Arcadia: 1/60 VF 1S Roy Focker Special Movie Ver

kengiu

Just out of curiosity, who did you order with? And how was their packaging?

hlj. Standard box in a box surrounded by air pillows.

So as I said before, this is my first arcadia. And I have to say, i'm a little disappointed. It lacks heft, feels fragile. I changed it into battroid and thought i was going to snap everything off. poseability is just OK, the gunpod is flimsy and doesn't sit well in the hands which kind of limits the posing you can do with it. proportions look nice but honestly i care about that the least. i dunno what i expected, really, i just thought maybe.....just a little bit more for the 200+ dollars.

Were the old Yamato v2s better or worse than the current Arcadias? Maybe I should hunt those instead.

So as I said before, this is my first arcadia. And I have to say, i'm a little disappointed. It lacks heft, feels fragile. I changed it into battroid and thought i was going to snap everything off. poseability is just OK, the gunpod is flimsy and doesn't sit well in the hands which kind of limits the posing you can do with it. proportions look nice but honestly i care about that the least. i dunno what i expected, really, i just thought maybe.....just a little bit more for the 200+ dollars.

Were the old Yamato v2s better or worse than the current Arcadias? Maybe I should hunt those instead.

They are the same.

This is the first time I've seen someone get so dissappointed about the 1/60 v2 VF-1's. Sorry about that if it didn't meet your expectations. Knowing that most of us here really love the v2 VF-1's. :unsure:

But, the Yamato ones and the Arcadia ones are basically the same. Well, except for that white paint they use. :rolleyes: Remember that Arcadia is using the same mold from Yamato VF-1. And if ever you're going to hunt down for the Yamato ones, you're probably going to spend more. Who knows, that maybe down the line, Arcadia will reissue everything and probably cheaper too than what those old Yamato ones cost now. So think about it. But if you really want the old ones, then good luck hunting those. ;)

And if you're looking for more poseable VF-1's, then I guess, the Hi-Metal R is right up your alley. Good luck sir! ^_^

Pretty much the same except some minor twitches on the nosecone's hatch where it meets the crotch bar and joints are tightened in the correct torque.

This is probably the best representation of vf-1 in toy form IMO, but I think the chunky monkey may be your best bet if the proportion and sculpt is what you care the least for. It holds the gun tight in the hand, easily transformed between modes without fears to break anything, and for a lot less in price too.

Edited by Vi-RS

I think he's just disappointed that the Arcadia (having never owned a Yamato), was very lacking in diecast, since he mentioned about the lack of heft.

Perhaps he's more accustomed to something akin to a DX Chogokin?

Also while I haven't gotten the Arcadia VF-1s, I do own a Yamato, and it is possible to get a firm grip on the gunpod. You just need to have ensure it's slotted into the palms properly, before closing the fingers.

yeah, i dunno. like I said, i expected it to be more like a toy, and less like a model kit if that makes any sense. It does look great in fighter, i'll give it that.

I had some of the old-school yamato vf-1 releases. I had the 1/48 low vis at one point, but i think i took it out of the box once before i traded it away and dont remember anything about it. This is my first 1/60.

I really like the hi-metal Rs; ill concentrate on those from here on out I guess.

Sorry to hear that. I'm surprised you didn't get a Yamato one. Do you or did you own a chunky monkey? I manhandle my valks so they look fragile but are durable. As for the gunpod, which part is flimsy? The handgrip itself or the rear? Also, is the articulated hand gripping it all the way closed? When set up correctly mine doesn't move at all.

Edit: Sorry, was too slow to type when the above posts popped up.

Edited by wmkjr

yeah, i dunno. like I said, i expected it to be more like a toy, and less like a model kit if that makes any sense. It does look great in fighter, i'll give it that.

I had some of the old-school yamato vf-1 releases. I had the 1/48 low vis at one point, but i think i took it out of the box once before i traded it away and dont remember anything about it. This is my first 1/60.

I really like the hi-metal Rs; ill concentrate on those from here on out I guess.

I don't have the Arcadia, but I do have the old Yammies. From reports, they're basically the same quality.

The old Yammies-v2s were very tight and will give you that uneasy feeling that you may break it or something. Lots of people here over the years have been surprised how scary tight the 1/60v2s are.

That said, the 1/60v2 is very light when naked. However, attach the FPs and then you get the heft. Still not gonna be as hefty or even as heavy as a DX Chogokin or a SOC, but it'll be hefty enough.

The plastic quality ain't model-kit quality. It's quite thicker and stronger. It's just different from Bandai's stuff.

Again from reports here, the only valk that feels like a model-kit (aside from the actual macross model-kits) is the Evolution Toys VF2-SS.

The Yammie GU-11 gunpod is not flimsy, so I'm a bit surprised that your Arcadia GU-11 is. Unless you just didn't quite pull and push/lock the grip when extended.

However the default hands can be "flimsy" to some people. The wrist-joints, especially. If they are, then you can just simply swap it with the included solid hands.

Also, the old yammie-v1 have had significant diecast parts (both legs, iirc) compared to the v2, so yeah, the v2's lightness will be a surprising feel if your only experience is from the old v1. The v1 was heavier than the 1/48, iirc.

edit:

also forgot to mention that, yeah, the sticker-shock of the current Arcadia-pricing does not really help in the satisfaction dept.

Edited by treatment

Sorry to hear that. I'm surprised you didn't get a Yamato one. Do you or did you own a chunky monkey? I manhandle my valks so they look fragile but are durable. As for the gunpod, which part is flimsy? The handgrip itself or the rear? Also, is the articulated hand gripping it all the way closed? When set up correctly mine doesn't move at all.

Edit: Sorry, was too slow to type when the above posts popped up.

I actually do own two chunky monkeys!

As far at the 1/60's gunpod goes, yeah. both the handle AND the rear of the gunpod are flimsy as hell.

even when its locked, its not very sturdy. maybe i got a lemon.

Mine is like that too. But I'm not gonna consider it as a lemon just because the gunpod won't stay on the palm tabs. There's a lot of ways to fix that actually. You can put some tack in between the hands and gunpod. Or you can put some paper in between them before you insert the handle slot over the palm tabs just to make it tighter. You can also add some dab of nail polish on the palm's tab too just to tighten it up.

I know how frustrating it is esp when you think about the price and weighing down all your expectations. It's either ignore the flaw and have fun with it or you can do some fixing just to meet your expectation. Or if you're really not that impressed, then just sell it while there's still demands. ;)

even when its locked, its not very sturdy. maybe i got a lemon.

Not sure if you do have a lemon or not, but I'm guessing you're just new to it. At least, I just hope so. It would really suck if your version has a gunpod that behaves differently than our's. Returning or exchanging it might be more challenging and stuff.

Here's a couple of reviews of the 1/60v2 that oughta help you be better acquainted with the toy. You can see in both reviews how the GU-11 gunpod is on both the Yamato and Arcadia versions.

original 2008 Yamato version review from CollectionDX:

https://youtu.be/Q47j_cyK8AA

Arcadia VF-1S (naked version) review by Jenius:

https://youtu.be/ub9G39HaMB4

Edited by treatment

I think I know where he is coming from. I can understand why the toy feels a tad flimsy. If you compare it with other collector toys like some of the Masterpiece Transformers, 3rd party transforming robots or SoC releases the VF-1 feels light in comparison. And thus flimsy while handling it especially when transforming the legs.

However you have to keep in mind that the VF-1 has do do a lot more stuff than other releases. First it is a very small and slim toy. This means the legs don't have much room to accommodate the sliding foot, the fully functional landing gear and the Gerwalk and knee joints. This means that if they want to be close to the line art the legs have to make sacrifices somehow. Another point is that the VF-1 has a predefined transformation that you have to adhere to thus the shoulder joints are a flimsy by the line art. The VF-1 also include a lot of stuff that other transforming toys don't have. Besides the landing gear there is the incorporated cockpit canopy, the layered chest piece and the mechanisms for the swing bar.

If you want a similar toy that feels much heftier I would go with Arcadias VF-0S which is also a larger jet.

I got a chance to look my first Arcadia as well as first V2 valk over. Man is this thing pretty! And everything fits together really well too. Almost seamless. I wasn't expecting too much. I mean I had jetfire as a kid and currently have some of the toynami figs so I guess that's what my comparison was. Making the leg fins adjustable was a nice touch. And the head sculpt.....yes! I hated my toynami one. I sold it actually. Kept the other ones for now but that one just...grrrr

Now I want more

yeah the gunpod thing kinda sucks but it doesn't enrage me or anything. definitely not going to return it because of that, i'm probably never going to transform this thing ever again anyways.

As for landing gear, one issue i have with mine is that the left leg gear did NOT want to flip out. at all. I had to apply major force with a flathead to get it to finally come out and ended up stripping some paint off the landing gear tab, which is annoying but not a dealbreaker. Im not saying the thing sucks, it looks great but I just figured for the price the materials might have been a little bit better and certain things (like the gunpod) would have been sturdier. And I cant help but feel like some parts are just waiting to break. Like the shoulders (with that half-circle mechansim to slide them out from under the body during transformation) and the leg bar coupling in the back of the nosecone. Popping that thing out scares the crap out of me.....

Edited by Cowboy17

Yeah. There's nothing we can do about the current exorbitant pricing on it, unfortunately.

Most of us were quite lucky to have gotten our Yammies back when the pricing was alot more reasonable. Some even got their's on bargain-pricing during the glut back in the day.

As such and if you're completely new to the 1/60v2, it does take a tad bit for some people to appreciate and absorb how almost completely different the engineering and the fit/finish of the 1/60v2 VF-1 compared to other current and even older toys from other brands and even with Arcadia's own other lines.

My first time handling a modern Valk was the Armored 1J that came out last year. I remember being surprised at the size and weight since I'm used to the OG 1/55 but completely enamored with the look and details. The tight tolerances, especially in the landing gears are frightening but the plastic seems very strong. There is some looseness in areas that bothered me a bit but finally having a complete Valkyrie with the Armor Parts installed and in my hands was more than enough for me to put aside any issues and just be in love. I've been hooked ever since and my only regret is not being on the ball when these were first released as 1/48 and the V2's but that was the short period of time where I pretty much stopped collecting comics and toys and was focused on my car. I don't think there is a line of finer figures anywhere in terms of detail and design. The VF-0S being the best of the bunch so far. But obviously, the Focker 1S is the most iconic must have for a Macross collection. Now I need my M&M that have eluded me my entire life.

yeah the gunpod thing kinda sucks but it doesn't enrage me or anything. definitely not going to return it because of that, i'm probably never going to transform this thing ever again anyways.

As for landing gear, one issue i have with mine is that the left leg gear did NOT want to flip out. at all. I had to apply major force with a flathead to get it to finally come out and ended up stripping some paint off the landing gear tab, which is annoying but not a dealbreaker. Im not saying the thing sucks, it looks great but I just figured for the price the materials might have been a little bit better and certain things (like the gunpod) would have been sturdier. And I cant help but feel like some parts are just waiting to break. Like the shoulders (with that half-circle mechansim to slide them out from under the body during transformation) and the leg bar coupling in the back of the nosecone. Popping that thing out scares the crap out of me.....

Understood. But look on the bright side sir. Even with the current pricing of these babies, with that amount, good thing it's not Evolution Toys' VF-2SS with SAP that you bought. ;)

Edited by no3Ljm

• 2 weeks later...

Having a few bandai chogokin 25s and 29s I have to say I think the plastic on the Yamcadias is much better as far as looks. You are paying a premium price, I would be angry if it did feel like a toy at this price. Just give your premium, expensive figure the care and respect it deserves when transforming it and you will have little problem with breaking. The vf-1's are the easiest to transform out of all the toys, so heads up on that if you do branch out into other macross toys.

^ I agree. And even though Bandai's YF-30 and VF-19 Advance have a matte finish to it, it's still doesn't have the same feel like Yamato/Arcadia. I'm not into arguing on what looks better or not. But for me, the overall feel to it, Yamato/Arcadia still looks premium as is. And they easy to transform. ^_^

I recently bought a Metal Build Exia, and I have to say the overall look, looks awesome. :wub: Paint and tampos, they all look crisp and clean. Even the plastic looks nice too. It feels like it's using a different plastic than their DX Valk line. And I wonder sometimes, if only the DX line is somehow more in-line on how the Metal Build quality looks, it would have been perfect for me. ;)

Anyways, back to topic. This Arcadia Roy VF-1S is superb. ;)

The vf-1's are the easiest to transform out of all the toys, so heads up on that if you do branch out into other macross toys.

I found the VF-4G to be the easiest to transform so far...Part of what makes the VF-1 seem easy I think is we've all been transforming versions of it most our lives. When I got my first 1/60 VF-1, I was able to most but had to refer to the manual and video a few times to make sure I did it right and didn't break anything. VF-4G was easy with no instructions or prior knowledge of anything about it.

I found the VF-4G to be the easiest to transform so far...Part of what makes the VF-1 seem easy I think is we've all been transforming versions of it most our lives. When I got my first 1/60 VF-1, I was able to most but had to refer to the manual and video a few times to make sure I did it right and didn't break anything. VF-4G was easy with no instructions or prior knowledge of anything about it.

Really? :blink: If that were true, then I salute you. :rolleyes:

the only thing i was disappointed with the VF1S Roy is the backpack hinge/flap thing. that thing felt super fragile and i did bend it but caught myself before it broke. By comparison, the 1/48 feels more durable, but that's a whole heap bigger than the 1/60. The thing i really dig about hte 1/60's are how flush the shoulders sit inside the valk in fighter mode. Also love the ribcage covers and the neck cover it came with.