Bubblegum Crisis BD kickstarter

Keith

Guest davidwhangchoi

Yeah I got the tip right from Robert at Animeigo.

If they meet a certain goal we also get AD Police OVA HD Remaster. Heck yeah!!!

i saw you post asking for stuff on pdf files mac pads and package preferences ... thanks! he said it depends on the supporters. i guess you're going to be one of the big backers on this one...

thanks for the link

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I think it was quite possibly the first subtitled anime I ever saw, back in the day when mentioning "dub" was almost like slapping someone in the face (they've got better, generally - and there were still the odd decent one around back then, too). In the UK, you had to order them - one episode on one VHS tape at a time, don't ever let me hear you kids whining that you only got two episodes on your Dee-Vee-Dee, y'hear?! :) - from AnimEigos UK sister arm, Anime Projects, based in Bangor.

You can imagine that when I saw where they were racing to in "Scramble Wars", it slightly blew my mind a little bit... :)

I don't know guys. This feels like bs to me. I've wanted to get the Japanese Blu-ray for a while as it's been out for years. I've wondered why a US release hasn't come out yet. Now they are floating this Kickstarter idea for BGC instead of a straight release because of the risks. Animeigo doesn't even release anime anymore it seems. Plus, the "basic" goal is full of stuff most probably don't want - English voices and DVD copies. Plus the levels after that aren't very interesting either or full of stuff that should be in the set naturally. The original DVDs had the music videos, which I don't watch, but they were there. That's at the $110,000 level. Maybe I'm still a bit bitter after paying a high price for that Animeigo Macross set that was dirt cheap a few years later.

There was a kickstarter for Time of Eve earlier this year that was very successful. I'll go out on a limb and say that a Bubblegum Crisis kickstarter should also make its goal. Perhaps this isn't live yet because of licensing negotiations? I wouldn't cry foul because it is still a working draft. Also, I wouldn't pledge for the bonuses. I would pledge for the main product. The bonus goals are just that: bonuses.

The basic pledge is $25, so I'm not sure how that compares to Animeigo's Macross DVD release. But if I had a crystal ball at the time, I might have waited for the Japanese blus.

Guest davidwhangchoi

does the Japanese set have bubble gum crash? i'm whipping out my dvd set right now...

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Well going back to 2001....

Animeigo needed the funds from the preorders to do the full digital restoration on MACROSS. The reason the sets got cheap later is that after the restore Animeigo only had the license for a few years. After the license lapsed they had to get rid of the stock. Pretty standard procedure. After that ADV was able to use that restore for the next Macross set with the dub and the Robotech Remastered set. The winner was the fans on all fronts. If not for us that pre-ordered Macross on that level they may not have been able to do that remaster. I see how you feel jipped but as an early adopter I got my $260 bucks worth by watching the set quite a few times!

Now for BGC Animeigo is the US license holder. The Kickstarter is here to make it even better than the Japanese Blu set and also keep the price in reason. The more people that kick in the better they can allocate for the resources. No reason to get all up in arms when all they want to is make sure the fans that really want a be all edition can get just that. Otherwise it would come out bare bones and be pricey.

I don't know guys. This feels like bs to me. I've wanted to get the Japanese Blu-ray for a while as it's been out for years. I've wondered why a US release hasn't come out yet. Now they are floating this Kickstarter idea for BGC instead of a straight release because of the risks. Animeigo doesn't even release anime anymore it seems. Plus, the "basic" goal is full of stuff most probably don't want - English voices and DVD copies. Plus the levels after that aren't very interesting either or full of stuff that should be in the set naturally. The original DVDs had the music videos, which I don't watch, but they were there. That's at the $110,000 level. Maybe I'm still a bit bitter after paying a high price for that Animeigo Macross set that was dirt cheap a few years later.

There was a kickstarter for Time of Eve earlier this year that was very successful. I'll go out on a limb and say that a Bubblegum Crisis kickstarter should also make its goal. Perhaps this isn't live yet because of licensing negotiations? I wouldn't cry foul because it is still a working draft. Also, I wouldn't pledge for the bonuses. I would pledge for the main product. The bonus goals are just that: bonuses.

The basic pledge is $25, so I'm not sure how that compares to Animeigo's Macross DVD release. But if I had a crystal ball at the time, I might have waited for the Japanese blus.

I guess I just don't like it when companies go to Kickstarter that much. I can't believe Animeigo can't finance something like BGC. And when I look at the tentative bonuses I don't see much. All this should be discussed in house before putting it up. Where are the steelcases, posters, booklets, soundtracks, something that would make this really the "Ultimate Edition" for fans. I was recently looking for old Macross and other anime pencil cases. What about something like that for BGC? The only thing I see now is copies of the set and names showing you funded it. And provided they get enough money they will try to make it a real set by including those music videos, extra language options, and some downloadable images.

I don't remember the first price before it went down on the Macross DVD set. I think it was close to $500? I know I paid somewhere between $250 and $300. Afterwards the transfer used by other companies was like under $50 if not cheaper for the whole of Robotech or the Japanese versions of the shows. It was shockingly cheap.

The BGC Blu-ray is $200+ right now. One of those expensive Japanese deals. So I guess $25 for day one is a good deal. But this will be released in stores one day. And know that I paid I think $18 for both volumes of Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers during Amazon's Christmas sale. Those are DVD only but well done sets with booklets and tons of extras.

I already have the Japanese BD so will give this a pass. The image on those things is so ridiculously clear that you can pick out the cells in some areas of episode 1, lol.

I heard the BGC Blu-ray was good. That's why I don't understand why Animeigo feels the need to do their own version. They could have simply used the Japanese transfer a long time ago.

Well going back to 2001....

Animeigo needed the funds from the preorders to do the full digital restoration on MACROSS. The reason the sets got cheap later is that after the restore Animeigo only had the license for a few years. After the license lapsed they had to get rid of the stock. Pretty standard procedure. After that ADV was able to use that restore for the next Macross set with the dub and the Robotech Remastered set. The winner was the fans on all fronts. If not for us that pre-ordered Macross on that level they may not have been able to do that remaster. I see how you feel jipped but as an early adopter I got my $260 bucks worth by watching the set quite a few times!

Now for BGC Animeigo is the US license holder. The Kickstarter is here to make it even better than the Japanese Blu set and also keep the price in reason. The more people that kick in the better they can allocate for the resources. No reason to get all up in arms when all they want to is make sure the fans that really want a be all edition can get just that. Otherwise it would come out bare bones and be pricey.

I'm just going to watch this for now. See what happens. I still think the price on Macross was way too much. Gatchaman is coming out in a few weeks and Rightstuf has that for $89. That looks like a nice set.

Is it me or are the first few pledge levels basically giving you the same thing?

I hope they will put more stuff in like my ideas up top and this is just a "draft" like it says.

I guess I just don't like it when companies go to Kickstarter that much. I can't believe Animeigo can't finance something like BGC. And when I look at the tentative bonuses I don't see much. All this should be discussed in house before putting it up. Where are the steelcases, posters, booklets, soundtracks, something that would make this really the "Ultimate Edition" for fans. I was recently looking for old Macross and other anime pencil cases. What about something like that for BGC? The only thing I see now is copies of the set and names showing you funded it. And provided they get enough money they will try to make it a real set by including those music videos, extra language options, and some downloadable images.

I don't remember the first price before it went down on the Macross DVD set. I think it was close to $500? I know I paid somewhere between $250 and $300. Afterwards the transfer used by other companies was like under $50 if not cheaper for the whole of Robotech or the Japanese versions of the shows. It was shockingly cheap.

That makes sense. I still have my old Animeigo receipt. I paid $250 for the Macross DVDs plus $10 shipping. Looking back, I think Animeigo had the benefit of being the only game in town because the Robotech VHS tapes were already scarce. Of course, that was $250 twelve years ago. I am not sure how long it took for the price to drop on that box set, but it was unfortunate.

Getting a better value out of the domestic BGC blu-ray release would be nice. I wouldn't mind an art book or a soundtrack if that was even possible. I also noticed that Paradise Dolls was not included as an extra. Not that it is a big loss, but it is another AD Police story set within Megatokyo. I wonder if this set is specific to only those licenses that Animeigo has available to them?

Yes it is only what Animeigo has a license too.

I don't think they are open to pursuing more because since the Anime boom of the late 1990's in the US all the Japanese companies either took over their properties directly or are charging a premium for the license. We had such a great boom in the early 1990's since the Japanese companies were either surprised that western audiences wanted the product or skeptical that it would be wanted here. Well it worked and when they saw they could make money on their own product (IE Bandai/Sunrise) they took em back.

The Macross pre-order was $250 because we were paying for licensing, remastering, translation, and manufacturing. Or to put ot another way, the only reason it was released, was because of direct fan support. AnimEigo continued to release it later at reduced prices because all of the costs wrre covered by our initial support. And for the record, ADV sniped them with a quick and dirty Robotech DVD release a few months to a year before the AnimEigo release came out, but after the project startex.

Edited by Keith

wait.. a BGC thread without hurricane!?

i too bought the Animeigo Macross pre-order at the $250-odd price range. Still happy I did even though, if I were to do-over, probably wouldn't, since there are so many rereleases and it's not much of a collectors item.

(edit to replace link with the music vid instead of a cam-capture)

Edited by bhchan

TO this day I have never regretted my $250 dollar Macross DVD set. Still one of my favorite sets I own. Animeigo does great work. I chatted with Shin Kurokawa(he was the lead on the re-master) at AX2006 all about that and with Noburo Ishigeru about Macross. Good times.

If this goes live I might be in. I still have the original OVA on VHS. Even a numbered version of episodes 7 and 8. It has a special white chase with an AD-police logo on it. But I don't know if it came close to a magnet or what but the quality went down the drain very quickly. It was my first Anime that I bought though so it has a special place in my heart.

Does anyone know if Animeigo has problems with shipping outside of the states due to licensing issues? Or if it will be region coded?

That makes sense. I still have my old Animeigo receipt. I paid $250 for the Macross DVDs plus $10 shipping. Looking back, I think Animeigo had the benefit of being the only game in town because the Robotech VHS tapes were already scarce. Of course, that was $250 twelve years ago. I am not sure how long it took for the price to drop on that box set, but it was unfortunate.

Getting a better value out of the domestic BGC blu-ray release would be nice. I wouldn't mind an art book or a soundtrack if that was even possible. I also noticed that Paradise Dolls was not included as an extra. Not that it is a big loss, but it is another AD Police story set within Megatokyo. I wonder if this set is specific to only those licenses that Animeigo has available to them?

The Macross set was in the early days of DVD. But I think it was sold as a limited rare chance too. I rarely if ever get complete cartoon series. Because I knew even back then that there was the chance for an HD version. And other reasons. I can't remember why I got Macross when I did. I still don't have or have I even watched all of the original Southern Cross or Mospeada. Something pushed me to get that Macross set. I think that's why I'm still a bit upset about that price and the cheap prices afterwards.

Yes it is only what Animeigo has a license too.

I don't think they are open to pursuing more because since the Anime boom of the late 1990's in the US all the Japanese companies either took over their properties directly or are charging a premium for the license. We had such a great boom in the early 1990's since the Japanese companies were either surprised that western audiences wanted the product or skeptical that it would be wanted here. Well it worked and when they saw they could make money on their own product (IE Bandai/Sunrise) they took em back.

The Macross pre-order was $250 because we were paying for licensing, remastering, translation, and manufacturing. Or to put ot another way, the only reason it was released, was because of direct fan support. AnimEigo continued to release it later at reduced prices because all of the costs wrre covered by our initial support. And for the record, ADV sniped them with a quick and dirty Robotech DVD release a few months to a year before the AnimEigo release came out, but after the project startex.

Now the question is why did Animeigo let the Macross license go? They are holding onto BGC and other licenses. Their last BGC release was in 2004. That was the remastered version. Before that there was a set released in 1999. I vaguely remember that something was off with one of these sets. Perhaps there was a third set I'm forgetting. This does start to feel like the whole Robotech situation with tons of releases and sitting on a license.

I found a bunch of the current Japanese BGC Blu-ray on Amazon in the $130 range. Also, I noticed that the Kickstarter has been updated. This still doesn't feel right. The lower options are now gone and it starts at $50 then $100. No talk about the set details and a vague CrowdProduction term is on there. Meaning I guess polls and the like for what the set will consist of. And that's if they get enough money to fund the basic set. The numbers/percentages are kind of strange. They are offering cels. Which I didn't know Animeigo had. I guess they are from their personal collections.

I wish they would say for example - We have a standard set. Then we have a premium set. The premium set will have the following based on funds: steelcase with interior artwork, soundtrack (selected songs voted by premium funders), full color booket, poster/pencil case/extra.

Right now this is all too vague. I wish they weren't testing this with BGC. Things have the potential of becoming too chaotic with people voting on extras. And there will be the chance of the people in charge always saying we didn't get enough money or something like that for whatever extra items that should be in a premium "Ultimate Edition" set. I still have my Priss figure next to my BGC DVDs in a Paul Champagne case that I found out about when I used to check MacrossWorld before joining up. At the least this "Ultimate Edition" needs to top my setup.

Guest davidwhangchoi

when does this kickstarter go live and what is the day zero incentive? i was looking at the kickstarter site but didn't dig through the link milkman provided thoroughly yet...