Arcadia YF-19 coming in 2014

SCOOPUDA!

i saw your question. he just answered it's matte. i guess you went off course again. jk ;)

Actually, I asked that before all of the pictures went up with the glossy prototypes. Or, before I saw them anyway. I had forgot I asked the question directly on twitter to be honest.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Mr. K shares he is speaking with "God" (god of Macross) Director Kawamori

wonder what miracles are going to occur...

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I'm guessing consulting Kawamori for their next release, proportions, transformations etc. considering they have abt 3 mths before showing off the next release in February.

Pretty sure since he's there for that, they'll just ask along regarding the YF-19's colour.

For those of you who didn't want anime accuracy I suppose... And for those who lack modeling skills and want a toy to fill their modeling niche. Fortunately, I'm flexible, matte is fine.

Also who hate fingerprints and ugly and the bitch it is to decal something shiny...

I would have actually preferred gloss.

Graham

I like the glossy finish on my Frontier Valkyries so I wouldn't mind a glossy YF-19. On the other hand my OCD is telling me the all my Arcadia Valkyries should have the same finish. So through some magic the upcoming VF-1s need to be cast in a glossy finish.

Then again I look at the powder blue goddess that is the Blue Gazer and I want that finish on the new YF-19...

Kinda complicated... :p

For those of you who didn't want anime accuracy I suppose... And for those who lack modeling skills and want a toy to fill their modeling niche. Fortunately, I'm flexible, matte is fine.

wait how is matte less anime accurate? if we wanted super anime accurate all the valks should be cell shaded. :-P personally i love he finish matte finish of yamato stuff (well everything since the v2 vf-1). the glossy frontier valks from bandai try to evoke a very toyetic (yes i made that up) feel but its a fail because you can't exactly handle it like a chunky monkey...instead if becomes a tranformable poseable display piece that looks like it wants to be a toy. i agree it has its own appeal being more toyetic....but i dunno i prefer most valks in a matte or at most semi-gloss finish. plus, with a matte finish you can always add a gloss clear coat if you want. with a glossy frontier valk it'd be harder to remove the sheen i'd argue.

Hmm, I kind of take offense to that. There's only one shot where we see his reflection in the YF-19 - I don't know if that accounts for the glossy bird overall. I am no expert, but I don't consider myself lacking in the modeling skills department - but I do lack the time to build models nowadays. Now if the glossiness were to be done properly like a show bird, I wouldn't mind it so much, but that doesn't mean all the tampo stuff being matte (it should be sealed under a glossy coat to blend in) and all these tiny scratches and swirls from the manufacturing process should be buffed out.

I do like the word "toyetic". It was discussed earlier in this thread a while ago that Isamu's reflection can be seen on the YF-19 so that's the answer to the 'more anime accurate' bit. Otherwise, part of why I collect toys is out of sentimentality for my youth, so I appreciate the glossy look. I appreciate all the strides to look ultra realistic but the matte look always makes me think of models and since I didn't make models in my youth there's less of a sentimental connection there. I realize though that most collectors are looking for something that agrees more to their adult sensibilities and perhaps a gloss finish doesn't make them feel sentimental, it instead makes them feel like they're spending a lot of money on a toy.

WM Cheng, you don't consider yourself an expert? I consider you an expert. I'm pretty sure you can build a very sweet looking YF-19 model if you haven't done so already.

Edited by jenius

I see where you're coming from now, there's nothing like nostalgia. I guess I come from a modeling background, so I'm still partial to the matte finish as it conveys a sense of scale better. (maybe its because I don't have time for models anymore, so it does fill that niche as you had said) Also, its so much more difficult to "touch" (weather) up the renewals due to their glossy finish (which isn't done well, it highlights all the swirls, scratches and imperfections). You really should see how much better it looks in person with a semi-gloss clear coat over the renewals - it smoothes everything out.

I did build a pretty good looking YF-19 a while ago - 11yrs (before kids).

http://www.macrossworld.com/cgi-bin/mwfarchive/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=8;t=9483

I am no expert, but I don't consider myself lacking in the modeling skills department - but I do lack the time to build models nowadays.

I did build a pretty good looking YF-19 a while ago - 11yrs (before kids).

http://www.macrossworld.com/cgi-bin/mwfarchive/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=8;t=9483

Pssst, you are an expert, and that YF-19 you built looks amazing!

Guest davidwhangchoi

Next: Mr. K claims he is not that good: asian false(true) humility :D wmcheng you're a pro!

just a note for those who live in japan or have access to future Arcadia customer support:

Mr. K : after replying to mommar that it's matte,

some guy follows up saying he's going to decal, spray it and dust (weather it) matte

and Mr. K says be careful to the contacts parts when transforming/customizing the yf-19.

as customer service will become impossible for when product is altered.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Thanks for all the kudos (sorry to derail the topic) - but I'm always making mistakes (totally screwed up my Cosmo Zero beyond repair), its a learning process each and every time I build a new model. Safe to say, I can't make a living off of it. But thanks for the encouragement.

I like the glossy finish on my Frontier Valkyries so I wouldn't mind a glossy YF-19. On the other hand my OCD is telling me the all my Arcadia Valkyries should have the same finish. So through some magic the upcoming VF-1s need to be cast in a glossy finish.

Then again I look at the powder blue goddess that is the Blue Gazer and I want that finish on the new YF-19...

Kinda complicated... :p

I'd kinda like to see that, actually! I love the matte finish but I'd love to see how different a gloss finish would make the VF-1 feel. I think that would require completely new molds though. I bet if/when Bandai does a DX VF-1 it'll be glossy.

I think Plus sucks... but calling people who like it pedophiles is a bit much, even for me! haha.

It's odd how people want to put down one thing and glorify another. It's pretty common and almost human nature to justify our choices and think we are the smart ones. You can even do it in a good-natured and competitive way, but there are much more constructive ways to interact with people.

I've never had a problem with Lupin, and maybe you had a bad experience along the way with one of the retailers. Who hasn't? But you catch more flies with honey as it were.

Anyway.