Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

How much was the Lambo!? $15 hehe!

I was considering buying a Welly 1/18 Lamborghini Miura off ebay which would be kinda out of my normal purchase zone being so cheap.. $35 if I remember correctly.

Yeah $15. :) They call to me while I'm buying groceries.

$35 for the Miura is not bad.

Yeah $15. :) They call to me while I'm buying groceries.

$35 for the Miura is not bad.

$15 is a bloody good price even for a cheap model car! :good:

With my previous model car collection, among other scales sizes I also had a lot of the cheaper brand models even though some were actually quite poor in detail and finish. I don't ever plan on having as many cars as I previously had so im limiting my collecting to higher end stuff instead. But I went to a car museum over the last weekend and saw one of those Welly Lamborghini Miura on display and it looked fairly decent. Hence why im considering it.

• 2 weeks later...

a 5 & 6 for a model car of that price makes them very respectable! my son has a few Welly brand cars including an Audi R8 and a Lamborghini Aventador among them and they are quite nice indeed! But they weren't quite $15 though.. more like $50 to $80 but even that is still a 1/3 or 1/4 the average price of a Autoart..

And speaking of my collection.. I upgraded my display! I bought a new display cabinet from Ikea as I need the cabinet they were in previously for my expanding Valkyrie collection.

Now at least you can see all the cars clearly! and I had some spare LED strip lighting which worked out perfectly too! really pleased with the end result! Here are some pics!

20161228_160357.jpg

20161228_160412.jpg

^ That's a bummer.  However, if you have the broken antenna piece, all is not lost.  Drill both ends with a pin-vise (1/8", ~3mm, deep should suffice), making use they align as closely as possible, to receive a metal rod (I like using a seamstress' pin cut to length for such things... the drill bit should be >= the diameter of the pin to be used).  Press fit the pin into the antenna's hole and then the resulting piece into the antenna's base on the head, properly oriented, until it's almost bottomed out (leave a 1/32", ~1mm, gap).  Apply a small drop of ABS plastic weld into the gap: Tenax 7R, Plastruct, Tamiya cement for ABS, Ambroid Pro Weld, Even Testor's Plastic Cement (DO NOT use Superglue).  Finish pressing the two pieces together until a small amount of molten plastic oozes out; let cure 24 hours; clean the seam with a X-acto knife and a sanding stick.  You'll likely need to buff the join to have it match the surface finish of the rest of the plastic, and touch up any painted areas.

Another option is to swap the head for the CF version.  Or, if possible, swap the antennas.

11 hours ago, linitrofe said:

Grace Valk :)

Broken Antenna :(

IMG_20161227_164910 (1).jpg

ouchies! that sucks.. sorry to see that. Have you still got the broken off part? would a tiny drop of super glue work by any chance? 

Of course mechaninac's repair suggestion is still an option. As he also mentioned you could just swap out the head unit for the CF type.

Have you contacted the place of purchase? Curious, where did you buy it from? Hope you can get it sorted out.

7 hours ago, derex3592 said:

That car case looks fantastic Spanner! 

thanks derex! :)

11 hours ago, mechaninac said:

^ That's a bummer.  However, if you have the broken antenna piece, all is not lost.  Drill both ends with a pin-vise (1/8", ~3mm, deep should suffice), making use they align as closely as possible, to receive a metal rod (I like using a seamstress' pin cut to length for such things... the drill bit should be >= the diameter of the pin to be used).  Press fit the pin into the antenna's hole and then the resulting piece into the antenna's base on the head, properly oriented, until it's almost bottomed out (leave a 1/32", ~1mm, gap).  Apply a small drop of ABS plastic weld into the gap: Tenax 7R, Plastruct, Tamiya cement for ABS, Ambroid Pro Weld, Even Testor's Plastic Cement (DO NOT use Superglue).  Finish pressing the two pieces together until a small amount of molten plastic oozes out; let cure 24 hours; clean the seam with a X-acto knife and a sanding stick.  You'll likely need to buff the join to have it match the surface finish of the rest of the plastic, and touch up any painted areas.

Another option is to swap the head for the CF version.  Or, if possible, swap the antennas.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip. I think I'll give it a try

2 hours ago, spanner said:

ouchies! that sucks.. sorry to see that. Have you still got the broken off part? would a tiny drop of super glue work by any chance? 

Of course mechaninac's repair suggestion is still an option. As he also mentioned you could just swap out the head unit for the CF type.

Have you contacted the place of purchase? Curious, where did you buy it from? Hope you can get it sorted out.

thanks derex! :)

It is from NY, there is a ticket still open. They are talking with Bandai if there is something they can do for me (long shot but still hoping the best).

It looks like pure bad luck. The packaging is in pristine condition so I think it came this way from factory or warehouse :(

Hey Spanner, you have to use a plastic weld and not superglue. I found that out when someone broke one of luca's ghosts. The litte pylon the comes out the nose snapped after taking a dive. I tried superglue and it all seemed fine until it just fell off again. I night have to sand off the superglue now and start over.

1 hour ago, linitrofe said:

It is from NY, there is a ticket still open. They are talking with Bandai if there is something they can do for me (long shot but still hoping the best).

It looks like pure bad luck. The packaging is in pristine condition so I think it came this way from factory or warehouse :(

yeah could have been damaged when packed in the factory. Slack workers! I hope they can do something for you or at least give you a credit.. 

1 hour ago, Loop said:

Hey Spanner, you have to use a plastic weld and not superglue. I found that out when someone broke one of luca's ghosts. The litte pylon the comes out the nose snapped after taking a dive. I tried superglue and it all seemed fine until it just fell off again. I night have to sand off the superglue now and start over.

I have yes but on bigger stuff like the fairings / bodywork on motorcycle and not ever something intricate as a small Valkyrie parts. But that's not to say it wouldn't work.

Super glue on the other hand I have a couple of times and with good results. Though it will depend on the brand of super glue as some plastics might have a resistance or chemical additive that reduces the effectiveness of the glue reaction. I only use Wurth brand super glue that I get from work and its never let me down. Im sure someone else in here has used other stuff effectively but I wouldn't know what sorry.