I still hadn't seen this movie yet. Do you recommend the original or the ultimate edition for a first viewing?

I found some extended cuts for certain films are worse than the original. Apocalypse Now and Return of the King for example IMHO.

You might as well go straight to the Ultimate Edition, as you will be confused to hell with the theatrical cut.

After watching the Ultimate Edition, I have to ask...

How did Luthor know that Supes can't see through lead?

Aside from that, saying the Ultimate Edition is better than the theatrical release is just like saying Highlander II: The Renegade Version is an improvement over Highlander II: The Quickening - you can make improvements on a bad movie, but in the end, it's still a bad movie.

How did Lex know Superman even had x-ray vision? He never announced all of his powers to anyone, and I doubt it's something the corpse of Zod could've told him. Bad movie is bad.

How did Lex know Superman even had x-ray vision? He never announced all of his powers to anyone, and I doubt it's something the corpse of Zod could've told him. Bad movie is bad.

In the first movie Superman let everyone know he could see through walls when he was in the interrogation room and looked right through the two way mirror. Plenty of people in there to blab it out to the press (even if Lois might not have to begin with)

I still hadn't seen this movie yet. Do you recommend the original or the ultimate edition for a first viewing?

I quick-viewed last night. Go for the Ultimate cut. It doesn't fix some of the story issues, but it flows and does some of the characterizations soooo much better than the theatrical cut.

In the first movie Superman let everyone know he could see through walls when he was in the interrogation room and looked right through the two way mirror. Plenty of people in there to blab it out to the press (even if Lois might not have to begin with)

In the 18-months since his appearance, I'm sure stories have been written about him and people have reported his abilities.

I guess I forgot that little bit in the interrogation room from MoS, I haven't seen that movie in a while and even then I think I only watched it twice. Areaseven's nick pick stands though, how could Lex know or possibly test for the whole lead thing? Zod was dead, no way to ask a corpse, "Can you see through this?" I think I scoffed and nearly choked twice as hard after watching the whole "Martha" revelation in the extended cut, it was just so bad. Why did Superman even say Martha and not just Mom? Because the plot demanded it, nothing more, and still stupid. What if his Mom's name was, oh, say, Debbie? Would Batman have said, "frakk you, and frakk Debbie!" Then stabbed and killed Superman? Crazy bad, but at least the big open set visit for Justice League alleviated some concerns. I'm still not liking The Flash's facial hair, but he sounds to be quite Barry Allen, he's no Grant Gustin though...

I don't know if anyone here noticed this, but...

In the scene where Bruce wakes up from the bat monster nightmare, who's the chick sleeping next to him on his bed?

I'd guess nobody important, but if Snyder/DC had to make it somebody, I'd say Vicky Vale for some reason.

Finally sat down and watched this over the holiday weekend. Went in expecting the absolute worst thing every put on film according to everything I've read and heard. However, I have to say, overall, I liked it! No one was more surprised than me, I'm usually pretty hard on movies, but this one kind of worked for me. Affleck's Batman was alright in my book and Wonder Woman was on point. I'm glad I waited and watched it at home..to long to sit in at theater.

The Ultimate edition is MUCH better too, so that probably helped out too. My wife and I saw it in the theater after ready so much negative crap, and like you I was expecting the worst. We both lied it, but I can admit I agree with the sloppy editing of the theatrical version. We watched the Ultimate edition last week and it fixed most of the problems we had with the movie.

Chris

Finally watched it too. Pacing and editing was definitely better.

For anyone that liked the movie...

Small observation, I noticed this time Clark really does try to live like a human even after taking on another identity. He was taking slow ferry rides to walking up mountains in winter clothes, cooking eggs to calling mom in the middle of the night. There was a real point to show this character's humanity, trying to be a superman, not superman pretending to be a human. "This is my world" made more sense to me. I think that's why i'm ok with this superman. Sure it could be done better like captain america, but cap was born and raised in a different time which gives him the strength for those ideals. Superman is so overpowered, I think in Zack's mind, the only way to humanize him is to show doubts and vulnerabilities instead of self-belief. The character doesn't have to think he's better than humans to be "human" and i hope they find a good balance in Justice League even if he is rumored to be in 1/3rd of it.

Edited by Negotiator

• 2 weeks later...

The fight scene where Batman racks ass on the goons holding Clark's mom was definitely sped up in the theater cut to hide the gore. In the Ultimate edition, it's at a more realistic speed and you get to see more of the damage he is inflicting on those guys like twisted, cracking bones and blood splatters as he pounds their faces. good stuff.

Edited by glane21

You know, maybe the extended edition is better than the theatrical, but I'll never know because I never saw that version; the previews were a complete turn-off to me. Now, I enjoyed Henry Cavil's MoS so for the sake of his performance I finally decided to give this movie a try; I'm certainly not doing this for Ben Affleck.

And...it's been a long day and I can't form any solid thoughts on the movie other than the fact that I really hated this Lex Luthor; it's the one thing that has prominently stood out to me. The whole channeling the Heath Ledger thing strikes me as a sad attempt to recreate the manipulative genius of the Dark Knight Joker, but the performance in this movie sucks; I mean, just STFU already. Maybe it was the HORRIBLY bad acting from the kid, but this Lex Luthor just reminded me of some of the punk smart asses I'd run into during Call of Duty Modern warfare online matches; blah blah blah, on and on and on, blathering about nothing. Again, just STFU already; you're not smart, you're not clever, you're not funny, you're just a nuisance. If the characters of Superman and Batman in this movie weren't so unbelievably dumber than a box of rocks, Lex Luthor would never have made it out of his house, let alone causing all of that mayhem.

Anyway I feel compelled to watch it again, although I'm not sure why. I liked Ben Affleck's cross-fit looking exercises so maybe I'll use this movie as a workout guide or something...

Saw it the first time with the Extended Version on Vudu and for a film that was hastily made with a poor script it was well done. However It didn't win over my wife who loved the Nolan films. Real shame how WB screwed this up. Nolan/Bale's Batman complimented a Man of Steel match up better than this.

• 2 weeks later...

Good thing you did, too. If I remember correctly, the original AA came bundled with Games for Windows Live. Since that DRM is now defunct, you wouldn't have been able to install the game at all.

...at least as far as I last heard. I'm sure you can download a modified installer or something to get around it.