New Macross F BD Digital Remaster Boxset - TV series

Tochiro

Amazon does not list English subs at this point.

Movies are not included.

I THINK the clean OP/ED were on the original BDs but am at work atm so I can't check.

Am personally on the fence about this since I bought the original releases (eventually in two boxes). If I can score a deal were I can get it for under 20,000yen I might consider it.

I'm on board because I don't own Frontier on any media yet. What's the difference between this and the first version anyway? B))

Technically there has never been an actual "box set", they were individual releases and some came with boxes to collect the volumes in.

The main difference, other than the added extras, I would say is that this is actually a new, cleaner transfer. The gradations are smoother, for example (according to the promotional video).

I THINK the clean OP/ED were on the original BDs but am at work atm so I can't check.

I remember Boinger saying that only the Macross Ultimate Frontier bonus UMD ever had them, so I believe this is a first for HD.

Cool! Now I won't feel like I'm missing anything. Gonna preorder the hell outta this.

Now where's my Macross II and I'll finish owning all Macross series on bluray. I'm livin' the dream! B))

Edited by xrentonx

I put in my pre-order. Merry Christmas!

That clean op & ed would be a first for a bluray extra and

there's even more extras.

Subtitles would be great as long it is not the same fellow who did

the subtitles for the Macross Plus movie bluray.

I hope BV and Big West have started to see tge profit potential of including subs. Unicorn, 2199, AGE, SEED, etc havs all done decent export for them. Plus finally broke the trend on un-subbed Macross releases, so we"ll see.

Blatant double-dip. A remaster of a show that was produced and broadcast in HD? Seriously?

You spend your money on this you deserve to have it taken from you.

For once, I have to agree with him on this one.

I haven't bought any of the DVDs or Blu-Rays, but I will be looking this set up when I graduate and get a job.

Blatant double-dip. A remaster of a show that was produced and broadcast in HD? Seriously?

It's not a double dip for us guys who don't have this at all! It probably works out less than me buying all the individual releases now...AND I get some extras. It's a win for me ;)

You speak as if this has never happened before. Shows released in volumes eventually get released in a box set, we all know this. And Frontier is already over half a decade old.

As for the remaster aspect, obviously lighter fans aren't going to care, but the super anal hardcore fans expect the utmost quality and the improved blending in this release will probably please some of those ultra-geeks. It's not just a case of "it's HD already so what's the point?" The improvements in encoding parameters etc. make enough differences even if they share the "HD" label.

Just as an aside, the show was broadcast in HD, but I remember having a pamphlet including an interview with Kawamori explaining what Bluray was and how the BD releases would look better than the broadcast versions, even at the same resolution. HD just means High Definition, it tells us nothing of how good it actually looks until we see the transfer.

Anyway, I will not be getting this because it has absolutely nothing for me at all, but I'm not going to be hating on it just because it exists. Double-dip items are annoying when you didn't know they were coming and the company "tricks" you, but who honestly never expected a Frontier box set? Honestly, if anything I'm surprised it's taken this long.

I hope BV and Big West have started to see tge profit potential of including subs. Unicorn, 2199, AGE, SEED, etc havs all done decent export for them. Plus finally broke the trend on un-subbed Macross releases, so we"ll see.

I didn't know AGE and 2199 had subs, but for Macross Plus, Manga Entertainment already had subs for their movie version, so I'm guessing(and I may be wrong so if anyone knows for sure, feel free to correct me) that we got subs on the blu-ray movie release because they were just reused subs from the VHS/DVD releases.

I have my doubts for the Macross F box set blu-rays to have subs BUT I will buy them if they include them.

I didn't know AGE and 2199 had subs, but for Macross Plus, Manga Entertainment already had subs for their movie version, so I'm guessing(and I may be wrong so if anyone knows for sure, feel free to correct me) that we got subs on the blu-ray movie release because they were just reused subs from the VHS/DVD releases.

I have my doubts for the Macross F box set blu-rays to have subs BUT I will buy them if they include them.

Bandai actually puts English subs on a lot of its newer shows. Since Frontier didnt originally have subs though, I doubt that this release will be any different. For the record, the subs on the Macross Plus Movie Edition blu-ray ARE new ones and not reused.

The original release was 9 discs, and thks new one will be 5 disc's and remastered a bit. It's this remastering that raises the potential for subs. Besides, show's like Oreimo and Haruhi have already set the precedent for later box releases having subs ghat initial releases didn't.