Finally got to see Creed, and I must say that it is the single best Rocky film since the first. The trailers don't tell you exactly how deep this film goes in depicting the life of Adonis "Don" Creed. Ryan Coogler delivers with outstanding direction - especially with one fight in the second act that uses only one camera and one take. Michael B. Jordan's performance as Don is his way of apologizing for Fant4stic, and we will definitely forgive him for that. Many critics have already hailed Sylvester Stallone's performance to the point where they claim he'll take home the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor, and I don't doubt that one bit. British boxer Tony Bellew also delivers as World Light Heavyweight Champion "Pretty" Ricky Conlan, the film's antagonist. And this film gives you an idea of how rabid the UK boxing crowd is in their home turf.

In terms of character development, Creed really hits home. Rocky Balboa, who has been nearly everyone's childhood hero, is now older and wiser, but after the passing of Paulie, you can't help but tear up, as his time is almost up. Don, the new underdog and hero, is a stark contrast to what Rocky was 40 years ago. Whereas Rocky was a complete nobody with nothing to lose in the first film, Don has the heavy burden of being the illegitimate son of Apollo Creed. Despite being taken in by Apollo's widow Mary Anne (played by Phylicia Rashad) during his childhood, Don is not comfortable with other people calling him "Baby Creed", and Rocky is there to always remind him to fight only for himself.

Like Rocky Balboa, Creed has numerous Easter Eggs that reference the previous Rocky films; at the same time, it assures us that Rocky V never happened. The whole setting of Philadelphia is all familiar to long-time fans, from Mighty Mick's gym to the Rocky Steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Other callbacks include Rocky's pet turtle and the "chase the chicken" training.

Ludwig Göransson (Fruitvale Station, 30 Minutes or Less) delivers an outstanding score that doesn't overburden us with the hip-hop sound of other sports films; it also makes numerous nods to Bill Conti's works in the previous Rocky films.

Overall, Creed is worth every penny of the full admission ticket this year, and a worthy addition to anyone's Blu-ray collection.

• 2 weeks later...

Creed had me do a Rocky marathon over the weekend. I noticed some inconsistencies within the first five films - specifically the chronological dates. Allow me to explain:

Rocky (1976)

The film takes place from November 1975 to January 1, 1976.

Rocky II (1979)

Story-wise, the film takes place from 1976 to 1977. So far, the only inconsistency here is that Rocky drives a 1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am.

Rocky III (1982)

Based on Mickey's gravestone, the film takes place from 1981 to 1982. Rocky Jr. is around six years old. However, the boxing announcers mention that Rocky has held the championship belt for three years (meaning he supposedly won it in 1978 instead of Rocky II's timeline of 1977).

Rocky IV (1985)

No timeline has been mentioned, but we'll presume this film takes place in 1985. Rocky Jr. is around nine years old.

Rocky V (1990)

Since this takes place directly after Rocky IV, the timeline should be in 1986. So unless Rocky & Co. stayed in Russia for four years, why is Rocky Jr. suddenly 13 years old when they return to America?

In addition, death seems to be a common theme in majority of the series:

• Rocky III - Mickey dies.
  • Rocky IV - Apollo dies.
  • Rocky V - The franchise dies. (Also, Rocky himself was supposed to die, according to the original ending.)
  • Rocky Balboa - Adrian is dead.
  • Creed - Paulie is dead.

So does this mean Rocky dies in the next Creed film?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just saw Creed. I never got around to seeing it in the theatres and that was a mistake. While the film wasn't as compelling as Rocky Balboa, and I didn't care much for the love side-plot, the meat of the story in the father-son relationship between Adonis and Rocky was as good as any in any other movie.

Michael B Jordan and Sly have some amazing chemistry and I believed in every single one of their interactions. It's one thing to say the lines in the script, it's another to act them, and it something else entirely to project the meaning and spirit of the script onto the film. These two actors took the script to a whole 'nother level.

I can't rave enough about the soundtrack, too. It was an amazing callback to the style of the music in the previous films without feeling dated, it avoided most of the modern music and heavy bass and modern orchestral styles. And one amazing easter egg in the last round of the final fight had me pumping my fist and cheering at my screen.

Sly got robbed at the Oscars. He really did.

Sly got robbed at the Oscars. He really did.

Yes he did, AGAIN. It's really noticing when he won in other ceremonies for that category and then aced out like he usually is by someone else. His brother flipped out on Twitter then had to apologize. I kind of flipped out as I thought he deserved it and the look on his face was sheer disappointment.

Finally got around to watching Creed last night and I must say. Damn. Good. Movie. Probably one of the best movies I've seen in a while. I definitely agree Sly got robbed. I don't know who won out over for what role, but that was a great performance by him. Michael Jordan was also very good. If that's the last time we see The Italian Stallion on the big screen, which it may well be, I feel like it was a good .. no great ending to the Rocky saga. Two thumbs up!

Finally got around to watching Creed last night and I must say. Damn. Good. Movie. Probably one of the best movies I've seen in a while. I definitely agree Sly got robbed. I don't know who won out over for what role, but that was a great performance by him. Michael Jordan was also very good. If that's the last time we see The Italian Stallion on the big screen, which it may well be, I feel like it was a good .. no great ending to the Rocky saga. Two thumbs up!

Mark Rylance won for his role in Bridge of Spies. It's a subtle, yet excellent performance, but it doesn't generate emotions like Stallone's does. I think they just didn't want to give it to him. But the Oscars are a sham, so I wouldn't get too upset about it.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Seems like a combination of Rocky's 3-5.  The (Fr)enemy is still "street hungry" like Clubber Lang and carries that same persona, though with Adonis working with him, we get a little bit of Tommy Gun from 5.  Looks like we'll get both a street fight and ring side as well.  Seems like we also see a, "should have thrown the towel" as we did in 4.  Has potential but the lack of Rocky, even in pictures around their house is concerning; the title may be Creed but we all know and follow this mainly because it's still a Rocky film, or should be at least.