Arcadia YF-19 coming in 2014

SCOOPUDA!

all ball joints on all Bandai valks are always loose, ALWAYS. it's just an easier fix on Bandai Valks than Yamato's.

Well...re: the ankles the Bandai Renewal's on all of mine, including Valks that have turned into literal piles of floppy plastic and metal are rock solid.

I've got a first run Renewal VF-25F right in front of me as I type this and while most of the joints (especially the shoulders and hips) have loosened the ankles are rock solid.

On topic re: the Arcadia YF-19, the review IS fine. It's the reviewers opinion or experience with his copy/copies - not the one that landed at your house.

-b.

Considering how many people have had problems with the looseness of just their YF-19 ankles, to say nothing of the previous three releases, a side comment "they're loose, but they work" is a brush off for a bigger problem. He took a pic of the 29 right next to the 19. Are the 29's ankles loose but they work? Has anybody had problems with the ankles on their Isamu 29? I think it's valid to compare and contrast and say, hey, these ankles are not stable enough. Bandai got it right, Arcadia continues where Yamato left off by getting it wrong again. Even if he didn't own a single other 19 (which he obviously does from the photos) it seems like a brush off. People need to know they're still problematic.

My review is based on my experience with the toy I received. I can't predict the future, maybe the YF-19's ankles will hold up. Have the ankles on my VF-19s loosened up a bit? Sure. They still don't fall over, and are plenty stable on the shelf in both battroid and Gerwalk modes. I'm sorry if you have had a worse experience, but I'm not reviewing the toy you received. You make it sound like I was bought and paid for because my experience didn't match yours. Furthermore, I took a photo of the YF-19 alongside the YF-29 because they look cool together, not to spark a doctoral thesis on the differences between them. I've got Bandai DX valks with way looser hips than any of my -19 ankles, but that's not what I was reviewing. My review is based on the toy I got in the box I paid for, and that toy was good.

1/1 LowViz Lurker, on 17 Apr 2014 - 21:01, said:

Arcadia are not the only company doing macross stuff. Always keep in mind the competition when doing a review.

Arcadia is the only company making a new 1/60 scale YF-19 toy today. I don't really write my reviews specifically as buying guides, but if our theoretical buyer is looking for a toy of the YF-19 in 1/60 scale, his options are this or the Yamato one, so that's what I wrote about.

Edited by promethuem5

None of the ankles on my six 25's, three 171's or my 29 are loose in any way. If you want to talk about the hips, that's a whole other story. On my Yammies, all three 19's, all three 17's and now the Arcadia 19. If Bandai ankles are going bad too that needs to be recorded in reviews as well.

The ankles, hips, and shoulders on my VF-25's and the ankles on my VF-19S and YF-19 all had about the same level of "serviceable but a little loose" ball joints. Not the flopping around like a rag doll some people claim to have, just loose enough that sagging would occur over time and some poses weren't stable in the long term.

honestly the VF-171 is the only valk I own where loose joints are enough of a problem that I would list them as a reason someone should or should not buy the toy, I'm just OCD to the point that I have to take all my toys apart for even the slightest little thing.

I think the review is just fine. My post earlier was about speculating about a YF-19 himetal that was never released in the review itself as was suggested.

Don't think that's necessary surely both sides of the aisle can handle contrary opinions, I would hope. No need for hug threads here :D

Also what does speculating about a Bandai product that doesn't exist bring to the table for the CollectionDX review? There's no reason to include that in the review of an Arcadia product that's actually released. :/

Because the yf-19 looks like it was matched close to the release of yf-29 which are both dyson planes and both have the forward swept wings. Much like vf-17 and vf-171 being released close together. Reviews should keep in mind what else is out at the time that you can get with your money not just how good the item is. Everyone likes macross but how much do you like the product for the cost? That is something people always argue about on these boards as prices rise higher. "was it worth the extra money in relation to the improvements?" (some people might actually prefer older toys - eg some transformers repaints of figures may used worse plastic than previous releases or have some giimmicks removed to cut cost)

It's a harsh reality of being collector. If you see a great toy but don't think it is worth the price you may not think its worth buying. For me reviews are all about telling the people if the item is worth it for what you get. But it is just suggestion that can help people.

Why do people insist that this toy is worse build quality than previous yamato toys despite being higher priced? That is something reviews should definitely cover and explore the claims. Maybe explain how this is so. We want to hear this stuff before taking the plunge. (not me in particular but those reading the reviews who have yet to decide whether to buy one.) That stuff is more important than you think. Especially for people who were not crazy about yf-19 enough to pay such high price. Some people like the toy but just not like it at current price given that they got vf-19 at normal price.

It's a bit like how you see arguments about game systems: "ps4 can have the 1080p with 60 fps and is cheaper but the xb one has to cut the frames per second down to 30 and it was initially a morre expensive console. " Logic says one is more powerful and cheaper than the other so one offers a better deal. When deciding which to get you go with the better deal.

This is how i think toy reviews should be. Many complained that the bandai himetal was expensive for its size because at the time yamato had better deal offering vf-1 toys at 1/60 for a bit extra more. People back then were looking at who offered a better deal and they made the choices based on value for money. There was nothing wrong with Himetal they just wouldn't buy it because you could get better deal with yamato.

So why can't they do that with arcadia and reviews of their products in comparison with similar sized bandai ones? You don't think it's fair? I'm interested to hear why.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

If I am remembering correctly, Yamato announced the VF-17 series first and then Bandai made a reactionary move and released the VF-171. I think the same also holds true with the YF-19 vs YF-29 Isamu. Please correct me if I am wrong though, but that is how I remember it. I buy them all so my memory could be a bit foggy. Bandai was trying to take some sales away from Yamato/Arcadia with the equivalent Mac Frontier updated version of each respective unit.

Edited by Loop

Lets say for example yamacadia does a re-release of vb-6 monster which is better than bandai one but more expensive. I as a owner of the existing bandai vb-6 would want to know if the improvements o the newer and improved one would be enough to justify the extra cost that the new monster brings. (perhaps extra gimmicks that were not there for instance)

The point I was trying to make was this:

The review shouldn't just be about "how we've improved since the older toys and how technology has advanced", but whether the improvements are big enough leap to justify paying a bigger amount.... or alteratively getting the older toy at cheap price. (provided the older toy is still widely available)

Ok I 'm not saying he has to do it that way but that it would help us who are thinking of buying the toys if he guaged "how worth it" the toy was for its current price given what the competition offers. This is what most people are going to do if money is an issue. To those who just want "the best that money can buy because price is not an issue to them" it is not needed. But you want your reviews to appeal to as many people as possible and cover as many issues is what i am saying.

Many people would like stands with their toys for instance because it makes posing easier not because we are greedy people but because it helps with the presentation of the toy on display. Mention this in your reviews when comparing to bandai offerings to give the reader a indication of where their money could have gone. But counterbalance it with explaining the quality of offering. (not as much paint scratching on yamarcadia toys etc)

For instance I paid about the same for yamato monster from years ago as I did with the bandai mac F monster. But the new one also comes with the stand. That added value as well as quality. It's not just that "technology got better and the quality is superior overall". You are getting MORE for your buck too.

If yf-19 came with a stand (like they did for sv-51) the issues about the ankles might not be as big an issue for those who want to do cool poses in battroid mode. The diecast (which adds weight) combined with balljoints that get loose are the two big reason you won't be posing this in anything other than usual standing poses so the lack of stand hurts it presentation-wise. If something this expensive falls off the shelf.... let's just say it's going to hit the ground harder and with more force than the all-plastic yamato yf-19.

You don't have that fear with Himetal or smaller toys. You can do extreme poses, and use balljoints without them getting loose, and even if they do fall they won't hit as hard. If they hit the ground or get broken, they are probably less of a hit on the wallet too, since they cost less to replace. People see value in that. 1/48 vf-1 yamato toys had that problem when they made the FAST packs diecast.. It meant the toy felt expensive but it felt risky to pose on the shelf too because if it falls you'd wreck it more easily too. This is where the stand comes in: you can present them in interesting way without as much fear.

I'm saying that the reviewer doesn't need to include speculation on a himetal yf-19. It was never released. Maybe he doesn't own any himetals. If he does, sure, it might be interesting to read. But a review that includes speculation about a yf-19 himetal that doesn't exist in his collection? That pretty much falls out of his scope I would think.

Thanks for the review Promethuem. It was well written and covered all of the relevant points about the toy. The picture comparisons did a great job of showing how far the yf-19 toy offerings have come over the years. You have give anyone on the fence about this yf-19 a visual guide so they can decide as to if the 19 lives up to the hype.

The only thing I think that is lacking from this toy is stand. It been years since Yamato/Arcadia offered a stand and I think they should start coming bundled as part of the release if they don't have plans to start selling separate stands.

There is no lock for any position in any mode. :(

Which is a bit ironic considering the V2 19 series is superior to the old Yamato YF-19 and yet with this new addition they completely forgot to add locks, just like on the old V1's. History repeating.

Better this than no lock for the main chassis in gerwalk. But I would still like a lock for the wings.

Been fiddling with the 19 all day while I wait for my Shapeways bits to dry, and ended up improving the ankles with super glue and the head unit cover was loose too, so I nail-polished the tabs and it's sweet now.

I'm saying that the reviewer doesn't need to include speculation on a himetal yf-19. It was never released. Maybe he doesn't own any himetals. If he does, sure, it might be interesting to read. But a review that includes speculation about a yf-19 himetal that doesn't exist in his collection? That pretty much falls out of his scope I would think.

Yeah he doesn't need to but it would make for interesting review since the himetal already had the vf-19. The VF-19 Himetal came out close to VF-19 (fire and blazer) by yamato. If you want interesting reviews, better to mention all the possibilities. Sorry I disagree. Not trying to piss you off. If you think its fine, think its fine. I think it could be better to include as much info so that people don't have to use the comments section to ask questions that could be covered in the review by making it longer. This is the yf-19 not just a new VF-1 repaint. It deserves loads of scrutiny since it isn't going to be as milked as VF-1 which every toy maker has done a rendition of. Arcadia has boost the price of stuff and they need to be talked about in the review in the same way people talked about hi metal being expensive. It is part of judging whether a toy is worth hunting down.

No different to comparing VF-17S by yamato to the old bandai chuky munky Vf-17S. Yeah it might be unfair since one is a mass production toy but reviews do it. And so I don't think speculating about what a himetal yf-19 would be like is inapropriate since this was cancelled and they were going to do it. VF-19 Himetal was critically a success. It's a 1/100 toy but it pulled off a complex robot and wasn't crappy.

If enough interest is shown in smaller cheaper alternative to the bigger toys by arcadia, then maybe you will see them bring it back?

A review can be as interesting or dry as it wants to be. For instance with the Himetal VF-1 they have a better transformation mechanism for the arms. I think if someone reviews a new 1/60 yamato, mention should be made that it isn't as good as bandai's solution to the arms. As things get better in time, standards are raised. What you thought was awesome 10 years ago is only ok today. 1/48 used to be the gold standard for the VF-1, then 1/60 v2 came out. Then after V2 1/60 himetals came out and one-upped the v2 in making it better and easier to transform. "But the yf-19 himetal didn't come out did it?" Yeah but it was GOING to come out and the VF-19 is a close relative of the YF-19 which he added to his pictures in the review. (very easy to imagine how a YF-19 would have been like as a Himetal since the VF-19 is completed in that line already)

I think as the cost gets higher people will settle for a less detailed but cheaper alternative. But prices don't seem to factor much in reviews for some reason despite how many fans of other toylines (transformers fans) read the reviews and interested to know the quality and value of the toys being covered in comparison to what else is out at the time. A good masterpiece TF is just as complex as macross toy and they came with stands. (ie masterpiece starscream for eg)

Nah nothing here pisses me off :)

Like I said, maybe he doesn't have any himetals. I'd rather a review be focused rather than delving into "what ifs" anyway. I think discussing a himetal prototype falls into that category and would just result in a rambling and messy review.

The review was fine and had enough information about the toy itself. If people have strong opinions about what a review should contain, why not write his own? Even one doesn't own this particular toy, one can always review other toys the way one likes it as a statement to what one thinks a review should contain.

Reviewers are doing this on their personal time, and most have no financial interest and doing it just as part of their hobby. While constructive criticism is good, I don't think it warrants complaints as I have seen here. I'd rather see a review where the reviewer is enthusiastic about the review as supposed to being worried about negative reactions because he's missing information or not stressing points well enough. When that happens, it's a job, not a hobby.

Thanks, that clearly shows I'm doing something wrong. The arms aren't sitting in the grooves of mine. Can u shoot a pic from the side and the back, so I can see how u have the legs positioned? I think i have them sitting to low, though how that works with the wings eludes me.

Its clearly something in the positioning of the arms and legs

Thanks Scream Man. Glad to be of help. Btw, here's the photo you requested. I just hope it's clear. Basically, the position of the legs are like the VF-1's when super packs are installed. Just need to lower (1-click) the leg from the crotch area. And raise the lower leg to meet the pegs from the shoulder fast packs. Hope that helps. :)

IMG_4290_zpsa821eb7b.jpg

IMG_4291_zps2bef83cd.jpg

A tad late to the party, but here's a proper pic of my gorgeous YF-19. Thank heavens for the additional stand with the VF-1S.

Image00001_zpsa25fe287.jpg

Cool pic! :wub:

This was "loco"! but glad it turned out the way I wanted. It stays fine without glue, so I can still transform it.

I will later paint the landing gear and add the stickers.

izamu2.jpg

izamu3.jpg

Great mod takatoys. :wub:

The review was fine and had enough information about the toy itself. If people have strong opinions about what a review should contain, why not write his own? Even one doesn't own this particular toy, one can always review other toys the way one likes it as a statement to what one thinks a review should contain.

Reviewers are doing this on their personal time, and most have no financial interest and doing it just as part of their hobby. While constructive criticism is good, I don't think it warrants complaints as I have seen here. I'd rather see a review where the reviewer is enthusiastic about the review as supposed to being worried about negative reactions because he's missing information or not stressing points well enough. When that happens, it's a job, not a hobby.

Ok but informative reviews are more helpful to those who have yet to buy the toy. I get what you mean by passion. But the toys are masterpieces that other collectors have placed high standards for and generally want info before they take the plunge. It's not about being negative or positive but telling us both positives and negatives so we ca make informed choice.

They are just suggestions. And yes you do not have to remind me "but that's your opinion" Uh yeah whose else would it be?

LowViz, apologies if you've stated in any of your previous posts, but do you own, or plan to own Arcadia's YF-19?

-b.

I own one. I like the one I have. I am satisfid with it. You can put that in the market research survey. heh

But I'm curious why others seem to think it is worse than vf-19. If the quality is worse they need to reflect that in reviews (by mentioning other toys like the vf-19 that yamato released or the yf-29) so the next toys are of the same quality as previous releases. This is a premium toy. If you paid high price you got to tell them what is so wrong with it and explain clearly what you think wasn't as good. You can be positive on some parts and negative on others. Doesn't need to be either/or. Doesn't mean its a job. Your just telling what you liked or disliked. I'm pretty sure the people making these toys are fans themselves and want the feedback about the product for future reference. Especially if it means more money for them.

One thing i think would be good is wings have some lock for the swing gimmick sort of like the 1/48 vf-1.

When you put the missiles on the hardpoints, it can hold the weight without the wing getting loose and floppy. I have no idea how to solve it though.

Very cool - I'm glad that you like the copy you have. By that same reasoning, if someone writing a review "liked" their copy and found nothing wrong worth noting in their write up then why a bone to pick? (that's rhetorical)

People can, and usually do, write about their own experience. If the reviewer wants to go back in a month, two months, two years, etc. down the line and add that a substantial sampling size of people have had "blah, blah, blah" feedback, good or bad, then he or she could do that but it's pretty clear that it was written from first hand knowledge of the product they have in-hand.

-b.

Wooo - look what I just got in the mail;

attachicon.gifYF-19_IMAG0471.jpg

Excuse the 'enhancements' done in Photoshop to make the camera phone pics decent.

At work at the moment, so can't test on the '19 until I get home in 6ish hours... Was off by 1mm on the length of one of the slots - but easily cut off that mm to make it fit (bottom missile launcher) - it's chunky and I love it.

Stay tuned!

Nice! Hoping to own a set in the future. :)

That looks cool! :) When you placed the fast pack, is there a big gap from the body and the wing? Like exposing some metal hinge just for the fast pack to fit based on what Mommar's said? Thanks.

Heres a link to a quick vid of my Arcadia YF-19 with Yamato Fold booster on its back with brand new batteries, folding away without a care..... yes the lights are trippy LOL.

Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/DZh7KMdGEeM

Sorry, dont know how to embed the vid in the post so just the link for now....

Now I really want to have one. :rolleyes: Please Arcadia, reissue the Fold Booster. Or better yet, repackaged it along with the renewal YF-21. That would be sweet. :lol:

Very cool - I'm glad that you like the copy you have. By that same reasoning, if someone writing a review "liked" their copy and found nothing wrong worth noting in their write up then why a bone to pick? (that's rhetorical)

People can, and usually do, write about their own experience. If the reviewer wants to go back in a month, two months, two years, etc. down the line and add that a substantial sampling size of people have had "blah, blah, blah" feedback, good or bad, then he or she could do that but it's pretty clear that it was written from first hand knowledge of the product they have in-hand.

-b.

No there are certain things that can't be refuted because they are problems in all the toys. Like "are the ankles loose so that standing up is risky after going into gerwalk mode?" Or "do wings make it more delicate with the wing gimmick than without?" that can be covered. These are questions people will ask in comment section anyway right? It's not unique to one or two people, but the toy's inherent design.

In the old yamato yf-19 for example you can not refute the statement "it has no lock on the chest". Because it is missing on all of them. Similarly you can't say that the wings are not going to get floppy on the new yf-19 compared to old one which did not have the gimmick. That statement of raw fact can't be challenged.

Because the old toy was never designed to have hispeed. And some might prefer less gimmicks if it means less chance of the toy wearing itself out. (after all the missiles add weight) It's neither positive or negative because you are sacrificing one thing to get another thing. (in this case durability for extra gimmick) By giving that information about the trade-offs (positive and negatives) you are leaving it up to the reader to decide if OVERALL its better or overall worse, ...but at least you informed them to be able to make that decision.

This statement can't be refuted:

"having a stand so that your robot does not fall off the shelf due to weak balljoints is better than not having a stand. If it had a stand it would be better"

It's not the same as saying whether you like the paintscheme or the colour because you fancy a certain colour over another based on personal taste only. Or talking about whether yours came cracked due to an accident by clumsy worker.

A loose toy will always be < a tight one that doesn't loosen. That's why people loved the MacF VB-6 monster because it improved on the design for doing cool poses. Not because the one they had was non-defective due to bad luck. Some things are subjective, but an informative review will look at the factual stuff too. (for eg comparing lineart of the toy and judging how close it got the the original design compared to another toy which isn't as accurate and then telling us what wasn't authentic in the toy. For instance the yamato VF-17 gunpod storage gimmick isn't how it works in the show and that is not up for debate. It's either true or false.).

Im glad i have never done a review and put it up.

I totally understand this.

people here should be glad that someone took the time and effort to make a review for them.

Instead they are complaining and nagging about it. This is really ungreatful behavior.

Make a better review yourself, then you can complain!

Edited by miro79

On a different topic, I finally had the time and courage to transform my 2 YF-19s to check for any damage that wasn't visible in fighter mode and everything was fine. No damage or weirdness. Both have loose ankles though.

Had a bit of trouble with the leg armour, but got them to fit decently tight.

Had trouble with the uni boob too, but after some tweaking I was able to adjust it to the right position, although it did sit a little bit differently on each YF-19. I thought I had them in the same position, but I must've one it a little different on each.

Pretty happy with both of them. :)

Oh, and I was lucky and didn't draw any blood during the transformations. :p

That looks cool! :) When you placed the fast pack, is there a big gap from the body and the wing? Like exposing some metal hinge just for the fast pack to fit based on what Mommar's said? Thanks.

Thanks. :) There's no real gap to speak of, and the metal hinge is only vaguely seen on the inside edge of the wing:

059_zpsdebbafc7.jpg

056_zps2a0d8e18.jpg

063_zpsd83b30ad.jpg

That's not totally fair. I mentioned the ankles, and even said that mine are a little loose, just like on all my Yamato VF-19s, which tightened up fine with a little nail polish, and I mentioned that the FAST Packs for the legs don't stay on well.. Is there some other glaring flaw I was supposed to notice? Everything else works perfectly on mine.

Hi promethuem5, I'm sorry if my initial comments came out wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed your review and thank you very much for putting the time and effort into it. I just meant that the overall tone of the entire review was overwhelmingly positive. I am happy that was your experience. Although you did mention a few points here and there, it was mostly drowned out by the glowing reports and it didn't make an impression on me after taking your review as a whole. I value your opinion and certainly didn't mean to spark any criticism of your excellent review. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with my toy, just not overwhelmingly ecstatic about it. There are improvements here and there and some WTF were the Arcadia engineers thinking about moments here and there.

The review shouldn't just be about "how we've improved since the older toys and how technology has advanced", but whether the improvements are big enough leap to justify paying a bigger amount.... or alteratively getting the older toy at cheap price. (provided the older toy is still widely available)

Ok I 'm not saying he has to do it that way but that it would help us who are thinking of buying the toys if he guaged "how worth it" the toy was for its current price given what the competition offers. This is what most people are going to do if money is an issue. To those who just want "the best that money can buy because price is not an issue to them" it is not needed. But you want your reviews to appeal to as many people as possible and cover as many issues is what i am saying.

Many people would like stands with their toys for instance because it makes posing easier not because we are greedy people but because it helps with the presentation of the toy on display. Mention this in your reviews when comparing to bandai offerings to give the reader a indication of where their money could have gone. But counterbalance it with explaining the quality of offering. (not as much paint scratching on yamarcadia toys etc)

I agree with Lowviz, I do like the toy, its probably a great $200 toy, but I don't think its a $384 toy. Arcadia would need to justify that extra 90% premium surcharge with some tampo printing and at least a stand (not to mention better ankles or engineering refinements) - come on, if you include stand adapters, then you should either have a stand included or at least sell the stands separately - what is this, just a tease for something you can't get?! If Arcadia wants to charge these premium prices, then I expect a premium product and I will be more critical of it than a cheaper alternative. I am not going to criticise a Chevy Cruze for handling like I would a BMW M3, basically we've got a Lexus, its better than decent, but its way overpriced for what you get. IMHO ;-)

Re: the review, I will only reiterate that it's one persons experience and they choose how they want to structure their write up. If someone wants something different/better/inclusive of this, that or the other then they should take the time, take pictures and write it up themselves.

Any given review is informative at best, if someone is going to make a decision based on what others have to say then do some more research and find multiple view points.

Re: prices, per HLJ;

Yamato YF-19 w Fast Packs: 22,800 JPY

Yamato YF-19 w/out Fast Packs: 18,800 JPY

Yamato YF-19 Fold Booster & Fast Packs: 5,800 JPY

Arcadia YF-19 w Fast Packs: 32,800 JPY

Those are prices w/ out discounts. Personally I'm OK with the $ 100 or increase in price for the improvements over the previous version (not to mention in increased costs in development, production, etc.) but everyone places their own premium on their cash and the perceived value and that is perfectly fine.

-b.

someone should let him know how the canopy opens without pushing the nose down.

Ha, I figured someone would notice that. I really did try, but couldn't seem to get all the parts in the right spot at the same time.

Yeah, the trick with the glare shield fooled me at first. I brought it up a number of pages back when my YF-19 arrived. I think it just speaks to how different Arcadia's YF-19 is from the Yamato VF-19 and how confusing the instructiuons can be if you are not giving them your full attention. That is my biggest critique, but given time I also want to take some thickness measurements with a small calliper.

Also, the whole nose on the new YF-19 can be finicky in fighter mode. I keep expecting mine to click into place like the VF-19 that I have, but it just won't do that. The tabs are there, but the fit is different. And If I do not adjust the pieces exactly, then bits will drop out of alignment.

All that said, I do enjoy the toy even though it is fiddly.

BAT added some new shots!! Amazing :ohmy:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bat_/sets/72157644019720723

*snip*

Nice! Seriously every time I look at his pictures I want to go buy something. I've had his VF-4G pictures bookmarked forever and I still to this day pull them up and look/drool.

This particular pose is one of my favorites - says "come get some";

post-357-0-97772800-1397958677_thumb.jpg

-b.