There were a lot of good and bad points to the film which is probably the best way to break it down.

GOOD:

* The aliens - These new CG versions have gone from looking like puppets in the original to looking fairly fearsome in the sequel. An area where new technology definitely improved things.

* The dogfights - Still not great but a lot better than the original. The new designs for the alien ships looked a lot more streamlined but the Earth fighters were not so good.

* Brent Spiner - Going from a minor role in the original to a pretty major role in the sequel he gave it his best. A good effort.

* Effects in general - looked awesome. Some really good stuff.

* Design work in the film - once again, a lot better than the original but with the really fast cuts there is little chance to enjoy how nice a lot of elements in this film look.

* The last half hour - The best part of the film. Makes up for the weaker first 3/4 of the film.

BAD:

* Script - No way did it take 20 years to write this script. Looked like it had been tossed off in about 2 weeks before the film started production. Could have been better.

* Editing - Some really bad cuts that made little sense. There was also a lot of cutting away from.......

* Violence - A lot of the violence looked really toned down in this. Would have been nice to see Sela Wards president actually getting blown away rather than cutting away from it. The massacre in the war room could have been a great scene.

* Pacing - Character development is important but a lot of it in this film (especially Angelbaby's character stuff) was really pointless and went nowhere. Slowed down the pacing of the film.

* Too much like a rehash of the first - Back in the 90's there must have been some sort of preliminary work carried out on a sequel because I remember mention of "The next one taking the fight back to the aliens homeworld" and I think that would have been a more interesting film to see. They certainly made it clear that if they get a sequel then that is the direction they will go, at least.

Maybe there was a sample of that life giving Khan's blood from Into Darkness aboard the captured alien fighter...

Edited by myk

What surprises me is the rather weak marketing of this film compared to the first. Back in 1996, FOX went all out into getting people to see ID4 - toys, video games, not to mention one of the first films to have its own website. Because of this, ID4 easily shattered box office records with US$50.2 million on opening weekend and a total earning of US$817 million. Resurgence hardly got much support aside from a few viral videos - no toys, no apps, and poor media-wide coverage. As a result, it's floundering at the box office, earning only US$41 million on opening weekend and getting a black eye by Finding Dory (and The Secret Life of Pets in the UK and Now You See Me 2 in China). Hell, we're already on its second weekend, and it still hasn't broken even on its US$165 million (plus marketing costs) budget. In fact, the film's already been pulled out of most theaters in my town to make room for The Legend of Tarzan.

Maybe it broke sales records on IMAX markets and it will continue to premiere on other countries, but Independence Day: Resurgence is bleeding cash, and FOX is largely to blame for the weak marketing.

I was listening to the Heidi and Frank show yesterday morning and they had the Schmoes on talking about the fact that they couldn't do a review until opening day because it wasn't screened for critics, which is usually a sign that the studio knows they dropped a turd. They really didn't like that movie, then they went on about how no one knows what BFG stands for. Lots of jokes about the F and even an old Doom referance.

Call me silly, but you'd think a movie called "Independence Day" would premiere. . . oh, I don't know . . . ON THE WEEKEND OF JULY 4TH (here in the United States)!!

Just sayin'.

Caught me by surprise, when my bro-in-law mentioned it came out last weekend instead.

Stupid marketers.

oh yeah we saw the movie last night.. not that the first movie was all that great but the this new movie definitely isn't worthy of being its sequel. Not impressed at all to be honest.. -_-

Unless you really want to see it on the big screen then yes by all means go see it otherwise just wait for dvd / blu-ray or just download it from the torrents.. <_<

well there was one positive from going to see this movie was the Thai food dinner we had afterwards! It was delicious! :p:D