3 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Wasn't too impressed with season 5 to be honest. Hoping they can do better in filling in some of the plot holes for certain characters. One of the things I hope they also return to is better combat sequences like what they had in Season 1 -3.

I think the animation team is doing all right given the circumstances. I won't argue that there was a definite drop in quality after losing Monty, though, because that much was evident and it was unfortunate. Moving to a new software package to do the 3D rendering also added its own learning curve; however, season 5 shows a noticeable improvement over season 4. I'm hoping season 6 shows more forward progress in that regard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I sat down to watch the first two episodes of volume 6 yesterday. Big skirmishes on the railroad are in, polite awkwardness between Yang and Blake is still a thing, and we have another character introduction, but lets get talking about the second episode, can we? I've hidden the rest inside a spoiler tag (don't look if you haven't watched through episode two).

Spoiler

Wow. I wasn't prepared for that twist. :o

So the "it's not a genie" artifact turns out to be hiding a d'jinn in actual fact (cute). Ruby asks her about what Ozpin is hiding, which is understandable. I think the seed of doubt was there for volume 3, with Qrow and Raven nurturing it with their interactions in volume 4. Trust levels are obliterated, though, when Oz starts the mental gymnastics with Oscar. I was really surprised when team RWBY turned on Qrow during Oscar and Ozpin fight for mental control.

But then Jinn actually started to tell the story that Oz didn't want the students to hear, and that one was even more of a doozy. It looks like we will be getting the story of the girl in the tower, aka Salem. Now I have a feeling this isn't going to end well.

I've only seen episode 1, because I am a peasant that isn't paying any sort of subscription fee to watch a cartoon one week early(and can't be bothered to find a torrent over a one-week delay). But it was pretty darn cool.

There was  one thing I really liked about the train fight, though...

In the past, it has been notable that Qrow's fighting style doesn't look ANYTHING like Ruby's, even though she allegedly learned all her moves from him.  This time, their moves actually look related,

Spoiler

even ignoring the mirror-move double-kill.

It was a small, but appreciated, touch.

Edited by JB0

lol. I caved on the first subscription last season. The cliffhangers forced my hand...at least that’s the excuse I’m sticking to.

But yeah, watching Qrow and Ruby in the train battle, and seeing the similarity in form and style was cool. I also enjoyed seeing Weiss continuing to use her semblance in creative ways.

Welp, I couldn't wait the week. I was able to hold out for two days. and watched episode four earlier this evening. :mellow:

So, I'll continue to keep my reactions hidden.

Spoiler

This week's punch to the gut moment: When Ruby tries to cheer up Oscar (after Oz seals himself away), and Qrow tells her not to lie to him--Ouch.