Max the traitor?

ewilen

Well, I haven't seen M7. I was vaguely aware that Exedor/Exedol is back to being a giant in M7, but I assumed that was because he had himself remacronized for some reason. Does he also have his brains crowding out of his head? In any case, the visual representations of Exedor and Minmay are one thing; following the storyline of DYRL is quite another. In this case, from what you're saying, it appears that in M7, the story is that Max got macronized, married Millia in that state, and then the two of them later got micronized. Really?

NO! NO! Don't add to the confusion! :) Macross7 is NOT based on DYRL's chain of events. DYRL is a movie within the Macross universe where Max and Milia play themselves. No I'm not joking.

Macross7's storyline is a direct sequel to the Macross TV series. Macross7's Max and Milia were married as Miclones while flying a valkyrie around as portrayed in the TV series. Macross7 only borrows things VISUALLY from DYRL, one of them being Exedol's appearance.

Within the story, wouldn't DYRL's Exedol just be styled after the CURRENT appearance of the real-life one, as opposed to how he looked then?

Even in the real world, "historical" movies often change things drastically to appeal to the masses that already "know" how something happened.

Or just to spite historians, I think.

Anyways, it would be logical to assume that Exedol in DYRL was styled after his appearance at the time of the movie so as to avoid confusing audience members who had seen recent pictures of him.

Perhaps. Except the movie came out in 2032 I believe, which is long before Macross7's events. I guess he could have had that appearance in 2032. I'd have to look into it to see when he remacronized himself.

I don't think the story goes like this:

Exedol looked normal and had hair in 2010-12, but then his hair fell out, skin turned green, eyes turned blue, and his skull expanded from the pressure of his throbbing brain in the next 20 years. :lol:

Perhaps. Except the movie came out in 2032 I believe, which is long before Macross7's events. I guess he could have had that appearance in 2032. I'd have to look into it to see when he remacronized himself.

I don't think the story goes like this:

Exedol looked normal and had hair in 2010-12, but then his hair fell out, skin turned green, eyes turned blue, and his skull expanded from the pressure of his throbbing brain in the next 20 years. :lol:

Maybe he ate something he was REALLY allergic to?

I've actually yet to see any cannon sources confirm that 'DYRL?' was we know it is the movie of the same name that appears in the Macross universe.

What I have seen is references to Kawamori quotes in which he stated that our 'DYRL?' and the original series are both legitimate tellings of the original story, but the real story, upon which everything else that follows is based on, is somewhere inbetween.

There was a lengthy discussion on that very topic on the old boards. I briefly tried searching for it but came up empty handed.

The 'DYRL?' scenes shown in M7 were also under discussion as to whether the Macross Universe got an extended version of the movie, or an alternate version entirely. Of course, those same scenes could just be from the 'inbetween' version of the Macross story us fans have never seen. I think that's the most likely explanation.

I see it basically how Kawamori said. For the most part, all the derivatives are based on the SDF Macross story with the 'DYRL?' visuals. I think the 'inbetween' version of Space War I also borrowed bits of story and developement from each of the two respective series. I think if Kawamori went back and did his definative version of Space War I it would involve a lot of the story from both, such as the Protoculture city in the ocean, Max being in charge of Skull Squadron for a time with his own VF-1S, Hikaru taking over when Max dissapeared aboard Millia's ship, etcetera.

As the the M7 referred 'DYRL?', I doubt Max and Millia played themselves in the movie. If it didn't come out until 2032 I believe that's also after when the Megaroad dissapeared with Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay.

You guys are killing yourselves over design continunity and story continutiy when Kawamori himself has said, he doesn't care about design continuity and now doesn't even really care much to follow even the story continuity.

Therefore, the SDF-Macross STORY is canon. The designs that are existent in all future Macross works will be the best of what exists, IE, Exodol looks his sexy DYRL self, and Millia still has her TV VF-1J.

Radd, that was my thread. Hehe. Go figure, I just contradicted myself.

I firmly DO believe that DYRL 1984 and DYRL 2032 are two different movies, just very similar. I was disagreed with by nearly everybody, so I've conformed to just calling it "a movie within the timeline" so there isn't too much confusion whenever the topic comes up. I have no evidence to back it up other than there are extra scenes in the 2032 version.

I think if Kawamori went back and did his definative version of Space War I it would involve a lot of the story from both, such as the Protoculture city in the ocean, Max being in charge of Skull Squadron for a time with his own VF-1S, Hikaru taking over when Max dissapeared aboard Millia's ship, etcetera.

Why would he do all that?

More to the point (since having laid the original topic to rest we're now just chewing the fat) my personal preference would be to keep M&M's story the same as in the series. I like Max the humble but talented rookie, I want to see Hikaru increasingly burdened by the responsibilities of command (e.g., having to notify Kakazaki's family about his death), and I really enjoy the idea of Max and Millia meeting each other because they naturally gravitate toward the video arcade during their free time. Also, while acknowledging the cut M&M marriage scene in DYRL, I still find the idea of Max joining the Meltrandi implausible, not to mention the difficulties of conducting a marriage ceremony in the Meltrandi environment.

Basically, I'm on the side of those who see (or prefer to see) DYRL as an exercise in updating the visuals and the portrayal of technology (like always having FAST packs while in space), while riffing on all the details of the original story. Keeping track of how everything gets changed around is a big part of the fun, but there's little in the DYRL plot that I prefer over SDF Macross.