Strange enough I couldn't find a topic about this movie even though I've been following development of it for a while. So I'll post this trailer for Gravity, the next film by Alfonso Cuarón (who you might know as the director of Children of Men).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufsrgE0BYf0

I can't remember the last time I saw a trailer with this much tension in it. Very excited to see this film.

So this is an alternate history piece then right? Because we don't fly space shuttles anymore. Why not use the Orion capsule or one of the space taxis in development instead?

I got a very 2001 vibe from the title cards. Same font as that movie, same idea. This could be good.

I honestly don't see any similarity with 2001 at all. The trailer looks interesting but I have a feeling this will be a very somber movie that will require the right mood to watch.

No accounting for taste. :)

What? Its like someone took the first 2 minutes of Armageddon and decided to make a two hour movie of it. Quite frankly there's really not much of plot they can make with what we saw. Unless aliens magically show up to the rescue all those astronauts are dead, so we probly get some stupid flashback about how the woman became an astronaut as she halucinates slowly aspyxiating to death or burning up on re-entry.

What? Its like someone took the first 2 minutes of Armageddon and decided to make a two hour movie of it. Quite frankly there's really not much of plot they can make with what we saw. Unless aliens magically show up to the rescue all those astronauts are dead, so we probly get some stupid flashback about how the woman became an astronaut as she halucinates slowly aspyxiating to death or burning up on re-entry.

Armageddon? This is an Alfonso Cuaron film. Bay doesn't have half this guy's talent. And you're right, there isn't much plot that can be made out of this TEASER TRAILER.

Are you serious? I mean are you honest to god serious right now? Because if you are you're an idiot.

Are you serious? I mean are you honest to god serious right now? Because if you are you're an idiot.

Right, so I'm an idiot for being honest and not being impressed by a crappy shuttle disaster teaser trailer made by a guy whose other movie I couldn't care less for either.

And for the record I am not comparing Bay to Mr Melodrama Alfonso Cuaron, I'm just saying that there is a very similar scene in Armageddon where a space shuttle with astronauts EVA gets shredded by a meteor and that's what this trailer is exactly like. Neither makes me want to sit down and watch either film.

It's not really an action film, which is why some of you may think it's boring. Instead it's a mental thriller, I mean the entire trailer I kept thinking about the danger of floating into the endless space and suffocating slowly. In Armageddon the astronauts are cast away red shirts.

Looks interesting! Definitely gonna give this one a chance because I loved Children of Men.

Hell yeah, that was a great film. It's actually interesting how good Gravity looks yet it feels like a very different film with a completely different visual style. Very impressed so far.

Wow, that little trailer had me on the edge of my seat. I'm in.

This was my reaction as well. I was astounded how uneasy I felt watching just this trailer. I saw a comment on a film site that said; "Oh, this is what awe feels like" to illustrate how long it had been since a trailer has provoked the feeling so much and so well. I think I'm putting Gravity along side (perhaps above) the Man of Steel trailer #2 for best trailer of the year. Very impressed. Edited by Mr March

I honestly don't see any similarity with 2001 at all. The trailer looks interesting but I have a feeling this will be a very somber movie that will require the right mood to watch.

I haven't seen enough of the movie to make any sort of plot predictions or insults. I'll leave that for others :) The only reference I made to 2001 is the use of title cards and subtitles at the bottom of the screen. I swear, the subtitles used exactly the same font and sizing as 2001 did.

what idea would that be?

TITLE CARD "The Great Beyond" scene commences.

"In the sci-fi thriller, opening on October 4, Dr. Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) is a brilliant medical engineer on her first shuttle mission, with veteran astronaut Matt Kowalsky (George Clooney) in command of his last flight before retiring. But on a seemingly routine spacewalk, disaster strikes. The shuttle is destroyed, leaving Stone and Kowalsky completely alone--tethered to nothing but each other and spiraling out into the blackness. The deafening silence tells them they have lost any link to Earth...and any chance for rescue. As fear turns to panic, every gulp of air eats away at what little oxygen is left. But the only way home may be to go further out into the terrifying expanse of space."

gravitypostersmall.jpg

I haven't seen enough of the movie to make any sort of plot predictions or insults. I'll leave that for others :) The only reference I made to 2001 is the use of title cards and subtitles at the bottom of the screen. I swear, the subtitles used exactly the same font and sizing as 2001 did.

TITLE CARD "The Great Beyond" scene commences.

wait, you're comparing the two movies based on the font?

So... you're ignoring everything else then, right? Like the music, the tone, the emotion and purpose of the two movies. Just... the fonts. gotcha.

Why the vitriol about a movie you haven't even seen and only saw a minute and a half of in a teaser? Oh, internet, NEVER change :wub::wub:

Edited by xrentonx

wait, you're comparing the two movies based on the font?

So... you're ignoring everything else then, right? Like the music, the tone, the emotion and purpose of the two movies. Just... the fonts. gotcha.

There was no comparison meant at all. As I said, I haven't seen it yet beyond that teaser so there's nothing to compare TO.

All I said is that the title cards reminded me of the title cards used in 2001. That's it. Any further comparisons will have to wait until I've actually seen the film.

"In the sci-fi thriller, opening on October 4, Dr. Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) is a brilliant medical engineer on her first shuttle mission, with veteran astronaut Matt Kowalsky (George Clooney) in command of his last flight before retiring. But on a seemingly routine spacewalk, disaster strikes. The shuttle is destroyed, leaving Stone and Kowalsky completely alone--tethered to nothing but each other and spiraling out into the blackness. The deafening silence tells them they have lost any link to Earth...and any chance for rescue. As fear turns to panic, every gulp of air eats away at what little oxygen is left. But the only way home may be to go further out into the terrifying expanse of space."

gravitypostersmall.jpg

Sounds like the end of Dark Star, which was based on a Ray Bradbury short story........

All I know is that Alfonso Cuarón is a brilliant director, and that is enough to get me into the seat for this film despite what seems to be a cheesy premise.

If renegadeleader1 didn't like "Children of Men" (seriously?!?) then maybe this isn't going to be his cup of tea. However, AC is not a genre director, so one really shouldn't base an unseen opinion of one his films based on the experience of only a single other.

I do think this looks like a very interesting and psycholigically compelling movie, my biggest gripe with it is that they use the space shuttle instead of one of the in development space craft that are to replace it. Maybe that was NASA and the other companies not giving their support if they used the next gen capsules/space busses. That being said why include a US spacecraft all, why not just use the soyuz alone? Also there must be a lot more to the movie than just the disaster and waiting to die as you see Bullock in a US and Russian space suit, plus someone else in some other suit I don't recognize, but that looks more like an old type launch suit.