Proposed Regult Costume

mechaban

I'd like to try my hand at making this costume, but I may be in over my head. I have no experience with engineering or sculpting, but I think the idea is sound. I'm just unsure of how difficult it would be, not to mention how expensive, to make such large pieces. And what is the best material to work with? Resin? Fiberglass? Any advice?

post-1805-0-00956200-1375819903_thumb.jpg

I'd recommend looking back a ways through the boards. There was someone who designed a couple of valk-girl cosplay outfits using mostly moldable craft foam. Comes in sheets, and seems to have been quite shapeable. You might need some underlying structure for something that bulky, but I think that would be a great start.

I think sculpting the legs to curve from a normal walking position would be better in the long run. Spending time walking around backwards will get tiresome very quickly. There are ways to make legs look inverted from the natural walking state.

I've seen backwards costumes done before, and yeah, they might get tiring, but the nice thing is that it's simpler than a setup that'll require you to make some kind of stilt/shoe to essentially give you animal-ish legs (which can be done mind you, but will probably be complicated and expensive).

Best one I've ever seen was actually much more complicated than this, due to the subject. Someone made an animatronic life-sized chocobo costume. The shape of the body pretty much required them to be hunched over, with their head right in the tail end of the bird, and I think they rigged up controls for the head/arms, and maybe a camera. Compared to that, this should be really simple. :lol:

Now, you could always go for a cartoony SD version, make the head huge, and have no trouble hiding your head. And actually, keeping it backwards would allow you to just pop open the entry hatch to see out.

You should definitely get some of those cheap foam ball blaster nerf guns for the turrets though.

I saw this video several months ago and thought that the chicken-walker problem was handled well. The costume is so well-done, I barely notice the human legs.

http://youtu.be/oTWMXRWN0N8

Maybe this will help you in deciding how to do your costume.

Side note: not sure why the embed isn't working for me...

Edited by frothymug

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is a totally cool idea and a lot of fun to engineer. Don't blow a lot of money on materials. Build a wire mesh and cover it with paper mache as previously reccomended. The wire can come out later on. If you get it the right thickness, the surface can be sanded and a gloss coating would make it look fiberglassed. The thrusters would give you air flow as well as the arm hole you pictured.

I'd have to say backwards all the way! You can always just walk forward when "chillin." The legs have to be reversed to add to the realism.

There are three horizontal "cuts" into the rear hatch and a hexagonal shape in the hatch. Just cut them out and tint for your forward visuals. The bike mirror was a great idea when walking backwards. Make the rounded part of the foot bigger and it will encompass your feet too. Just my two cents! - MT