Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

4 hours ago, sqidd said:

What line is this? How do I find some? I think I need a Falcon and Tie Fighter!:D

See, @vlenhoff?  This is what happens when you repaint your old Hasbro toys... :lol:

11 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Despite their distinctively oversized and disproportioned cockpits, casual fans can't recognize 'em...!  :p

6 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

481943217_tiebox.thumb.jpg.7f4889d8c8eee335945cef809aa08de6.jpg

Not even when your coffee table and sofa are there to establish scale.  ^_^

36 minutes ago, tekering said:

See, @vlenhoff?  This is what happens when you repaint your old Hasbro toys... :lol:

Despite their distinctively oversized and disproportioned cockpits, casual fans can't recognize 'em...!  :p

Lol, shows my attention span. I just saw the quoted pics of detailed SW ships so assumed they were the X-Wing Game versions. That is sweet work!

16 hours ago, anubis20 said:

I was super excited about MP-44 but the issue with the knees killed it for me. 

New Purchase 09/05/2019

Also got Mafex Venom but havent gotten a chance to mess with it yet

New Purchase 09/05/2019

Re MP-44, I may be an outlier on this one, but I'm not exactly impressed with it.  If anything, it seems more like Bandai's retooling of Yamato's 1/48's, rebranding it as their own - in this case, Takara choosing to reinvent the Masterpiece line more in keeping with the cartoon aesthetic rather than a retooling of a competitor's take on things.  Problem is, with the advances in computer technology that see the cost of CAD design dropping on almost a daily basis, whereas the cost of labor, NAFTA agreements, and the cost of supplies and shipping skyrocketing on an international scale - in short, the cost of global production - this "rebranding" (if you want to call it that) smacks of nothing more than a cheap attempt to get rid of all the frills on any given Masterpiece toy - like chrome pipes and bumpers, which are cost centers no doubt - and replace them with undeniable advances in product design, which is also undeniably cheaper these days, employing as they do far less workers and working to scale at a much cheaper price on the design side given the advances in technology.  

Masterpiece was originally designed to be a real world counterpart to the cartoon characters which grounded their transformation technology in a sense.  Now, that's been completely reversed.  I'm not saying it doesn't have a certain charm - it does - but I do find it lacking in that certain higher calling if you will, that "Masterpiece" aesthetic which was almost like a call to arms for adult collectors - the sense that your highest dreams and aims as a closet collector (as we all were as children) could in fact be realized given the advances in technology.  To see those same advances turn back the clock, so to speak, seems like a bit of shame to me.  Not to mention a cheap ploy to mask the current realities of the global marketplace.

Edited by MacrossMania

7 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Yes, as mentioned above, these are all hasbro toys, including the legacy Millennium Falcon[2.5 feet long]. I have done a paint job on most of them. Yes i know the scale is not perfect, or some of the proportions, but i am very happy and satisfied with my fleet :D

Particularly the snow speeder, which I got piece by piece cheaply on ebay. Then I had to paint it almost completely since all the different parts were different shades of yellow, lol. 

1119819555_ALLships.thumb.jpg.5439f2d00f75f0161d6c9983d6204e33.jpg

and it still a work in progress thing, as i only paint them, when i am in the mood to do so...

Edited by vlenhoff

6 hours ago, tekering said:

Triple post,sorry... but thanks for the compliment!

I do have to say, other than a bit of a flimsy click on one of the wings, this Tie fighter is finally the best one i've ever had. (when compared to the typical hasbro tie fighter with their diminutive wings.)Tie.thumb.jpg.0de70008d121844b453ec31e225b3690.jpg

Edited by vlenhoff

2 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

I paid 41 dollars including shipping. I thought half price was good enough. I had no idea walmart did such a crazy sale.

Still not bad. I would have bit at that price myself had I not known about the even lower price.

1 hour ago, vlenhoff said:

Yes, as mentioned above, these are all hasbro toys, including the legacy Millennium Falcon[2.5 feet long]. I have done a paint job on most of them. Yes i know the scale is not perfect, or some of the proportions, but i am very happy and satisfied with my fleet :D

Particularly the snow speeder, which I got piece by piece cheaply on ebay. Then I had to paint it almost completely since all the different parts were different shades of yellow, lol. 

1119819555_ALLships.thumb.jpg.5439f2d00f75f0161d6c9983d6204e33.jpg

and it still a work in progress thing, as i only paint them, when i am in the mood to do so...

Amazing job again! That Legacy Falcon is one of my prized posessions. Still need to open it someday.

9 hours ago, Slave IV said:

There are Bandai kits if you have the time, patience and skills to make those to the level you desire.

Never a fan of Voltron but as a fan of bad ass, quality toys, I had to get this. Not regretting it at all.:p

I don't have the time to build/paint stuff. I wish I did. Between the business and 2000+mi/yr mountain biking, I'm over-booked.:blink: It would have to be something right out of a box.

I can't say I'm a Voltron fan perse. Not like Macross. Not even close. But, he does hold a little nostalgia. And looks SUPER COOL!!!

I don't see movies in theaters much. Maybe once year tops. So my family doesn't really expect that I will go to any. That is unless it has giant robots., giant monster, or better yet, giant robots and/or monsters fighting each other! Guess what movies I have seen in the theater in the past 10yrs. Then add Mad Max........because Mad Max.

6 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Still not bad. I would have bit at that price myself had I not known about the even lower price.

Amazing job again! That Legacy Falcon is one of my prized posessions. Still need to open it someday.

That Legacy Falcon is worth a pretty penny AFAIK, in the box.

5 hours ago, sqidd said:

I don't have the time to build/paint stuff. I wish I did. Between the business and 2000+mi/yr mountain biking, I'm over-booked.:blink: It would have to be something right out of a box.

I can't say I'm a Voltron fan perse. Not like Macross. Not even close. But, he does hold a little nostalgia. And looks SUPER COOL!!!

I don't see movies in theaters much. Maybe once year tops. So my family doesn't really expect that I will go to any. That is unless it has giant robots., giant monster, or better yet, giant robots and/or monsters fighting each other! Guess what movies I have seen in the theater in the past 10yrs. Then add Mad Max........because Mad Max.

I hear that , i have very little time for hobbies. I've been painting that falcon for nearly 2 years now, and I am still not done. I even used a dremel to inflict the Laser shots damage, to make it more realistic. One day it will be complete, but we all have only so much time. 

7 hours ago, sqidd said:

Then you are like me and have to settle for the Hasbro Vintage or Legacy collection releases every other year. .or wait a minute, I do recall Bandai also made some Chogokin Star Wars vehicles or was it just something they teased? Don’t remember but probably worth looking into. 

That Mad Max remake was one of the few great remakes. 

So Pacific Rim, Godzilla, maybe Ready Player One?

1 hour ago, vlenhoff said:

That Legacy Falcon is worth a pretty penny AFAIK, in the box.

I hear that , i have very little time for hobbies. I've been painting that falcon for nearly 2 years now, and I am still not done. I even used a dremel to inflict the Laser shots damage, to make it more realistic. One day it will be complete, but we all have only so much time. 

Yeah, a good friend offered me some decent cash for my Falcon. I had to turn him down. I can never sell something I only have one of, especially that piece. If I had two, yeah he would have got it and I would have made a profit and we’d both still be happy campers because I think it’s worth double what he offered now. 

Edited by Slave IV

I decided I didn't like the brass cases I got (they never made it in from the shop) and put them up for sale. Drove 8hrs round trip today to go pick these babies up. Holy shelf space Batman! Holy bright LED's! They're huge! 78 x 40 x16.5! Time to fill them up.

Holy crap, they're heavy!

Gonna put a Detolf on each side.

Ignore my crappy office carpet. I didn't realize it was that bad......

Cabinets.jpg

Edited by sqidd

Very nice display cabinets!  That's is some serious dedication to drive 8 hours back and forth.  You must have a pretty big truck and drove very carefully with all that fragile glass.  I'm guessing that they came disassembled and you had to put them together.  Post one shelf at a time as you fill it, and then the final version if you can so we can follow along.  :lol:

5 hours ago, sqidd said:

I decided I didn't like the brass cases I got (they never made it in from the shop) and put them up for sale. Drove 8hrs round trip today to go pick these babies up. Holy shelf space Batman! Holy bright LED's! They're huge! 78 x 40 x16.5! Time to fill them up.

Holy crap, they're heavy!

Gonna put a Detolf on each side.

Ignore my crappy office carpet. I didn't realize it was that bad......

Cabinets.jpg

I see no carpet, just two awesome display cases!! B))

6 hours ago, ChristopherB said:

Very nice display cabinets!  That's is some serious dedication to drive 8 hours back and forth.  You must have a pretty big truck and drove very carefully with all that fragile glass.  I'm guessing that they came disassembled and you had to put them together.  Post one shelf at a time as you fill it, and then the final version if you can so we can follow along.  :lol:

Just a F-150 with a 6.5' bed. I couldn't close the tailgate. Missed it by about an inch (story of my life!). That wasn't a problem, I have TONS of straps. I would have to roll the truck to get the cabs out. And at that point the cabs are the least of my worries!!:shok:

Strapping them down and padding them so they wouldn't get damaged was nerve wracking. I had blankets covering them and then heavy gauge cardboard over that at contact points. And a lot of straps. But once in and loaded I was pretty confident.. I set the cruise control at 78mph and hammer'd the drive out non stop.

The 8hr drive saved me $1700 over buying them new (that's includes gas money). That's $212.50/hr. Not too bad when you look at it that way.;)

They don't disassemble. Which was nice in the sense that I didn't spend the time. Bad in the sense that they're HEAVY! My estimate is 300# and no good way to grab them. If they had "bars" to grab it would have been a lot easier. Loading them in was easy because the pick up point was set up really well to do it. Getting them in the house was a different matter. I'm pretty damn strong (305 bench, 550 deadlift, 415 squat) and by the time the second one was in my office I was done. I wouldn't have wanted to move another because of a fear of dropping it. Thank goodness my neighbor is a ex college football lineman. He's not in that kind of shape anymore, but he is still a monster.

On 9/6/2019 at 11:04 AM, vlenhoff said:

So, this happened...

481943217_tiebox.thumb.jpg.7f4889d8c8eee335945cef809aa08de6.jpg

About 49% off including shipping, on Ebay. These used to go for 80 bucks.

I really need them to re-release Vader's tie and the bomber, then I'll have one of each fighter.  Sadly I paid the original $80 when I saw it on the shelf, but considering the size and detail, I can't even say I regret it that much.  The trouble with heavy discounts is that it tempts me to buy more of them, and then I run out of space even faster. :lol: 

4 minutes ago, ErikElvis said:

I want that zaku so bad but I don’t need him or have any space for him.  Maaaybe I’ll start selling old things for my new wants. 

I didn't "need" it either but as any kind of Gundam fan (I'm a very light Gundam fan), I feel that getting it puts a cap on my Gundam collection so I never need another one or a RX-78-2 again after I get the two of them together in Metal Composite form. Of course, they announced the CF green version so after experiencing how great this one is, I'll "need" one of those too.:lol:

12 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Nice pickups and displays!

Another shot of this guy since I just got back into the office to be able to mess with it again.

Gundam_MC_Zaku3.jpg.5553fbad4920addc669591c31e490e30.jpg

Locked and loaded!

Did he come with the stand?

I ordered one of this guy after I saw yours.;)

24 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I didn't "need" it either but as any kind of Gundam fan (I'm a very light Gundam fan), I feel that getting it puts a cap on my Gundam collection so I never need another one or a RX-78-2 again after I get the two of them together in Metal Composite form. Of course, they announced the CF green version so after experiencing how great this one is, I'll "need" one of those too.:lol:

Oh man a green one. Ok I’ll def have to get that.