We've all discussed Arcadia and 1/60's... How about the 1/48s?

Gakken85

I like the 1/60 V2's and I love them but my point is that just because they are better doesnt make the 1/48 ugly. Its like people who have the latest Corvette calling the previous generation ugly. The 1/48's do have their flaws which I do agree with but to stick them in the same category as the Toynami 1/55's (these things had major problems and did not look accurate at all) isnt right. I still consider the 1/48's classic pieces and still look great flaws and all and will have a good place in Macross toy history.

8 out of 10 lady Valkyries prefer 1/48 noses to 1/55 or 1/60.

post-15125-0-22745600-1368288484_thumb.jpg

Edited by Valkyrie Magnus

Oh yeah...the 1/48s are certainly not ugly. I love the way they look (inaccuracies and all) and I'm keeping the one I have for good. I still agree that the 1/60 looks better over all though. The 1/55s are certainly ugly and the only thing they got going for them is nostalgia.

First time i've read through this thread coz it seemed pretty obvious that it's going to be 1/60 all the way...

It's funny though, everything that's being said here is pretty much exactly what people were saying way back in '08 during the initial release of the 1/60 v.2 VF-1s.

First time i've read through this thread coz it seemed pretty obvious that it's going to be 1/60 all the way...

It's funny though, everything that's being said here is pretty much exactly what people were saying way back in '08 during the initial release of the 1/60 v.2 VF-1s.

There is nothing new under the sun.

I like the 1/60 V2's and I love them but my point is that just because they are better doesnt make the 1/48 ugly. Its like people who have the latest Corvette calling the previous generation ugly. The 1/48's do have their flaws which I do agree with but to stick them in the same category as the Toynami 1/55's (these things had major problems and did not look accurate at all) isnt right. I still consider the 1/48's classic pieces and still look great flaws and all and will have a good place in Macross toy history.

8 out of 10 lady Valkyries prefer 1/48 noses to 1/55 or 1/60.

Haha. They display better. That's a fact.

It's funny that people complain about accuracy when a lot of times in the SDFM the proportions were way off from scene to scene. It's like in the show or even DYRL they were computer generated with specific sizes.

Nope. It was hand drawn and there was tons of Thick legs and bigger chests.

Robotech-anime-30552384-527-354.jpg

OH NOES! His legs r too big.

the 1/48's have faults, no doubt. But they are fantastic toys. With anything, collect what makes you happy.

Sure but when most people talk about accuracy, they're talking about line art from the designer...not the cartoon.

No facts! Only opinions! ;)

Edited by xrentonx

Sure but when most people talk about accuracy, they're talking about line art from the designer...not the cartoon.

No facts! Only opinions! ;)

:)

Thank god Macross is not Transformers. *shutter*

Edited by Scyla

That's true, obviously. But my point is that the Line art is kind of a reference for what we actually saw in the show and the movie. Line art accuracy is important, but having a fun and attractive toy trumps super strict line art IMO.

Probably a picture that didn't use forced perspective would have been better as an example. I've never been an "anime accuracy" Nazi so I agree to a point but there's certainly a standard that should be met. Otherwise why bother with improvements at all when we could be buying 1/55 or those 1/100 until we're old and grey? :)

Line art accuracy is important, but having a fun and attractive toy trumps super strict line art IMO.

Agreed. I collect whatever I want, line-art accurate or not. I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

• 3 years later...

Although 1/48 seems to be dead, I wonder why Yamato never released a VE-1 or VT-1 in that scale? I had the Bandai 1/55 ones back in the early 80's and all my friends who knew anything about the series wanted one of each. Maybe Arcadia-Yamato will surprise us on the 50'th anna....?

Edited by grogall

I thought I saw conversions done but I don't remember the details :lol:

Yamato seemed to feel that the 1/60 v2 scale was a better bet for a completed line and I agree. The prices would have been astronomical on the 1/48 line as the prices were going up, and I think the 1/60 v2 line was a huge improvement overall. I also remember something about the 1/48 molds being done and possibly overused. I don't think Arcadia acquired them during the Yamato liquidation sale. 

Edited by Loop

I will never forgive yamato for not making a VF-1S max and and a VT-1 Ostrich in the 1/48 line. They would have looked awesome. And i always felt the 1/60 v2 was a step back compared to them. Now i know that we will never see again any 1/48 valks but i am still very proud of them and they will always have a special place in my heart and on my shelves

Not really a technical reason but a lack of forethought that would have made it more costly. The original plan for the 1/48 mold was very tentative and they never though they'd make any where near as many variants as they did. It was going to be the few most popular valks (all 1 seaters) so they never worked out the geometry or tried to make the design in such a way that the items unique to 2 seaters would involve as few new parts as possible. As they started making more variants and new toys like the 1/60 Mac+ and MacZero line, it was obvious that they needed to do a better 1/60 VF-1. The goal with the 1/60V2 was never as tentative as it had been with the 1/48, from the outset they wanted to make every variant. With the 1/48 line they could have created some new molds to make the parts specific to the 2 seaters but they were already designing the 1/60V2 and they had no desire to compete with themselves in the VF-1 market. So, instead of investing more in the 1/48 line they went all-in on the 1/60 V2. It was later said a 1/48 V2 was off the table due to the sky-rocketing costs that would be involved in such an endeavor. They have since said that the 1/48 molds are no longer serviceable so the line is entirely dead.