Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

1 hour ago, borgified said:

Latest Macross acquisition.

The Double CD version of the Frontier OST (Vocal Collection)

@Lolicon: Where you mentioning about the TOS Defiant or the DS9 version? If its DS9 version, I take it on XL format as the regular sized one is lacking in details. 

DSC00632.jpg

Very nice on the CD! 

Yeah they announced an XL Defiant NX-74205 already. Hopefully they address the shortcomings from the small scale one. 

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:11 AM, mechaninac said:

Art Asylum's/Diamond Select's "D" can do it too, but it doesn't have all the pretty lit-up windows.  That Aoshima must be a bloody fortune nowadays, while the smaller non-scale (although, it's about the same size as the old AMT kit, so around 1/1400) nowhere near as awesome AA/DS can be had very reasonably and displays quite well.

The AA/DS ones are really affordable by comparison, but the quality can be really spotty.  I picked up both their 1701-D and the "All Good Things" version, and while the base model is decent, they can't keep the painting consistent.. one version has some pretty sloppy painting on the saucer, and the paintwork on the neck is completely wrong, missing all the windows, and with overdone dark panels.  The paint on the three-nacelled upgrade one is better, but the construction of the additional hull section is sloppy, with some hideous giant screw plugs sticking out.  Their stands are also worthless scrap plastic, unfortunately.

Their best releases that I've seen are the second edition 1701-E, the Excelsior, and the Klingon BoP.  I've also got the TOS and TWOK edition 1701 models, but both of them have some really boneheaded design issues.

Edited by Chronocidal

^No argument there.  Your experience with the AA/DS fare parallels mine.  However, I see them as decent display pieces for anyone looking for affordable large format representations of some iconic Star Trek ships, who won't be to put off by some of their shortcomings and idiosyncrasies, or who just don't want to be bothered building, lighting, and painting model kits (or lack the skills and/or time to do so).  The Aoshima Galaxy Class is stunning, a true centerpiece, but it's cost was prohibitive even when it was first released, and is now even more so.  And as mediocre the AA/DS can seem to be by comparison, they're leagues better than the Playmates garbage that preceded them... with a possible exception of the Defiant from DS9 -- I don't have one but have thought about procuring it -- as it's not represented in the AA/DS lineup and could look decent after a coat of flat lacquer.

6 hours ago, Tking22 said:

Got my third and final pre-Christmas haul in Friday. The Beast Wars MPs are pretty damn awesome, I held off for a while but once Dinobot was announced I knew I was finally all in on the line. I'll probably rear back on official Takara G1 MPs and go more third party, I'm not liking those as much now, but the Beast Wars stuff is great. Mezco Wolverine was worth the wait, I really like him, but the ankle pivot is still half assed, Mezco needs to really get on that.

20171224_135932.thumb.jpg.3d687843a4182e8d2ed4afd7d93cb157.jpg

Nice! Would love to see pics of Wolverine. I passed because the shoulder pads and shorts looked bad in the promo pics. 

4 hours ago, mechaninac said:

^No argument there.  Your experience with the AA/DS fare parallels mine.  However, I see them as decent display pieces for anyone looking for affordable large format representations of some iconic Star Trek ships, who won't be to put off by some of their shortcomings and idiosyncrasies, or who just don't want to be bothered building, lighting, and painting model kits (or lack the skills and/or time to do so).  The Aoshima Galaxy Class is stunning, a true centerpiece, but it's cost was prohibitive even when it was first released, and is now even more so.  And as mediocre the AA/DS can seem to be by comparison, they're leagues better than the Playmates garbage that preceded them... with a possible exception of the Defiant from DS9 -- I don't have one but have thought about procuring it -- as it's not represented in the AA/DS lineup and could look decent after a coat of flat lacquer.

Can't argue with that, and I don't mind having them as easy display pieces.  For what it's worth, even with some of the issues they have, they're actually better detailed than many of the older kits of certain ships.

Plus, I'll be entirely honest.. I picked up the TWOK Enterprise almost purely for the sound effects.  If you leave that one in "Try Me" mode?  You have an instant "KHAAAANNN!" at the push of a button. :) 

I didn't know the Aoshima one was actually that affordable back then though.  If I'd known when it was released, I would've grabbed one probably.

I found this guy on Letgo just recently.    Not gonna admit what I paid for it out of fear of a Tar and Feathering!

I haven't collected any Macross toys in more then 10 years and I always wanted an SDF-1.   Scratch the Robotech part and It's perfect.

Optimized-20171223_203037.jpg

Optimized-20171223_203054.jpg

Optimized-20171223_203113.jpg

Optimized-20171223_203202.jpg

9 hours ago, Saburo said:

I'd like to get your thoughts on the Ultimate EX Voltron, what do you think of it? I am always weary of Toynami releases.

I think its pretty good but the SOC is still king. The real star of the show in this set is the lions themselves, you can get some really nice poses out of them. Voltron itself is good but ball joints for the hips was a dumb decision. Im happy with it, its a different take on Voltron and once assembled its going to tower over most things in your collection. I would recommend it if you can find it on sale for under $300. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Received this little fella yesterday. After the Marvel Revoltechs ive been going back and getting some of the older releases. This one makes for a good little desk toy. 

Revoltech DancougaRevoltech Dancouga

The SV-262 is listed at a length of 17.54m according to the Macross Compendium; the YF-21/VF-22 at 19.62 m.  At 1/60 they should be 29.23cm and 32.70cm, respectively.  The 262 DX measures ~ 29.2cm (just about perfect 1/60), and 21/22 is ~34.1cm long (about 1/57.5).

Bandai's toy is on the money.

Yamato's is over-sized for the claimed scale, but not by that much.

The truth is that the YF-21/VF-22 are just very big birds that outsize every other VF with the exception of the SV-51, at least among produced toys.

In conclusion, the two toys may look a bit off next to each other but they are actually "correctly" sized based on the stats for their "real" selves... the SV-262 will always be smaller than the YF-21 at the same scale.

On 12/26/2017 at 7:50 AM, anubis20 said:

Xmas Haul 12/25/2017

This Voltron is huge!!! HMR 1S for reference

Toynami Voltron Ultimate EX

w/ the SOC

Toynami Voltron Ultimate EX

Wow 2 things to note.

First is your pics make that toynami voltron look waaaaaay better than Toynami does with their stock photos.

and Second is I'm so mad at myself for spacing on the chogokin one. Argh

Finally caught up in this massive thread and figured I'd check in with a few recent and assorted "stuff and thangs" that I've managed to open so far

Figurarts BB-8 added to the droid lineup
i7 8700k (to replace an aging i5 4670k) & mobo
Figuarts TLJ Praetorian (w/heavy blade)
Figuarts TLJ First Order troopers and Executioner
Figuarts Iron Man Mk II re-issue (holy crap this figure is awesome, I believe there's even diecast in the legs)
McFarlane Tiny Tina!!! (holding a teeny tiny Figuarts baby Groot from the pack with Rocket which I haven't taken out yet)

PS. Yall are killing me with the Eaglemoss and Aoshima Star Trek ship pics... ugh I want!  Especially that Aoshima holy crap I wish I'd known about that when it was "only" $150.

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

3 minutes ago, ZorClone said:

Finally caught up in this massive thread and figured I'd check in with a few recent and assorted "stuff and thangs" that I've managed to open so far

Figurarts BB-8 added to the droid lineup
i7 8700k (to replace an aging i5 4670k) & mobo
Figuarts TLJ Praetorian (w/heavy blade)
Figuarts TLJ First Order troopers and Executioner
Figuarts Iron Man Mk II re-issue (holy crap this figure is awesome, I believe there's even diecast in the legs)
McFarlane Tiny Tina!!! (holding a teeny tiny Figuarts baby Groot from the pack with Rocket which I haven't taken out yet)

PS. Yall are killing me with the Eaglemoss and Aoshima Star Trek ship pics... ugh I want!  Especially that Aoshima holy crap I wish I'd known about that when it was "only" $150.

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

Nice haul and pics!

I got an Ex-Gokin God Phoenix (repaint version) today.  I'm not sure why it's a "repaint" when it's the original colors of the vehicle, but whatever.

25493563488_d0dd4d35ef_c.jpg

It's been almost 40 years since I first saw Battle of the Planets on TV.  It was the first anime I loved, and while I don't have much affection for the overall show anymore, the iconic characters and vehicles give me the warm fuzzies.  None of them do this moreso than the G-5 Phoenix.  I remember watching that show as a child and wishing I had a die cast Phoenix just like my Dinky Toys Enterprise to play with while I watched the adventures of Mark, Jason, Princess, Tiny, Keyop, and 7-Zark-7.

And you're damn right that I watched the intro to Battle of the Planets earlier while I swooshed this thing around!

The holy trinity is now complete:  Phoenix, Argo/Yamato, and SDF-1, the Genesis of anime for me.  If only I still had the Millennium Queen poster I had in the early 80s, that would be the perfect personal backdrop for the three.

Treatment's photo of his SDF-1 and Yamato over in the Arcadia SDF-1 thread inspired me to do this one:

38485348265_dc897a218b_c.jpg