Here's the press release:

BURBANK, CA, July 20, 2013 – On the heels of the worldwide success of “Man of Steel,” director Zack Snyderis bringing together the two greatest Super Heroes of all time—Batman and Superman—for the first time on the big screen. The announcement was made today by Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, and Sue Kroll, President, Worldwide Marketing and International Distribution,Warner Bros. Pictures.

The current hit, “Man of Steel,” has taken in more than $630 million at the worldwide box office to date, and climbing. Along with its star, Henry Cavill, the upcomingfilm brings back Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane. The new Batman has yet to be cast.

Snyder is co-writing the story with David S. Goyer, who will then pen the screenplay. Production is expected to begin in 2014, with an anticipated release date inSummer 2015.

Silverman stated, “Zack Snyder is an incredibly talented filmmaker, but beyond that, he’s a fan first and he utterly gets this genre. We could not think of anyone better suited to the task of bringing these iconic Super Heroes to the screen in his own way.” Kroll added, “We are thrilled to be back in business with Zack and his team on this next movie. The success of ‘Man of Steel’ is a wonderful testament to the love and support that both fans and new audiences, worldwide, have for these characters. We are very excited to see what Zack has in store for all of us.”

Diane Nelson, President, DC Entertainment, noted, “Superman and Batman together on the big screen is a dream come true for DC fans everywhere. All of us at DC Entertainment could not be more excited for Zack’s continuing vision for the DC Universe.”

Zack Snyder, who made a surprise appearance at Comic-Con today, breaking the news to audiences there, later said, “I’m so excited to begin working again with Henry Cavill in the world we created, and I can’t wait to expand the DC Universe in this next chapter. Let’s face it, it’s beyond mythological to have Superman and our new Batman facing off, since they are the greatest Super Heroes in the world.”

The new film brings back Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder as producers. This time, Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas are serving as executive producers, along with Benjamin Melniker and Michael E. Uslan.

Thomas offered, “Whilst our ‘Dark Knight’ trilogy is complete, we have every confidence that Zack’s fresh interpretation will take the character in a new and exciting direction. His vision for Superman opened the door to a whole new universe and we can’t wait to see what Zack does with these characters.”

The film is based on Superman characters created by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster, and Batman characters created by Bob Kane, published by DC Entertainment

I'm glad they're doing this instead of Justice League. This an easier story to screw up.

la la la, here's a movie that hasn't even been made yet, la la la, but I know that it's going to be shiit, la la la, even before it is made, la la la...........FFS!

la la la, here's a movie that hasn't even been made yet, la la la, but I know that it's going to be shiit, la la la, even before it is made, la la la...........FFS!

Same writer, same director as the bloated mess that was MoS. Why should I have more faith, and not less?

Do you ever watch anything from the Nolan Bat trilogy other than The Dark Knight? Honestly?

I'll be honest, I watch the first two fairly frequently, the last one not so much. And I think that's just because the last one was a bit underdone writing and production wise - probably needed another years work to iron out the bugs properly. I am still *very* happy that we have a successful Batman trilogy with only one major cast member change. So what's yer point?

Superman killed cities, Kryptonians, and a giant lazer, way too OP to mix with Batman in a live action movie, but that's the same problem DC has always had.

Yes, that certainly is a problem. I think that Watchmen pointed the way to deal with that problem, with the godlike hero being balanced by the more "terrestrial" street level heroes who have to do the investigating and such. They need to play up the "World's Greatest Detective" tag with Batman which tends to go out the window at times.....

How is this going to work? Superman had the same tone as a batman movie...so where is the contrast? I'm in the minority but the last batman movie was pretty lame. Vague plot resolutions, a half formed villian, and the emotional payoff was ruined. Batman was barely in the film. Anyway, they are trying to do an avengers super movie with flash and green lantern. Its going to be a mess of reboots and flops before we get there.

(In Jack Nicholson voice style ) All this negative talks about yet to be released DK/MOS movie, may be your guys prefer joel schumacher's Batman &Robin.

It's not an "either, or." They aren't the only people on the planet who can make a Superman or Batman movie.

So what's yer point?

The Dark Knight makes the trilogy--it's why we talk about it.

(In Jack Nicholson voice style ) All this negative talks about yet to be released DK/MOS movie, may be your guys prefer joel schumacher's Batman &Robin.

Like Gene Shalit would say, that was a rip-roaring fun movie. Anyway, who says this is going to be a "versus" movie? If they stick to DC ritual then these two heroes will have to find common ground, albeit grudginly, at some point; they are charter members of the Justice League, after all...

Ah yes, Batman is going to take down that mass murdering alien with the red cape...

So instead of MoS 2 we get a new Batman and more genocidal Supes... like Gakken85 says, you need contrast to make the two work together. Will the new Batman be campy or something?

All the Batman vs Superman action I'll ever need is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjJibVbUY5A

Doesn't really matter what crap these clowns peddle out to the theaters in '14, '15, or whenever they get around to it; it'll be rather laughable to me, 'cause those silly little HISHE vids will be forever in the back of my mind. "cause I'm Batman!" :p

Edited by reddsun1

As I recall from the audio recording of the panel, they only used that line from TDKR as a teaser since most fans know that line. But as it won't be a versus-movie, Bats and Superman will probably fight once and argue. Synder even mentioned they are not adapting The Dark Knight Returns.

Here's a clip with video from the panel:

Synder and Goyer should ask the HISHE guys to write the humor for the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLimhOT0Avg-Q1zzIFxw0DOcBmDcat4bnK

As I recall from the audio recording of the panel, they only used that line from TDKR as a teaser since most fans know that line. But as it won't be a versus-movie, Bats and Superman will probably fight once and argue. Synder even mentioned they are not adapting The Dark Knight Returns.

Here's a clip with video from the panel:

Synder and Goyer should ask the HISHE guys to write the humor for the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLimhOT0Avg-Q1zzIFxw0DOcBmDcat4bnK

It's not following TDNR, but the essence of the quote is at the core of the story. It's certainly set up as being in some way a versus movie.

I am worried for the film. Goyer is so far the only writer we know of and other than Blade 1and 2 he hasn't written anything decent in years. All his best films were co-written by better people I.e. the Nolan's. Even the story to MoS is Nolan's. so knowing he's the only writer is not a good thing. As I said else where go to IMDB, look at his credits and prove me wrong.

I think that the biggest problem faced by this film is time. Is this still supposed to be "fasttracked" to be released in 2014. If so, that is a BAD idea. They need to take time to write and polish the script and to develop everything else. Otherwise it will show.....