Arcadia YF-19 coming in 2014

SCOOPUDA!

Man, if they start doing master file schemes then I want the Kai as the militarized E model. I love the sculpt of the Kai but hated the colors.

Chris

That would be pretty awesome. Based on the illustrations on page 43 of the master file, the head unit looks pretty nice also. Especially compared to the clown-faced kai.

It is that expensive, and then some. Ever since the VF-19s, prices for Yamato, and now Arcadia, 1/60 VFs have been getting more and more out of reach of anyone but serious collectors with, at least, adequate disposable income; the VF-4G was just the worst offender, and now the YF-19 is pushing the envelope of what we as consumers are willing to pay... apparently Arcadia has not yet hit the price point at which everyone except the truly committed just throws up their hands and say "FU Arcadia, you can keep it". Even people as frugal as I consider myself, make excuses, justifications, adjustments in order to explain why a hunk of plastic and die-cast, regardless of how impressive it may look, can be worth around $300+ after shipping; and I'm as guilty of this self-delusion as everyone else... I too talked myself into purchasing one VF-4G after initially balking at the MSRP (and did not regret it, but still think it was way too much), and, although I have not yet preordered the new YF-19, I find myself giving it serious consideration while still trying not to choke at the price.

Dude I gave up on Macross after Bandai started going insane in the membrane with their Frontier pricing. And you know what I owe them and Yamato a big thanks. The money I now save without buying plastic planes that are prone to breaking by just looking at them, Albeit very nice to look at it, people who blow that kind of money 1)needs their head examined and 2) get their priorities straightened out . When I feel the urge to splurge I head on over to 3PC Transformers. More bang for your buck.

Edited by slaginpit

I would like the YF-19 canopy to be "slightly tinted". But would definitely prefer totally clear over "deep blue" if the only options are the two extremes.

Exactly!

Dude I gave up on Macross after Bandai started going insane in the membrane with their Frontier pricing. And you know what I owe them and Yamato a big thanks. The money I now save without buying plastic planes that are prone to breaking by just looking at them, Albeit very nice to look at it, people who blow that kind of money 1)needs their head examined and 2) get their priorities straightened out . When I feel the urge to splurge I head on over to 3PC Transformers. More bang for your buck.

It's subjective, due to my limited display space I wouldn't even take free TF toys as I prefer aviation and planes. I will have my head examined though, thanks.

Definitely subjective, and a matter of personal preference. Personally, I could care less for transformers, but I adore VFs and other variable, and non variable mecha. To the uninitiated, they're one and the same, but I don't like silly looking sentient alien cybernetic beings that turn into Earth style vehicles in order to camouflage themselves among the natives; my preference lies in non-sentient machines, usually weapons of war, piloted by individuals, that fulfill a somewhat logical function by transforming into other forms, including giant humanoid robots. I also draw the line at combiners and super robots... they also trigger by too-silly-to-consider button.

Head examined? :p

Guuuuys, my robot addiction makes more sense than your robot addiction! :D

No kidding, right? And it's redicrecting valuable energy away from the tinted canopy debate. :p By the way, I like the dark blue canopy. I wouldn't want to see Arcadia get rid of that color completely. On my monitor, it doesn't show up as being opaque, and given all the criticism I wonder what it looked like in person. Still, I can compromise too. Imagining a lighter blue tint is not difficule for me, and I can see myself being happy with that as well. I'm not really worried about missing cockpit details when the canopy is closed, either. If Arcadia keeps a version of this blue canopy and it is as translucent as Yamato's rainbow canopy, then I'll have no complaints.

The money I now save without buying plastic planes that are prone to breaking by just looking at them, Albeit very nice to look at it, people who blow that kind of money 1)needs their head examined and 2) get their priorities straightened out . When I feel the urge to splurge I head on over to 3PC Transformers. More bang for your buck.

The 19's have never been prone to breaking... and what's the difference between spending that kind of money on one plastic thing versus a pile of them? It's all crap in the end. Save the high and mighty act for someplace else.

I love that blue canopy the way it is. I've never felt the need to have the canopy open nor do I care about how detailed that little area is. I absolutely do not want a completely clear canopy.

Edited by Mommar

Guest davidwhangchoi

and what's the difference between spending that kind of money on one plastic thing versus a pile of them? Save the high and mighty act for someplace else.

+1

...+600(the cost of two 19's)

With all due respect, I think it's a little absurd to come into a toy forum and sanctimoniously claim that people have their priorities mixed up for buying expensive pieces of plastic, and then turn right around and say that you prefer to spend your money on different expensive pieces of plastic. If you're going to play the "priorities" card, then someone else could just as easily play the same game and say that any grown man who buys $100+ transforming robot toys should have their head examined. After all, that money could have been used for feeding hungry people in third world countries or stopping human trafficking instead, right?

I prefer the current color of the canopy and I would prefer any degree of tinted blue canopy over a completely clear one (even if you cannot see the pilot) but that is just me. I assume that the canopy of a space fighter would always look somewhat like the visor current of space suits.

[edit: ] Also Gundam toys are clearly superior to any other form of plastic toy collectibles that are made for grown-up man-childs. :D *takes his hat and runs away*

Edited by Scyla

I assume that the canopy of a space fighter would always look somewhat like the visor current of space suits.

Exactly. Look at modern fighters, the F-22 looks pretty much like that in some of the pictures I've seen. Probably only at certain angles, though.

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

Yeah, base price on the renewals and VF-171s is 14000 Yen, but all/most of the latest ones have been available for less than full retail; of course, once you add the purchase of the accessory packs, but only if you do buy them, the prices get much closer to the 20000 yen mark at which the VF-27 1.5 with fast packs is MSRP'd... still a whole lot less than the VF-4G and this new YF-19.

You are all correct on the price of the bandai valks dropping in price. I do believe the VF-27 is about 15000-20000 Yen depending on markup. I know being in Japan I still see a lot of the VF-171s and those have dropped in price because I think they did not sell as well. The reissue of the VF-25 Alto renewal version was 16000 Yen, and the VF-25S (hoping they reissue) is now fetching 28000+ Yen. Still when you take the price of the bandai valk and add super/strike parts you are at about 20000 Yen. So maybe I did over estimate. I can only say that in my opinion, the Yamato/Arcadia Valks just look and feel better. Not enough to really justify all the cost increase, but it does make sense given the market today and production costs.

I prefer the current color of the canopy and I would prefer any degree of tinted blue canopy over a completely clear one (even if you cannot see the pilot) but that is just me. I assume that the canopy of a space fighter would always look somewhat like the visor current of space suits.

[edit: ] Also Gundam toys are clearly superior to any other form of plastic toy collectibles that are made for grown-up man-childs. :D *takes his hat and runs away*

I like the color. It helps filter out the space radiation and helps for projection of the integrated 360 degree HUD display:)

Exactly. Look at modern fighters, the F-22 looks pretty much like that in some of the pictures I've seen. Probably only at certain angles, though.

-Kyp

Those canopies in space would cave and kill the pilots.

If imagine the valkyries have plasma canopys, and could be made in

any color.

So, while I'm glad to hear there may be repaints... honestly, I think I really only want the supernova prototype schemes. Maybe a low-vis version if they make it, or possibly a ravens one, but I think only the supernovas (orange and blue together please) would be a must-have for me.

Edited by Chronocidal

So how are preorders going? Is Arcadia able to profit off this release now that people have had time to learn about this toy being made?

I ask because I will probably buy a repaint in another scheme rather than 2 yf-19 in the usual mac plus anime paint scheme.

If this does well enough I hope they get around to doing vf-0 phoenix with reactive armor set. Or VF-11C with the full armour and giant gunpod. (maybe they can retro actively reduce the size for the toy version)

My view of the high cost is this:

if you want really good quality, just pay the high cost and tell hundreds of your friends about macross to grow the fanbase so they will spend money buyiig toys too. The bigger the pool of people buyig the easier time toy companies have selling because there are more people to sell to. Eventually they can drop price afrer the hardcore fans have absorbed the high initial cost to produce it, and then later gradually sell to casual fans with less desire for it (or poor guys who can't save up in time to buy it at full price because of lack of money)

Unlike transformers, this is merchandise of really old forgotten anime shows that older people remember, not aimed at children where you can see cartoons on tv of the toys constantly. (ie the cartoon is the ad for the toy so it's easier to sell a toy if people can see what the characters are all about and recognise them in a store)

TF has the advantage of selling to more overall people so the risk just isn't as high as old mecha shows for aging sci fi nerds who have more income than a kid. It's just not a fair comparison imo. True they are just toys and they both transform. But if macross had a regular saturday morning show which constantly gets exposure to a mass audience all the time and also new shows after the old shows are over, then it might be a different story. ie The characters and machines would be instantly recognisable to the average joe on the street, the masses of fans would be larger, and the risk to making merchandise for it becomes far less risky.

That's the main issue here.

If arcadia had the license to a new macross show, and that show was currently showing, they could probably afford to make larger numbers of the toys, (higher demand when a series is current) and reduce the price in anticipation of having more people to sell the toys to. (both kids and adults and anything in-between)

It seems yamato/acrcadia is a brand mostly known for catering to the older fan who has trouble finding new toys of old respected shows of the past. If the fanbase for older stuff is small, then that natural result is those fans having to fork out a lot more money to get the toys of these things to sustain the company making it since it is more risky to make new toys based on characters/mecha from older series. However the advantage of that is you are closer to your hardcore fanbase (ie you can listen to their criticism) and that is where companies can listen to feedback from their buyers who naturally will get ignored by bigger companies that have larger IP that they can mine for money. (fans are loyal to that company more than the big company that might only put in a half-assed effort)

If say you think "optimus prime's paint apps are crappy" in the latest release of masterpiece optimus prime, you are less likely to have anything done about it in future since so many people (casual fans) who don't complain about that stuff are still going to buy the optimus masterpiece with crap paint apps.

But if you have a small dedicated fanbase who cares about small details, the company is much more likely to care since they rely a lot on their support just to survive. They can't fall back on the casual fans who wil accept only ok quality. This results in overall much better toys since they have to outdo themselves constantly just to get existing fans to rebuy the next best thing around the corner. A big company which can profit from many different properties may not need to improve the products to keep profiting and the quality for the next release might actually be worse than the previous one. (they reason that people may still buy it if the quality dropped a little bit which only the hardcore people would notice who can be safely ignored) If it was a smaller company they don't have this option as it relies on smaller but dedicated fanbase who pay premium for their product.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Guest davidwhangchoi

3rd batch of reservations of yf-19 closed on arcadia's site. a sign that it's selling well for arcadia as a company? I think arcadia will be open to mr. k's suggestions for new molds he proposes in the future. hopefully he'll have more freedom to get the projects he wants approved.

http://arcadia.ac/products/detail.php?gid=126

Edited by davidwhangchoi