Misa Hayase: White Reminiscences

Gubaba

you could upload the original japanese file?

Please

thank you

As Sketchley and others have said, it's not a file. I actually bought the book from Amazon.co.jp and had it shipped to one of my friends in Japan. She then shipped it to me, and I bought her lunch the next time she came back to the States.

Also, I don't have a scanner, and even if I did, spending a few hours scanning 136 pages is not really how I want to spend my time. Sorry.

Edited by Gubaba

Week 4 Progress Report: Not good. This week was especially busy and left me exhausted, so even when I had time to translate, I found it like pulling teeth. So yeah... less than a page this week. Thankfully, since I've done extra over the past few weeks, I'm still on schedule. My work load's a little lighter next week, so maybe I can make some extra headway there.

Anyway, here's Chapter 2: Misa Chapter 2.pdf

This chapter is, I think, the REAL heart of the book. It's also the section I'm proudest of, as I think it turned out pretty well.

And, sorry... I gotta ask... is anyone reading this? Any questions or comments?

("I have a question: 'Is this book as awesome as I think it is?' And I have a comment: 'YES!'")

EDIT: Oh, and sharp-eyed readers of Macross the First Vol. 5 might notice a little ship-in-a-bottle...

Edited by Gubaba

I've been following this thread and am loving it and your translations. Thank you for doing this. :)

Misa is more into Riber than I had thought!! I thought it a little cheesy that they happened to have gone to Ngyan Ngyan and saw Minmay and that Minmay even said that Riber looked like Kaifun.

Haven't read Ch 2 yet though. Hopefully tonight.

Thanks for the latest chapter, I'm loving every word in it.

If you're concerned about the relatively low amount of comments, I think part of it's got to do with some people preferring to wait for the whole enchilada to be posted, instead of downloading the story piecemeal. I think the other part is that White Reminiscences is a pretty obsure book among English readers because it's never been translated before. Once your translation is complete, I think the story will become routinely referenced amongst the English community.

And, sorry... I gotta ask... is anyone reading this? Any questions or comments?

As for comments...

I didn't like Minmay's cameo in the story, it's shamelessly contrived. Out of all the Chinese restaurants in the city, they end up at Minmay's.

And you have my sincerest thanks for translating Riber's poem, that didn't look like a pleasant experience.

Edited by TheLoneWolf

Thanks for the latest chapter, I'm loving every word in it.

If you're concerned about the relatively low amount of comments, I think part of it's got to do with some people preferring to wait for the whole enchilada to be posted, instead of downloading the story piecemeal. I think the other part is that White Reminiscences is a pretty obsure book among English readers because it's never been translated before. Once your translation is complete, I think the story will become routinely referenced amongst the English community.

Good point. The "whole enchillada" will also have the illustrations included (including my sweet avatar), so that should be something worthwhile.

Just finished chapter one Gubaba and looking forward to the 2nd one. BTW

Loved the bit where Misa and Minmay meet in Chinatown. That was an eyeopener for sure

As for comments...

I didn't like Minmay's cameo in the story, it's shamelessly contrived. Out of all the Chinese restaurants in the city, they end up at Minmay's.

And you have my sincerest thanks for translating Riber's poem, that didn't look like a pleasant experience.

Funnily enough, I agree with both of you. I loved the scene itself, but I wish Ohnogi hadn't felt the need to emphasize it with the "Misa didn't know how important this girl named Minmay would become... blah blah blah." Anyone reading the book would know the significance of the scene without being told, and it just makes a cute and fun bit rather ham-fisted and awkward. I actually thought about cutting that last sentence out, but finally decided to be true to the book, rather than to my own instincts.

And the poem wasn't so difficult... my only problem is that I don't know if the poem is supposed to be good or bad... :unsure:

Finished Chapter 2. It really fleshes out the world before the launch of the Macross quite nicely as well as Misa's backstory. Good read. Thanks for the translation again Gubaba.

2 quick questions:

Is chapter 2 the final chapter?

Where can I get this Shubie Borts - His Life of Bleach and Isolation? :p

Finished Chapter 2. It really fleshes out the world before the launch of the Macross quite nicely as well as Misa's backstory. Good read. Thanks for the translation again Gubaba.

2 quick questions:

Is chapter 2 the final chapter?

Where can I get this Shubie Borts - His Life of Bleach and Isolation? :p

There are still two more chapters to come, but they're both much shorter than Chapters 1 and 2.

And yeah... I want to find the Shubie Borts book myself. I'm guessing it's some kind of in-joke that I'm not getting... :unsure:

It's a week early, but I'm trying to light a fire under my own ass (just as Global lights a fire under Misa's ass here)... so here's Chapter 3, "White Parting," which I just finished translating yesterday.

One more chapter to go...

Misa Chapter 3.pdf

Read both and these are fantastic!! Love the words and how much emotion is expressed. Readers are treated to private events and deep inner thoughts of the characters. MANY THANKS GUBABA! :)

"Both"...? You, er... read the Prologue, right...?

Done reading chapter 3. Another great read. Again thanks a lot for the translation Gubaba.

There was just a tiny typo halfway down on page 3 where you missed a "to" in "She seems be doing better, doesn’t she?”. Unless of course it is implied that Global's japanese was not perfect :p

Edited by Marzan

Done reading chapter 3. Another great read. Again thanks a lot for the translation Gubaba.

There was just a tiny typo halfway down on page 3 where you missed a "to" in "She seems be doing better, doesn’t she?”. Unless of course it is implied that Global's japanese was not perfect :p

Whoops! Thanks. Fixed.

You're doin' God's work, Gubaba.

This translation captures the "feel" of SDFM even across different mediums. It fits so neatly into the tone of the TV series: told in a soft, almost romantic focus, yet not shying away from harder truths.

You really get a feel for what made Misa the person that she is in the present time, for good or ill. And I liked that Mr. Hayase is a loving father, which makes their later conflict much harder to watch

I thought it was pretty corny that Misa met Minmay before the TV series, and the "little did they know" bit made it even worse, but thankfully the story didn't dwell on that fact.

Can't wait to read the last bit.

I thought it was pretty corny that Misa met Minmay before the TV series, and the "little did they know" bit made it even worse, but thankfully the story didn't dwell on that fact.

Can't wait to read the last bit.

You'll hate the final sentence. As do I.

• 3 weeks later...

my first post here, been a long time macross fan.

basically I just dropped by to say thanks and good work! I havent read the chapters yet, but I will as soon as you finish the project

What are your ongoing translation projects? Im trying to read some novels from macross and its nigh impossible given my illiteracy on kanji

thanks again, and good work!

• 4 weeks later...

FINALLY FINISHED!!

Thanks to everyone for their encouragement, and thanks especially to The Lone Wolf for finding typos and suggestions (some of them I took, some of them I didn't). And to Tom Bateman, who provided me with a copy of the pic of Misa at the party that wasn't simply two pages glued together.

The last chapter, incidentally, was a TOTAL BITCH. Anyway, it's done now... more coming soon (I hope)!

(Err... unfortunately... the upload limit 100MB, and this file is 108MB... Damn...)

http://depfile.com/tE8YKdH