got a Luca with the armored parts from the VF-171EX Cannon Fodder on it, they work fine, even with the special stand.

Luca's 171EX also comes with a second set of wings with hardpoints, so you can get whichever armored part set you want. Jungle's even got a 171EC CF set right now (comes with the reaction and dimension eater missiles).

@Shizuka the Cat: There's no stop to you isn't there in regards to Macross related items and you're going to be deeper in the red with all those impulse purchases. So that interns that you can maybe kiss your doctorate degree goodbye (realistically speaking) ??  :cray:   

12 minutes ago, borgified said:

@Shizuka the Cat: There's no stop to you isn't there in regards to Macross related items and you're going to be deeper in the red with all those impulse purchases. So that interns that you can maybe kiss your doctorate degree goodbye (realistically speaking) ??  :cray:   

EEP!  EPP!  *cry*

Okay, i will definitely, absolutely not start collecting Macross Frontier valkyries, at least until after I finish school. I swear to the Galactic Fairy!

1 minute ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

EEP!  EPP!  *cry*

Don't mind Mr. Conscience over there, Shizuka. He's just trying to eliminate another potential contender on mad preorder nights. Hahaha! :lol:

4 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Don't mind Mr. Conscience over there, Shizuka. He's just trying to eliminate another potential contender on mad preorder nights. Hahaha! :lol:

Well.. I'm not going to stop Shizuka from getting his Macross fix regardless, it's the reality factor that actually hits you in the guts as I'm working towards on getting a Property Management Certificate. Tuition, transit fees, cost of rent, et all in YVR is a killer [not to mention that YVR is the most expensive province in entire Canada for a liter of gas (petrol)].

I'm actually being very selective on my Macross purchases as I focus on the valks that I want, if anything else that catches my interest, then it's a consideration. I'm waffling on another 1/6th figure to either get or not as BBTS has the listing on as a pre-order for a POP Toys Warrior Women (Butterfly Helmet Series) Luxury either in Blue or Red. 

18 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Go with the Regult. There will always be Valkyries.

17 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Seconded, the Regult and Glaug are some of the best HMR figures, along with the Desdroids.

Those Regults are sparce. I would love the 2 pack but it's way out of my budget. The Glaugs on the other hand... ;)

4 hours ago, General Rasp said:

Great choice with the RG GP01! That is a solid kit and still one of my favorites. If you planned on painting the beam rifle lens I recommend doing that first before inserting it into the beam rifle. There is no good way to remove the lens after it is installed. And carefully with the head antenna, the plastic is very thing and easily broken or stressed.  

Thanks! Thanks for the heads up. Those type of 'no going back' steps are always  something to be concerned about. Yeah I saw the antenna in the runner and got a little nervous lol

This is not a toy but it's going towards my Gunpla!

paints.jpg.eaec9965d1e0285dd72d9c9589df5083.jpg

21 minutes ago, borgified said:

Well.. I'm not going to stop Shizuka from getting his Macross fix regardless, it's the reality factor that actually hits you in the guts as I'm working towards on getting a Property Management Certificate. Tuition, transit fees, cost of rent, et all in YVR is a killer [not to mention that YVR is the most expensive province in entire Canada for a liter of gas (petrol)].

I'm actually being very selective on my Macross purchases as I focus on the valks that I want, if anything else that catches my interest, then it's a consideration. I'm waffling on another 1/6th figure to either get or not as BBTS has the listing on as a pre-order for a POP Toys Warrior Women (Butterfly Helmet Series) Luxury either in Blue or Red. 

Looking on the bright side...

I think I lost more money today in my 401K due to the stock market dropping, than I did buying valkyries over the course of 3 days. 

Yeah... the bright side. *smile* *tear drop*

8 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Looking on the bright side...

I think I lost more money today in my 401K due to the stock market dropping, than I did buying valkyries over the course of 3 days. 

Yeah... the bright side. *smile* *tear drop*

Lmao tell me about it! I hate seeing my 401k drop tens of thousands in a day!

9 hours ago, brouken said:

Haven't posted new purchases in a while. Been extremely busy at work. But as a Subie and WRC fan, I believe this deserves a post (forgive the phone pics. They don't do this piece justice at all.)

40061487585_a2d5e24dcc_c.jpg

40955209961_61eeb9c14e_c.jpg

27084208558_232cba8d60_c.jpg

27084177498_eede40c976_c.jpg

Now I have to find a space for Colin's ride in my collection:

40062110685_6052eccff4_c.jpg

Sweet.  I got the Transformers version of Petter Solberg's ride from the mid 2000s.  I'll have to put up some pics.

As someone's who had to seriously fight my own purchasing decisions in the past, I really have to caution you, @Shizuka the Cat, about spending beyond your means. Everyone here WILL encourage your purchasing decisions because a big part of this place is showing off your haul, but if you're as strapped for cash as you say you are, and considering your admission of exorbitant spending in the past, I cannot stress how much I recommend that you stop for now and let yourself recover.

Impressing us here with the $1000s in VFs you've bought will certainly get you oohs and aahs, but... we aren't your friends, and we won't have your best interests at heart. Don't take @Slave IV and @no3Ljm's words to heart, because this is all fun and games until you actually start starving yourself to feed your addiction (your word, not mine).

But I mean, if things are actually totes okay, then frakk me I guess. ;)

12 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

As someone's who had to seriously fight my own purchasing decisions in the past, I really have to caution you, @Shizuka the Cat, about spending beyond your means. Everyone here WILL encourage your purchasing decisions because a big part of this place is showing off your haul, but if you're as strapped for cash as you say you are, and considering your admission of exorbitant spending in the past, I cannot stress how much I recommend that you stop for now and let yourself recover.

Impressing us here with the $1000s in VFs you've bought will certainly get you oohs and aahs, but... we aren't your friends, and we won't have your best interests at heart. Don't take @Slave IV and @no3Ljm's words to heart, because this is all fun and games until you actually start starving yourself to feed your addiction (your word, not mine).

But I mean, if things are actually totes okay, then frakk me I guess. ;)

Great advice. We're all having fun here and we're mostly adults that need to be responsible for ourselves.