I wish they'd eschewed the extending wings in favor of a cargo compartment with ramp.

This. I keep thinking that trying to "work that in" will basically entail redesigning the whole ship from scratch, rather than really modifying it. Such a common feature of classic space cruisers, surprised it's not in there.

Well, LEGO's all about shooting mechanisms now, and the wings extend to reveal a second larger set of shooters. If you were to remove all the mechanisms required to make the wings slide and hard mount the wings permanently extended, then you could build in some walls and a couple cargo doors. The rear would require a bit of redesigning, but it looks feasible to me with very little effect on the rest of the ship. My own inclination, if I was to mod a copy, would be, in addition to a functional cargo section, to make the entire ship forward of the cargo box separate. If the wings are hard mounted in the extended position, there's a nice bit of space aft of Astro-Kitty's section to add some engines. Retractable landing gear would also be a consideration.

I'm not sure if I'll ever mod this with real bricks, but once someone adds it to the growing library of official sets in LDD, I may try modding a virtual copy. It'll be fun to play around with. If my virtual mod comes out alright, then I might consider getting another copy and trying it out.

Mine's sitting atop my printer, as I've nowhere else big enough to display her. :) She's a sleek ship; kudos to the designer(s) for getting the sloped look from front to rear just right. About all that's missing are the yellow and black stripes on the wings. As fixes go, that one's easy.

Edited by M'Kyuun

About all that's missing are the yellow and black stripes on the wings. As fixes go, that one's easy.

I see those stripes mentioned so often, but checking up on it, they only seem to be on the very very first ships. Like the next 10 year's worth didn't have them--so I don't see them as "essential" to "Classic Space".

They were only featured on the Galaxy Explorer and the Space Cruiser, which were the two largest ships in the original blue and grey space theme. Given Benny's ship's size, they'd be apropos, but as you said, not essential. They're easy enough to add, if one wants.

Not coincidently, a number of parts used for the substructure are black and yellow, with a few yellow and black parts visible externally.

I just realized another minor gripe; the little wingtip ships' instrument panels sit at the figures' feet, but the clip parts used to affix the blue cheese slopes offer an excellent but unused opportunity to put some levers there for the figs. I used one of the extras that came with the set, and it worked perfectly. Three more would've provided actual controls for both ships. Actually, the lack of controls, or controls that are far beyond the figure's reach, seems to be a common factor in a lot of sets these days. I've been slowly accumulating Classic sets, and one thing that strikes me in most of them is the abundance of controls, usually both computer and something for the fig to put his hands on. Since my days as a wee lad, that particular detail has always thrilled me, for some reason. Having worked on aircraft, with a knowledge of cockpit layout, the lack of controls in sets always strikes me as a serious minus.

I think I've decided on how I'm going to replace the front canards (they just do not "fit" with the rest of the ship---they have no sweep nor taper, and the little flags are odd---going to replace with the classic 4x8 "space wing" on a hinge to allow them to retract along the sides of the nose, with tiled "strakes" to help give them support) but still have no clue how I'm going to re-do the wing-tip-ship's attachments. Would like to possibly use pins as there attachment mechanism, but non-clicky hinges etc may work.

It's likely it'll be up for order at Lego.com itself at like midnight of the 1st, and they're doing both a free mini-set giveaway and free shipping over $75, so that's even better than getting from Amazon.

Yeah, I plan to grab it directly from the site when it goes up.

The classic wings along the nose sounds like a good plan, it'll blend in pretty well. I might do something similar. The pods on the wingtips though are going to get a complete redesign.. maybe an enclosed cockpit version, maybe just a detachable unmanned pod like the old hovercraft set, depending on if I can find yellow windows to match (I have VERY few pieces that color).

Edited by Chronocidal

The MSRP is pretty standard for a set this size. While the piece count doesn't quite make the highly favored $.10/piece ratio, one has to consider that there are quite a few large pieces in the set, three unique minifigs, Astro-Kitty with two printed parts, and Benny, who has a unique helmet and torso print, and only appears in two sets. There are also three 2x4 slopes with the Classic Space logo printed on them. :wub: Moreover, the final product is a rather large Classic Space inspired ship ( about 18" long) with a number of features and an extending wing function with spring loaded put-your eye-out-from-across-the-room shooters. All this will draw in the kids, but LEGO knows that there are plenty of adults like me who salivate over something like this, fueled by nostalgia, empowered by disposable income, drawn inexorably by a hobbyist's fanatical need to have it...in multiples! :D

I ordered the new Creator Mixer set, and decided to go ahead and get a second Spaceship! for parts, which will come in handy for a project I'm working on. The movie's due out on DVD/Blu-ray on the 17th, IIRC. Can't wait.

I grabbed two as well, currently plotting how I can rebuild those wing pods into something more substantial, and thinking of ways to work in some of the classic space parts I still have around.. mostly, thinking of those tall support-structure style tails for the rear, instead of the dual 1x4 fins.

I too wanted some of those supports, but their price/availability in any color I wanted kinda nixed those plans.

We could REALLY use another set with "the parts Benny's ship doesn't have". True, an entire "New" Classic Space theme isn't that likely from LEGO---but there's absolutely no reason they couldn't make a Creator set or two with space themes/colors.

Just give us a bunch of blue, bley, and trans-yellow bits. Mainly slopes, fins, rockets. And if they do the common "wheels for engines" thing---just include 4 tires for an alternate vehicle build and there's your new Creator set.

(the BEST thing though, would be a future "Benny's Moonbase" or something, like a 1200+ part set)

the BEST thing though, would be a future "Benny's Moonbase" or something, like a 1200+ part set)

There is hope I heard they got a green light for a second movie

So, Benny's ship is sold out at Amazon and LEGO.com already.

Well I for one hope Lego has the obvious reaction and brings back Classic Space. :p

Seriously though, with Peter Reid's book and Exo-Suit coming out, there is a mini-Classic Space revival anyway. Might as well go all the way!

Edited by danth

Update: It takes 14 steps before you encounter/use a "basic brick". That's a good thing IMHO. And I am dreading applying the stickers to the slope parts. "LL929" may look awful (as slopes have rough surfaces) and REALLY should have been printed. Stickers on tiles are easy to make look good, stickers on slopes is just asking for trouble.

I just decided to skip the stickers entirely, and stick to the pre-printed ones.

Few thoughts about construction... There's actually a nice potential separation joint from the main body with the wings, and the forward section, but the problem is the interior compartment bridges between them. If you remove the front half of the ship, you lose the back wall (and whatever crystal-doohickey power core the engines use). Also, wish they'd designed that interior section with the consoles in the middle, so you could seat someone in there with the lid closed. Unikitty's nook gets in the way.

Between this and the Imperial Shuttle though, I'm noticing a trend.. they seem to be getting fairly conservative in how many parts are used to reinforce things. Lots of OCD moments where you realize there are just huge gaps left in the structure, but they don't need to be filled to remain sturdy. I think with a little rebuilding, you could easily design the wings to not need the entire underside structure.

I'll probably be digging for pieces to build some larger mini-pods soon, and I might redesign the nosecone a little. The cone between the blunt wings kinda just rubs me the wrong way, so I might replace it with a tapered plate, and finish the tip off with a pair of classic guns.

Mostly done rebuilding a few of the details, and I think it came out much better than stock. Biggest change is the rebuilt wing pods, which are now a decent sized mini-ship. Also, no, the entire bulky structure under the wings is unnecessary. You can remove the bottom layer of reinforcement and replace it with a single 4x8 plate.

One thing I am noticing though.. while all the features practically scream "playability," this is one you probably don't want to go swooshing around the room too much. The base structure is nice and sturdy, but various pieces just love to fall off. Worst ones are the tails mounted to the cover flaps over the launchers. I really don't like the big blue panels they used there, they seem to just be manufactured to the wrong tolerances, and nothing likes to stay attached to them. The little dishes mounted to the front of the flaps also don't like staying on.. inventive as it was to use a wheel hub as a double-sided stud, they really don't hold on very well.

I'll see about posting some pictures up later. I had some fun replacing the instrument panels with old vintage versions, and manned the new wing pods with the two classic space figures I have.

Mine's not even done yet but I figured that yes you could remove much of the under-wing structure. They seem to serve more as a "template/jig" for building, than as truly necessary parts.

Would love to see some new wingtip pod ideas.

Here's a few pics of the changes. I'm not sure I love the wing design of the new pods yet, but they work, and still blend with the sweep of the main wing.

post-907-0-59387300-1402282085_thumb.jpg

Nose redesign:

post-907-0-50361300-1402282095_thumb.jpg

New wing attach points, reversed hatch dishes (with gray mounts :p), and bigger tails:

post-907-0-25550300-1402282105_thumb.jpg

Underside (I removed half of the rails from the wings, and filled in some of the gaps with gray plates):

post-907-0-22818300-1402282113_thumb.jpg

New pods:

post-907-0-35952900-1402282120_thumb.jpg

Pod structure:

post-907-0-54465200-1402282127_thumb.jpg

My main issue with the pod wings is that now the wings look a little crowded, since they're the same height as the tails on the cover flaps.. but since those are constantly falling off anyway, I might just remove them. :p

I might also redesign the pods with swing wings instead of vertical folding ones, but I think the overall planform is better with these.

I plan to replace the (4x6?) "wedge-tile-car-roof" bits with simple plates.

Also, despite Unikitty being awesome---she's gotta go. That whole area is literally designed around her. She can just go down in the reactor room.

PS---screen cap:

7UBhpry.png

It's not QUITE what's in the box. Notably, Unikitty's "hold-down"---has several more pieces/joints, and the area it attaches to has some grey pieces in blue instead. I'm sure there's a few more bits that are different too. (also, the LL929 stickers are mirrored from the box---though I think the box looks better, otherwise the stripe angles are weird)

Huh, wonder if there was some structural reason they redesigned her hold-down. Wouldn't be hard to build it that way.

The inner control room I actually modified without moving her nook. It's not perfect, but you can seat two figures inside (without any back equipment), even with the lid closed. I just have two consoles mounted next to each other in the center facing opposite sides, and the figures are offset by two studs.

Well yes, you can fairly easily remove her "holding pen" and keep things mostly intact---but I plan to completely remove the whole "octagon" styling.

Anyone else have very loose arms on the repair droids? I'd bet money those are "made in China" parts. They seem slightly off in color (too pale), they are not a plate/brick (LEGO never has China make essential/basic parts, generally just studless/accessory bits), and they have that "off" feel to them.

The robot arms in my set are pretty loose too, compared to older versions. I have noticed, however, that certain parts have been reworked to decrease their clutch; the lever pieces, for instance: They used to be really tight, which made it a royal pain to remove them without inflicting damage to the base. All the levers I've had in the last few years have all been really loose. In a way, it's nice because you can adjust them much, much more easily than older versions, but they pop off really easily too. Since 5-8 yr olds need to be able to take these things apart, I guess that drives reworking the clutch power on some of their elements. I still find some of my older parts that are so tight I can barely get them separated, esp the old technic friction pins which had friction ridges that ran the length of the connectors on either side of the separator ring. Those things were TIGHT, and nigh impossible to remove once ensconced within certain parts without damaging or destroying one or both.

I'm curious as to why the movie version of Kitty's hold down was so elaborate; the droid body does the job, and I actually turned mine over so the stud is facing up. It holds her down just fine, and the stud makes it easier to open. As for seating the figures under her octagon trench area, I haven't had any issues, as long as I remove Emmett's Piece of Resistance and lean him a little forward. The octagon closes flush with both Wildstyle and Emmett at the controls.

I like the way that underbelly looks without all the Technic clutter, as well as the all-plated nose. I'm not too crazy about the round brick and cone design; it looks meh, ok from the top, but from the side it looks terrible. If I end up getting a third copy, I may have to do some modding. I'd like to give it a cargo bay instead of the extending wings. Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with in the mods department.

I turned the droid-body upside down too---it "fits her" much better that way.

As for clutch power---the robot arms are ridiculously loose, and they were never too tight before. And yet the red lightsaber bars that go very near them---THOSE have some clutch power! They don't come out of their clips without a fight.

I don't remember the droid arms being incredibly loose, but I think they did move around easier than some of my older ones. Control levers always did bug me though.. only way I used to be able to get them off was to pull the lever out, and pop the base loose with a screwdriver, or other thin metal thing.

Getting some of the smaller elements apart has always been an art unto itself, especially with things like technics connector pins (half axle/half free spinning were the worst to pull out if the axle half was stuck). The pieces those lightsaber blades sit in have always been pretty tight, and somewhere along the way, I got paranoid about just "snapping" pieces into those clips, so I always try to slide things in from the side.

Those clip pieces have gone through more design changes than any other due to breaking so easily. I've had a couple casualties myself. I still snap parts into them, though. The newer ones are a bit beefier.