Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

hehe! nahhh no vrooming or assisted jumps for the General Lee.. but seeing how so many ppl do with their new Valks, I did however do (as MW member 'Scream Man' so elegantly puts it) "a scale model assisted simulation in physical combat dynamics"

yep I wooshed my VF-1S! but only just a little! :p

Wooooshing a Valk is good for the soul. :D

Finally completed, Feral Rex. :)

15363401391_9168aacbf3_b.jpg

Edited by Saburo

very nice Saburo! Looks menacing!

Thanks, its an impressive figure when combined.

Looks great. Love the light up head.

The lion head on the chest looks nice.

The light up head is a nice addition to this massive figure.

One more pic :)

To quote Russell Peters "Somebody gonna get a hurt real bad...":D or a TF take on Attack on Titan. :

15185319257_f2dc6b082d_b.jpg

Nice! Cue epic music! More like Attack on Titans!

The End Run from the Mass Effect 2 soundtrack was playing in my head as I took pics.

He's in deep poodoo

Yes, very deep. :)

What a cool group shot! I loved Devastator when I was a kid. wish I never got rid of the constructicons I had.. :(

Devastator was one of the few TFs toys I had as kid and was my favorite. I lost him in the storage facility fire, but now I have a 3P Dev so his memory lives on. :)

Edited by Saburo

Devastator was one of the few TFs toys I had as kid and was my favorite. I lost him in the storage facility fire, but now I have a 3P Dev so his memory lives on. :)

Hearing about that storage fire incident still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end.. so sad for all those poor helpless collectibles that perished that day.. :(

Edited by spanner76

Hearing about that storage fire incident still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end.. so sad for all those poor helpless collectibles that perished that day.. :(

It was a dark day when they got melted down, at least now I have modern versions of them so that helps. :)

Thanks, its an impressive figure when combined.

The light up head is a nice addition to this massive figure.

One more pic :)

To quote Russell Peters "Somebody gonna get a hurt real bad...":D or a TF take on Attack on Titan. :

15185319257_f2dc6b082d_b.jpg

Oh man...Optimus is taking them on by himself??

Oh boy.....

...they're gonna need backup.

So I picked this up on my Sunday Popeyes chicken run.

7XTlkQXl.jpg

The plastic weld is suppose to work on ABS, PVC ect. I'm at a total loss on how to use it though.. as it appears you need to mix something.

The other stuff looks like fancy super glue.

Any of you guys used similar product before? Tips are appreciated.

I need to grab some nail polish though.

Also, Jungle refunded me $20 bucks. Took a week of back and forth and opening a paypal claim but they did it haha

Edited by Gakken85

^

41c8xkiKRbL.jpg

Amazon

41xCY7WyOYL.jpg

Amazon

AMBR-110-2.jpg

Model Train Stuff

The above are examples of what you should be looking for. I could be wrong but, the first picture you posted looks like Super Glue designed for plastic and is likely to have some of the same drawbacks as regular CA, and would be applied straight from the tube; the second appears to be a two-part epoxy for plastic that requires you to evenly squeeze the syringe to deposit two equal blobs onto a scrap piece of paper or platic to be manually mixed into a milky gel to be applied with a toothpick -- too messy to use on a delicate toy like a VF-1.

What you want to get is a clear, low viscosity liquid that flows like water and is usually applied with an included brush, and that works by chemically melting the plastic being bonded.

Make sure the nail polish is acetone based, or buy a super glue remover. As with any chemicals being applied to your toy, test the stuff on a small hidden area to make sure it has no adverse effect on the plastic.

Edit: Congratulations on getting the refund, at least it is something.

Edited by mechaninac

Sorry for sidetracking this thread but I need to fix the part right below the knee joint on my MP-09B. It is the plastic part where the screw from the assembly that holds the knee joint goes in to keep the parts together. It is the part where the screw I circled in the image goes in:

post-18307-0-75633200-1411940986_thumb.png

Image courtesy of x2otoys.com

First question is this part ABS and can be welded together?

Second question if it is weldable how would I do it in a way so I can assemble the piece after the glue tried.

Hope your Valkyrie is well soon Gakken.

Edited by Scyla

Tamiya also has an ABS cement available:

post-5492-0-68559700-1411940432_thumb.jpg

Gakken, I agree with mechaninac. I have had limited success with super glue, and use it primarily to fill in cracks with baking soda. I have one Yamato VF-1S with a clean break that goes straight through the pin hinge like your Super Ostrich, and I tried similar glues to the ones in your photo. I wasn't able to get a satisfactory bond using either product and finally went to the local hobby shop.

I need to clean the gunk off my pieces before trying again, but I now have the cement/solvent that I need and will let you know how it goes.

Edited by technoblue

A few more pics of my new FFR-31 Suoer Sylph as requested by Keiichi.

The first with my VF-25 and YF-19 for scale comparison purposes.

iPhone quality only sorry.

post-17939-0-65109000-1411947390_thumb.jpg

post-17939-0-00320600-1411947611_thumb.jpg

post-17939-0-32462500-1411947627_thumb.jpg

post-17939-0-23978100-1411947649_thumb.jpg

post-17939-0-15670400-1411947672_thumb.jpg

post-17939-0-43430200-1411947874_thumb.jpg

post-17939-0-13729100-1411947892_thumb.jpg

post-17939-0-24997500-1411947917_thumb.jpg

post-17939-0-13237200-1411947939_thumb.jpg

Edited by Moosey

A few more pics of my new FFR-31 Suoer Sylph as requested by Keiichi.

The first with my VF-25 and YF-19 for scale comparison purposes.

iPhone quality only sorry.

Awesome! Thank you, Moosey! Just what I wanted to see, it looks great. Thanks again for putting these pics up so quickly!

Awesome! Thank you, Moosey! Just what I wanted to see, it looks great. Thanks again for putting these pics up so quickly!

No probs! Glad to help. Gave me an excuse to open it (don't really have room for display at the mo)

Sorry for sidetracking this thread but I need to fix the part right below the knee joint on my MP-09B. It is the plastic part where the screw from the assembly that holds the knee joint goes in to keep the parts together. It is the part where the screw I circled in the image goes in:

attachicon.gifmp_09b.png

Image courtesy of x2otoys.com

First question is this part ABS and can be welded together?

Second question if it is weldable how would I do it in a way so I can assemble the piece after the glue tried.

Hope your Valkyrie is well soon Gakken.

As long as you have all the pieces of the screw boss, you should be able to reconstruct it without much trouble with any plastic weld that has been discussed here.

• Dry fit everything to see how it all should align before introducing the solvent; then liberally brush the cement all over the surfaces of the screw boss while avoiding contact with the outside surfaces.
  • Once everything is coated and loosely held together, apply a bit of pressure to the repair to force some melted plastic oozing to occur.
  • After letting the repair cure overnight, use super glue around the repaired boss to reinforce it. Build up this reinforcement as much as you can without it becoming visible from the outside, or interfering with the mating part(s).
  • Test out the reassembly to make sure it all mates as it should and there are no interferences resulting from the fix... cut, file, sand, scrape, drill as necessary to address any problems.
  • If everything fits as it intended, you should be able to reassemble the parts the same way they came from the factory, screws and all.

These steps have worked for me to great effect when repairing some seriously disintegrated screw bosses on some vintage 1/60 Orguss toys... anyone who has owned an Ishkick or M Lover toy knows how brittle the ABS on those are and how prone to shattering to bits their joint tend to be; yet, I have been able to salvage more than one in this fashion.

love the Yukikaze fighters! might have to get me a few of these!

Don't delay, I bought this one as a rerelease but the prices for the original release were sky high before that.

They've also re released the FFR-41 which I already have (I paid a fortune for it on eBay not suspecting a rerelease was round the corner)

They are beautifully made and finished I have to say but I was surprised that they were all plastic. Thought there would be more metal.

Not that it bothers me, you just have to handle them carefully - especially when adding armament or putting the landing gear pieces on.

Edited by Moosey

Don't delay, I bought this one as a rerelease but the prices for the original release were sky high before that.

They've also re released the FFR-41 which I already have (I paid a fortune for it on eBay not suspecting a rerelease was round the corner)

They are beautifully made and finished I have to say but I was surprised that they were all plastic. Thought there would be more metal.

Not that it bothers me, you just have to handle them carefully - especially when adding armament or putting the landing gear pieces on.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be sure to check out what's out there. Just gotta see what my back balance is like first..

Yeah, I've had valks on the list that didn't break. either way they should have listed it if they knew. If they didn't it's still damaged.

I called paypal and opened up a claim. We'll see. I'll have to eat the shipping but the replacement shoulder wouldn't be painted correctly, so I don't see how helpful that would be.

I'm not a hobby guy haha

Although they may have known they probably know it is a manufacturer issue as they do know their stuff, and thought someone who managed to navigate to the VT-1 from the other side of the world probably expects it. Personally i would be more annoyed if it had been sold to me by a private person!

Well, they never actually told me why it was listed as a B. Even though I've asked three times now. Even if they know it's a manufactured issue they should list it. Other than the bum shoulder it's a pristine piece. So they must have known and didn't list the problem, AND didn't mention it in a follow-up before the purchase.

For a $140 dollar markup over MSRP + shipping I think they owe a buyer more communication.

At any rate this should help them in the future if they buy from the same person. Either way... Jungle won't get my cash unless it's super rare and sealed. Not pleased at all haha.

Edited by Gakken85

As long as you have all the pieces of the screw boss, you should be able to reconstruct it without much trouble with any plastic weld that has been discussed here.

• Dry fit everything to see how it all should align before introducing the solvent; then liberally brush the cement all over the surfaces of the screw boss while avoiding contact with the outside surfaces.
  • Once everything is coated and loosely held together, apply a bit of pressure to the repair to force some melted plastic oozing to occur.
  • After letting the repair cure overnight, use super glue around the repaired boss to reinforce it. Build up this reinforcement as much as you can without it becoming visible from the outside, or interfering with the mating part(s).
  • Test out the reassembly to make sure it all mates as it should and there are no interferences resulting from the fix... cut, file, sand, scrape, drill as necessary to address any problems.
  • If everything fits as it intended, you should be able to reassemble the parts the same way they came from the factory, screws and all.

These steps have worked for me to great effect when repairing some seriously disintegrated screw bosses on some vintage 1/60 Orguss toys... anyone who has owned an Ishkick or M Lover toy knows how brittle the ABS on those are and how prone to shattering to bits their joint tend to be; yet, I have been able to salvage more than one in this fashion.

Thanks I will try this. The screw boss (new word learned) is still in one piece but cracked. Maybe the best way would be to insert the glue with a needle into the cracks and let it dry. However I can't reinforce the piece on the outside because the boss is used for the knee joint so anything that changes the diameter won't work unless I widen hole in the joint. If I have access glue on the screw boss I can probably sand it down without damaging the part itself.

I'm rolling in resin now.

post-12411-0-63780900-1412046405_thumb.jpg

The VF-X kits I picked up though akim. I've now got the whole launch arm set. The Gigamesh I picked up on Yahoo Japan auctions for a stupidly low price.

OMG where did you get that Feff!!! I've been after that for years! That's my holy grail of resin!

edit: (just read, got to excited and didn't actually read you post lol) that makes me cry, cause I just searched yahoo the other day. good score

Edited by happy_spike

OMG where did you get that Feff!!! I've been after that for years! That's my holy grail of resin!

edit: (just read, got to excited and didn't actually read you post lol) that makes me cry, cause I just searched yahoo the other day. good score

Mandarake has had one forever.