Max vs. Milia - FIGHT!  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Better Dogfight?

• SDFM
    • DYRL?

Thought this would be a good topic and comment generator. Which is the better Dog Fight between M&M: TV or DYRL? My Vote is below and both are available to view before you choose.

I cast my vote for T.V. You can't beat the casual one handed shots Max lays down while leaning back in a hover, or the split screen shot showing him throttle the HOTAS and the side vents vectoring with the head turret tilting up.

TV:

DYRL: http://youtu.be/nbRWMgh5FXc?t=24s

Edited by azrael

My fav is the video game battle on the TV version. That way he could savor the defeated look in her eyes and rub it in her face after the seperation.

Naw...you're all wrong! It's all about the badly animated knife fight! Ever wonder what Max's eye looks like if it was swallowed by his head? I don't!

Serious edit: TV dogfight...but Dyrl is also VERY fine!

Edited by xrentonx

Naw...you're all wrong! It's all about the badly animated knife fight! Ever wonder what Max's eye looks like if it was swallowed by his head? I don't!

I was just looking up the video for that to post.

that said, Max musing about Millia's breast size does win the arcade scene some bonus points.

Voted TV version... Love the DYRL but the fact that they went in to single out Max, Focker gets hit, reflection of Max's VF-1A off Millia's visor... So many things to list. But DYRL fight is no chopped liver.

SDFM for sure. You see the Rau in action for the first time. Roy gets smoked. Max kicks ass all around. My fave part is where Max shoots Milia in the back inside Mac City. Yeah...take that $&!?#.

The SDFM version, of course! For starters, it set the bar very high for all future anime (if you've seen "Otaku No Video" you'll understand). On top of that, the scene is essential for the overall story, concluding both story arcs leading up to it, and creating new ones following it.

The DYRL version, though excellently animated, can arguably be removed without much effect to the overall story of the movie. In fact, it leads to the one, great WTF moment of the movie: Max being turned into a giant and instantly knowing how to pilot a Zentraadi battlesuit! Nevermind the instant healing of Miria's combat wounds...

The SDFM version, of course! For starters, it set the bar very high for all future anime (if you've seen "Otaku No Video" you'll understand). On top of that, the scene is essential for the overall story, concluding both story arcs leading up to it, and creating new ones following it.

The DYRL version, though excellently animated, can arguably be removed without much effect to the overall story of the movie. In fact, it leads to the one, great WTF moment of the movie: Max being turned into a giant and instantly knowing how to pilot a Zentraadi battlesuit! Nevermind the instant healing of Miria's combat wounds...

Well...he is a Genius!

Also, always wondered about that...does the cloning process "fix" your medical issues? Or could they just not find a giant pair of glasses for Max? :rolleyes:

I voted SDFM. The DYRL version wasn't as much of a dogfight, as they pretty quickly took it close-quarters, whereas the SDFM was truly an aerial dogfight. I also think they demonstrated the acrobatic nature of Max's flying style better in the SDFM version.

Also, always wondered about that...does the cloning process "fix" your medical issues? Or could they just not find a giant pair of glasses for Max? :rolleyes:

But then, why would he need glasses when he was returned to micron size in M7?

Ah, nevermind that, as it opens a can of worms about what is the "real" Macross - and this is despite MC clarifying the shape of Exedore's head in M7 (apparently one can manipulate one's DNA in the process. BUT Max still needs glasses...)

I thought Max wears glasses to look fashionable just like Nanase.

LOL....that would explain it I guess.....funny how I just assumed that since he wears them all the time they were Rx glasses..... :wacko:

But then, why would he need glasses when he was returned to micron size in M7?

Ah, nevermind that, as it opens a can of worms about what is the "real" Macross - and this is despite MC clarifying the shape of Exedore's head in M7 (apparently one can manipulate one's DNA in the process. BUT Max still needs glasses...)

In your research/translations....what exactly happens to the "original" body after going through the process (in either direction)?....maybe this belongs in another thread.....

Edited by jvmacross

*ahem* *I* translated that one, thanks very much... :p

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=28072&page=2#entry680780

Ah..thanks....however, I didn't read anything about what happens to the original body...I guess what I am trying to find out is....after going through the "process"....do you remain intact? Can you then interact with your micro/macro-nized self? Is it an exact duplicate? Or does the process just "create the flesh" and "uploads" your brain's "data" into it`???

Ah..thanks....however, I didn't read anything about what happens to the original body...I guess what I am trying to find out is....after going through the "process"....do you remain intact? Can you then interact with your micro/macro-nized self? Is it an exact duplicate? Or does the process just "create the flesh" and "uploads" your brain's "data" into it`???

There's no info other than what we see in the TV series (and that would be SDFM and MF).

thanks...oh, BTW...are Max's glasses Rx or Fashion? Or has that also not been made clear?

Not that I've ever seen.

Nanase's, however, are DEFINITELY only for fashion. Kawamori said so.

(EDIT: Unless that was more Shaloom nonsense... I can't recall, alas.)

Edited by Gubaba

Sort of surprised at the results of the poll so far...thought it would be pretty much tied.....maybe it's all the residual SDFM 30th anniversary nostalgia from 2012! ^_^

Maybe we can resurrect the poll in 2014, when Arcadia and Bandai flood the market with all their re-issued DYRL 30th Anniversary junk!!! :p

Edited by jvmacross

... when Arcadia and Bandai flood the market with all their re-issued DYRL 30th Anniversary junk!!! :p

Pray for it, friend; Pray for it... :)

Edited by Shaorin

I'm part of the DYRL faction! The reason why I like the DYRL fight better is because Max and Milia are more evenly matched. In the SDFM version, the fight was too one-sided for me.

That's actually why I prefer the SDFM version, among other reasons. Milia always struck me as being rather arrogant, whereas Max was more humble, so I liked that she got a thorough beating. It also served to accentuate how talented Max really is, that he could easily handle the Zentraedi's most capable pilot. I know everybody is into imperfect heroes that can be beaten, but sometimes it's nice to have a badass hero that nobody can touch. :)