Bandai DX YF-29 Isamu Coloring

Tochiro

My purple glass paint was delivered today so I tried it out when I got home. It's a thick paste when squeezed out of the tube so naturally I had to thin it down. Fortunately, it mixed pretty well with both Tamiya thinner and Future.

I airbrushed it onto the fold quartz pieces and this is how it came out:

post-10222-0-12246500-1389304862_thumb.jpg

It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn close and a whole lot better than the previous attempt as seen on the previous page. I think I'm satisfied with how it came out. I just need to spray it with Future after it dries for that extra glossy sheen.

MacrossJunkie, I admire your dedication, seriously. All that trouble to repaint those tiny fold quartz pieces.

Well worth the effort, though. The purple almost perfectly matches the ones by the wing roots (sorry if that's not the right term for it; I'm no aircraft engineer :D ).

I actually went through the manual for this guy today, and noticed something I haven't noticed before, and going back a few pages of pics it appears many others also didn't notice this little hidden feature on the YF-29 Isamu.

THere are two mini turrets looking pieces on its head (one on each side) that has a hinge and can move outwards. In fighter mode, the two turrets are tugged in and hidden. In battroid mode, they can be swinged out and give the head a more angular shape that in my opinion, much better looking. Attached are crappy cell phone pic

Edit: just realize UN Spacy already covered this in his comparison vid, which I didn't see until now, way to go!

post-12785-0-83456800-1389419749_thumb.jpg

post-12785-0-32732900-1389419759_thumb.jpg

Edited by locidm

Basically the joints where the engine nacelles rotate around are not strong enough to hold the weight of the Super Parts. So on my YF-29 30th Anniversary the wing won't stay into position and rotate downwards by itself. This is even worse when the wings are fully extended.

Someone mentioned that he put some plastic wrap inside the joint to tighten it up but I haven't seen any images of that. Maybe some super glue would work too but I'm to scared of damaging the toy so I just leave it as it is.

Could it be one of the people in your friends list who spread your pics without credit? I'd be suspicious and angry too.

Yes. The contents on my FB couldn't be seen, and only my friends can watch them.

I went to Akiba yesterday. You know, I also took the other photo there. I thought it was a scoop thing, so I upload it only from my iPhone.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=30860&p=1095773

I uploaded 3 photos in Akiba to my page.

TBH, I would like to upload the photo about YF-29 on this thread, but when checking the past posts, there was a word which has nothing to do with the topic; Japanese whaling.

So ridiculous it was, I quit uploading it, but I found it on this thread...

Here's the original one. 1.9 MB and 3264x2448 pixel.

post-14942-0-16216300-1389469059_thumb.jpg

^ Thank you for coming back to post the original/higher resolution picture.

IMHO this is actually the first time I've seen of any 29 Super Parts that I've actually liked and made me want to own a set. I think it's the color scheme that appeals to me (I guess).

-b.

Someone mentioned that he put some plastic wrap inside the joint to tighten it up but I haven't seen any images of that. Maybe some super glue would work too but I'm to scared of damaging the toy so I just leave it as it is.

Tightening the wing rotation point is very easily done with clear tape, and easily removed if you wanted to.

Thanks for the tips! If and when I get a hold of those super parts, I might reinforce those joints to keep them from loosening due to the added weight.

Antibiotictab, you shouldn't stop uploading your pics every time that Bigmouth strikes again.

I will keep it in my mind, thanks.

http://youtu.be/UTp9sR2eML8

By the way, hello from Akiba again. I shot its move about 5 or 10 minutes ago.

P.S. re-uploaded.

Edited by antibiotictab

Quick teaser pic of my progress. Still need to do the gun and also make some finishing touches on the weathering.

Sorry about the craptastic pic. I had put away my photography setup during the holidays, so I need to take all that back out and set it up again.

I just set it on the floor with the bluish LED lighting from the case to illuminate it. I had to heavily compensate for the color of the lighting and a lot of details were washed out as well.

I'll do my usual proper pics soon once I'm done with this.

DSC_5533.jpg

Thanks guys. It was definitely more effort than usual having to take it apart and redo the canopy and fold quartz, but it was worth the effort as I'm definitely much more satisfied with how it looks now compared to the heavy blue tinting they used.

GU-11, actually the weathering didn't do double duty as panel lining. I penciled in the panel lines prior to weathering. I also lightly dusted some white powder from the tamiya weathering kit into the black painted areas so that the panel lines there would be more visible without being too obvious about it. The weathering itself was airbrushed on using very thinned out smoke colored clear paint.

How long is a reasonable shipping time from Japan to East Coast USA via SAL? My YF-29 was shipped from Nippon-Yasan on the 26th and marked as "Dispatch from outward office of exchange" on 12/27. That was over two weeks ago and the tracking page doesn't show any other updates.

How long is a reasonable shipping time from Japan to East Coast USA via SAL? My YF-29 was shipped from Nippon-Yasan on the 26th and marked as "Dispatch from outward office of exchange" on 12/27. That was over two weeks ago and the tracking page doesn't show any other updates.

That looks like what Japan Post's tracking would say. Have you tried putting the tracking number in the USPS website? I used SAL as well which was shipped on 12-24 and I just received mine on 1-9.

That looks like what Japan Post's tracking would say. Have you tried putting the tracking number in the USPS website? I used SAL as well which was shipped on 12-24 and I just received mine on 1-9.

Just about the same for me. N-Y's shipping confirmation email was sent out on 12-24 and I received my Isamu 29 on 1-10. Gotta give'em props; they did an excellent packaging job... they've definitely been improving. Also happy to report that my copy seems to be flawless.