Offutt Air Show 2003

This year's air show and open house marks my 17th anniversary of attending this show... way back in 1986 when I was 12, the Blue Angels performed using the A-4 Skyhawk (this was one of the last times before switching to the Hornet) and there was even an F-106 Delta Dart from an Air National Guard unit on display!

Since this was the first time I had a digital camera with me, I ended up taking over 200 pictures and a few minutes worth of AVI movies. :)

Below are some of the pictures I took (starting with Saturday). I've even attached a few of the movies I recorded (I do have a few in the 2 to 3 Meg range, but they are obviously to big to download here :) ).

First of all, here's an F/A-18D. The E and F model Super Hornets have been in sevice for a number of years now, but have yet to appear here at Offutt. :(

post-26-1061858961_thumb.jpg

Edited by Apollo Leader

Here's an F-15 Strike Eagle. As is the norm, this E is equipped with conformal fuel tanks (aka FAST Packs) and the LANTIRN pod set. The other pods under the fuselage are used by the crew members to carry luggage.

post-26-1061859898_thumb.jpg

This A-10 had the "Spirit of 9-11 'Let's Roll'" artwork under its cockpit. Other aircraft at the show, mainly Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom veterans I believe, had variations of it (more detailed eagles).

post-26-1061860295_thumb.jpg

Edited by Apollo Leader

An F-16B from Edwards AFB. This Fighting Falcon is an odditty because by the late 80's/early 90's, virtually all Falcons for the USAF were C and D models. Originally this B model was built for Pakistan. For some reason, this and 20 or so other Falcon's were withheld from the Pakistani government and went into storage during 1992(3?) at Davis Monthan. Nearly 10 years later, this B (and maybe some of the others were taken out of storage and put to work at Edwards.

post-26-1061860767_thumb.jpg

F-117A Nighthawk (aka The Black Jet).

This is one of THE VERY two F-117's that were used in that preemptive attack in the early morning hours of March 19th to put Saddam Hussein, his two sons, and some of his generals out of commission.

post-26-1061861582_thumb.jpg

A closer look at the mission markings this Nighthawk accumilated during Iraqi Freedom. One of the crew chiefs suggested that they could possibly paint the mission marking for the attack against Saddam in red. B)

post-26-1061861762_thumb.jpg

E-4B on appoach. The E-4B would be used by the President in the event of an all out war. I believe the E-4's are also used as a back up to the 747's used as Air Force One. When President Bush was over in Europe earlier this year, one of Offutt's E-4B's were over there in support of the trip.

post-26-1061863495_thumb.jpg

Edited by Apollo Leader

A CAF Zero returns from its performance. This Zero replica started life as a Canadaian prop driven fighter built in the late 40's/early 50's. This Zero replica carries markings of one of the Japanese pilots involved in the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Something like only 2 real Zeroes are flyable in the entire world.

post-26-1061864429_thumb.jpg