Arcadia YF-19 coming in 2014

SCOOPUDA!

Reworking this post a bit, since I fiddled with some of the parts, and got them installed.

So, bottom line, the parts came out almost perfectly.  Only minor cleanup was needed on the plastic pieces, and the stainless steel came out extremely nicely, with only a couple small burrs to file away on the edges.  Top is my original, middle is POM, bottom is stainless steel.

IMG_2628.JPG

Sadly, they came out slightly different from my handmade patterns in two ways.

First, the wing pivot somehow shifted a fraction of a millimeter between my pattern and the CAD file, so the wing pivot is slightly too far forward.  However, I'm not sure if that needs to be fixed.  The new location does seem to place the wings at a very slight angle backward (the missiles are barely tipped outward).  But it also caused the wings to be permanently lodged directly against the sides of the legs, leaving them almost entirely without any wiggle room. 

IMG_2625.JPGIMG_2650.JPGIMG_2629.JPG

Second, my patterns were made of more flexible material, and didn't interfere with the legs.  But when I mounted one of the metal brackets, it collided with the side of the leg, causing the wingroot tab not to seat correctly.  I cut away a bit of the inner edge on one set of the POM brackets, and that fixed the problem, so I need to make that change to the Sculpteo files and order a new set of the stainless steel ones, since I don't have the proper tools to make that change on metal parts.

IMG_2631.JPG

On the brighter side of things though, these parts came out nearly ready to use, and fit very nicely in the wingroots.  I very much prefer the metal, since they feel quite a bit more solid than the POM version, and the pivot point inside the wing seemed to work more smoothly.  The metal is just a much cleaner cut than POM.

IMG_2644.JPGIMG_2641.JPG

The parts fit nicely inside the wing, though again, the only way to get it in there is to pry the front edge of the wing apart, and hope it stays glued around the other sides.  It rotates back into a slightly different position from the original swingbars, but I think it's not too far off, and doesn't look bad to me. 

You can also see here why we never got clear lenses on those lights.. there is really no room in there for them.

IMG_2645.JPGIMG_2646.JPGIMG_2649.JPG

If anyone wants to give the existing POM parts a shot, I can post the link, but I'm going to upload a fixed version for the metal brackets soon.  The stainless steel was definitely more expensive, but I think the weight, strength, and fit was just much better feeling compared to the POM copies.

IMG_2647.JPG

Edit: Also tested the fast packs with these brackets installed, didn't cause any interference with the leg packs.

Edited by Chronocidal

On 1/27/2017 at 9:41 PM, Chronocidal said:

Reworking this post a bit, since I fiddled with some of the parts, and got them installed.

*snip*

Thanks for sharing this Chronocidal. Looks interesting. ;)

Few questions though.

1. Does the new part whether it's POM or Stainless scratch the wing part? Esp the painted part area?

2. Is there any instructions on how to dismantle the wing parts from the hip? Kind of scary to do it though.

3. Can you post more photos on how that new part helps expanding the wing from Fast to Regular mode. Like how it expands from one mode to another.

Thanks! ;)

I should be clear, this part removes high speed mode as an option.  It just mounts the wing on a stationary pivot, returning it to the way the Yamato YF-19 and VF-19s all had the wings.

Still trying to wrap my head around how to retain that, but I was just sick of my wings flopping all over from sloppy hinges.

As for your other questions though...

1. The new part is cut to pretty tight tolerances, and fits in place of the original swing bar, so it slides inside the wing, and doesn't contact any painted surface.  It might however take a bit of force to push it over the plastic posts in the wing glove and wing, and might scratch them a little.

2. The screws to remove the wing gloves from the hips are relatively easy to get to.  It's the tiny screw cover on the underside that's a trick to get out.  Then you have to remove the original swingbars from the wing, which was easy on mine, but only because the leading edge of the wing wasn't glued down, and they popped out when I spread the wing a bit.  I'm not going to say the process isn't risky.

3. Like I said, the entire point of this part is to remove the high speed option, and make the wings stay put in fighter.  I hope to figure out a full replacement mechanism someday, but I don't think the sort of manufacturing capability I'd need is easily accessible.

Edited by Chronocidal

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I should be clear, this part removes high speed mode as an option.  It just mounts the wing on a stationary pivot, returning it to the way the Yamato YF-19 and VF-19s all had the wings.

Shoot I totally missed this part. Now I remember you already mentioned this before. Sorry about that. ;) 

Thanks also for replying on my questions. I have to think if I follow suit since I still kinda like the High Speed Mode. ^_^ 

I do like the option, if only for the smaller space it takes up with the wings folded back.  I only bit the bullet and modded this one since it was my sloppiest copy.

I saw at least one person break an original swingbar, and a few more expressed interest in just permanently removing the feature, so that's all this fixes. ^_^

I'm fairly certain a completely functional replacement could be made, but it'll take some fancier machining processes.  Even pressing a sort of dimple into the original swingbars might help, it just needs something to lock the wings in place.

Now the trick will be finding a way to fix the Bandai one.. :rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I do like the option, if only for the smaller space it takes up with the wings folded back.  I only bit the bullet and modded this one since it was my sloppiest copy.

I saw at least one person break an original swingbar, and a few more expressed interest in just permanently removing the feature, so that's all this fixes. ^_^

I'm fairly certain a completely functional replacement could be made, but it'll take some fancier machining processes.  Even pressing a sort of dimple into the original swingbars might help, it just needs something to lock the wings in place.

Now the trick will be finding a way to fix the Bandai one.. :rolleyes:

Haha. I was waiting for you to come out with a fix for the VF-19 advance ver too

That's a great fix, but I really need to examine these wings closely to try to make one with the high speed mode. Since I have one already opened, I really don't have any excuse! 

For those on the fence of opening theirs, the wing should have some glue, just take a regular flat screwdriver and make your way inside the wing and pry it gently until the glue cracks. Once opened, you don't really need to glue the wing back together, the screws are sufficient. The glue just make the wing perfectly seamless

maybe I'm just lucky or maybe it's because I don't have the MDE and reaction missiles to hang on it but the wings on my DX VF-19 stay in place perfectly fine on their own, unlike my Arcadia which flops out of place just from the weight of the wing itself.

Yeah, the DX is better in general, but what's bad is that they recessed the rivets, and since mine have gone floppy, I can't even squeeze them to tighten them.  It's worse than my Arcadia now. :p

I've got a design in mind for a replacement swingbar that adds detents to hold it steady, and it's really just a slight variation on the stock one, but it's something that would take a similar level of manufacturing.

Also, to clarify, the wing glove will hold without glue, but I wouldn't go popping the two halves of the wing apart all the way, if you can avoid it.  It's only screwed at the pivot point, and I don't know if it'll hold just from that.

might have to try out this next time, as you all remember my YF-19 has a snapped metal bar for 1 of the wings (dropped), and currently my broken wing is just attached into the wing root with hotglue (that will be fun to remove....)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so, far as I can tell, these replacement brackets are ready to go. 

IMG_2659.JPG.5dd24749d9811f2410a7d86e001202bd.JPG

Got my reworked metal ones in the mail yesterday, and after a little deburring with a file, they work great.

I wound up making two versions.  The first is my original bracket that let the wings pivot slightly to bring the weapons parallel.  The second is the accidental change I made, shifting the pivot forward, and locking the wings in place against the legs.

This gif shows how much wiggle room the original bracket leaves for the wings to move.  The second bracket locks the wings in the rear position, leaving the weapons permanently canted outward like a superhornet's.

wiggleroom.gif.8ae31b0538b3ce3935a55750b5480900.gif

So, you can choose.  Have the wings entirely locked in one position, with the hardpoints slightly offline, or leave a little wiggle room for the wings, and let you push the wings forward to keep the weapons straight ahead. 

If you do choose the ones that let you move the wings to line up the weapons, keep in mind that the ease of moving them is entirely up to how tight you make the screws in the wings.  They'll move, yes, but I was able to tighten the screws so that it took a decent push to move them out of line.

For now, I only have the metal versions available, since they cut to actual size.  The POM is much cheaper, but I need to add thickness around all the edges to account for what the laser cutting process will remove.  A pair of either type in stainless steel will run about $20, which seems to be the base price to cut them.

I'll put the links here for anyone to order if they like.  Just be prepared to overpay through the nose for shipping.. the site can't seem to comprehend that I don't need these things shipped overnight by UPS.. <_<  Also, if the materials goof up, you need these cut from 2 mm thickness.

Here's the longer bracket that lets the wings move to align the hardpoints: https://www.sculpteo.com/en/print/metal-bracket-update-2-1/jmPr39Zc?basket=1&noclickredirect=1&uuid=MVA2TH4a3WGG36Z0ZEb3Qb

Here's the one that locks the wings in position with the hardpoints canted outward: https://www.sculpteo.com/en/print/metal-bracket-update-short-1/J5du2hTx?basket=1&noclickredirect=1&uuid=PQH9GYtSc2tocNP1ML9EFe

It'll take some work getting to where these can be installed, but I'm enjoying having at least one YF-19 with wings that don't slop around.

Edited by Chronocidal

• 1 month later...

Cross posting this, since it's relevant to the YF-19, but if anyone has lost a neck cover, there's one available at Shapeways now.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/YF9G9K2A3/arcadia19-neck-cover?optionId=62354239

Printed one to test, and works beautifully, shouldn't give you any problems ordering.

neckcover2.jpg.ff6e22523c901da115816b3163fbf5b0.jpg

Edited by Chronocidal

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, valhary said:

Another update I tested some parts in blue resin trying to match the raven tone so at this point not know if I remake all parts or paint job:huh:

*snips* (to save space)

Good job of casting. Are you gonna cast the whole valk in that resin as I see a few bags of parts in the background.

Still thinking because if I recast all parts is gonna take so long but without problems of scratch the paint 

In the other hand the resin is fragile and probably cannot handle a lot of transformations but I think works just fine for display no matter wich mode choose

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Finally transformed mine for the first time - been in fighter mode for who knows how long - and aside from the floppy ankles (it was unopened, too, but I wasn't surprised given what I'd read) I'm really surprised at how solidly it all goes together. Except the little winglets behind the cockpit, those fall out if I look at them the wrong way.

Looking forward to attempting some light panel lining and other detail work once I can try to tighten up the ankles. Not sure how I feel about the disassembly so I might just try the "little syringe and tiny drops of floor polish" method instead.

2 minutes ago, jeniusornome said:

Finally transformed mine for the first time - been in fighter mode for who knows how long - and aside from the floppy ankles (it was unopened, too, but I wasn't surprised given what I'd read) I'm really surprised at how solidly it all goes together. Except the little winglets behind the cockpit, those fall out if I look at them the wrong way.

Looking forward to attempting some light panel lining and other detail work once I can try to tighten up the ankles. Not sure how I feel about the disassembly so I might just try the "little syringe and tiny drops of floor polish" method instead.

Arcadia’s YF-19 is definitely a pleasure to transform, but those ankles can be a bit of a bummer.

when you start your panel lining, post up a WIP thread so we can see it from start to finish.

Looking forward to your take on customizing.

2 hours ago, jeniusornome said:

Did you make sure the sides of the cockpit were protected before flipping the backpack over it?  Arcadia had a design flaw that would scratch the black paint flanking the canopy.

6 hours ago, jeniusornome said:

That method works most of the time, I use glue applicator that can delivery controlled amount of the floor polish to a targeted spot. Avoid the trouble of risk of disassemble if you have just this one goal in mind.

On 5/18/2020 at 1:59 PM, Mommar said:

Did you make sure the sides of the cockpit were protected before flipping the backpack over it?  Arcadia had a design flaw that would scratch the black paint flanking the canopy.

How do you protect the canopy sides?

• 1 year later...