Compositing CG + Cosplay

SpookyElectric

At Japan Expo in Santa Clara, I took an experimental photo with Lina Lau, which yielded this:

Macross%20Frontier%20-%20Sheryl%2007322.
CG composite of a Macross VF-25 with Sheryl Nome. (click the picture for a larger version)
If anyone is curious, there's some detail on how I did it on my LJ. TL;DR: I used Blender's compositor & Cycles renderer with a lightprobe I created in Hugin from a series or mirrorball images. (the red parts glowing is me trying to make it more obvious in a dark scene) VF-25 model is from a library of free Sketchup models.
I think it came out kinda cool, but also not quite as epic as I hoped. So I think I'll try it again. Probably next time with one of Sirian's Sheryls. (probably not the one linked there)
I was wondering: Does anyone here have any higher detail (and perhaps more Blender-friendly) 3D models of any of the variable fighters from Macross Frontier that you might be willing to volunteer for use in cosplay photos? My modeling skills are not horrible, but available time to make my own is in short supply.
Edited by SpookyElectric

Looking good but you might need to redo the materials. They're too reflective and clean. Another thing is the scale. The valk looks too small and it's a VF-25, not a VF-1 which would still be a little bigger. Last thing, the strong lighting from the right side doesn't seem to be strong enough on the valk which might be related to the materials.

I can't speak to the 3D critique, but I did notice that the shadow on the Valk leg is not in the same direction as Sheryl's leg. Shadows don't often fall in different directions unless there is another strong light source to make that happen. There isn't in this shot.

Looking very good though, I really look forward to the reworked image to see what you come up with... B))

Sorry it isn't as epic as you wanted.

But it's a great start.

Thoughts:

The size of the VF-25 has already been mentioned, but it's made worse by the "placement" of the light.

No worries, by "worse" i just mean confusing.

The image clearly shows these bright lights placed precisely in a row that terminates nearly at the horizon, and whether the viewer is conscious of it or not, the mental assumption is that this row of lights extends on over our heads, and continues behind us.

And we KNOW this assumption is true because Sheryl is fully lit by one of these lights directly overhead. (outside of the shot)

The size problem gets more apparent because: Should the VF-25 be taller than the overhead unseen light or shorter?

If it's shorter, it should be getting a massive amount of light on top.

If it's taller, it should be getting a massive amount of light on the bottom. (Of course, if it was taller than the light, it'd be out of frame!)

i say "massive amount" because no matter if the VF-25 is above or below that light, it's gonna be much closer to it than Sheryl is, therefore it'd be much more brightly lit.

In this image the VF-25 is not brightly lit on top or bottom, so your brain kinda goes... "Meh, this doesn't make any sense." and you're left feeling unsatisfied.

A cheat might've been having the light coming from the VF-25. (Like flipping it so it faces to the left standing directly over Sheryl) But that's just me throwing things out there.

In general, ignoring everything else i've been rambling about... just know that there's way more light in this photo than you think there is.

We can see Sheryl just fine. There's a reason for that!

Aside from some reflections, the VF-25 is barely lit at all, which is why it doesn't seem to fit in the scene. Dark mech in brightly lit scene... wut?

At the very least, the diffuse light bouncing off of Sheryl would be illuminating the underside of the VF-25's nose.

Especially with that hair.

That crazy pink hair.

This is not terrible at all.

But i agree it doesn't feel epic. Just trying to help get it there.