Books Nippan/U.S. Renditions - A Blast from the Past

Duke Togo

Lookie what I found! I know there have to be a decent chunk of you out there who, like me, got their collections started at Books Nippan. Speak up and make yourselves known! (bonus points to anyone who still has their card)

post-1088-0-83116600-1377028608_thumb.png

Wow! From the Dark Ages of early US anime & manga... I remember making pilgrimages from Boston to NYC (with a side trip to Yaohan & Pony Toys in NJ) every few months to visit Books Nippan and Books Kinokuniya. That was close to 25 years ago!!! I used to order from Nikaku in San Jose too, and browse the General Products catalogs.

Things are so much easier these days... Great find and some fond memories! :)

ps - no card though...

Guest davidwhangchoi

wow, that's where i first brought my first macross dyrl book. Downtown Manhattan. i just came back from eating lunch at Mitsuwa which was formerly Yaohan in NJ. they still sell Gundams and mangas, not much macross though. I live 5 minutes from there.

Wow! From the Dark Ages of early US anime & manga... I remember making pilgrimages from Boston to NYC (with a side trip to Yaohan & Pony Toys in NJ) every few months to visit Books Nippan and Books Kinokuniya. That was close to 25 years ago!!! I used to order from Nikaku in San Jose too, and browse the General Products catalogs.

Things are so much easier these days... Great find and some fond memories! :)

ps - no card though...

Fond memories indeed.

I remember going to the Yaohan around Christmas time back in (I think) 1990. Don't remember what store it was, but I remember one of them having the DYRL Perfect Edition VHS tape and LD set sitting on the shelf. The Pony Toys had the 1/55 Bandai Hi-Metal. All of them priced way beyond my reach at the time. But I did have just enough money to buy Mari Iijima's Merry Christmas Melody CD album.

And yes, I used to order from Nikaku Animart as well. Up until about 1999-ish. Loved getting their paper catalogues.

US Renditions' 3 volume Gunbuster release (w' white clamshell cases) was the first anime I ever purchased with my own hard earned money. I still have them. They sit right next to my Blu-ray discs.

Didn't Books Nippon have a store in Manhattan? I kinda remember seeing it but it was closed. I really wanted to check it out..

Yup!

And Roy, you news to dig up that card and post a pic!

Edited by Duke Togo

I lost my membership card, but it was through Books Nippan that I got my very first Macross book, the DYRL Gold Book.

I was really sad when they closed the NYC store. It may have been small, but it had a pretty good selection of anime books and magazines.

Even Mitsuwa is a shell of its former self. I miss Pony Toys and the Kinokuniya that was there. Back in the 90s my friends and I would make monthly trips up there to get our magazines and manga volumes. The bookstore that's there now has nowhere near the selection that Kinokuniya had. And don't even get me started on how much the one store there charges for its models and toys. You could easily pay $100 for a 3000-yen kit.

I lost my card as well. I used to go to the first LA store (on 6th St.) occasionally (first time I went, I picked up the Megazone Part 1 soundtrack on vinyl). But I went to the second (on 9th St.) pretty often, since I could drive by that point.

And I *might* still have my card somewhere, but it'd be back in the States.

I think Books Nippan is where I ordered my "Artmic Design Works" book from. My very first anime book purchase. Don't think I ever had the card. Strictly mail order for me, since I was in Minnesota at the time.

Wow-now that is a flashback!

I still have one of their catalogs around too. Bought many of my first books from them in the 80's. They used to go to the San Diego Comic Con back when it was in the hotel. Huge tables full of Macross books!

I can't believe you guys still have your membership cards!!!

Shawn

Guest davidwhangchoi

i brought Maddox-01 and Gunbuster from there. my first time ever going downtown on the train ever as a kid, i was scared but glad i made the trip.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I think Books Nippan is where I ordered my "Artmic Design Works" book from. My very first anime book purchase. Don't think I ever had the card. Strictly mail order for me, since I was in Minnesota at the time.

I've always regretted not picking up that book when I had the chance.

I know I don't have the card now. Unless it's in my parent's basement somewhere. I vaguely remember having one. But I didn't know Books Nippan had stores. I always called in orders.

I wish I could go back in time and look for cels around that time. I was only getting books and a few CDs back then. I think I have some pencil boards? I know I have Macross, Dirty Pair, Zillion, and other laminate things. Oh and a few VHS tapes. Gunbuster, Dangaio, Macross II. Speaking of which I just found Devil Hunter Yohko on VHS. I think I only watched this once and can't believe I actually own it. The fan service is crazy in it.

• 3 years later...

THE TIME TO REMEMBER HAS COME!  REMINISCE!!!!

I present to you a scan of the entire 1987 Books Nippan catalog that somehow found its way to me.  I was 12 at the time, and I'm not quite sure how or why this catalog showed up at my house.  I've always thought it was because I mailed away for a copy of the Robotech BGM, but I didn't realize at the time I was buying it from Books Nippan.

As a kid growing up in suburban New Jersey in the 1980's, this catalog was the only window I had to world of Anime and Japanese Sci-Fi.  I would study the catalog, memorizing every detail about the terrible, low quality black-and-white photo copied cover art work featured in this catalog.  I'd wonder what words like "MOOK" or "Perfect Collection" meant!   When I received this catalog, the only anime I had seen at the time was Voltron, Robotech, and G-Force.

My 12 year old brain didn't know what to make of "Call Me Tonight"!

Here's a link on Facebook if you don't want to download it:
https://www.facebook.com/armen.nakashian/media_set?set=a.10209672122821821.1073741854.1292079797&type=3&notif_t=like&notif_id=1500816911286233

And here are the original scans as Jpg's in a single zip file if you are interested!

books-nippan-01.thumb.jpg.2cd4cee954a38b7de52a4a0604e377da.jpgbooks-nippan-13.thumb.jpg.36aa5456433d28f140b10027ad71a46d.jpgbooks-nippan-05.thumb.jpg.8fb5875822bcc90d3a59a7f99bd0659a.jpgbooks-nippan-08.thumb.jpg.ead13834c908a500b518a606b00e397a.jpg

books-nippan-1987.zip

Edited by armentage

On 7/23/2017 at 4:29 AM, armentage said:

I present to you a scan of the entire 1987 Books Nippan catalog that somehow found its way to me.  I was 12 at the time, and I'm not quite sure how or why this catalog showed up at my house.  I've always thought it was because I mailed away for a copy of the Robotech BGM, but I didn't realize at the time I was buying it from Books Nippan.

As a kid growing up in suburban New Jersey in the 1980's, this catalog was the only window I had to world of Anime and Japanese Sci-Fi.  I would study the catalog, memorizing every detail about the terrible, low quality black-and-white photo copied cover art work featured in this catalog.  I'd wonder what words like "MOOK" or "Perfect Collection" meant!   When I received this catalog, the only anime I had seen at the time was Voltron, Robotech, and G-Force.

https://www.facebook.com/armen.nakashian/media_set?set=a.10209672122821821.1073741854.1292079797&type=3&notif_t=like&notif_id=1500816911286233

And here are the original scans as Jpg's in a single zip file if you are interested!

books-nippan-01.thumb.jpg.2cd4cee954a38b7de52a4a0604e377da.jpgbooks-nippan-13.thumb.jpg.36aa5456433d28f140b10027ad71a46d.jpgbooks-nippan-05.thumb.jpg.8fb5875822bcc90d3a59a7f99bd0659a.jpgbooks-nippan-08.thumb.jpg.ead13834c908a500b518a606b00e397a.jpg

books-nippan-1987.zip

Oh wow. I had this and still do packed away somewhere. I had so much excitement for the anime back then. It opened up a whole new world for me.

Nice flashback!

I am pretty sure I ordered my Macross BGM albums via this catalog.  I recall they also put out a sheet listing several cels, of which some were Macross.  I think I still have it somewhere...I'll post it if I ever find it.  No idea what happened to my "membership" card.

On 7/23/2017 at 6:29 AM, armentage said:

books-nippan-1987.zip

Thanks for posting this catalog. I used to get these too. I can't remember if it was this exact one but glancing over it, I saw a Gatchaman image that I know I have in my anime clippings folder. So that means I used this like many other catalogs cutting images out and taping them to my desk. Perhaps I'll open that up someday and post the clippings here or in that Anime Nostalgia topic I made some time ago.

I'll check the whole catalog this weekend but this is awesome to see. Post more old catalogs if you find them. I love seeing this stuff.

7 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Nice flashback!

I am pretty sure I ordered my Macross BGM albums via this catalog.  I recall they also put out a sheet listing several cels, of which some were Macross.  I think I still have it somewhere...I'll post it if I ever find it.  No idea what happened to my "membership" card.

If you find the cel sheet post it. I can't remember seeing a cels for sale section from them. I know I have the original Robotech vinyl record. I guess that was from back then. Perhaps the first Robotech Art 1 book. I know I got Robotech Art 2 in a bookstore. Perhaps Crown Books? I don't think they exist anymore.

Some thoughts about this catalog as I'm kind of confused by my memory of past anime discoveries. Perhaps it's just me getting older. Anyway, the Robotech Art books 1, 2, and 3 are listed in the catalog but I don't remember purchasing them from a straight text list. And more, I recall it was a big deal getting Robotech Art 1. And that Art 2 and 3 weren't out yet when I got Art 1. But when I got Robotech Art 1, I'm sure there were catalog images, which there aren't in this catalog. Back then I probably only noticed items with big images and if I had the catalog from this year I only purchased the items that had good clear pictures. Which makes me wonder why I didn't pick up on Iczer, Megazone, and others. Also, I see the Robotech record soundtrack listed but I wonder if I purchased it from this catalog as I'm fairly sure I have a color clipping from the original advertisement. I kind of remember the ad for the record on the back of a catalog.

I guess it's possible that I had this catalog and just paged through it and cut out good images like the Gatchaman and Spider-Man images as I know I had those on my desk and still have them in a clippings folder. Also, I see the Gold Book in this catalog but it wasn't called the Gold Book yet I guess. No way would I pay that price for a book back in 1987 or earlier though. And I see a lot of Macross the movie items but can't recall if I saw the movie by 1987. I think I might have that Macross the movie poster featured in the catalog and a few other smaller ones. But I still need one of the real theater posters.

This is the Macross game I played on Famicom which came out in 1985.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Super_Dimension_Fortress_Macross_(1985_video_game)

But I don't think I played it till some years later, l when I was importing and getting stuff from people that went to Japan and Hong Kong. I remember having to get a converter to get Macross and Gradius II to play. And it doesn't look like there was a normal Macross game on PC Engine. So my bad memory made me think I played a PC Engine version.

Perhaps I need to remember when I purchased more old toys to put together a timeline of my mindset at the time. For example, I know I purchased the original SD Veritechs at a toy store during winter time. I was surprised seeing them as I think I might have owned Jetfire and I didn't really like the fact that he had the Transformers symbol on a Robotech vehicle. I thought it was copying. Plus, I love the rotating heat shields on those SD versions. According to wiki, Jetfire came out in 1985 and so did Robotech. I'm going to research and figure out this forgotten time mystery.

Ah, good memories. Remember picking up a Gakken Ride Armor (the large one) from Pony Toys LA for something crazy like $29.99. There was a bunch of old stock left, and this was sometime around the very early 90s. Mostly, w/r/t Books Nippan, I just remember the joy of American anime in its infance--Animerica, Mecha Press...along with anime VHS tapes that cost $29.99-$34.99 and held two episodes each...that I don't miss so much. 

On 7/30/2017 at 5:38 PM, gingaio said:

Ah, good memories. Remember picking up a Gakken Ride Armor (the large one) from Pony Toys LA for something crazy like $29.99. There was a bunch of old stock left, and this was sometime around the very early 90s. Mostly, w/r/t Books Nippan, I just remember the joy of American anime in its infance--Animerica, Mecha Press...along with anime VHS tapes that cost $29.99-$34.99 and held two episodes each...that I don't miss so much. 

I wonder how much that Ride Armor cost originally. I wouldn't pay $29.99 for it now. Although I think I sold both that and the Alpha for a lot more some years ago. I was surprised as they weren't in the best condition either.

I remember those days of expensive VHS tapes but the good ones like Bubblegum Crisis and Dangaio were only one episode per tape and $25+ I think.

On 7/30/2017 at 5:40 PM, davidwhangchoi said:

i went here in the 80's! my first trip downtown alone as a kid in NYC!

Lucky. I always wanted to visit the New York and California shops during those times. Do you remember seeing cels in New York?