Arcadia: 1/60 VF 1S Roy Focker Special Movie Ver

kengiu

Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but as a matter of principle I refuse to pay that much just to get a display stand. That can't have cost them that much to design and make, so the mark up on those things has to be insane. I don't mind paying for expensive items when I know that the expense is justified due to complexity of design, premium materials, high-level craftsmanship, or exceptional quality of build and durability. But we're talking about a plastic stand that took them a few hours to draw up on CAD and costs probably a couple bucks a piece to make in China. That's not worth an extra $40-$50.

As a remark I have to add that I really like the Bandai stands (for their Renewal Valkyries). Don't know why but something in my brain must be weired differently. :D

I think the Bandai stands kick butt. . . detailed, gloss black, reliable and sturdy. But you are limited to one angle in fightermode. Looking forward to handling the Arcadia to see how well it will hold up in dynamic poses.

If they are going to bother to fix the launch arm, and we at least have the arm floating over the jet the correct way.

Or simply make an adapter that slides on to the backpack, so the arm can actually be the right direction.

To top it off, make the stand able to change from L to --- so we could technically mount them to a wall.

Unless no one cares, I'm just saying, if your gonna bother to remake the DYRL arm, make it accurate.

Well if we want to cast our minds back to the two releases of the YF-21

http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00067/Sci

21,800 yen for FAST packs and stand

http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00188/Sci

18,800 yen without FAST packs and stand

So I guess in their minds, yes that stand is worth at least 3000 yen. The question is, where does the rest go?

over-oversized box and vacuum-sealing?

I'm definitely in for M&M 1J reissues, a VT-1, and one or two non-hero Valkyries Arcadia may choose to put out, as well as TV fast packs, but I already have all the TV character units I care to own so I'm sitting this one out along with the inevitable Hikaru 1J... may be tempted if a GBP-1S bundle is reissued.

Why are you guys still comparing Arcadia's prices to Yamato's? Yamato went BANKRUPT. Maybe this is just what they should have been charging to begin with. If paying a little more ensures future Macross products, I'll gladly pay more.

Keep in mind too, the VF-11's were right at $180 bucks and they just had tiny fast packs, a gun, and a pilot.

It's just the way collecting is going. Materials cost more ... and it's a luxury item. Plus the economy is a lot different than it was back in 08.

Edited by Gakken85

Because Bandai comes with a stand for 130$

Valks use to be 110-120$

Now they are 140-160$ and come with a stand

I think people wanted a stand, but not if it came with a higher prices.

Bandai's stand is a useless piece of black plastic that let's you pose your Valk in exactly one fixed pose. This new one actually adjusts at several different spots. It's silly to keep harping on Arcadia for including a stand. They're not going to just duke one to you for free.

I love this. All you hear is "Bandai includes a stand. How come Yamato never includes a stand." For the same price as a Bandai Valk Arcadia is including a stand. Now all we hear is, "why the frakk do we want a stand???"

Totally agree here. I think the inclusion of the stand is a big deal. For collectors who already have dozens upon dozens of valkyries on shelves, it doesn't mean much but let's say you are a noob and this is your very first VF-1 toy. (like when you first bought your vf-1 1/48). The stand can make your display look a lot better. I have the SV-51 stand and like others have mentioned it hold the giant bird up really well. It's one of my fave fighters.

As for the high price of these, I hope this becomes the definitive VF-1 because it has all the little pieces we have always whined about that should have included in the first place but seems to have been missing.

If they re-release hikaru, the GBP and the FP and they make enough money, it will probably convince them to go on and do other variants I think. (I still haven't got a VF-1D! )

What they need to do however is to not overproduce. Because when they do that people know it will go on sale if they just wait wait wait wait and then it ends up hurting the company.

Just make enough to fill demand. But concentrate on high quality. (someone mentioned the ugly box design - if they fix that problem, this can help make the toy look presentable to the quality conscious buyers)

The old yamato of the past that we knew where you would get breakages is unacceptable for a high grade collector's toy. (people may bash bandai but their 1/100 Himetal VF-1 is made of good materials despite its high cost) By the time yf-19 comes out I expect it to be as good as VF-4 and VF-19 and VF-17 which were the later releases.

I think we all got a bit spoilt by the VF-1 prices so now it is hard to accept the higher cost, but in the end if they try to spread releases out further apart, and release the toys slowly, and not overproduce, they won't end up going belly up again. Go for only the popular characters, keep the demand high by not overproducing, and space the releases apart so we can all afford them is the key I think.

There are some people who think the little extras are not worth bothering with: but it impresses a first time buyer of a toy when they see that the makers of the toy thought about everything. If you are on your 40th VF-1 it's not a big deal but let's say this is the introduction to macross toy collecting. The inclusion of these extras gives a good "first impression". Yes WE all know that it's just a yamato relabeled because we are constantly looking for new information about it. But do ordinary people who don't constantly collect it, and who see the new Arcadia label know that? You want them to think these are premium quality products so they can justify paying high price. So yeah presentation I think is the key here. I think having the stand with each release makes a difference. But if you are buying these things in multiples of 3 and have virtually unlimited space, maybe it isn't a big problem for you. But then maybe the whole idea of them being cheap and easy to obtain is not good from a business perspective for an old show.

We know that because some shows are more popular than others it means the less popular ones are less likely to get any love as it is too risky. What if the reason they are upping the price of these is to help fund the cost of doing mecha from shows that are not very popular? Maybe this is what they've decided: "let's just raise the price a bit, aim only at the desperate collector first, rake in profits, then use profit to do some more risky things like destroids and other things which are not going to sell in high number so as to protect against the risk of doing them".

We all know the VF-4 got made but it was risky so we had to pay a high price. But maybe by making the cost of the popular valks higher they can open up more options for things we still haven't seen yet? (macross zero destroids for instance) I would much rather buy a toy which maintains a high resale value (due to quality and the demand staying relatively high over long period of time) than one that dips in price so quickly because they overproduced them and they become shelf warmers because the fanbase isn't huge enough to sustain the company long enough for them to stay afloat. The VF-1 isn't as complex as the other valkyries but it doesn't mean they have to lower the price. By keeping it higher, and concentrating on including extras, not having them break apart like the old releases, and makig the box look more presentable, it boosts its resale value on the second hand market and gives the label a better image overall. IE one that cares about toy's lasting appeal over a long time. In ten years time you can get out the old toy look at it and play around with it and it isn't going to look worn and ready to explode the minute you try to transform it. It actually is robust enough to not self destruct for once. lol If you try to resell it to a collector online it still maintain quite high value even so long after release because the buyer knows the original was done right. There is no small defect here or there to have to worry about like with old yamato toys of the past with exploding arms and other things.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I think we got the VF-4G because Yamato was going bust and they just said "f*ck it, let's go out with a bang", and they sure did.

I'm ok with the price, more than what I expected for a VF-1 but we are in essence finally getting a complete VF-1 with pretty much everything we all asked for. But I would've preffer a more aestheticly pleasing stand.

I think the Bandai stands kick butt. . . detailed, gloss black, reliable and sturdy. But you are limited to one angle in fightermode. Looking forward to handling the Arcadia to see how well it will hold up in dynamic poses.

the ones that come with the DX valks. I TOTALLY disagree. They are thick, chunky and not really aesthetically pleasing PLUS they are basicaly non adjustable. The only thing good about them is that they are somewhat stable. I always think stand for things that are supposed to fly SHOULD BE CLEAR. It totally kills the illusion of flight when you have a blark armature sticking into the underside of the fighter or up the butt of the battroid. big black thick glossy stands are a big FAIL for me. They only look somewhat ok if it resembles a launch arm or something like that (granted the stand that came with the cf-171 do kind of have that look but...not really. I like that this yamato stand actually has a somewhat clear (if a bit frost) arm that holds the valk. i also like that you can adjust the angle of the arm and the rotational movement near the attachment point. it looks TONS better than an eyesore bandai stand, although....that base is kind of not aesthtically pleasing and not optimally shaped for balance. i do like that it is large so it has some heft for balance.

1/60 PT VF-1S Roy Fokker Special movie version.

• Neck and side covers.
  • Gunpod.
  • Missiles.
  • Three-barreled anti-aircraft missiles.
  • Pilot figure.
  • Movie version extra hands.
  • Display stand.
  • Stand adapters.
  • Marking stickers.
  • WATER TRANSFER DECALS.
  • Instructions manual.
http://blog.yahoo.com/cybergundam/articles/1272852/index

https://twitter.com/ARCADIA_Co_Ltd

Nice with the neck/side covers!!..no chair lift confirmed?

If this is official I might consider a buy. Especially since I don't have a V2 VF-1 from Yamato.

you don't?!? you're seriously missing out, my friend... :)

Edited by Shaorin

Arcadia's new Facebook cover photo:

VF-1S_zps5562f5e0.jpg

does this mean Yammie/ARCADIA is finally going to be using actual SDFM logos on their VF-1 packaging,

and at least attempt to make them something like the fantastic box designs of 1980's yore?

Well it wasn't used in DYRL, so maybe the TV versions will come with the chair

I remember there is a scene that showing the VF-1S head tilts down when Roy tries to get back to his Valkyrie after the escaped from capture.

Edited by Vi-RS

I remember there is a scene that showing the VF-1S head tilts down when Roy tries to get back to his Valkyrie after the escaped from capture.

I rewatched DRYL just last month, and yes I do remember that scene as well.

(Before he got impaled!!)