Bandai DX YF-29 Isamu Coloring

Tochiro

After much careful prying and coaxing, I finally got the gunpod halves to stay open, but this is as far as they'll go without making me paranoid. I guess it works well enough :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n35cy1s0qq7anp0/Screen%20Shot%202014-01-06%20at%2012.59.40%20PM.png

And thanks as well for the transformation video. It's exactly what I needed as well.

I've disassembled mine to clean out the grease from the hinges and while I was at it, stripped the paint off the fold crystals and the canopy as well because it just looked too saturated for my tastes. I repainted the silver backing on the back side of the fold crystal piece and put a coat of clear purple on the front. I then did what I thought they should have done with the canopy and painted the blue on the inside instead of the outside. I gave it a much lighter blue tinting. I just have to re-paint the black canopy frame now.

post-10222-0-30822600-1389043638_thumb.jpg

I've disassembled mine to clean out the grease from the hinges and while I was at it, stripped the paint off the fold crystals and the canopy as well because it just looked too saturated for my tastes. I repainted the silver backing on the back side of the fold crystal piece and put a coat of clear purple on the front. I then did what I thought they should have done with the canopy and painted the blue on the inside instead of the outside. I gave it a much lighter blue tinting. I just have to re-paint the black canopy frame now.

attachicon.gifDSC_5505.jpg

That does look a lot better. How did you apply the clear blue on the canopy? Paintbrush, airbrush, or dipped in tinted FFP?

Edited by GU-11

That does look a lot better. How did you apply the clear blue on the canopy? Paintbrush, airbrush, or dipped in tinted FFP?

I thinned the clear blue with some future and then sprayed light coats on the inside of the canopy with an airbrush.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Just got my second piece of YF-29 Isamu. Inspected it and in the box it goes. Probably will not be getting any more frontier based Valks after this (with the exception of, if there is one,a reissue VF-25S).

Other than the YF-30 Chronos from Macross 30, I am literally spent. Time to focus on other Macross timeline Valks. Will be eyeballing Valks from SDF Macross - elientseeker comes to mind and VT-1.

Picked up my pair at the post office this afternoon, only opened one so far, and it's looking good. :)

Shoulder panels and arms were a little misaligned out of the box, but surprisingly the legs were both tabbed into the wings. Still going to run through at least one gerwalk cycle to get things lined up.

Also, really pleased to see how much of this one looks molded in color. The simpler paint scheme helps a ton, but it looks like they just bypassed the painting, and molded more pieces in the color they should be. Where the 30th version had the entire rear backplate molded in silver, and then had white and black painted over it, this one is all in the base tan color, with the silver painted underneath (maybe someone finally realized that no one will care if the underside of the backplate gets the paint scratched off).

Canopy does look a bit dark, so I might strip it at some point, but I'm fine leaving this one minty for now.

Ohh, and yeah.. they finally matched the colors between the different parts of the inner knee. :rolleyes:

Edited by Chronocidal

I don't suppose anyone knows of a good clear purple paint? Acrylic preferred. I'm not happy with the results I'm getting from mixing Tamiya's clear red and clear blue and they don't have a clear purple. I've spent several hours mixing and trying to get the right purple, but it just doesn't mix well and the shade never comes anywhere near what I want it to be. I want a bright amethyst colour and no ratio of blue and red clear gets me anywhere near that. If I could find a decent purple, it would be simple enough to change what I have right now. I considered purple food colouring, but I have doubts on the longevity of food dye. I figure it would break down and fade relatively quickly.

I'm pretty happy with the canopy though. It's pretty much the same blue they used, only much lighter in saturation and looks a lot less cartoony now.

Masked off the glass portions and spray painted the canopy frame black.

post-10222-0-63882000-1389070701_thumb.jpg

I just need to do the weathering next and find a decent replacement purple.

post-10222-0-45042400-1389070702_thumb.jpgpost-10222-0-99830700-1389070702_thumb.jpg

I was going to suggest Games Workshop Citadel Purple Ink, but I haven't been keeping up with GW products in the past five years and it seems like they don't carry inks anymore.

Thanks for the idea anyway. I ended up finding Martha Stewart transparent glass paint in orchid purple, so I ordered a bottle and am going to try that out. It's water based so hopefully it will mix with Future. Pretty expensive for a single bottle though. You'd think she was bottling unicorn piss or something.

I thinned the clear blue with some future and then sprayed light coats on the inside of the canopy with an airbrush.

I don't suppose anyone knows of a good clear purple paint? Acrylic preferred. I'm not happy with the results I'm getting from mixing Tamiya's clear red and clear blue and they don't have a clear purple. I've spent several hours mixing and trying to get the right purple, but it just doesn't mix well and the shade never comes anywhere near what I want it to be. I want a bright amethyst colour and no ratio of blue and red clear gets me anywhere near that. If I could find a decent purple, it would be simple enough to change what I have right now. I considered purple food colouring, but I have doubts on the longevity of food dye. I figure it would break down and fade relatively quickly.

I'm pretty happy with the canopy though. It's pretty much the same blue they used, only much lighter in saturation and looks a lot less cartoony now.

Masked off the glass portions and spray painted the canopy frame black.

attachicon.gifDSC_5508.jpg

I just need to do the weathering next and find a decent replacement purple.

attachicon.gifDSC_5510.jpgattachicon.gifDSC_5511.jpg

That looks awesome! Looks much more realistic than the thick blue out of the box.

Wish I had the guts to do that with a brand new Valk.

In the end, I spent probably $50 on various paints and inks trying to make a good clear purple for my 1/72 Alto kit. I don't even remember what the final solution was, but I still wasn't happy with it. (might have been purple "candy" paint, thinned a lot and sprayed lightly) Tried everything from food coloring to "stained glass" stains...

As you've found out---mixing clear red and blue doesn't make clear purple (but brown instead), and many clear "things" that are purple don't mix with Future or thin very well...

(sorry to be negative, but man did I waste a lot of time/money/effort trying to make a nice-looking clear purple canopy)

In the end, I spent probably $50 on various paints and inks trying to make a good clear purple for my 1/72 Alto kit. I don't even remember what the final solution was, but I still wasn't happy with it. (might have been purple "candy" paint, thinned a lot and sprayed lightly) Tried everything from food coloring to "stained glass" stains...

As you've found out---mixing clear red and blue doesn't make clear purple (but brown instead), and many clear "things" that are purple don't mix with Future or thin very well...

(sorry to be negative, but man did I waste a lot of time/money/effort trying to make a nice-looking clear purple canopy)

Well, that doesn't sound very encouraging, but I'm hoping I'll have some luck with this "transparent glass paint." I got it through Amazon Prime so it should arrive in a couple of days. And yeah, seems counter-intuitive that red and blue makes a not quite purple. I'm betting the yellow clear I have mixed with blue would also yield a more brownish pigment rather than green (not that I need to).

Hi MacrossJunkie,

How did you remove the original paint on the canopy?

I used rubbing alcohol and a paper towel. The paint came right off in a matter of seconds with very little actual rubbing. You'll end up with a completely clear piece of plastic that you're free to paint however you like.

Thanks for the idea anyway. I ended up finding Martha Stewart transparent glass paint in orchid purple, so I ordered a bottle and am going to try that out. It's water based so hopefully it will mix with Future. Pretty expensive for a single bottle though. You'd think she was bottling unicorn piss or something.

Have you tried the various Model Master purple pearls? There's Purple Pearl and Grape Pearl, they both have a metallic finish, and are semi-translucent. They are what I use when I need clear purple

Have you tried the various Model Master purple pearls? There's Purple Pearl and Grape Pearl, they both have a metallic finish, and are semi-translucent. They are what I use when I need clear purple

I have not, but I'll look into it if the transparent glass paint doesn't work out. Thanks!

received mine yesterday. Looks way better than the original colouring.

Not so certain I will get the FP though. Harpoons look funny. Just reminds me of space whales from macross 7 ova. lol

So what are those harpoon things anyway?

I believe the "harpoons" are Fold Wave projectors.

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/YF-29_Durandal

See under Avionics and Optional Armament.

Not really a fan of those harpoon things fold wave projectors.

But given that they're just 35-50 USD, I might pick up a set for completion's sake. Really depends on availability and whether I've got better stuff to buy when it's released.

Yes, if you mix 50% red with 50% blue you get brown but if you mix 20% red with 80% blue you might get purple.

Edited by YF-29 Durandal

I believe the "harpoons" are Fold Wave projectors.

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/YF-29_Durandal

See under Avionics and Optional Armament.

Thanks I forgot about looking up this stuff on macross compendium. But "Harpoon things" should be the official nickname. Everyone knows what happens when space whales get possessed by demons. They become giant monsters that want to ram into you and swallow you to obtain your energy. Harpoon things is the way to fight against them. Also the japanese like whaling. Kawamori is sending us a message not to hurt the innocent whales. But what if the whales were cloned by mad scientists and then those clone bodies became possessed by demons thirsty to inhabit a physical body? The humans would need to make monster-hunting valks. That's what I think when i see harpoons on the valk. lol Space lobster and space whale are very tasty too. *licks lips like ozuma*

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Yes, if you mix 50% red with 50% blue you get brown but if you mix 20% red with 80% blue you might get purple.

There really is no suitable ratio of tamiya's clear blue to red to get a decent purple. Trust me, I've tried all sorts of ratios and nothing was acceptable. What I came up with after hours of experimentation was the closest I could get to a purple and I tried to convince myself it was good enough, but I couldn't. I should get my purple paint tomorrow so I'll see if that works well enough or not.

Thanks I forgot about looking up this stuff on macross compendium. But "Harpoon things" should be the official nickname. Everyone knows what happens when space whales get possessed by demons. They become giant monsters that want to ram into you and swallow you to obtain your energy. Harpoon things is the way to fight against them. Also the japanese like whaling. Kawamori is sending us a message not to hurt the innocent whales. But what if the whales were cloned by mad scientists and then those clone bodies became possessed by demons thirsty to inhabit a physical body? The humans would need to make monster-hunting valks. That's what I think when i see harpoons on the valk. lol Space lobster and space whale are very tasty too. *licks lips like ozuma*

Why bother with harpoons when you can get right in their face and annoy them with singing until they leave? :p

Maybe we can call them "Fold Wave Harpoony Thingies For People Who Can't Kill Vajra Good And Who Wanna Kill Other Stuff Good Too."

There really is no suitable ratio of tamiya's clear blue to red to get a decent purple. Trust me, I've tried all sorts of ratios and nothing was acceptable. What I came up with after hours of experimentation was the closest I could get to a purple and I tried to convince myself it was good enough, but I couldn't. I should get my purple paint tomorrow so I'll see if that works well enough or not.

Why bother with harpoons when you can get right in their face and annoy them with singing until they leave? :p

Maybe we can call them "Fold Wave Harpoony Thingies For People Who Can't Kill Vajra Good And Who Wanna Kill Other Stuff Good Too."

Zoolander-2-ben-stiller.jpg