Star Wars Rebels - animated series

Yawn haven't watched this show in long time.  Mystical vision quest episodes are boring in every single TV show they appear in.  Character enter a dream like world where they are visited by a creature that doesn't speak and so the Character spend the rest of the episode walking around trying to discover the answer.  Last time I watched this show the same thing was happening.   Stop watching after that.   Only started to watch again recently once I heard the series was wrapping up.

1 hour ago, Roy Focker said:

Yawn haven't watched this show in long time.  Mystical vision quest episodes are boring in every single TV show they appear in.  Character enter a dream like world where they are visited by a creature that doesn't speak and so the Character spend the rest of the episode walking around trying to discover the answer.  Last time I watched this show the same thing was happening.   Stop watching after that.   Only started to watch again recently once I heard the series was wrapping up.

There were X-Wings a few episodes back.....sort of worth it, lol!

LOVED these last two episodes, fantastic stuff. Color me impressed for not cheaping out and just giving us X-Wings and other relatable garbage we've seen for the past 40 years and in every other known form of Star Wars media, THIS episode is something the show needed, not more of the same/easily consumable fan service. What we saw was some real, tangible game changing stuff for the force and force users, I'd take that any day over more CG X-Wings and Ties. Most importantly, we got a LOT of answers for a lot of different hang ups, storylines, and even more insight into the actual ancient Jedi/Sith order. It's always bothered me with this series when people complain when it actually gets unique and interesting and instead just clamor for more OT stuff since it takes place in the PT - OT timeline. Personally, if I wanted X-Wings, Ties, and Star Destroyers I would watch the OT, or Rogue One. Rebels is actually interesting, and despite being set in the most loved era in the Star Wars timeline, they definitely could have went the boring fan-service route, they didn't and I love this show for it. There are three episodes left, there will be plenty of boring shooty shooty explode stuff in that time I'm sure, actually finishing the Loth-Wolf storyline with a look into a new side of the force that has never seen was awesome!

Also, looking at some of my more recent Marvel Star Wars comics, and some of the non-sense from TLJ, the implications of the Mordis Gods is by far one of the most important revelations in Star Wars history. These last episodes also gave us a more interesting look into a side of the force we haven't really seen, a physical place that actually binds all space and time together, Yoda and other Jedi have always mentioned how the Force binds and holds everything together, The Daughter, Son, and Father and the Jedi Temple have shown us how fairly literal all of that really is. Also, it was pretty obvious to me Ahsoka's bird follower was actually The Daughter, she clearly survived to a small capacity from what The Son attempted.

Just watched the last two episodes last night.....that certainly opens up a can of worms.  Without getting to spoilery, that's a concept that's never been seen in Star Wars as far as I can recall.

I think there will be some very interesting story telling in future Star Wars content.

3 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

It makes the Jedi look even more idiotic than they already did in the prequals.  It is one of those things where you have to ask the writers "Did you think this through at all?"

Not that I'm trying to call you out or anything, but care to elaborate on this? I don't get what comes off as idiotic, the temple most Jedi and Sith weren't aware of or the Place Between Worlds most Jedi and Sith weren't aware of?

A temple nobody knew of that leads to that particular place?  How could they forget THAT temple?  It just doesn't make sense.  Since the Sith were mostly defeated till only a couple were left they get a pass but the Jedi?  Things get forgotten when the culture that created them is wiped out in some way, Jedi do not get a pass on this.

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

A temple nobody knew of that leads to that particular place?  How could they forget THAT temple?  It just doesn't make sense.  Since the Sith were mostly defeated till only a couple were left they get a pass but the Jedi?  Things get forgotten when the culture that created them is wiped out in some way, Jedi do not get a pass on this.

Ah I see. I believe it was explained that Jedi and Sith knew of the Temple, they just didn't know how to access it's true power, or they didn't know how to access the inner chamber. Ezra's connection with Dume and the Loth Wolves was more or less the key everyone was missing, Palpatine clearly knew there was something there he just didn't know how to access it at first. I chalked it up to that, the Temple was known, but not the inner power itself, or how to even access the power and the true "inner" chamber of the Temple.

Well, considering it's an extra-dimensional portal that allows a Force user access to any point in space and time and considering how overly-cautious the Jedi Order can be, I can see why knowledge of the temple was "conveniently" forgotten by the Order.  It's not exactly something you want your average Jedi Padawan to be aware of.

I've never been exactly fond of the whole Mortis arc from Clone Wars ("despise" is probably a more accurate word).  So when I saw their portraits in this episode, I started getting seriously worried.

But their use here was acceptable.  Filoni was able to use them to close up a dangling plot thread from years ago (and at least cause that particular ending to make a little more sense).  It gave a nice growth moment for Ezra  (Seriously, who else could have given that message to Ezra about saving a master?).  And it gave them an excuse to bust Palpy out.

I can also see why someone referred to the episode as trippy;  those animated paintings really juxtaposed with the CGI characters.  But it did remind me of Anakin's vision/trial in the cave from Tartakovsky's Clone Wars Volume II.  And that's never a bad thing!

Last comment on it, that force dimensional portal is the Star Wars equivalent of a Nuclear weapon - no matter how "good" you are you will keep it for yourself and not forget about it.  Not using it at least for intelligence gathering stretches  the imagination.  An episode in specific about this temple, and maybe limiting it to the three people who made it having access, would tie up some loose ends.

Other than that it was a very good episode.  Ashoka certainly was the one to tell Ezra can't win em all.

^ Yes, but that scene was ambiguous enough that there was a lot of speculation regarding its significance, or whether that was her in the flesh or as a force ghost.  This last episode resolved those questions... and created whole new ones.

Holy crap, those last three episodes were fantastic, and agreed, handled REALLY well. A lot to unpack, I'd say overall...

Spoiler

I like how they handled Ezra's exit, it explains why he couldn't pop up in the big finale of the OT, but also makes him and Ahsoka available for further adventures and shows, Thrawn too! I liked how they handled Thrawn as well, arrogant, precise, and meticulous, up until he wasn't and had no more moves. The time jump was far larger then I expected, that was FA/TLJ timeline we saw, so Luke isn't the only "grey" jedi running around, even though technically speaking neither Ahsoka or Ezra were jedi, it's still REALLY cool. And Hera and Kanan's child? If you ever needed a new main character for a future show, there you go. Also, for me at least, this was awesome, totally confirmed, it WAS Rex on Endor! Filoni teased it a bit, he had that Rex in Endor concept art that he "accidentally" showed off at the latest Con, but there you go, "Hera and Rex participated in the battle of Endor", Rex would obviously be on the ground and Hera in space.https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Fb09iLnDmQg/maxresdefault.jpg

Overall, good stuff, well done Rebels. I'm glad Filoni and Co got to cap this one off unlike Clone Wars, we got answers, AND some possibilities for future story lines.

Just a beautiful ending.

Considering I wasn't exactly sold on Rebels when it first aired (Sith Inquisitor with a spinning lightsaber?!:rolleyes:), this show really stepped up its game.

A truly worthy successor to The Clone Wars.

Damn! What a great ending to the show!

Spoiler

Not only did we get the long awaited answers to why Kanan & Ezra are absent during the OT, but also to the age old question "Why wasn't Thrawn at Endor?"

I bet we'll pick up these threads with the new series, set some time between VI & VII.

Lot to unpack. Looks like the epilogue takes place shortly after ROTJ, but not too long. So, when did Kanan knock up Hera? Was she pregnant throughout the last half of the season? Of course, who knows how long Twi'leks take to gestate. Why would we have ever asked that question before? And now confirmed to be hybrid-capable with humans... That's a new wrinkle.

1 hour ago, Kelsain said:

Damn! What a great ending to the show!

Reveal hidden contents

Not only did we get the long awaited answers to why Kanan & Ezra are absent during the OT, but also to the age old question "Why wasn't Thrawn at Endor?"

I bet we'll pick up these threads with the new series, set some time between VI & VII.

Lot to unpack. Looks like the epilogue takes place shortly after ROTJ, but not too long. So, when did Kanan knock up Hera? Was she pregnant throughout the last half of the season? Of course, who knows how long Twi'leks take to gestate. Why would we have ever asked that question before? And now confirmed to be hybrid-capable with humans... That's a new wrinkle.

I believe in Clone Wars there was another family where the mother was Twilek and the father was human, they had a son and a daughter, the son human, the daughter Twilek. I'm not sure if that means males take on the father's species and females the mother's, or if it is just totally random. I always wondered the same thing about Mass Effect.

2 hours ago, Tking22 said:

I believe in Clone Wars there was another family where the mother was Twilek and the father was human, they had a son and a daughter, the son human, the daughter Twilek. I'm not sure if that means males take on the father's species and females the mother's, or if it is just totally random. I always wondered the same thing about Mass Effect.

I think that was the clone trooper that had deserted. I presumed that he was more of an adoptive father to the Twi’lek kids. IIRC, In Mass Effect, the Asari reproduced with a psychic connection with any other species, but the offspring are always Asari females.

8 minutes ago, Kelsain said:

I think that was the clone trooper that had deserted. I presumed that he was more of an adoptive father to the Twi’lek kids. IIRC, In Mass Effect, the Asari reproduced with a psychic connection with any other species, but the offspring are always Asari females.

It WAS the clone that defected! I remember! I don't remember if he was an adoptive parent or the real deal, I'll have to go back and watch, which after Rebels, I got a hankering for. As for Mass Effect, I knew about Asari, but I meant other species, the badass lizard guy from 2 mentioned another of his species that had a human wife, go figure.

Omg that emotional roller coaster for the finale... Shut up I'm not crying!  You're crying!

I can't WAIT to see what's next!!  I loved that show so much I hate to see it go but they have opened the door to exciting new things to look forward to thank goodness.

Initially I don't like the chracter design and the new animation style.

I Still don't like, but the ending, was great.

I hope the next animation gonna be better than Rebels in story.

Edited by Old_Nash

Watched the ending of rebels, overall quite a good ending, bitter sweet in some ways, and did, sort of, tie into the other films. Certain things were left open ended, which I liked, but I do have some critiques. 

I like that they left Ezra and Thrawn's fates open ended.
They needed to kill off more characters.
Why can they not kill off a certain character who should have died during Clone Wars to signal the beginning of Anakin's Fall?
Inter-species breeding? Come on. This is something in sci-fi that has always bugged me and until now has never been canon in SW.

So time to speculate on the next animated series:
1) An original trilogy era story following the rest of the rebellion (Rogue Squadron *crosses fingers*)
2) Sabine and Ahsoka searching for Ezra and creating a link to the new trilogy. If they do this, then Thrawn had better be alive too.