The Rocky saga continues with the upcoming spin-off Creed. Written and directed by Ryan Coogler (Fruitvale Station), Creed focuses on the son of the late boxing champion Apollo Creed. Michael B. Jordan (Johnny Storm/Human Torch in Fantastic Four, Oscar in Fruitvale Station) stars as Adonis Creed, while Rocky Balboa himself, Sylvester Stallone, will return to mentor the new guy.

Creed hits theaters on November 25, 2015.

Creed, Rocky Spin-off Movie Focusing on Grandson of Apollo Creed, in the Works

Sylvester Stallone to Return as Rocky Balboa in Spin-off Movie Creed

Edited by areaseven

On a related note, former WBO Heavyweight Champion Tommy Morrison has died at the age of 44. He played the villain Tommy Gunn in Rocky V. In 1993, Morrison beat George Foreman for the WBO Heavyweight Championship before losing it to Michael Bentt four months later. Then in 1996, he was banned from boxing after testing positive for HIV. Despite proving his HIV tests to be false positives, Morrison remained blacklisted from the sport. Morrison's record is 49 wins, 3 losses and 44 knockouts.

R.I.P. Tommy Morrison (1969-2013).

Ex-Heavyweight Champ Tommy Morrison Dies at 44

Edited by areaseven

On a related note, former WBO Heavyweight Champion Tommy Morrison has died at the age of 44. He played the villain Tommy Gunn in Rocky V. In 1993, Morrison beat George Foreman for the WBO Heavyweight Championship before losing it to Michael Bentt four months later. Then in 1996, he was banned from boxing after testing positive for HIV. Despite proving his HIV tests to be false positives, Morrison remained blacklisted from the sport. Morrison's record is 49 wins, 3 losses and 44 knockouts.

R.I.P. Tommy Morrison (1969-2013).

Ex-Heavyweight Champ Tommy Morrison Dies at 44

Uh.. did he prove his HIV tests were false positives? I read an article that quoted his mom as saying he was dying of AIDS and most the time you hear at some point that he started claiming they were false positives but... he's dead at 44... so there's that.

Uh.. did he prove his HIV tests were false positives? I read an article that quoted his mom as saying he was dying of AIDS and most the time you hear at some point that he started claiming they were false positives but... he's dead at 44... so there's that.

According to news articles such as this, Morrison tested negative on later blood tests. His wife claimed he was suffering from Guillain–Barré syndrome.

Yeah... but GBS and AIDS aren't mutually exclusive. He also never came back after his HIV diagnosis and his claims post career were all a bit... suspect. His mom says AIDS and we're led to believe she had a relationship with him so I would probably hold back from saying he was PROVEN to be HIV negative. It's a tragedy either way, especially having his career shot down when/how it was, so no real point in belaboring the point beyond that.

• 1 year later...

LOVED Rocky Balboa...IMO it was just short of being the best in the series and is tied with Rocky as the best. I agree with MilkManX, this looks like what mad Balboa and the original so good. Cautiously opptomistic for this one. :)

Chris

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Fresh at 94% on RT, looks like the old nostalgic films of our lives are making a comeback.

I'm planning on seeing it tomorrow as part of my families thanksgiving movie day.

Also neat tidbit I read is that this movies release marked the 40th anniversary of the originals release.

Just got back from watching it and all I can say is...

GO SEE CREED!!!

I've seen a lot of movies people have said are must watch this year, but I've often been disappointed. Creed trully is something special.

I kind of got to say the oppisite. It was an okay movie. I got a little choked up a couple times in it, but a lot of the film felt boring and this introduction of fighters by stopping and bringing up their stats was cheesy as sin. it ruined the pace of the film and the type of film the new franchise needed to live up too. If it was going to do this everytime there's a new creed movie, I'd get super annoyed. Also, I would of at least liked some cameos of other rocky characters. All we ever got WAS rocky. What about lil Marie? or Steps? We were introduced to new characters last film and now, POOF gone.

What bugs me the most was the rocky film went full circle and closed things up. Now we got this Creed movie and it kind of opens the door back up for Rocky's story in another perspective. And without Stallone or his character, Adonis and Michael B Jordan have got nothing as there are no other big A list actors in it.

On the plus sides though, Stallone did well, one of his better acting moments and that says a lot....I don't think I've seen him this sincere about his character since probably the original rocky film.

Bianca, good character, she wasn't the typical black chick a lot of hollywood writers come up with in a run down neighborehood imo.

I thought the film was good, but I don't think it was deserving of that 90%+ rating. More like 80%.