Arcadia YF-19 coming in 2014

SCOOPUDA!

could you confirm this is not a design/mold issue? appreciate your help! :

1396206779954.jpg

Looking at that picture, I assume that Arcadia's 3D designer forgot to chamfer (bevel) the edge of that feature in the CAD model (it's a common oversight in 3D modeling), and since the toolmaker uses the 3D data they are provided to create the toolpaths for cutting the molds, that error is built into the injection molds. The fact that we can clearly see that the right feature has the beveled edge and the left's edge is sharp would seem to indicate that, thoughout the many design reviews, pilot runs, and test shots handling, nobody at Arcadia noticed or ran across a problem caused by this error. Of course, this is all speculation based on a single image, so it may be a unique case, but I highly doubt that that's the only one; if I'm right, this is something present on every copy of the batch that came from that production run.

My advice is to move very slowly during transformation, and inspecting that part; if it isn't chamfered on that corner, break out the needle files and add the bevel to match the side that has it.

Edited by mechaninac

But neither are any of the wing-mounted weapons, IIRC, and they sure spent a lot of effort and money to include them. (I'd rather not have them and have it be cheaper, myself...)

But the missiles look cool and you can choose to leave them on or off if you like. The Grey lines aren't necessary, break up the flow of the design, and wouldn't be remove-able to anyone who doesn't like it (not without a ton of effort and potential damage.)

Looking over other photos people have taken of this thing I noticed in one other pic a minor blemish on that right side but it isn't nearly as big as that first paint scratch pic. It looks like you might be able to avoid that damage if you transform the toy in a particular way but we might need to come up with our own solution to fix it unfortunately.

Edited by Mommar

Ok question to the group... Did anyone pre-order from NY?? Have you recieved a shipping notice?? If so how long did it take to get that? I payed for my order this past Saturday, but still no word. Am I just being a bit to impatient (lol)??

Edited by hazray13

In my experience NY can take quite a while until they ship your order. They are similar to HLJ. Sometimes they're fast sometimes they're not. Plus I don't think that they proceed orders during the weekend.

[edit: ] Oh yeah, my copy is payed and sits in my PW where it will be for some times so I'm looking forward to see reviews and transformation guides soon. :D

Edited by Scyla

Ok question to the group... Did anyone pre-order from NY?? Have you recieved a shipping notice?? If so how long did it take to get that? I payed for my order this past Saturday, but still no word. Am I just being a bit to impatient (lol)??

The status of my order just went "Preparation in Progress" this morning.

I hope it will be shipped tomorrow.

Edited by Dark_Ghost

Just to clarify this once and for all. I just opened up mine, and yes they are STICKERS.

There isn't a 2nd sheet of waterslide decals?...

Man why arcadia didn't tampo print the grey details on the body like the yamato ver?

I'm bummed about that too!

But neither are any of the wing-mounted weapons, IIRC, and they sure spent a lot of effort and money to include them. (I'd rather not have them and have it be cheaper, myself...)

Damn right!

I just got a "Preparation in Progress" e-mail update from NY...

Got mine in hand. Must say I had quite a hard time with this one. This is my first 19 though so it may be easier for some of you who already had a 19 before. Fast packs doesn't seem to clip in tight enough. They feel like they can fall off quite easily. The wing... is scary to handle.. Especially when taking out the pylons, even if the wings is held by a metal piece. No locking whatsoever in the wings, they move very, very freely so all you gotta do is to position it properly. It can move out of place quite easily me thinks. The vertical stabs and the lerx area moves around quite easily too. Minor blemishes here and there but overall fine. She's a beaut though. All that I've said won't stop me from enjoying this display piece. Don't think I'm gonna transform it. Not yet at least. I'll let someone else do that for ya. I love this valk for fighter, really.

Well, pics to follow..

Front:

post-12002-0-49867900-1396271927_thumb.jpg

Side:

post-12002-0-13700900-1396271832_thumb.jpg

Back (sort of) :

post-12002-0-62337600-1396271936_thumb.jpg

Top:

post-12002-0-76357600-1396271959_thumb.jpg

3/4 that we've seen so much of :p :

post-12002-0-48529100-1396271955_thumb.jpg

Figures (they're very well detailed imo) :

post-12002-0-12377100-1396271931_thumb.jpg

Someone asked for ankles. Don't own previous 19s to know the difference, sorry. Hope this helps:

post-12002-0-40648400-1396271946_thumb.jpg

Is this the backpack piece that is sort of molded wrongly? I'm not too sure. Didn't transform. But this seems like the piece. Mine looks fine and both are molded the same way:

post-12002-0-64780200-1396272154_thumb.jpg

Loadout (probably the only way I have use for this. Think I prefer the valk bare) :
post-12002-0-21596400-1396271979_thumb.jpg

And of course with the 29 B)) :

post-12002-0-37851300-1396271965_thumb.jpg

post-12002-0-81456500-1396272041_thumb.jpg

post-12002-0-04470500-1396271970_thumb.jpg

post-12002-0-74113500-1396271975_thumb.jpg

Enjoy!

There isn't a 2nd sheet of waterslide decals?...

Just one set of stickers. Sucks. I intended to put Isamu's name on my 29 too..

Also, forgot to mention, take note of the kite tampo under the canopy. That thing seems to be very prone to scratching as you move that part down.

Andddddddd.. sorry for teh crappy pics. Taken with my iphone. I'll get to using the better camera to snap pics of this guy someday... lol.

Would you say it is possible to swoosh around with the YF-19 without having the wings dislodging form their position in normal flight mode (i.e. not the high speed mode)? It is disappointing to hear that they don't lock into place or at least have a firm resting position especially since I had no need for the high speed mode to begin with. I always thought it would be a nice feature if they could implement it properly. Your description sounds to me that they halfassed it. If so that is really a bummer.

Oh well I have the VF-19S to swoosh around with but the glossy paint job and the bright colors make me look really childish when flying it through the room. With the YF-19 I would look like an Air Force pilot planning strategic maneuvers. :)

It's possible. Even though it moves freely, it's still able to hold decent enough. So it shouldn't move unless you really fiddle with the wings. Not too sure whether it'll loosen with time though.

No worries. It's still great overall. Definitely great for swooshing too :D

Thanks Falcon18 - I am really bummed out about the lack of waterslide decals.

I really hope someone steps up to the plate to make some (I have laser printed my own in the past, but I just can't do the white letters on clear carrier film for the pilot - it generally works on a light background, but not on the black portions).

Do the landing gears look a little short and stubby or is it just me?

Oh well I have the VF-19S to swoosh around with but the glossy paint job and the bright colors make me look really childish when flying it through the room. With the YF-19 I would look like an Air Force pilot planning strategic maneuvers. :)

Whats the difference :p ?

Thanks Falcon18 for the pictures, need more info on the ankles! Seeing from what you have, are they ball jointed like the YF-29 or a mechanism like the VF-1S?

Don't be afraid to transform it to battroid. I think that's the best part of the 19, with reference to my 2nd favourite Valk, the 19P.

It doesnt have a stand. That one came from his VF-1S I see below his shelf.

Edited by close313

I think it's ball jointed. It sorta looks ball jointed too. It doesn't feel like the ankles of the VF-1S.

And yes, the stand's from the Hik 1S. No stand for this release.

I really hope someone steps up to the plate to make some (I have laser printed my own in the past, but I just can't do the white letters on clear carrier film for the pilot - it generally works on a light background, but not on the black portions).

Yeah I'm bummed that the waterslides aren't there too.. Doesn't feel right having the previous 3 releases have waterslides but not include it on this one.

I think the landing gears are about the same height as the Yamato ones judging from pictures. Is that supposed to be the way it is, I'm not too sure.

It's possible. Even though it moves freely, it's still able to hold decent enough. So it shouldn't move unless you really fiddle with the wings. Not too sure whether it'll loosen with time though.

No worries. It's still great overall. Definitely great for swooshing too :D

I was afraid of both of these things when we found out what the wing gimmick was to accommodate high speed mode.

The fact that we can clearly see that the right feature has the beveled edge and the left's edge is sharp would seem to indicate that, thoughout the many design reviews, pilot runs, and test shots handling, nobody at Arcadia noticed or ran across a problem caused by this error.

Only problem with that is that the side that got scratched is the same as the one that looks beveled. I'm guessing the piece is the same on both sides, so it might take a little bit of filing to fix.

The annoying thing about that.. if it's the same as the VF-19s, that entire backplate should be metal. It might not show much if you file it down because of how internal the edges are, but only time and experience will tell if that's necessary.

I think my one gripe about this design is that I think they could have sacrificed a bit of the battroid stubbyness, and made the lower legs longer to cover more of the knee joint in fighter. The covers don't look terrible from the bottom, but the knee joint stands out pretty strongly from the side.

Not bad by any means, but since the design of the knee is a little different than the VF-19's, the joint isn't hidden as well.

I actually think the old Yamato holds up better in fighter than in battroid, compared with the new one. The only thing really different about the side profile is the dropped nose (which was most of the problem to begin with), and the top profile hasn't changed much at all. The lower legs do look a good deal shorter though, which really helps the battroid.

Urgh. No way. The side view is pretty much the whole reason to upgrade. The tiny gunpod and lack of chest lock being the other. Overall this new one blows the old one out of the water. lol It's a april fools joke right?

Even if the wing mechanism is loose, you can stiffen that up in 5 seconds with a tiny dab of blue Loctite. (assuming it is all metal)

And use BLUE Loctite. Not red. For the love of god, don't use red.

Edited by Benbot

Guest davidwhangchoi

so far i'm not impressed... i expected MW members complaints to be much stronger. disappointed...

still waiting for my BiJ shipment notice.
So no refunds from them on the shipping?

they gave me a 3200yen discount coupon code for my next purchase

i asked and waiting to see if they will just refund the difference. but i need the 25F/G tornados so i can always use it towards those. and they're 8300yen on the site so not bad.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Got shipping notification from HLJ ^_^

You can take out the "Made in Japan" tampo with isopropyl alcohol or mineral spirit, the black tampo is not easy to remove, lots of scrubbing, careful not to spread it around the wing or you will smear it around, you might remove the small layer of dull coating they usually use, barely noticeable. At least, that's what I had to do with my VF-4, a bit of a pain but far better that the big stamp in the VF-1's that you can't get rid off. You can also sand it off with 600 grit and climb to 1500 grit to match the usual shine.

AmiAmi shipping is around 40 bucks EMS compared to 30 something HLJ, that's why you get 18% discount.

So, what happened to MrK transformation demostration? noone filmed it and put it on youtube? :ph34r:

We should have an official thread devoted just to transformation videos for the toys. I think it can prevent people wrecking them.

Got my shipping notification from HLJ.

I have to agree that the only real flaw, IMO, is the black showing at the knees in fighter. It's a bit detracting, but I'm a battroid guy, so I'll overlook it. The fighter mode still looks great. Can't wait to have that uni-booby goodness in my hands.

I'll second the suggestion for a valk transformation video thread.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Wow, that helmetless Isamu figure is a lot more detailed than I expected. The head actually looks like him and not some undefined blob or like a muppet (see VF-19P Basara).

The front landing gear could stand to be a tad bit longer, but not by much. The rear ones look shorter than the v1, but I think that's just because the landing gear bay doors are wider thus covering more of the wheel and giving less clearance. The Hasegawa version seems to be nearly spot on compared to the line art.

Guest davidwhangchoi

while we're waiting for our shipments, (i also got a fold booster as well) chucking up clips of the 19 to get us excited:

Guest davidwhangchoi

Where did you find your Fold Booster?

i just picked it on mandarake for 8000yen, initially brought one for 11000yen but madarake cancelled the order saying it was oos. then another appeared so i took it.

Even if the wing mechanism is loose, you can stiffen that up in 5 seconds with a tiny dab of blue Loctite. (assuming it is all metal)

And use BLUE Loctite. Not red. For the love of god, don't use red.

Don't cross the streams?

just finished one round of transformation from fighter->gerwalk->battroid.

some pics but a disclaimer first. my phone's camera sensor heats up and craps out if you leave the camera app on for too long, pictures in low light get a purple tinge.

click thumbs for big

box size comparison

th_IMG_20140401_004935.jpg

what's inside

th_IMG_20140401_005155.jpg

gwalk

th_IMG_20140401_013922.jpg

nose section during gwalk-battroid. those canards can be pulled out completely to rotate downards. the instructions are less detailed than yamato's old ones. good thing i've had some vf-19 experience (i have a 19s).

th_IMG_20140401_014414.jpg

head section. the tiny doors either side of the neck are new for the yf-19

th_IMG_20140401_014607.jpg

threading the cockpit through the chest, sorry about the flash.

th_IMG_20140401_015327.jpg

potential scraping of the cockpit during transformation, looked like there was still some clearance between it and the backplate though.the cockpit actually moves farther away from the backplate once you rotate the chest section down to lock into the nosecone (the uni-boob)

th_IMG_20140401_015438.jpg

th_IMG_20140401_015455.jpg

th_IMG_20140401_021245.jpg

th_IMG_20140401_021253.jpg

all done

th_IMG_20140401_021559.jpg

nice things:

looks great in all 3 modes IMHO

tight codpiece compared to my 19s

matte finish

gunpod is bad-ass (more matte than the 19s IIRC, i didn't bring it out to compare)

the wing gimmick is cool, hope it doesn't loosen over time

lots of missiles! i paid SGD10 less for my 19s (bought locally in SG) and it didn't have as much accessories as this (yeah, I know M7 didn't show them using lots of missiles, but still).

the figures are nicely detailed & sculpted.

not so nice:

the metal hip swingbars were quite hard to rotate forward to battroid position since the plastic springy tabs locking them in fighter position were smaller compared to the 19s

the wing roots could break, the plastic feels thinner and flexes a bit when you rotate the wings into the correct position for battroid. the instructions are very unclear how exactly to rotate the wings in battroid mode, there's just a final picture but no clear diagram for the rotation points.

ankles are still the old vf-19 design, have to be careful not to loosen them excessively

the feet were quite hard to pull out to open up for gwalk/battroid

all in all this is an amazing valk to have if you are/were a M+ fan.

Edited by barurutor