Comanchero type helicopter

coronadlux

A few months ago, I was able to buy a Captain America Comanchero model from a member here. I decided to try and build it, then I remembered an old topic here about different versions.

IMAG0082.jpg

I decided to build the different version using the original as inspiration. This is the original (minus all the other small stuff, clay is holding it together)

IMAG1067_zps96a04f41.jpg

After much sanding and putty and clay, I was able to do this one.

IMAG1068_zpse44b8b71.jpg

IMAG1072_zpsf135e81f.jpg

IMAG1071_zps4e8c0ecc.jpg

Here are both side by side for size comparison.

IMAG1073_zpsbdfa2877.jpg

I got a little impatient and wanted to see how far I've come, so I put a green base coat on it. Obviously there is more sanding to be done, molding and fitting too. Any input would be appreciated into what I need to change to make it better.

Very cool looking project! Your progress looks very good so far. You've done a great job of pulling out the correct form from the raw materials. This is nitpicking a bit, and my impression may be just because the angles of the pictures are skewed a little, but it looks like the top engine nacelles may be a little off? The right side seems to sit a bit higher than the left. I would also suggest that you try to deepen the recesses on the lower nacelles/pods (whatever they are) if possible. It is a feature that stands out pretty prominently in the screen grab you posted. Sorry if those are points you are already planning to address, just trying to help if I can.

What ideas do you have for the rotors? Looks like Revell, Italeri and Tamiya all have 1/72 scale kits of the Commanche helicopter. From what I've seen, the Rotor from the Italeri kit is closest to the lineart. Any of those kits would probably have some good parts to donate to your project, rotor, blades, nose cannon, sensor pods, etc.

I definitely look forward to watching as this project continues.

Very cool looking project! Your progress looks very good so far. You've done a great job of pulling out the correct form from the raw materials. This is nitpicking a bit, and my impression may be just because the angles of the pictures are skewed a little, but it looks like the top engine nacelles may be a little off? The right side seems to sit a bit higher than the left. I would also suggest that you try to deepen the recesses on the lower nacelles/pods (whatever they are) if possible. It is a feature that stands out pretty prominently in the screen grab you posted. Sorry if those are points you are already planning to address, just trying to help if I can.

What ideas do you have for the rotors? Looks like Revell, Italeri and Tamiya all have 1/72 scale kits of the Commanche helicopter. From what I've seen, the Rotor from the Italeri kit is closest to the lineart. Any of those kits would probably have some good parts to donate to your project, rotor, blades, nose cannon, sensor pods, etc.

I definitely look forward to watching as this project continues.

You are definitely correct about the engine rotors. These are not glued on permanently, I wanted to see what my progress was. After a few on and off weeks, I got impatient.

The rotors will come from kit bashing a Mi-24 Russian Hind, except that the tips will be inspired by the eurocopter MRH90. The cockpit canopy will come from the Hind as well.

The lower pods will be reworked. I am not satisfied with them. The rear tail rotor is something I am considering redoing. It seems to be too small. But from the screen grab, it looks just about the right size.

I'm guessing this is a 1/72 kit? Either way I'm pretty excited to see it being executed. I wish I could get my hands on one but that may be another thread...

I'll be watching to see how it goes, I can't add much more than has already been mentioned. :)

Yup, 1/72 scale. I have no room for anything bigger. So everything I have built so far is 1/72nd.

So, I was researching the hind helicopter and I like that some 1/48 scale models showcase the engines and all. So I will try to have that option once I get it sanded down and maybe have my friend do a fuselage test cast. I also wanted to replace the original hind style seat to something more thinner to add more cockpit controls. Being a 1 seat attack helicopter, front instrument panel will no tbe enough to fit every system in there. Anyways, Ideas are always welcomed.

Update pics to follow.

The engine. almost ready for a detailed paint job:

IMAG1135_BURST001_zps34f70f13.jpg

The seat, from Velinden, circa early 1990's and thanks to parts box.

IMAG1133_zpsb48a3d89.jpg

Another shot of the engines and seat:

IMAG1132_zpscfbed32b.jpg

Edited by coronadlux

This is looking really cool! I think you'll have a winner! Nice attention to details with the engine compartment. I think models always look better with some "guts" in them! - MT

Thanks. I am probably going to build it with landing gears and showing some guts. I picked up some brass rods for the gatling gun that would look better.

The cockpit is a different story. With the new seat, there is a lot of space on the sides. I will need to fill in the empty space with controls and switches or something.

After considerable thought, I decided to redo the tail. Somehow the small rotor didn't seem right. So I made a bigger one, and shortened the tail by a 1/4 inch. It made a big difference.

Before

IMAG1147_zpsf291a40b.jpg

After

IMAG1154_zps2010a58c.jpg

The 1/72nd scale pilot in the cockpit. Coming together slowly but surely.

IMAG1153_zps1d941071.jpg

IMAG1150_zps6351e03a.jpg

I wish there some line drawings to go off of. It's difficult trying to decide what fits, and what doesn't look just right from one angle. Landing gear is a major concern for me. The front is "obvious" but the rear one is up in the air. No wheels are visible on the tail section.

The only "real" helicopters I can go by that are similar are the Russian Hind and the prototype stealth comanche one. The hind has the front wheel close to the gun turret. In my case, that wont work. On the Comanche, the wheel is hidden inside a panel on the tail, again, in my case, I would need a super long strut to clear the bottom fin of the tail. Any ideas in this area will help me out a lot.

Maybe a single, fixed tail wheel on the lower rudder would be called for here. I see that your reference does not show that as a true fact, but you have more artistic licence here. As for retractable main carriage, I don't see any hint of that or the requisite panel lines drawn into the artwork you provided... unless those cut outs on the lower pods are where they go.

After scrolling through the pics quickly many times, it looks to me like the winglets are either too long, or too skinny?

I'm still really excited to see were this is going. :)

I was going to say, you should try and do a tripod landing gear like a HH-65, but in order for that to work, you'd need to move the left and right weapons pylons back a bit.

Alternatively, you could do a wheel on the tail, like modelglue suggests. The AH-64 has one like that.

Edited by CoreyD

Weird that this should come up. I'm currently working on new colored art of the Comanchero for the next update of my website. I didn't realize the helicopters in the prologue sequence were different "Comanchero-like" designs until I read this topic. Must have missed the other discussion you mentioned. Though I'm not really surprised, it's kinda a blink-and-miss-it sort of thing. I'm eager to see what you come up with.

Since there's no landing gear in the photo, you have artistic license. But the tail wheel sounds good, just build it up big enough to house one. That's how it goes with "anime magic!" - MT

I based the wings from the chopper coming up behind the front one.

With the rear wheel, I'm leaning towards the retractable one inside the tail fin. Make it so that it moves up completely inside the fin for flight for better "aerodynamics"

The AH-56 has the wheel go up, but it doesn't cover it. I might be able to get away with a small wheel and strut inside a retractable door. It is turning out to be a fun build. I need to at least finish it in flight. I am going to build a small vacuum former and try to make a clear canopy tomorrow.

So, coming home from a job interview, I was thinking of spending some time to scribe some panel lines and rivets. Then, this greets me!

IMAG1207_zpsc63d460d.jpg

Seems that while I was gone, "someone" decided to blow up a "toy" by using the microwave. Oh brother. Who ever knew clay would expand so much even after it has been baked. All I can do is sigh, and see what I can do. This might actually be good since I was wondering how I was gonna have a friend mold and cast it. He wouldn't be able to do it as a whole.

Here are a few more:

IMAG1205_zps8f460658.jpg

IMAG1206_zpsb240491b.jpg

By the way guys, a strong word of caution, NEVER EVER EVER microwave resin, or modeling clay. My wife told me that the microwave started emitting strange smoke, and when she opened the door, it all came out in some toxic (presumably) cloud. She immediately took the stuff outside, opened windows, turned on fans and took our nephews outside.

Whatever it was, she has a headache and was nauseous for an hour or so.

First off, that sucks!!! Looks like the Zentraedi got another comrade. :unsure:

Epoxies are NASTY!!! When they cure, they're stable and relatively safe (except for the dust which can cause alergic reactions). Heated up releases all the "wet" nastiness and then some all over again!

Tell your nephews they'll be the first targets you practice on when it's done! :p - MT

Epoxies are NASTY!!! When they cure, they're stable and relatively safe (except for the dust which can cause alergic reactions). Heated up releases all the "wet" nastiness and then some all over again!

Oh. Good to know now I guess. I heated up a large resin piece in the microwave to bend it to shape a while back... but I don't remember much else. :)

In all seriousness though, I hope you are all okay and there is no long term damage beyond what you unfortunately reported here. Just keep at 'er and we're all looking forward to you saving this and showing us a masterpiece!

So after assessing the extent of the damage, I'm stuck with a very sad front end. I will spare you all the sad photos of it.I removed all the clay, broke it some more in the process. Yes, lots of cussing and swearing because I was almost there, I could see the end of the sculpting tunnel. The fun part would begin, assembling and painting. But, that's life.

Good news, I went ahead and decided to build the cockpit interior separate from the chopper. That way, I would be able to paint it outside and insert it into the model afterwards. I also made the trail rotor blades and hub. I also started sculpting the front again. This time using 2 part epoxy which should withstand another unfortunate enemy attack.

Kids are fine, wife is good too. Kids learned a good science lesson. Radiation + resin= fumes. Fumes + human does NOT equal super hero that can fly. Hahaha.

More pics tomorrow after I work on it some more to fool myself into thinking it's ok.

As promised, more pics. Here is the cockpit:

IMAG1221_zps0e2b8547.jpg

IMAG1220_zps7d5015c7.jpg

IMAG1222_zps016ccbc9.jpg

Here's what I have to work with with the front part. I have already started the epoxy work.

IMAG1224_zps38926762.jpg

This is what ideally, I would like to end up with (forgive my amateur photoshop). Thin out the side profile a bit (red lines) Build up the walls with room for the cockpit to slide in. and of course, redo the canopy, unless my old one will work.

IMAG1224-1_zpsa17e2126.jpg