Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

39 minutes ago, GabrielV said:

I got an Ex-Gokin God Phoenix (repaint version) today.  I'm not sure why it's a "repaint" when it's the original colors of the vehicle, but whatever.

25493563488_d0dd4d35ef_c.jpg

It's been almost 40 years since I first saw Battle of the Planets on TV.  It was the first anime I loved, and while I don't have much affection for the overall show anymore, the iconic characters and vehicles give me the warm fuzzies.  None of them do this moreso than the G-5 Phoenix.  I remember watching that show as a child and wishing I had a die cast Phoenix just like my Dinky Toys Enterprise to play with while I watched the adventures of Mark, Jason, Princess, Tiny, Keyop, and 7-Zark-7.

And you're damn right that I watched the intro to Battle of the Planets earlier while I swooshed this thing around!

The holy trinity is now complete:  Phoenix, Argo/Yamato, and SDF-1, the Genesis of anime for me.  If only I still had the Millennium Queen poster I had in the early 80s, that would be the perfect personal backdrop for the three.

Treatment's photo of his SDF-1 and Yamato over in the Arcadia SDF-1 thread inspired me to do this one:

38485348265_dc897a218b_c.jpg

Beautiful! A proper God Phoenix is what I need but I just can't bring myself to buy that EX Gokin one. Seems like an expensive glorified paperweight and the Unifive one is pretty much unobtainable at a decent price. I'm hoping someone makes a newer, better toy of it someday. That display you have is perfect though. 

10 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Nice! I just read the original Secret Wars again so looking forward to that Klaw figure!

Hopefully there’s one of those BOGO sales so that I can price adjust and end up getting the figures for cheaper.

10 hours ago, Mommar said:

Where did you find it?

At TRU yesterday.  The street date is 1/1 and they did an override at the register to sell it.

14 hours ago, GabrielV said:

I got an Ex-Gokin God Phoenix (repaint version) today.  I'm not sure why it's a "repaint" when it's the original colors of the vehicle, but whatever.

*snip*

The first release of the Fewture Ex-Gokin God Phoenx was the Firebird paint scheme, later they released the repaint which was the normal paint scheme.

Fewture-God-Phoenix-EX-Gokin-Gatchaman-G-5-Firebird.jpg.91133dd53c3056bb4d7486f77b67304c.jpg

13 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Beautiful! A proper God Phoenix is what I need but I just can't bring myself to buy that EX Gokin one. Seems like an expensive glorified paperweight and the Unifive one is pretty much unobtainable at a decent price. I'm hoping someone makes a newer, better toy of it someday. That display you have is perfect though. 

Art Storm (parent company of Fewture EX Gokin) is releasing Big Scale G-5 God Phoenix approx 40cm long, take a look at the price tag... :wacko:

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-033883

9 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

Max is officially here!! After all these years I finally have an M&M set! :D

Congrats @505thAirborne

35 minutes ago, Saburo said:

The first release of the Fewture Ex-Gokin God Phoenx was the Firebird paint scheme, later they released the repaint which was the normal paint scheme.

Fewture-God-Phoenix-EX-Gokin-Gatchaman-G-5-Firebird.jpg.91133dd53c3056bb4d7486f77b67304c.jpg

Art Storm (parent company of Fewture EX Gokin) is releasing Big Scale G-5 God Phoenix approx 40cm long, take a look at the price tag... :wacko:

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-033883

Congrats @505thAirborne

Yeah, I saw that one but it seems to be an even bigger, more expensive paperweight. I want something with the features of the Unifive (hopefully more) and more quality and diecast. Someone should be able to make an excellent, definitive God Phoenix in the $200-$300 range that I would be proud to buy.

1 hour ago, 505thAirborne said:

IMG_9728.JPG

You know what's next on the list? Matching Q-Raus in both Max and Milla colours a la DYRL (if Arcadia decides to make them; that's another rabbit hole all together). :lol:

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

Yeah, I saw that one but it seems to be an even bigger, more expensive paperweight. I want something with the features of the Unifive (hopefully more) and more quality and diecast. Someone should be able to make an excellent, definitive God Phoenix in the $200-$300 range that I would be proud to buy.

Ok. Just to clarify. You don't want an expensive paperweight. But you wanted more quality and diecast content paperweight. Is that correct? :rolleyes:

47 minutes ago, borgified said:

You know what's next on the list? Matching Q-Raus in both Max and Milla colours a la DYRL (if Arcadia decides to make them; that's another rabbit hole all together). :lol:

Why wait for Arcadia? When you can get a used Yamato set for $300+/-. I'm sure if Arcadia reissue those, prices will be doubled. And that's not even Premium Finish. ^_^ 

On 12/28/2017 at 2:42 PM, edstuff said:

Wow 2 things to note.

First is your pics make that toynami voltron look waaaaaay better than Toynami does with their stock photos.

and Second is I'm so mad at myself for spacing on the chogokin one. Argh

Haha Thanks man!

Yea the SOC flew by and the demand was too great for the run they printed. 

14 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Ok. Just to clarify. You don't want an expensive paperweight. But you wanted more quality and diecast content paperweight. Is that correct? :rolleyes:

The EX Gokin does nothing...I think it has some swapable parts to simulate open/closed vents so it doesn't even have built in moveable vents. That's a paperweight to me (although a good looking one). 

The Unifive had opening compartments and all the individual vehicles that could fit into it plus a firebird cover...but it was a bit floppy. 

Gatchaman was my favorite anime before Macross and those stay as my top two all time. There were functional God phoenix toys back in the day so I want Gatchaman toys that are around the same level as Macross toys these days. What I want is something with the features of the unifive and hopefully more but with some better construction, diecast or not.

Make sense?

^ Ofcourse. I’m just kidding on the ‘paperweight’ reference. Since most of the time our collections is just ‘sitting’ when it’s displayed and not doing anything. ;)

Edited by no3Ljm

On 12/28/2017 at 10:11 PM, GabrielV said:

The holy trinity is now complete:  Phoenix, Argo/Yamato, and SDF-1, the Genesis of anime for me.  If only I still had the Millennium Queen poster I had in the early 80s, that would be the perfect personal backdrop for the three.

Treatment's photo of his SDF-1 and Yamato over in the Arcadia SDF-1 thread inspired me to do this one:

38485348265_dc897a218b_c.jpg

That's a goddamn fantastic picture!

You got me thinking about ship sizes so I had to put some of them together to compare...

1/2000 Yamato, 1/2000 Enterprise-D, and 1/3000 SDF-1... which should be 50% bigger than seen here to be in scale. :o

5a47ad8e67b82_sdf-1sizecomparison.thumb.jpg.6bfe894a1f9ccee94aea10f8cdf0a53a.jpg

Can ships be considered hero units? ^_^ (scale is off on this one due to perspective, of course)

5a47b436af352_sdf-1sizecomparison02.jpg.d04a0155bf158c2f30b7bc136577a2ab.jpg

Edited by Lolicon

On 12/28/2017 at 4:14 PM, ZorClone said:

IMG_0093.JPG

Very nice! Though I can think of three things wrong with that pic. :D

20 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

IMG_9728.JPG

Congrats! So jealous and tempted to pick those up... gotta stay strong and hold out for the premiums... :huh:

I don't have any new toy to show you until next week my new Masterpiece Optimus Prime 10b will arrive, but still I want to wish this awesome community a happy new year 2018, my best wishes to all!!!  :D

Now bring on those new Macross  Preorders!!!!

3 hours ago, anubis20 said:

Oh man! Awesome super robot display!! 

Thanks! I figure I'm done with Super Robots since nothing else will fit in there but I do have MB Mazinger on order and I would love a new SOC Dragon Getter and reissue God Sigma. 

5 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Thanks! I figure I'm done with Super Robots since nothing else will fit in there but I do have MB Mazinger on order and I would love a new SOC Dragon Getter and reissue God Sigma. 

Im gonna pass on that MB Maz. I think i have enough Maz with GX-70 and GX-70D

48 minutes ago, anubis20 said:

Im gonna pass on that MB Maz. I think i have enough Maz with GX-70 and GX-70D

I missed the 70D preorder...was a bit bummed about that. Looking forward to the new show and design the MB is based on though. Ironically, it will be my first MB. 

22 minutes ago, dj760 said:

New Year's Eve shopping with the Misses in Little Tokyo and found this in the Jungle. It was different going through the buying experience in-store, a first for me.

YF-19 Weathering.JPG

Nice! That place usually charges a grip for things like that. Hope you didn't get reamed too bad. 

14 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Nice! That place usually charges a grip for things like that. Hope you didn't get reamed too bad. 

Thanks! Seriously, most Macross items were marked up significantly.  I thought it was fairly priced ($158)

14 hours ago, dj760 said:

Thanks! Seriously, most Macross items were marked up significantly.  I thought it was fairly priced ($158)

That's a pretty good price. If the Arcadia was available for only $158... oh man.

Latest arrivals from December. Pretty light month. Will need the breather for all the January and February orders coming up. :rolleyes:

Never bought any Mafex stuff before. Hoping they'll at least be close to Figuarts quality, because I really wanted a Batman Begins version.

5a4bcb9279822_dec2017loot01.jpg.9ecbbdadcb569aa3c505cd382b083118.jpg

The Kai is going to a friend. Other than that, just some books, decals, and some "laser sword" replacements. :D

5a4bcb94ea218_dec2017loot02.jpg.c735e989cdc1770cebbffe8492697dc3.jpg

@Lolicon do you have the Figuarts Dark Knight Batman? How does it compare with the Mafex Batman Begins Batman. I have the Mafex Bane and Joker 2.0 on PO but I would like to have a Batman Begins figure. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Woot! Starting off the new year! 

New Haul 01/02/2018

41 minutes ago, anubis20 said:

@Lolicon do you have the Figuarts Dark Knight Batman? How does it compare with the Mafex Batman Begins Batman. I have the Mafex Bane and Joker 2.0 on PO but I would like to have a Batman Begins figure. 

It's a pretty nice looking and poseable action figure of the Batman Begins suit. Production quality is a bit below Bandai's though. Mine has an obvious rub mark that messes up the nice matt finish of the suit. There's also some weird molding defect on the cowl near his eye... I think I can fix it with some careful xacto knife surgery.

The cape is longer than the Figuarts Dark Knight version, and has wires in it to help hold its shape. And that's my biggest gripe: instead of carefully folding the cape up in the package, it's just haphazardly stuffed in behind the figure, so the wires are all bent when you take it out for the first time. WTF Mafex?

Also unlike the Bandai version, there's no place to attach the grapnel gun to his belt.

He can't turn his head either, but that's movie-accurate. :lol:

The facial expression is better than Bandai's, which has this weird grin. The Christian Bale head looks good too.

The chest plate can be swapped out if you want to display him in the nomex survival suit with no bat symbol.

If you were on the fence, I'd say he's worth picking up, if you like the Batman Begins suit.

I was waiting for this release to decide if I wanted to keep my other Mafex POs. Got Bane, the Joker, Harvey Dent, and Scarecrow.

5a4be58808bf8_mafexbatmancompare.jpg.eecd6a39fb82ecdc53706ed6341fa541.jpg