Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

8 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

I have to admit, I am of 2 minds regarding the VF-4's design. Part of me thinks it looks neat and futuristic. But part of me also finds the way it mounts missiles to be strange. Why not put wing hard points, to allow for a variety of ordinance? It seemingly cannot use reaction weapons as a result. Also, seemingly no use of fast packs, super or strike parts, or armor. It's use of 10 wings or fins (vs the VF-1's 6.... 2 for the wings, 2 for the tail fins, and 2 fins on the legs) make it seem like it is most suited for atmospheric flight, making me wonder if that era had a separate space-superiority fighter and the VF-4 was an air-superiority fighter?

Like everyone else said it does have hardpoints but the Yamato/Arcadia version went for the sleek look. A few MW members have done hardpoint mods using a magnet as I recall. The VF-4 was the main UN Spacy fighter for a while before the VF-11 entered service to replace it.

Variable-Fighter-Master-File-VF-4-Lightning-III-master-_1.jpg

032792b1137889c9fa811febb60987e3.jpg

8 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

I have to admit, I am of 2 minds regarding the VF-4's design. Part of me thinks it looks neat and futuristic. But part of me also finds the way it mounts missiles to be strange. Why not put wing hard points, to allow for a variety of ordinance? It seemingly cannot use reaction weapons as a result. Also, seemingly no use of fast packs, super or strike parts, or armor. It's use of 10 wings or fins (vs the VF-1's 6.... 2 for the wings, 2 for the tail fins, and 2 fins on the legs) make it seem like it is most suited for atmospheric flight, making me wonder if that era had a separate space-superiority fighter and the VF-4 was an air-superiority fighter?

References of supers and strike packs mounted are in the masterfile book...

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/42469-macross-master-file/?page=4

You can pose these questions in the http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/forum/2-movies-and-tv-series/ thread and am sure a detailed discussion with seto will shed some light...

recent discussion on the vf4g for example..http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/45063-super-macross-mecha-fun-time-discussion-thread/?page=13&tab=comments#comment-1377025

17 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

:lol:

Which one is the V2 Vader? Episode IV or VI? Or some other release I never saw. 

Well I just call it Star Wars but ever since the prequels came out people get confused if you don’t say Episode IV or A New Hope.  

27 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

:lol:

Which one is the V2 Vader? Episode IV or VI? Or some other release I never saw. 

V2 SHF Vader is from Ep. IV, A New Hope. 

The original SHF Vader is from Ep. VI, Return of the Jedi. 

2 hours ago, Mommar said:

Well I just call it Star Wars but ever since the prequels came out people get confused if you don’t say Episode IV or A New Hope.  

I wasn't asking about the movie titles since you just said V.2 Vader. I wanted to know which was the newer release, the episode 4 or 6 Figuarts Vader. 

2 hours ago, Slave IV said:

V2 SHF Vader is from Ep. IV, A New Hope. 

The original SHF Vader is from Ep. VI, Return of the Jedi. 

That's what I wanted know. Thanks! 

12 hours ago, dizman said:

032792b1137889c9fa811febb60987e3.jpg

This a really cool pic of the VF-4. 

Does anyone know where I can find accessories like the deck crew that will scale with the Arcadia VF-4?

No packages in quite some time, and then as usual I get multiple packages in at once, plus a few more ill-advised, spontaneous Lego purchases. V2 Figuarts Vader is by far superior to the original, taller, better sculpt, and a fabric cape. While not UCS, I REALLY like the Lando Falcon all built up, it's got more gaps in the opening panels than the Force Awakens Falcon we got just a few years ago, but I really like the colors, and Lego young Lando is awesome. I fraked my back up last weekend hanging with some friends, stayed in Saturday, Sunday, stayed home from work Monday, and watched Adam West Batman, film included. Had to get this set, retiring soon, West himself passed away, not worth original retail I would agree, but I nabbed it for $140 cash brand new in town off Craigslist, didn't get stabbed.

20180502_194214.thumb.jpg.0a5074f792e4b87663d5cb5a96cf8f8a.jpg

20180502_194922.thumb.jpg.f8032137fc15d6c5e3fa99049062ef08.jpg

20180502_195319.thumb.jpg.902d09c2e801d8f5ca1d1508ee8281f8.jpg

On 4/30/2018 at 5:31 PM, Slave IV said:

Thanks! That's pretty much the info I wanted. I love TFW but I don't even check the regular or 3P threads there anymore. Too much nonsense, not enough new stuff that interests me. 

Lol I'll be that guy.

-Terminus was sold in one box barely a month after release, most shops only carry the A & B set now.

-Proportions are completely subjective, Omega looked like both Gabe and Terminus in the cartoon due to how old and piss poor it was drawn, proper proportions will vary from person to person.

-TG Does seem to have balance issues for some, mine seems fine and isn't anywhere near as bad as some I've seen online. On the opposite end many are reporting getting their DX9 Gabe in covered in water, some are even reporting mold, and some are reporting paint issues and chips.

-DX9 Gabe is actually slightly heavier then TG, Benscollectibles showed this off and had a very good comparison.

Either way both are an expensive gamble, either can have issues. I personally don't like the newer MP figures that are super toon accurate, I passed on several myself, I prefer the older MPs like the Datsuns and Lambos that have more detail, and are more toon and toy blend. Gabe is what Takara would make, straight out of the toon to a fault in my opinion, TG has more detail and in my opinion a far superior base mode, which is oddly important to me, he also could wobble on you. Like most Transformers, mileage will vary from person to person.

18 minutes ago, anubis20 said:

SDF-1 PF Arrived ^_^ I was wondering how Arcadia was shipping them since it was 1 per case. They just taped both boxes together :lol:

New Haul 05/03/2018

Love seeing those brown boxes lol 

Wish I bought one, congrats :good:

33 minutes ago, anubis20 said:

SDF-1 PF Arrived ^_^ I was wondering how Arcadia was shipping them since it was 1 per case. They just taped both boxes together :lol:

Have you opened one yet? Do they even seem like they are worth it? They looked wholly unimpressive in promo shots, especially considering what Arcadia is charging for these things.

6 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

Have you opened one yet? Do they even seem like they are worth it? They looked wholly unimpressive in promo shots, especially considering what Arcadia is charging for these things.

Promo shots definitely don't do the phosphorescent paint justice.  I've done my best to depict the glow-in-the-dark effect with multiple exposures:

5ae9de323134f_cruiserwithrunninglights.thumb.jpg.6ba7ea52ad109e2f1e0cc999bba92ba4.jpg

5ae9de2fdd842_cruiserclose-up.thumb.jpg.a7fe41180a2e49b0f633b3dbebb8bf90.jpg

5ae9095702b78_Macrosscity.thumb.jpg.272f6f828d230978c1fadb44338c0031.jpg

5aea9db0577e6_lastone.thumb.jpg.b63512802800cd512e377ad66b60a4f2.jpg

PF SDF-1 Looks great to me! Thanks for all the pics @tekering

1 hour ago, Tking22 said:

Lol I'll be that guy.

-Terminus was sold in one box barely a month after release, most shops only carry the A & B set now.

-Proportions are completely subjective, Omega looked like both Gabe and Terminus in the cartoon due to how old and piss poor it was drawn, proper proportions will vary from person to person.

-TG Does seem to have balance issues for some, mine seems fine and isn't anywhere near as bad as some I've seen online. On the opposite end many are reporting getting their DX9 Gabe in covered in water, some are even reporting mold, and some are reporting paint issues and chips.

-DX9 Gabe is actually slightly heavier then TG, Benscollectibles showed this off and had a very good comparison.

Either way both are an expensive gamble, either can have issues. I personally don't like the newer MP figures that are super toon accurate, I passed on several myself, I prefer the older MPs like the Datsuns and Lambos that have more detail, and are more toon and toy blend. Gabe is what Takara would make, straight out of the toon to a fault in my opinion, TG has more detail and in my opinion a far superior base mode, which is oddly important to me, he also could wobble on you. Like most Transformers, mileage will vary from person to person.

Thanks for your input as well! I was mainly just curious as a fan of MP style Transformers but I don't actually plan on getting either one. Too big and too expensive for something I don't care that much about and I'm not really a fan of either company. I watched a review of the FT version and it seems pretty good, haven't watched any review for the DX9 yet.

16 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

Not yet, im still at work :unsure: I built the Yamato kit and trust me with the amount of work that goes into building one of these and panel lining it its definitely worth it. The design may look simple but it was a lot more work that I expected when I built mine and I didnt even add any of the glow in the dark stuff. 

Few pics of the one I built ages ago, sold it to someone here but cant remember who :lol:

Yamato 1/3000 SDF-1 Assembly Kit Yamato 1/3000 SDF-1 Assembly Kit

16 minutes ago, tekering said:

Promo shots definitely don't do the phosphorescent paint justice.  I've done my best to depict the glow-in-the-dark effect with multiple exposures:

That does look handsome! I have to decide if I want one or not in the next week or so, my buddy Rex is insane and grabbed three but only wants two, he said he'd sell me one for just the retail price, no shipping for me!

edit: Liked your photos too! Forgot we could do that.

Edited by Tking22

A couple of new arrivals in the mail today.

1. Yamato 1/60 VF-19 Kai

image.png.45d37ea1a1424882ef8676edb07db447.png

2. Yamato v2 1/60 VF-1A TV Max

image.png.b1069448775c4bd5ff68c8b5ed60f5c4.png

3. HMR VF-1S 35th anniversary (not pictured )

I hope CD Japan does more of these outlet deals. The price is great, and I don't see any problems at all with the outlet HMR valk I just received.

P.S.

I need more cabinet space or something.

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

13 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

A couple of new arrivals in the mail today.

1. Yamato 1/60 VF-19 Kai

image.png.45d37ea1a1424882ef8676edb07db447.png

2. Yamato v2 1/60 VF-1A TV Max

image.png.b1069448775c4bd5ff68c8b5ed60f5c4.png

3. HMR VF-1S 35th anniversary (not pictured )

I hope CD Japan does more of these outlet deals. The price is great, and I don't see any problems at all with the outlet HMR valk I just received.

P.S.

I need more cabinet space or something.

If you don't mind a different display angle, and the shelves are high enough, I've had some good success standing a large assortment of valks on their feet in fighter mode.  It just takes a little experimentation with the angles of the feet and ankles to make sure they balance well, but they're usually pretty sturdy for me, even on carpet.

@Shizuka the Cat: You can try some acrylic stands and shuffle your valks around for a display that you like (and also ArchieNov's idea). 

If you need a bigger display stand without taking a beating to your wallet, you can try looking at second hand furniture stores or look thought websites that offer used furniture (not totally destroyed) for sale.

Edit: Which reminds me that I'm looking for a wider display cabinet for my collection. The two Detolfs that I have are not space friendly and doing the double detolf mod is not a viable option as I would like to keep my detolfs intact.   

Edited by borgified

3 minutes ago, borgified said:

@Shizuka the Cat: You can try some acrylic stands and shuffle your valks around for a display that you like (and also ArchieNov's idea) 

If you need a bigger display stand without taking a beating to your wallet, you can try looking at second hand furniture stores or look thought websites that offer used furniture (not totally destroyed) for sale.  

My current display cabinet can have 1/60 VF-1 models parked facing forwards, but both the VF-4 and the VF-19 Kai are too long, which is why I had to put them in facing sideways. Also, even going in sideways, the VF-19 Kai's wing span barely fit.

So, does anyone here have any recommendations on display cabinets? Would appreciate some Amazon links or whatnot.

Thanks!

@Shizuka the Cat:

Here's a few following links that might help out

https://www.amazon.com/Coaster-Home-Furnishings-950179-Cabinet/dp/B00FPGP7W0/ref=pd_sim_196_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00FPGP7W0&pd_rd_r=SYFC62X24638AEGE8VZF&pd_rd_w=ojdOE&pd_rd_wg=62jss&psc=1&refRID=SYFC62X24638AEGE8VZF

Make sure that you don't have anything heavy if you decide to get this according to one of the reviewer. As for the famous Ikea Detolf that we all grown to love due to it's affordability (building it is another story).

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10119206/#/10119206

And the other option noted by Sanity - Use Craigslist as well. You can really get good deals on pre-owned ones. ^_^

I'm not a big fan of Detolfs but you can get them fairly cheap compared to other solutions.

If you have access to store liquidations you could snag a few professional display cabinets if you are lucky. I got some of my cabinets from a optician and they are fairly nice. 

Detolfs are not the best cabinets around, but they're decent enough and they are excellent bang for the buck. I got all my Detolfs at my local Ikea for $59 each. It's also pretty cheap and easy to rig some LED lights in them.

Couple of random shots of my hastily rigged Detolfs.

5aeb8a6864698_detolf01.jpg.f9260439052ddac737d9fe7b87275b98.jpg

5aeb8a6e3695a_detolf02.jpg.d51650fa32241ee6f056a66902ae117e.jpg

6 hours ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

Love seeing those brown boxes lol 

Wish I bought one, congrats :good:

Anubis is just playing. Those are empty boxes. Hahaha! :lol:

Congrats @anubis20! :good: ;) 

51 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

5aeb8a6e3695a_detolf02.jpg.d51650fa32241ee6f056a66902ae117e.jpg

Hey Lolicon. Care to share what tan paint you use on your VF-4? Thanks! ^_^

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Anubis is just playing. Those are empty boxes. Hahaha! :lol:

Congrats @anubis20! :good: ;) 

Hey Lolicon. Care to share what tan paint you use on your VF-4? Thanks! ^_^

It was a Gunze Sangyo tan color. Sorry I don't remember the exact name or code. (It was my first time detailing a valkyrie toy. :rolleyes:

Just now, Lolicon said:

It was a Gunze Sangyo tan color. Sorry I don't remember the exact name or code. (It was my first time detailing a valkyrie toy. :rolleyes:

Thanks man. I'll check around what other tan they have. ;) 

By the way, if that's your 'first time' detailing a Valk, then I can't imagine how perfect is your 'second time'. :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Thanks man. I'll check around what other tan they have. ;) 

By the way, if that's your 'first time' detailing a Valk, then I can't imagine how perfect is your 'second time'. :rolleyes:

I dunno, I chose to start on a very expensive and hard to replace Yamato VF-4 back then lol

More experienced now, and am dissatisfied with all the screwups I made on it. 

BTW still eagerly awaiting more progress updates on the your current projects. :)