Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

That's a steal for Gipsy, wish I'd thought of that but I think the one I ordered from CDJapan had already shipped anway.. bah.  Grats!

Speaking of Toys 'R Us, them going into liquidation means I should probably make a trip to one of the few remaining stores and see what's laying around..

10 minutes ago, ZorClone said:

That's a steal for Gipsy, wish I'd thought of that but I think the one I ordered from CDJapan had already shipped anway.. bah.  Grats!

Speaking of Toys 'R Us, them going into liquidation means I should probably make a trip to one of the few remaining stores and see what's laying around..

I did just that and nabbed a Lego Batman Classic Adam West Batcave set. Only problem is Toys R Us markup is so high and absurd that anything marked down will honestly just be at fair retail price, Toys R Us markup is ridiculous.

So I get a knock at the door today, open it up and it's my mailman. He looks at me and said " you have a package...it's heavy as crap , come get". Lolol that alone made my day and yes we're like that with each other. He was right the box from jungle was freaking huge. I can't wait to open shin getter

IMG_20180314_152506.jpg

IMG_20180314_152553.jpg

18 hours ago, F360 said:

This is from the most recent ebay 20% off sale (friday).  Wasn't sure what to buy until the last 10 minute of the sale.:wacko:

Variable Action Hi-SPEC Super Dimension Century Orguss II General Soldier Type from amiami on ebay for $206 shipped DHL.

amiamiorguss.jpg.06789d65c20504a03489e4744533efdc.jpg

I envy you. I only realize this eBay thing after you mentioned this one on the thread. I should've owned 2 Orguss II CF now.  :cray:

20 hours ago, Kuma Style said:

As someone newer to Macross collecting, what are some that you'd recommend as great "starter" pieces that really encompass what the line is about in terms of positives?

Also, forgot to shoot the big three from Sentinel together.

*snip*

I would also recommend the VF-0S. It feels heavy and significant yet it has the same transformation mechanism as a VF-1. The Yamato/Arcadia VF-1 are great toys but seeing that you are more of a Gokin collector the VF-1 might feel a bit light and hollow for your liking. If you like the extra bit of finish on your expensive collectibles I would go with the VF-0 Premium Finish because it has a lot of added details as tampoo printing (https://hlj.com/product/ACA82143) you could get a bundle with the Reactive Armor if you like to play dress up (https://hlj.com/product/ACA82129). Sadly no premium finish on the add-on set so it might not be a perfect fit. The Valkyrie is unable to transform with the armor attached.

The other recommendation would be Bandais VF-31. It is overall a solid piece. It has ratchets, copious paint applications, locks together super solid and has a interesting but fun transformation. The VF-0 has practically the same transformation as the VF-1/G1 Jetfire so maybe you want something different. They are a bit harder to come by since they sell out fairly quick. Good thing is it comes in all colors of the rainbow so you can pick the one you like best. The VF-31 also has a color coded add-on sets available. So you might pick one up as well. In contrast to the VF-0 add-on the VF-31 is fully transformable with the armor pieces attached. If you like the aesthetic of the VF-31 and you are a fan of engineering magic you could get the Bandai SV-262 as a companion piece. A VF-31F and a SV-262Hs make a fairly complete display on their own. 

Lastly if you prefer the proportions of the Super Robot machines I would recommend the Yamato VF-19S. It is a bit older but is the best Valkyrie Yamato produces. Super solid and chunky. It is a bit of a bare bones release so not many accessories but that might be a good thing if you want to focus on the Valkyrie. It should not be to hard to come by on the after market. This would be my choice. If you go with the VF-19 be careful when separating the shoulders from the lower legs. They hold on with a death grip and you can damage your toy if you use too much force. 

If you want some more input you could check out Scorched Earth Toys which is a blog from one of the board members here and he has extensive reviews all of the mentioned releases: http://www.anymoon.com/blog/

Care to share how's the quality of Star Ace Harry Potter figure (at the background) compared to any Hot Toys figure? Thanks! :) 

3 hours ago, Bahamutzyro said:

Came today! Lately been picking up a lot of Cgc books.... also got the hot toys empire Leia.....

8664855B-D62A-4FE1-B222-902C85901E52.jpeg

Picked up another Ford Falcon V8 Supercar for the growing car collection! Was crazy cheep! Also picked up a gorgeous book of the Lotus 72 Formula One car! This book wasn't cheep (Valkyrie money) but it's contents is worth every cent!

20180315_183658.jpg

20180315_182815.jpg

Edited by spanner

20 hours ago, spanner said:

Picked up another Ford Falcon V8 Supercar for the growing car collection! Was crazy cheep! Also picked up a gorgeous book of the Lotus 72 Formula One car! This book wasn't cheep (Valkyrie money) but it's contents is worth every cent!

You're not transitioning, right, Spanner? :ph34r:

^_^

5 hours ago, sh9000 said:

0B79A52A-CC9A-49D4-8EEA-B4A5B1F7081C.thumb.jpeg.963af75bc7ac6e58e149ad8ce7abcc73.jpeg

Ugh.. Like the Magnus sculpt, however the head needs work and the helmet as well. Is that supposed a rough representation of Sir Ian McKellen's face?? :wacko: I know that it came out as the Jubes BAF lineup back in August/September 2014.  Love the sculpt and colours on Warren as Archangel (no wonder that he was the most sought after figure at that time).

@Bahamutzyro: Did you have the blue dots issue on your copy of Hoth Leia? There is a write up on the One Sixth Warriors Forums if you did have the time to read it.   

Edited by borgified
wrong person tagged

Still have to wait awhile for Sabine, but I opened up the ones I have so far and I really do like how these Rebels Black Series figures turned out.  They're a bit soft compared to Figuarts and a little less articulated but for representing animated and alien characters they do a pretty great job.  I really hope Chopper, Ezra, and Zeb get made in the 6" line.

fullsizeoutput_3b8.jpeg

For those of us who got the Eaglemoss Probert Ambassador-class concept and were underwhelmed, an enterprising Englishman has done us all a great service, for a price: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F222805075959

"Keep firing! Don't let those Zerglings reach this level!"

Hot Toys 1/6 Jedha Patrol, Snowtrooper and TIE Pilot came over the weekend. Quite pleased with the customer service from Manofactionfigures thusfar, they seemed quite interested in ensuring that I actually received the merchandise.

20180318_072431.jpg

20180318_072320.jpg

20180318_071644.jpg

20180318_083325.jpg

Edited by Podtastic
grammar

5 hours ago, vt102 said:

Nice pick up. Looks like the one I was watching on eBay.

Sorry, but not sorry! :p : D

But yeah, it's a great little addon to the collection. Now hunting for the ever elusive max...

Hello.

My name is Shizuka, and I am a Macross-holic. It has been an hour since my last purchase.

Hee hee.... I am new here. This is my first post to the forums, in fact.

I have been a long-time fan of Macross. As a child, I owned the Matchbox SDF-1 and a Takatoku 1/55 VF-1A Hikaru Ichijo valkyrie.... both of which my mom threw out when I went off to college. *sigh*

Back when laserdiscs were a thing, I collected the Macross LD Memorial Box, as well as the "Ai Oboetemasu ka"/DYRL LD box and the "Flashback 2012" LD. Later, I got the DVD box set by Animeigo, and the Macross Frontier blu-rays as they were being released.

Recently I come across the amazing Macross toy review videos by anymoon.com, and my desire for Macross mecha rekindled in a big way. I needed valkyries... badly.

So earlier today, I decided to take the plunge and get my first valkyrie... or 13.

First, I ordered 8 valkyries from Toynami's 1/100 Robotech line. Namely....

1. VF-1S + GBP (Roy)

2. VF-1J + GBP (Rick)

3. VF-1J + GBP (Max)

4. VF-1J Super (Rick)

5. VF-1J Super (Max)

6. VF-1J Super (Miria)

7. VF-1A (Ben)

8. VF-1D (Comic-Con 2016 edition)

I also ordered 3 Arcadia 1/60 scale valkyries...

9. VF-1S Strike Valkyrie (Roy)

10. VF-1J Super Valkyrie (Max)

11. VF-1J Super Valkyrie (Miria)

I also ordere 2  Yamato 1/60 scale v.2 valkyries...

12. VF-1A (Max TV color)

13. VF-1A (Kakizaki TV color)

Help.... I think I might have an addiction. I just spent like $1600 on toys in 1 day. 

But, but... this is my childhood... my nostalgia! I must collect more... maybe after I am no longer a poor grad student.

*cough* Anyone got a Yamato v.2 Elintseeker they want to get rid of? 

Nice to meet you all,

Shizuka

1 hour ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Hello.

My name is Shizuka, and I am a Macross-holic. It has been an hour since my last purchase.

I have been a long-time fan of Macross. As a child, I owned the Matchbox SDF-1 and a Takatoku 1/55 VF-1A Hikaru Ichijo valkyrie.... both of which my mom threw out when I went off to college. *sigh*

Back when laserdiscs were a thing, I collected the Macross LD Memorial Box, as well as the "Ai Oboetemasu ka"/DYRL LD box and the "Flashback 2012" LD. Later, I got the DVD box set by Animeigo, and the Macross Frontier blu-rays as they were being released.

Recently I come across the amazing Macross toy review videos by anymoon.com, and my desire for Macross mecha rekindled in a big way. I needed valkyries... badly.

So earlier today, I decided to take the plunge and get my first valkyrie... or 13.

First, I ordered 8 valkyries from Toynami's 1/100 Robotech line. Namely....

1. VF-1S + GBP (Roy)

2. VF-1J + GBP (Rick)

3. VF-1J + GBP (Max)

4. VF-1J Super (Rick)

5. VF-1J Super (Max)

6. VF-1J Super (Miria)

7. VF-1A (Ben)

8. VF-1D (Comic-Con 2016 edition)

12. VF-1A (Max TV color)

Help.... I think I might have an addiction. I just spent like $1600 on toys in 1 day. 

But, but... this is my childhood... my nostalgia! I must collect more... maybe after I am no longer a poor grad student.

Nice to meet you all,

Shizuka

Damn! That's some way to start a collection as a poor grad student! I hope you aren't as poor as you let on because that would be some odd but understandable priorities. Anyways, welcome and you can be sure we will do nothing but feed your addiction. You should really look into the Hi-Metal R line as it's probably the most playable and collectible line we've ever seen for Macross. 

Hello.

*snip*

Nice to meet you all,

Shizuka

Nice to meet you too. That's a great list of one day purchase. ;) :good: 

Welcome to MacrossWorld! Enjoy your stay here. :drinks: 

48 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Damn! That's some way to start a collection as a poor grad student! I hope you aren't as poor as you let on because that would be some odd but understandable priorities. Anyways, welcome and you can be sure we will do nothing but feed your addiction. You should really look into the Hi-Metal R line as it's probably the most playable and collectible line we've ever seen for Macross. 

Oh, believe me... $1600 on valkyries is going to hurt. Can a person survive solely on ramen and sliced bread? I wonder...

I did ponder getting the Hi-Metal R line. But, since the valkyrie I had as a kid was a 1/55 scale, I kind of wanted to get something of similar size. That largely left me with the choice of going with a Takatoku or Bandai re-issue 1/55, a Robotech Masterpiece 1/55, a Yamato 1/60 v1, and a Yamato 1/60 v2 or Arcadia 1/60.... as far as I could tell.

I ruled out the Robotech Masterpiece line because they look a bit strangely proportioned to me. I hate that the Yamato v1 line required you to disconnect the legs from the body in order to transform. So, I debated between the Bandai re-issue or the Yamato v2 / Arcadia.

I noticed looking on eBay that the old Takatoku and 2002 Bandai re-issues seemed to suffer from yellowing with age.  White just don't seem to stay white. If these "chunky-monkeys" did not yellow so much, then I might have gone that route. I did consider going with the more recent "Origin of Valkyrie" Bandai 1/55 line, but there are only 4 valkyrie models out so far for that.

(Can you tell I have been going thru anymoon.com's VF-1 valkyrie toy reviews non-stop for the past few days?)

So I decided to go Arcadia. The valkyries look nice, and the 1/60 line is still in business. I just could not help get the Max and Miria Super Valkyries... they are my favorite characters from the original TV series. Plus, I am hopeful that I can more easily acquire new models of Arcadia's run as they come out, rather than spend a premium on out-of-print releases.

I may go for the Hi-Metal R line at some point. But they just seem so expensive for their respective size. At least a mech from the Toynami 1/100 line is not much more expensive than a couple of nice dinners out. 

Admittedly... the Hi-Metal R release of the VE-1 does taunt me to no end. *sigh*

Please Minmei, Sheryl Nome, Ranka Lee, and Fire Bomber.... give me strength to resist buying more. I have 2 cats to feed.

Oh... someone is selling a fairly pristine-looking Takatoku/Bandai 1985 release of the 1/60 VT-1 Superostrich. *drool*

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

1 minute ago, no3Ljm said:

You can hit up @jenius, he's the Anymoon guy. ;)

Actually, we started exchanging emails a couple of days ago.

He was the one that warned me away from the Yamato v1 1/60 line. He also pointed out to me that some of the early Yamato v2 1/60 line should also be avoided, due to structural integrity issues in the shoulder and stuff.

@jeniusis amazing!  I am forever his fan!

Oh, believe me... $1600 on valkyries is going to hurt. Can a person survive solely on ramen and sliced bread? I wonder...

I did ponder getting the Hi-Metal R line. But, since the valkyrie I had as a kid was a 1/55 scale, I kind of wanted to get something of similar size. That largely left me with the choice of going with a Takatoku or Bandai re-issue 1/55, a Robotech Masterpiece 1/55, a Yamato 1/60 v1, and a Yamato 1/60 v2 or Arcadia 1/60.... as far as I could tell.

I ruled out the Robotech Masterpiece line because they look a bit strangely proportioned to me. I hate that the Yamato v1 line required you to disconnect the legs from the body in order to transform. So, I debated between the Bandai re-issue or the Yamato v2 / Arcadia.

I noticed looking on eBay that the old Takatoku and 2002 Bandai re-issues seemed to suffer from yellowing with age.  White just don't seem to stay white. If these "chunky-monkeys" did not yellow so much, then I might have gone that route. I did consider going with the more recent "Origin of Valkyrie" Bandai 1/55 line, but there are only 4 valkyrie models out so far for that.

(Can you tell I have been going thru anymoon.com's VF-1 valkyrie toy reviews non-stop for the past few days?)

So I decided to go Arcadia. The valkyries look nice, and the 1/60 line is still in business. I just could not help get the Max and Miria Super Valkyries... they are my favorite characters from the original TV series. Plus, I am hopeful that I can more easily acquire new models of Arcadia's run as they come out, rather than spend a premium on out-of-print releases.

I may go for the Hi-Metal R line at some point. But they just seem so expensive for their respective size. At least a mech from the Toynami 1/100 line is not much more expensive than a couple of nice dinners out. 

Admittedly... the Hi-Metal R release of the VE-1 does taunt me to no end. *sigh*

Please Minmei, Sheryl Nome, Ranka Lee, and Fire Bomber.... give me strength to resist buying more. I have 2 cats to feed.

Oh... someone is selling a fairly pristine-looking Takatoku/Bandai 1985 release of the 1/60 VT-1 Superostrich. *drool*

Understandable. If your focus is on getting the best Valks, the Yamato V2 and Arcadia releases are the best VF-1s ever made. And nice you hear you are a fellow M&M fan. My favorites! The thing with HMR is it seems to be heading towards a very complete line that includes enemy mecha, destroids, effects and hopefully more supporting parts. They other thing is, despite their size, they are very good quality with lots of detail, especially the non transforming mechs. Way better than the Toynami figures you bought. But again, understandable as a new collector. It took a while for me to be convinced to buy anything in the HMR line when there are so many options including the unbeatable 1/60 Valks. Problem is, once I got one HMR, I was hooked and had to have them all and now it's one of my favorite toy lines of all time. Anyways, you can't go wrong as long as you're happy with what you get and have fun with it. Enjoy!

4 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Understandable. If your focus is on getting the best Valks, the Yamato V2 and Arcadia releases are the best VF-1s ever made. And nice you hear you are a fellow M&M fan. My favorites! The thing with HMR is it seems to be heading towards a very complete line that includes enemy mecha, destroids, effects and hopefully more supporting parts. They other thing is, despite their size, they are very good quality with lots of detail, especially the non transforming mechs. Way better than the Toynami figures you bought. But again, understandable as a new collector. It took a while for me to be convinced to buy anything in the HMR line when there are so many options including the unbeatable 1/60 Valks. Problem is, once I got one HMR, I was hooked and had to have them all and now it's one of my favorite toy lines of all time. Anyways, you can't go wrong as long as you're happy with what you get and have fun with it. Enjoy!

Forgive me for asking, but what is "M&M" in this context? I assume you don't mean the chocolate candies that melt in your mouth, not in your hand.

5 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Forgive me for asking, but what is "M&M" in this context? I assume you don't mean the chocolate candies that melt in your mouth, not in your hand.

Max & Millia. And no, they're not the ones that melt in your mouth. ;) 

7 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

*snip*

12. VF-1A (Max TV color)

Nice to meet you all,

Shizuka

Wow that is an epic haul! Though I don't know how many 'poor' grad students can drop $1600 on toys all at once. ;)

I think once you start going deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole, you'll probably end up throwing out the Toynami stuff and replacing it all with Bandai/Yamato/Arcadia valks. :rolleyes:

IMO, I think the single best valkyrie you can get (if money is not a big concern) is the Arcadia VF-0S. The regular edition is long out of print, but the premium finish version is still available. But it ain't cheap! (I hope you're sitting down before you click the link.)

https://www.nippon-yasan.com/figures/23826-macross-zero-1-60-kanzen-henkei-vf-0s-phoenix-premium-finish-limited-edition.html