Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

4 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Wow that is an epic haul! Though I don't know how many 'poor' grad students can drop $1600 on toys all at once. ;)

I think once you start going deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole, you'll probably end up throwing out the Toynami stuff and replacing it all with Bandai/Yamato/Arcadia valks. :rolleyes:

IMO, I think the single best valkyrie you can get (if money is not a big concern) is the Arcadia VF-0S. The regular edition is long out of print, but the premium finish version is still available. But it ain't cheap! (I hope you're sitting down before you click the link.)

https://www.nippon-yasan.com/figures/23826-macross-zero-1-60-kanzen-henkei-vf-0s-phoenix-premium-finish-limited-edition.html

The only reason I think I am able to resist the VF-0 is because I was not as big a fan of Macross Zero as I was of the original Macross or Macross Frontier. Those two shows in particular really sang to me. So, I would probably pursue getting a VF-25 before I go after a VF-0.

At the moment, I am lusting after a Yamato v2 1/60 scale VE-1 Elintseeker. Why in the world are they so expensive? The VT-1 Superostrich too? I see them listed on eBay for many times their MSRP. I can understand if they were the old Takanoku/Bandai chunky monkey 1/55 releases, being vintage products, but the Yamato v2 line?

*sigh*

As for being a poor grad student, that is true. I am a full-time student and currently make no income. I bought the valkyries from my food/living expenses budget. God, I need a summer job.

It hurt my heart when I got the final bill for 3 valkyries from Jungle in Japan. $85 in shipping?! Ouch!

The 2 Arcadia Max and Miria Super Valkyries hurt a bit, because I bought them AFTER I saw someone post a 15% eBay coupon on the MAcross World forums. My timing sucks.

Worst yet, that coupon taunts me into wanting to buy another valkyrie. Waste not, want not. 

Again... Help! I am a Macross-holic. It has been 12 hours since my last valkyrie purchase, but I feel I am just waiting for 2 more hours to pass by so that the coupon code goes into effect.

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

11 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

As for being a poor grad student, that is true. I am a full-time student and currently make no income. I bought the valkyries from my food/living expenses budget. God, I need a summer job.

OK...sorry -- I'm gonna have to say something here--

Not to sound like an old man and an ass here...but what you need is a reality check, AND A MONEY MANAGEMENT CLASS... spending your PARENTS money on toys when they are paying your way through college. You MAKE NO MONEY and you are spending THEIR money.  Wow..words fail me on just how spoiled you are man.    A lot of guys here busted ass to to get through college and still bust ass to have money for our families AND toys. Sorry -- had to vent.-- i'M OUT.  Back on topic. 

21 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

OK...sorry -- I'm gonna have to say something here--

Not to sound like an old man and an ass here...but what you need is a reality check, AND A MONEY MANAGEMENT CLASS... spending your PARENTS money on toys when they are paying your way through college. You MAKE NO MONEY and you are spending THEIR money.  Wow..words fail me on just how spoiled you are man.    A lot of guys here busted ass to to get through college and still bust ass to have money for our families AND toys. Sorry -- had to vent.-- i'M OUT.  Back on topic. 

Actually, I am paying my own way thru grad school. I decided I wanted to get my Ph.D. after having worked for a number of years. So, I took a hiatus from my career and started school last fall. Kind of living off of what I had set aside over the years, to pay for tuition, mortgage, and living expenses.

You are right though. I do have a bit of a money management issue, and that I am getting carried away in this collectible toy euphoria. I really do need to budget my money better, if I am going to be able to afford 2 - 3 more years as a full-time student.

Thanks for speaking up, by the way. While you are incorrect about me spending my parents' money, I do appreciate that you cared enough to be concerned.

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

Fair enough, didn't mean to come off brash, I know all to well how addicting and wallet damaging Macross collecting can be!  My apologies if I offended.  I should not have assumed to know your situation.  Happy Valk collecting!  :D

46 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

The only reason I think I am able to resist the VF-0 is because I was not as big a fan of Macross Zero as I was of the original Macross or Macross Frontier. Those two shows in particular really sang to me. So, I would probably pursue getting a VF-25 before I go after a VF-0.

At the moment, I am lusting after a Yamato v2 1/60 scale VE-1 Elintseeker. Why in the world are they so expensive? The VT-1 Superostrich too? I see them listed on eBay for many times their MSRP. I can understand if they were the old Takanoku/Bandai chunky monkey 1/55 releases, being vintage products, but the Yamato v2 line?

*sigh*

It hurt my heart when I got the final bill for 3 valkyries from Jungle in Japan. $85 in shipping?! Ouch!

The 2 Arcadia Max and Miria Super Valkyries hurt a bit, because I bought them AFTER I saw someone post a 15% eBay coupon on the MAcross World forums. My timing sucks.

Worst yet, that coupon taunts me into wanting to buy another valkyrie. Waste not, want not. 

Again... Help! I am a Macross-holic. It has been 12 hours since my last valkyrie purchase, but I feel I am just waiting for 2 more hours to pass by so that the coupon code goes into effect.

Haha, using your lunch money for Valks...a true fanatic! You are at the right place indeed. 

As for why these things are so expensive? Because people like us want them, they are out of print and limited. Simple economics. Macross toys are very niche in the whole scheme of things, very difficult to make good toys of so they are expensive and low volume. In this game, it's best be be there and be ready to preorder the items you want because if you don't, they are likely to sell out fast and the price could go up almost immediately. 

You might not think you want the VF-0S or dip into the HMR line now but you eventually will and by then, get ready for some sticker shock. So basically, buy them now while you can!

Hows that for enabling?:D

12 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

Fair enough, didn't mean to come off brash, I know all to well how addicting and wallet damaging Macross collecting can be!  My apologies if I offended.  I should not have assumed to know your situation.  Happy Valk collecting!  :D

No offense taken.

You are just passionate. As lovers of over-priced plastic toys from Japan, I think we all are pretty passionate people.

10 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Haha, using your lunch money for Valks...a true fanatic! You are at the right place indeed. 

As for why these things are so expensive? Because people like us want them, they are out of print and limited. Simple economics. Macross toys are very niche in the whole scheme of things, very difficult to make good toys of so they are expensive and low volume. In this game, it's best be be there and be ready to preorder the items you want because if you don't, they are likely to sell out fast and the price could go up almost immediately. 

You might not think you want the VF-0S or dip into the HMR line now but you eventually will and by then, get ready for some sticker shock. So basically, buy them now while you can!

Hows that for enabling?:D

Oh god no... Please no... Help? 

For now, I will try being content with the Arcadia/Yamato v2 1/60 and Toynami 1/100. The former for its quality and visual appeal. The latter because they are cheap and there are not many models of them, so it is easy to get them all and keep up with their releases.

My big worry about HMR is that there are a lot of models released and they are kind of pricey, making it hard to get caught up. But I know that if I start getting one, I will feel compelled to get more.

and yes...you really should get a VF-OS, it is a remarkable toy even if you don't care for Zero -- which many of us don't.  The HM-R line is a MUST for destriods and bad guys!!! Every Macross fan should have at least one HMR Monster and Glaug and Regults and and and and...:D

Edited by derex3592

2 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

You should also keep a very close eye on the For Sale threads here, you will get a far better deal on used Valks here than anywhere else!

Oh, is there a for-sale thread here? I did not notice one.

Hello again.

My name is Shizuka, and I am a Macross-holic. I have relapsed. It has been 1 minute since my last toy purchase.

So... I was bad. I just ordered a Yamato v2 1/60 VE-1 Elintseeker. Dang eBay coupon...

I think this will be my final purchase for a long, long time... at least until I finish my doctoral dissertation in hopefully 2 - 3 years.

"blink blink*  Why is my credit card smoking?

6 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

I don't even want to THINK what you paid for that ELINT Seeker! :lol: Congrats though!  IMHO it's the pinnacle of the Yamato V2's. You are going to love it!  

About 3x the original MSRP... after the coupon took off $50.

Normally, I would never shell out that much for a single toy. But, as you say, the VE-1 is the pinnacle of the line. 

I would also have a weakness for the VT-1... but I saw from anymoon.com that the Yamato v2 of the Super Ostrich is on the avoid list.

1 hour ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Hello again.

My name is Shizuka, and I am a Macross-holic. I have relapsed. It has been 1 minute since my last toy purchase.

So... I was bad. I just ordered a Yamato v2 1/60 VE-1 Elintseeker. Dang eBay coupon...

I think this will be my final purchase for a long, long time... at least until I finish my doctoral dissertation in hopefully 2 - 3 years.

"blink blink*  Why is my credit card smoking?

Luckily, you got away this time.  Last week, there was a 20% off coupon good for up to $100 discount!! I unfortunately missed that one.  Wanted to buy the Arcadia 1/60 Valks...

1 minute ago, yuletak said:

Luckily, you got away this time.  Last week, there was a 20% off coupon good for up to $100 discount!! I unfortunately missed that one.  Wanted to buy the Arcadia 1/60 Valks...

I never used eBay before now. I had no idea there were coupons available.

If only I knew about them when I ordered the Arcadia 1/60 Max and Miria Super Valkyries. *sigh*

Wow, there are better coupons out there than the 15% up to $50 that I used?  EEP!

7 minutes ago, borgified said:

@Slave IV: Since you're a good enabler (and others as well), can we happily push @Shizuka the Cat towards in getting a 1/48 valk and going down the rabbit hole further? :p

:D

4 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

1/48?

No... please. It's too big. It won't fit. That will break me!

Oh, but you must! I've actually had some 1/48 stuff in storage for years, untouched. I recently got some more 1/48s and opened them and I really think they are my favorite VF-1s. They have a great presence, are the 1st perfect transformation VF-1s (and the process is very simple and effective), have a lot of features unseen on any other releases and there are all those awesome paint schemes! You need at least one!

I can't be an enabler on the 1:48 line, it's just to old and to big nowadays.  I'd push him down the HM-R line rabbit hole...or he says he loves Frontier...hehehe...Bandai DX-25's/27's/29's are always fun! --and I just might have some going up for sale in the next few weeks! :ph34r:

1 minute ago, derex3592 said:

I can't be an enabler on the 1:48 line, it's just to old and to big nowadays.  I'd push him down the HM-R line rabbit hole...or he says he loves Frontier...hehehe...Bandai DX-25's/27's/29's are always fun! --and I just might have some going up for sale in the next few weeks! :ph34r:

Why did this quote just jump into my head?

"Botany Bay? Botany Bay! Oh no! We got to get out of here! Now!"

Finally got a Yamato 1/60 VF-17S. I love the Valk but the Yamato always looked so unremarkable and plain black, It was never a huge priority purchase but with the EBay 15% off I got a brand new 17S for $147. Couldn't pass that up. Can't wait to get it!

56 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Why did this quote just jump into my head?

"Botany Bay? Botany Bay! Oh no! We got to get out of here! Now!"

I'm actually thinking of the TOS series where Kirk took Khan into the Enterprise in the Space Seed episode when you said that.

I believe that some did mention this quote before (to a certain degree): "Down the Rabbit Hole you go, when to stop, no one will ever know". :lol:

10 minutes ago, General Rasp said:

Nice pick from TRU. That can't be a Monsterarts, right?

The Godzilla is Monsterarts and I did not get from TRU. The "Zilla food", as in the Pacific Rim figures are from TRU and they are Robot Damashii branded figures, so pretty close.

2 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

The Godzilla is Monsterarts and I did not get from TRU. The "Zilla food", as in the Pacific Rim figures are from TRU and they are Robot Damashii branded figures, so pretty close.

That makes much more sense. Do you like the Monster plant version of that Godzilla? I watched the movie on Netflix and thinking about getting the Monsterarts. 

2 minutes ago, General Rasp said:

That makes much more sense. Do you like the Monster plant version of that Godzilla? I watched the movie on Netflix and thinking about getting the Monsterarts. 

Yeah, it's one of the better Godzilla figures I have. It's pretty hefty compared to most others because of the long tail and overall bulk of the design. Seems a little bit better made too but it is typical SHMA construction. I really like it and am very happy with my purchase.

3 minutes ago, dragonstar1982 said:

The 1/48's aren't as good as the 1/60's  ver 2 but I still think they are badass enough to have at least one in your collection especially with the strike parts.

oh, an argument between 1/48 and 1/60?  Fight Fight Fight!

=)

4 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Normally, I would never shell out that much for a single toy. But, as you say, the VE-1 is the pinnacle of the line. 

I would also have a weakness for the VT-1... but I saw from anymoon.com that the Yamato v2 of the Super Ostrich is on the avoid list.

Well, the shoulders will crack like thebearlier releases but since it was the one and only release it’s not really an “avoid” like the others.

Well, the shoulders will crack like the earlier releases but since it was the one and only release it’s not really an “avoid” like the others.

Well, the shoulders will crack like the earlier releases but since it was the one and only release it’s not really an “avoid” like the others.