Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

1 minute ago, locidm said:

In case you want to chase your childhood memories and buy the modern version of the same toy, Megahouse made one and it's pretty nice. I held off buying one until I saw one in person. It's nicely made! I must admit that I still haven't transformed mine.....

THey're sold out now but here's a link on HLJ:

https://hlj.com/product/MEG81807/Act

Darn it... this picture kind of makes me want it now. My childhood nostalgia of having had one of these toys as a kid does not help either.  Why did you throw all my toys out, mom? Why?!

orguss-valkyrie_small.jpg.6bd1a0db2b95bc5003731fba7118431d.jpg

20 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Nice! I just checked TRU again and the place is decimated! Almost all the legos are gone. The ML and SW shelves are still there because they still have the same shelfwarmers as they did last year with no markdown.

Yeah she’s a nice figure.  I should be getting X-23 later this week and the Deadpool wave case maybe next week.  Enough cool stuff while we wait for more Macross releases.

55 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Darn it... this picture kind of makes me want it now. My childhood nostalgia of having had one of these toys as a kid does not help either.  Why did you throw all my toys out, mom? Why?!

orguss-valkyrie_small.jpg.6bd1a0db2b95bc5003731fba7118431d.jpg

I have all the recent released Megahouse Variable Hi-Spec Orguss figures. And I have to say, they're the best Orguss incarnations by far. I'm sure it's still nostalgic to own the old Takatoku Orguss toys, but with the same amount it's going for nowadays, I rather get the Megahouse ones.

1NRHKau.jpg

Those gifs are brilliant lol I have finally got round to having a look at my Isamu custom yf-29 i bought awhile back. Got to say what an awesome looking valk and fairly straight forward transformation for a first time chogokin transformer like myself. The Kieth sv262 went back in its box, i will transform that another time. I think battroid looks best on this one and the stand definitely helps with the display for battroid too. Ozma custom will have to be purchased next i think.  

DSC_0415.JPG

DSC_0416.JPG

2 minutes ago, Scyla said:

I think Isamus YF-29 is hampered by the glossy plastic Bandai used at that time. The color scheme lends itself much better to a matte finish in my opinion. 

I know what you mean with the glossy finish. It's bearable. I take it all later dx chogokin came with a matte finish? I noticed my sv262 had it.

8 minutes ago, TrickyCustomer said:

I know what you mean with the glossy finish. It's bearable. I take it all later dx chogokin came with a matte finish? I noticed my sv262 had it.

Yeah, I think it started with the DX Chogkin YF-30 when it was released in 2014.

Edited by Scyla

Just now, Scyla said:

I think Isamus YF-29 is hampered by the glossy plastic Bandai used at that time. The color scheme lends itself much better to a matte finish in my opinion. 

Just now, TrickyCustomer said:

I know what you mean with the glossy finish. It's bearable.

... but the '19 is supposed to be Glossy?

macross-plus-isamu-yf-19-love.jpgMy Pretty Girl!

At least before Isamu scratches/scuffs/beats the @#$!^ out of her by being Isamu...

Just now, slide said:

... but the '19 is supposed to be Glossy?

macross-plus-isamu-yf-19-love.jpgMy Pretty Girl!

At least before Isamu scratches/scuffs/beats the @#$!^ out of her by being Isamu...

I don't want to get into an argument what is canonically correct (especially since this is a YF-29 and not a YF-19 :P). I'm just saying that the light tan color looks better with a matte finish. :) 

5 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Is that an 0 Gundam on the lower shelf? I didn't know there were any big-scale figures of it.

Yea it's three metal composite. there are two versions of it and I think a repaint of one.  It's a solid piece and fits in well with 1/100 stuff. 

My 2 babies arrived today... the Arcadia Max + Miria VF-1 Super Valkyries.

I was a bit inspired by the amazing Macross collection photos I saw here. So.... this is my first attempt at it too.

But i am realizing... I don't have enough room for the other 4 1/60 scale Arcadia and Yamato v2 Valkyries coming in, yet alone the 8 Toynami ones. EEP!

20180321_180214.thumb.jpg.d7a2a702dea8eedd27404e31be39a9c5.jpg

33 minutes ago, Scyla said:

I don't want to get into an argument what is canonically correct (especially since this is a YF-29 and not a YF-19 :P). I'm just saying that the light tan color looks better with a matte finish. :) 

Yes no debate to be had on that one lol i agree, it's basically down to personal preference.

Edited by TrickyCustomer

2 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

I was a bit inspired by the amazing Macross collection photos I saw here. So.... this is my first attempt at it too.

But i am realizing... I don't have enough room for the other 4 1/60 scale Arcadia and Yamato v2 Valkyries coming in, yet alone the 8 Toynami ones. EEP!

Space is always a problem for collectors! lol

26 minutes ago, Shinobi Rendar said:

My first Hi-Metal R (hopefully not my last one) purchase. Also, dipping my feet on Gunpla as well ! It's gonna be a good weekend!group.JPG.435cb82c4268be41235864320c292107.JPG

You got the right Valk to start with! Now, get an Armored GBP!
And then get some Regults and Destroids and see where the line really shines! :D

Whoa, dejavu!;)

2 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

You got the right Valk to start with! Now, get an Armored GBP!
And then get some Regults and Destroids and see where the line really shines! :D

Whoa, dejavu!;)

Haha Thanks!  I am debating if I should Get the Regult or Max's VF-IJ. Decisions decisions...

Just now, Scyla said:

Haha. Fair enough.

No fightin' words intended... it's just that that's my favorite scene in all of Macross, so I couldn't resist :D

Not having any DX29s I'll take your word, as I'm certain I'd echo your point if my Yammie YF-19 were Gloss instead of matte.

I must say the '29 design didn't do much for me, but the more I see them, the more the design grows on me. 

Arcadia YF-19 x Bandai YF-29

14 minutes ago, Shinobi Rendar said:

Haha Thanks!  I am debating if I should Get the Regult or Max's VF-IJ. Decisions decisions...

If you ask me, I say you need to get them all. But Max is one of my favorites so yeah, you should get it. But the Destroids and Enemy mecha are really the gems of the line.

2 hours ago, grymg said:

Ended up getting Darkwing, it's the only one I wanted.  

IMG_0434.JPG

Darkwing Duck was criminally under-represented.  Two fully lousy Goof Troop movies for a show that sucked and not a single one for fricking Disney Batman.

The Spartan, Defender and Monster are some of my favorite toys period. It's funny the Hi Metal reboot started with such a sputter all those years ago. They teased all these great Valks like the Mylene and a VF-2SS and all we got were a few VF-1's and two Vf-19's and then after mediocre sales the line vanished. Flash forward a few years and we get Hi Metal R line which brings Destroids and enemy mechs and even some of what was teased originally like the VF-2SS. Who knew this would turn out to be such an amazing and possibly complete line. 

2 hours ago, SuperDimensionalDave said:

The Spartan, Defender and Monster are some of my favorite toys period. It's funny the Hi Metal reboot started with such a sputter all those years ago. They teased all these great Valks like the Mylene and a VF-2SS and all we got were a few VF-1's and two Vf-19's and then after mediocre sales the line vanished. Flash forward a few years and we get Hi Metal R line which brings Destroids and enemy mechs and even some of what was teased originally like the VF-2SS. Who knew this would turn out to be such an amazing and possibly complete line. 

It isn't really that surprising.  The first two releases were non-starters and the market was different.  The two 19's were mediocre at best.  And the market was flooded with 1/60 VF-1's that were only $10 to $30 more expensive.

And the Destroids were destined to be great.  This is the house of Gundam making them.

Edited by Mommar

6 hours ago, slide said:

Haha. Fair enough.

No fightin' words intended... it's just that that's my favorite scene in all of Macross, so I couldn't resist :D

Not having any DX29s I'll take your word, as I'm certain I'd echo your point if my Yammie YF-19 were Gloss instead of matte.

I must say the '29 design didn't do much for me, but the more I see them, the more the design grows on me. 

Arcadia YF-19 x Bandai YF-29

Hey that actually looks pretty good next to the 19. Glad I got both! ^_^ Super pack definitely improves the design as well. I'm not a big fan of engines on the wings for the 29. But super parts do a good job of covering them up. 

9 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Have you though about getting a detolf/curio cabinet since the ones are being squished like sardines at the moment? 

12 minutes ago, borgified said:

Have you though about getting a detolf/curio cabinet since the ones are being squished like sardines at the moment? 

Yeah, I need a better cabinet. This was just a make-shift, spur of the moment attempt on my part. I need something with taller shelf space, since my Macross Memorial LD Box does not fit without being inserted at a slight tilt.

On 3/20/2018 at 6:54 PM, derex3592 said:

Fair enough, didn't mean to come off brash, I know all to well how addicting and wallet damaging Macross collecting can be!  My apologies if I offended.  I should not have assumed to know your situation.  Happy Valk collecting!  :D

On 3/20/2018 at 7:09 PM, Shizuka the Cat said:

No offense taken.

You are just passionate. As lovers of over-priced plastic toys from Japan, I think we all are pretty passionate people.

Respect for both of you not losing your cool. Good people.

On 3/20/2018 at 11:09 AM, Shizuka the Cat said:

No offense taken.

You are just passionate. As lovers of over-priced plastic toys from Japan, I think we all are pretty passionate people.

This comment wins MacrossWorld for me today. 

Welcome, @Shizuka the Cat. I'll echo what's been said before that Yamato's V2 and Bandai's HMR are both excellent. I only have one 1/60 (at the moment anyway) but have gone pretty deep into HMR due to the much more manageable size and somewhat more manageable cost. 

Instead of settling on one scale, you could also pick your favorite Valkyrie models or paint schemes and get as many different scales as you can of each. For example, I have a TV Super VF-1S in 1/60, 1/100, and 1/250 (non transforming). Thinking about a 1/48, or maybe a Joke Machine...

Haven't posted new purchases in a while. Been extremely busy at work. But as a Subie and WRC fan, I believe this deserves a post (forgive the phone pics. They don't do this piece justice at all.)

40061487585_a2d5e24dcc_c.jpg

40955209961_61eeb9c14e_c.jpg

27084208558_232cba8d60_c.jpg

27084177498_eede40c976_c.jpg

Now I have to find a space for Colin's ride in my collection:

40062110685_6052eccff4_c.jpg

2 hours ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

This comment wins MacrossWorld for me today. 

Welcome, @Shizuka the Cat. I'll echo what's been said before that Yamato's V2 and Bandai's HMR are both excellent. I only have one 1/60 (at the moment anyway) but have gone pretty deep into HMR due to the much more manageable size and somewhat more manageable cost. 

Instead of settling on one scale, you could also pick your favorite Valkyrie models or paint schemes and get as many different scales as you can of each. For example, I have a TV Super VF-1S in 1/60, 1/100, and 1/250 (non transforming). Thinking about a 1/48, or maybe a Joke Machine...

Thank you for the welcome. I would like to consider myself an optimistic and genki person. I have cats, after all!

So... if Arcadia/Yamato v2 are generally considered to be the best 1/60 scale Macross VF-1,  then what is considered the best when it comes to 1/60 scale Macross Frontier VF-25 and VF-171? Bandai Renewal? Yamato? 

Thanks!

Note to self:  Oh no... please don't fall into the Macross Frontier rabbit hole. 

1 hour ago, brouken said:

Haven't posted new purchases in a while. Been extremely busy at work. But as a Subie and WRC fan, I believe this deserves a post (forgive the phone pics. They don't do this piece justice at all.)

40061487585_a2d5e24dcc_c.jpg

40955209961_61eeb9c14e_c.jpg

27084208558_232cba8d60_c.jpg

27084177498_eede40c976_c.jpg

Now I have to find a space for Colin's ride in my collection:

40062110685_6052eccff4_c.jpg

Oh hell yeah! That is beautiful and my favorite Subie!

25 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Thank you for the welcome. I would like to consider myself an optimistic and genki person. I have cats, after all!

So... if Arcadia/Yamato v2 are generally considered to be the best 1/60 scale Macross VF-1,  then what is considered the best when it comes to 1/60 scale Macross Frontier VF-25 and VF-171? Bandai Renewal? Yamato? 

Thanks!

Note to self:  Oh no... please don't fall into the Macross Frontier rabbit hole. 

The Bandai DX Frontier Renewel VF-25's are the best game in town. They aren't as flawless as a Yamato/Arcadia offering might have been, but we'll probably never know.  They get loose over time, but are FAR better than the version 1 Bandai offered up!  AVOID those at all costs!  They do look great on display with supers/armor/Tornado packs on etc., and they also aren't as damaging to the wallet (well...kinda) as Yamato/Arcadia's.  As for the VF-171's well....that's a tougher question.  There have been a lot of QC issues with those, a couple of the later releases were good to go, (Luca and the one with the girl on the back).  Some people (including myself) want to send them into a wall every time I go to transform them.  I highly suggest reading/watching ALL of Jenuis' reviews on the 25's and the 171's before you start spending $$$.  

Edited by derex3592