Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

8 hours ago, aaajin said:

This came today. F-14B Jolly Rogers by Calibre Wings. The amount of details on this (and other rival companies) is astounding. I wish Arcadia could do the same amount of tampo prints on their VF-1. Here's some sneak peeks :

IMG_20180220_203539.jpg.0d38fdc95172fdef9df7e5fbde159b71.jpgIMG_20180220_232011.jpg.617f4cf112f5162b8f6be494add263fe.jpgIMG_20180220_231806.jpg.8c4dd046e7cd7d349a8994b85c3fa7b0.jpg

Sweet!

7 hours ago, CrossAir said:

Wow, still my favourite Squadron marking and one of my favourite Aircrafts. Don't remember how many Jolly Roger F14s I have built. But this ones details are really awesome. Want it too :angry:

Same here! All time favorite since I was a little kid and had many models I built on display at local libraries. I haven't dove into the modern, high end diecast models yet but if I did, this would be the first one I grab. Scary thing is, I would fall deep into a hole of others...

On 2/20/2018 at 3:06 PM, no3Ljm said:

Are you guys going to get Mazinger Infinity too if it gets made?

Probably, I am good at making bad decisions with expensive toys. 

13 hours ago, borgified said:

I actually find that Thunder Magnus is more aesthically closer to the G1 version of the C-310 release. The new TT Legends God Ginrai release doesn't even make the cut. 

Note to add: Is there anyone pre-ordering the SOC Dragon Caesar? 

I have SOC Dragon Caesar on pre-order. The Dragon Zord is my number one favorite from Power Rangers and I have the SOC Megazord.

15 hours ago, aaajin said:

This came today. F-14B Jolly Rogers by Calibre Wings. The amount of details on this (and other rival companies) is astounding. I wish Arcadia could do the same amount of tampo prints on their VF-1. Here's some sneak peeks :

IMG_20180220_203539.jpg.0d38fdc95172fdef9df7e5fbde159b71.jpg

These F-14s are die-cast crack. :lol: I've picked up this one, and their VF-1 Wolfpack version, and I'm planning on at least two or three more.  I'm really hoping they get around to a classic VF-84 scheme, because while the old Century Wings version I have is pretty nice, the Calibre ones are definitely a step up in quality all around.

8 hours ago, anubis20 said:

Got my Maketoys Thunder Manus as well ^_^

New Haul 02/20/2018 Maketoys Thunder Manus

20 hours ago, Saburo said:

Thanks! I don’t collect very many TFs but here is one more TF that arrived. Maketoys Thunder Manus x Divine Armor (R)

B557FEFA-C605-469F-8D84-FC447ABAF846.thumb.jpeg.87ceea905589b0b686a27cb5c13554d4.jpeg

I've been out of the 3P TF game for a long time.......but these pics pulled me right back in. Thanks for poking a hole in my wallet guys!

19 hours ago, locidm said:

I've been out of the 3P TF game for a long time.......but these pics pulled me right back in. Thanks for poking a hole in my wallet guys!

You wont regret it. Its a fun figure

I got Takara MPM-3 today from Amazon. Anyone interested in buying the Hasbro version :lol:

New Haul 02/22/2018

^Tempting

I have both versions (Hasbro is on display at home, Takara is MISB), but could use another something to put on my desk at work. If I can find some money in the budget I'll shoot you a PM (provided another member doesn't snap it up first).

-b.

4 hours ago, anubis20 said:

You wont regret it. Its a fun figure

I got Takara MPM-3 today from Amazon. Anyone interested in buying the Hasbro version :lol:

I have one on preorder at HLJ. Not even sure why I preorder one though. Hahaha! :lol:

Edit: It looks like HLJ just charged me for that Bumblebee. 10 days to think this through. :rolleyes:

Edited by no3Ljm

On 2/21/2018 at 12:47 AM, aaajin said:

IMG_20180220_203539.jpg.0d38fdc95172fdef9df7e5fbde159b71.jpgIMG_20180220_232011.jpg.617f4cf112f5162b8f6be494add263fe.jpgIMG_20180220_231806.jpg.8c4dd046e7cd7d349a8994b85c3fa7b0.jpg

You know, I just got an e-mail about a pre-order for one of these and was wondering if any of you guys knew about them or had recommendations?  From the sounds of things it’s just a matter of picking what I want.

5 hours ago, Mommar said:

You know, I just got an e-mail about a pre-order for one of these and was wondering if any of you guys knew about them or had recommendations?  From the sounds of things it’s just a matter of picking what I want.

As Im new too on these things, I may not be able to recommend stuff, but I did light readings before jumping into the Calibre bandwagon. There are a few quirks at the beginning of the release, mainly (1) jagged edges near the glove vanes and (2) incorrect gun blister panel, as stated here :

http://modelhangar3.com/thread/2334?page=3

Calibre did ackowledge those issue and seems like theyve fixed them. On my copy, everything seems good at first glance, maybe I need to pay closer attention to the details this coming weekend & report back. Anyways, here are some other links with reviews that might help with your decision :

Forces of Valor VS Century Wings F-14B : 
http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33902

Review of F-14B Calibre Wings : 
http://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/military-model-aircraft/261154-calibre-wings-f-14b-tomcat-vf-103-jolly-rogers-ca721401.html#/topics/261154?page=1

Overal I'm impressed with the model, but my opinion dont carry much weight given that I'm new on these & made my judgement based on online reviews.

Edited by aaajin

3 minutes ago, aaajin said:

As Im new too on these things, I may not be able to recommend stuff, but I did light readings before jumping into the Calibre bandwagon. There are a few quirks at the beginning of the release, mainly (1) jagged edges near the glove vanes and (2) incorrect gun blister panel, as stated here :

http://modelhangar3.com/thread/2334?page=3

Calibre did ackowledge those issue and seems like theyve fixed them. On my copy, everything seems good at first glance, maybe I need to pay closer attention to the details this coming weekend & report back. Anyways, here are some other links with reviews that might help with your decision :

Forces of Valor VS Century Wings F-14B : http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33902

Review of F-14B Calibre Wings : http://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/military-model-aircraft/261154-calibre-wings-f-14b-tomcat-vf-103-jolly-rogers-ca721401.html#/topics/261154?page=1

Overal I'm impressed with the model, but my opinion dont carry much weight as Im still new on these.

I will throw in that while I'm not a huge stickler for panel line and rivet counting accuracy, I can say that the quality of the Calibre Tomcats feels higher than the Century Wings release I have.  I've heard that those have degraded in quality over time, either from slacking off in the assembly lines, or degradation of molds.

As far as features go, the Century Wings Jolly Roger 202 I got needed some work.  The rubbery probes on the sides of the nose were terribly messy how they were glued, and I had to gently break them off and glue them back correctly, while touching up the paint.  Also, the nozzles on the Century ones are recommended to be glued on, because they do not snap on and off like the Calibre ones, and some of the hardpoints are similarly loose, while the wing glove pylons are permanently mounted, instead of being optional. (Side note: the Century Wings afterburner cans are terrible.  Like WWII era turbojet engine looking terrible.)

The only other 1/72 die cast I have is a Hobby Master F-106 CA ANG, and that's a beautiful representation, but quite a bit less detailed than more recent releases.

Well thanks a lot, jerks! I Googled "Calibre Wings F-14" and saw a bunch of the Macross VF-1 paint schemes available for preorder and ordered them all. :lol:

I know it's under the dreaded "R" label and I'm loath to purchase anything from them, but they are still Hikaru, Roy, Max, and Miria's colors...

8 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Well thanks a lot, jerks! I Googled "Calibre Wings F-14" and saw a bunch of the Macross VF-1 paint schemes available for preorder and ordered them all. :lol:

I know it's under the dreaded "R" label and I'm loath to purchase anything from them, but they are still Hikaru, Roy, Max, and Miria's colors...

I only saw Roy and Hikaru, where did you order from?

3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I will throw in that while I'm not a huge stickler for panel line and rivet counting accuracy, I can say that the quality of the Calibre Tomcats feels higher than the Century Wings release I have.  I've heard that those have degraded in quality over time, either from slacking off in the assembly lines, or degradation of molds.

As far as features go, the Century Wings Jolly Roger 202 I got needed some work.  The rubbery probes on the sides of the nose were terribly messy how they were glued, and I had to gently break them off and glue them back correctly, while touching up the paint.  Also, the nozzles on the Century ones are recommended to be glued on, because they do not snap on and off like the Calibre ones, and some of the hardpoints are similarly loose, while the wing glove pylons are permanently mounted, instead of being optional. (Side note: the Century Wings afterburner cans are terrible.  Like WWII era turbojet engine looking terrible.)

The only other 1/72 die cast I have is a Hobby Master F-106 CA ANG, and that's a beautiful representation, but quite a bit less detailed than more recent releases.

I felt the overall parts fitting could be improved. My front landing gear is extremely tight. I had to use brute force to push it in and heard a snap. Thing is, the gear struts are made of plastic. How in the hell am I supposed to take it off in the future? Others (missiles, rear landing gears, etc) fits pretty OK, though the paint thickness makes mounting the missiles pylon a little harder.

2 hours ago, Lolicon said:

The Miria 1J I bought during the recent sales arrived this week. Do... do I really need more than one of these? :wacko:

5a9063fe22a29_VF-1JMiria01.thumb.jpg.340df1e8cd2d1594f41a8295a2744e0e.jpg

Picked mine up from the post office on Monday, and the answer is yes. Need at least 1 more (than Milia and Roy) so I can have all 3 modes displayed.

4 hours ago, Lolicon said:

The Miria 1J I bought during the recent sales arrived this week. Do... do I really need more than one of these?

"Ray, when someone asks you if you're a God you say YES!"  I feel like that applies to this question as well. 

9 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

@aaajin   I just picked up the VF-103 tomcat as well..  question have you removed the model from the tray yet?   And if so does your front landing gear door just fall off as well?     I'm not sure how I am supposed to keep it in place.

The front landing gear covers are a little loose, they seem to be a tiny fraction too small to catch well on the inside of the well.  What I did was put a small strip of scotch tape around the front of the box, and the thickness of the tape was enough to make them stay in nicely.

This is incredible....

IMG_0308.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG

The gap you see on the bottom is just the landing gear up replacement tab that is not all the way clicked in.  The missiles, pilots, Tampo, cockpit, this thing is solid.

even has clear and painted parts for the flir and TV pod on the nose

Edited by Ridden001

10 hours ago, Ridden001 said:

This is incredible....

IMG_0308.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG

The gap you see on the bottom is just the landing gear up replacement tab that is not all the way clicked in.  The missiles, pilots, Tampo, cockpit, this thing is solid.

even has clear and painted parts for the flir and TV pod on the nose

OMG that looks so beautiful! Is it just a trick of the light or is it panel washed too? 

Finished up the windows and finally finished painting the horrible smokey black colored stand with Tamiya TS Gold and light gun metal spray cans.  Came out pretty good I guess for a desk toy. The stand plastic was horrible for paint, even after primer. oh well..  Off to work it goes tomorrow morning. 

20180225_144209.jpg

20180225_144224.jpg

20180225_144237.jpg