Yamato Stickers

GobotFool

Don't get me wrong, I love the actual toys yamato makes, but the sticker sheets, the stickers are waaaaay to thick. Has anyone made water slides or dry transfer sheets?

Yeah. Toy stickers (not just Yamato mind you... i mean all the way back to my GI Joe days) have always been kind of bleah. Nowadays I just leave my toys unstickered. After buying the toy itself, I'm not rich enough to buy the Takatoy's decals and other custom sets. I believe you can find sets of the custom decals/stickers at tmpanime.com for about $10 a set. I have never tried them myself, but people speak very highly of them, and they look absolutely stunning.

There is DEFINENTLY too much extra flash around the edges of their stickers. Sure they're precut (which is good and all) but how are we supposed to have an accurate looking VF-1. If we can't even place the BEWARE OF BLAST sticker properly. Sigh. :D

GI Joe decals were terrible, but awesome in comparison to Yamato's...I mean the toys no offense (NO OFFENSE at all) but the decal sheets leave much to be desired...aftermarket is the way to go in this case...I display my Valks "Naked" before I will use included decals...

*edit - spelling*

Edited by Manji

On the whole, I think they're fine for their purpose: decorating a toy. For those here using them as "posable models" they are admittedly insufficient.

There are a few exceptions where they're subpar for the toy, though. Example from the low-viz: interior control stickers. Border trim for the controls stickers are waaaaay too thick for them to fit on the provided surfaces. Personally, I think this could have been one thing the Chinese labor could have done, sticker wise. Another minor nitpcik I have is that the USS Asuka (and asorted others) are too dim to be seen on the low-viz (they should be a brighter shade).

The stickers that go on the nose sensor / hip thingies are useless given the design of the 1/48, too. :)

Yeah, Yamato's stickers leave a lot to be desired. But you can't still get them to work, just takes a little elbow grease. First, put on some surgical gloves and cut off the excess borders. Second, heat them over a heater for a couple of seconds (not too close or else they'll shrivel). That's what I did to my 1/60 Focker, and after a year of play, none of the stickers show any signs of coming loose.

yeah,i'm not too crazy about the stickers that came w/ my low-viz either.this is my fisrt 1/48 & after seeing the stickers takatoys makes i may get a set.particularly for the more-detailed cockpit stickers. B)

TakaToys does some incredible stickers. I have four sets for the 1/48 valks. The U.N. SPACY on the legs looks great. And, with a toothpick, the stickers are so thin that you can even press them into the panel lines. I promised a review of them a few months ago. But I lost my motivation when I started selling a bunch of stuff on Ebay (non-Macross). And then the digital camera I had borrowed was given back. But I hope to take some pictures some time this week and give a more detailed overview of them.

They are great. Downright incredible compared to Yamato stickers. Plus, you get to keep the Yamato stickers "mint" and in the box.

So, anyways, you can buy them at Twin Moons Anime or Valkyrie Exchange (currently sold out).

I believe this is the Takatoys homepage.

And, finally, here is a 1/48 Roy VF-1S that has been panel-lined, and has Takatoy's stickers applied. Very nice!

Okay. I'm linked out now. :)

I think I'm going to go apply some stickers. :p

Edited by Hurin

Agreed, Yamato decals truly suck. I'm pretty much back what everyone else says about Takatoys decals, I've got them on all my 1/48s and they look great. I've also bought excellent decals from Anasazi37 for my 1/60 scale valks - they definitely make my M&M and 1D look better. :D

• 4 weeks later...

The stickers that come packaged with the 1/48 are pretty terrible. Honestly, though, I really liked the ones that came packaged with the Mac Plus toys. Sure, they were a bit too shiny, but they cut cleanly, and the adhesive seems superior. You'd think, given the cost of the toys and the availability of product with great decals elsewhere in Japan, Yamato would have invested a tad more time in their sticker design.

Like most others, I went with the Takatoys stickers, excellent quality. They look good even with my crappy cutting job.

Find a copy of the Hasagawa sticker placement sheet when going for the FAST packs stickers, though. Takatoy's stickers seem to be the Hasagawa decals in sticker form, and Yamato's stickers do not match up at all for the armour.

I used the Yamato stickers and the difference is appalling, but now that I have the sticker placement for the Hasagawa decals, I plan to scrawp off the Yamato stickers and apply the Takatoys stickers. It's just too bad that the Takatoys skull emblems are too small to fit where they should.

I really don't like the Yamato stickers either. I haven't bothered to get any other stickers (I prefer to leave my Valks mint). Although I'd probably be tempted to use them if they were the type Bandai uses for the MGs (those rub-ons). I really like those, although you only get one chance to put them on (although they do look good and are incredibly easy to get on)

Just heard about this Takatoys' stickers thing....got a couple of questions here:

So even the Macross emblem (the one placed on the fuselage) has to be cut out by scissors, they don't just peel off like the yamato stickers?

As other members mentioned, the Takatoys' stickers are very thin. So when you peel them out of the sheet (after cutting), are they easily damaged when not peeling off cautiously?

Edited by wasabi-elephant

Every one of the Takatoys stickers much be cut off the sheet. However, if you just scissors, cutting a circle is easy. Cut out the sticker but leave plenty of border. Then, cut the circle out. . . but turning the paper, not the scissors.

Finally, they are not so thin that they tear easily. So don't worry. . . you don't need to be that careful while applying.

H

Edited by Hurin

Like most others, I went with the Takatoys stickers, excellent quality. They look good even with my crappy cutting job.

Find a copy of the Hasagawa sticker placement sheet when going for the FAST packs stickers, though. Takatoy's stickers seem to be the Hasagawa decals in sticker form, and Yamato's stickers do not match up at all for the armour.

I used the Yamato stickers and the difference is appalling, but now that I have the sticker placement for the Hasagawa decals, I plan to scrawp off the Yamato stickers and apply the Takatoys stickers. It's just too bad that the Takatoys skull emblems are too small to fit where they should.

Those armor stickers on the original 1/48 sheet were his best guesses and were designed prior to the release of the FAST Packs themselves.

There is now a seperate sheet of FAST Pack armor listed on the Takatoys website. It promises a perfect fit for the skull symbols as well as stickers for the missiles.

Truly? Excellent! I'll hold off on applying the stickers I have, then. But will these new FAST pack stickers cost 10 more bucks? Also, another thing I disliked about the Takatoys FAST pack stickers was that the skull emblem and the little coloured arrows had white outlines around them that were nearly impossible to trim off. I hope that gets fixed.

Wowzers :o Takatoys' sticker sheet for the low vis looks excellent - Finally different squadron emblems.

And his 1/48 armor sets are lookin' good as well. I wonder when they'll be ready to purchase?