We've all discussed Arcadia and 1/60's... How about the 1/48s?

Gakken85

I have a feeling that Arcadia won't touch the 1/48 molds if they do decide to go in the TF market.

Whats your sense on the future of the 1/48 scale line?

Maybe Bandai will get the rights to it? Or will it stay a Yamato niche for a long time to come?

Yeah, they are even harder to find during the great panic of 2013 than anything else! haha.

I actually managed to get a way under valued 1/48 VF-1A Max TV Chronicles brand new in box during the great panic of 2013.

If I could get my hands on a 1/48 TV Max and Kakizaki for a decent price I wouldn't need any V.2's. Then again, I'd still buy the V.2's. So eh.

Edited by Benson13

I own one 1/48 and that is the DYRL Focker. I also own the Stealth Strike Packs for it and it looks awesome with those packs. That said, I can't see myself buying more 1/48 since my collection is all 1/60 at this point.

...famous last words :)

The 1/48 line lives within the confines of Macross Chronicle exclusives....now that the hope for the return of the PT valk line from Arcadia seems less of a fool's hope...I am crossing my fingers that we may see more 1/48 exclusives before the magazine hits the 80 mark......(VF-1S TV Fokker, VF-1A Mass Production...VF-1D????....How about a Macross the First repaint?)

Edited by jvmacross

I like having a mix of both.

I think the 1/60's V2's are a more solid and flawless toy, but the 1/48's are more fun to transform and look fantastic.

I'm trying to buy up a few that are on my radar :D

Guest davidwhangchoi

i have 4 1/48's

low viz 1 in bubble wrap

stealth in saran wrap

roy vf-1s sealed

and a max super which i opened but never transformed.

and the urban camo gpb armor.

i love gimmicks, and the thing i love of the 1/48 (but it's a double edge sword) was every missile can be removed independently in the armor and the super and strike parts (though that's more of a hassle)

love the nose cone removal as well as the wing flaps move but it's prob less of a toy to play with and more of display toy with those fragile gimmicks...

i wished the missiles could be removed on the 1/60 armor (though it prob would've been a mess)

the only issue i have with the 1/48 is the nose is too long in battroid making it look weird. but the fighter mode is very impressive.

I have three 1/48s: Focker, TV Hikaru and the Stealth all with FPs. A fully dressed 1/48 is really something to behold but there are elements of these models that really detract from the overall visual display impact. For me it's the crappy wing pylon mounts and the lack of commonly Tampo printed markings like we now have on the V2 1/60s.

The fighter looks amazing all right, but the 1/60 V2s with all the improvements / lessons learned just have their larger counterparts beat hands down IMO.I don't think I'd buy a new 1/48 V2 Valk. Hell, I'm not even sure what to do with the ones I've got now. All my 1/48s are boxed as they're just too big to display for the space that I've got.

Edited by Deadeye_281

I bought a total of 3 1/48s during their time. two low vis v.1, and 1 Fokker weathered. All were sold afterward. I hope they don't return. 1/60 was a perfectly fine scale, and anything bigger is just extra money, IMO.

I think it's kind of silly to say it's too big. Nobody complained that Jetfire was too big, or complained about the size of the chunky monkey and it's one of the classic toys of the last 30 years.

If you have space/money limitations the 1/60 is def a better choice, but these days the 1/60s are about as expensive. I'd say you can find some 1/48s cheaper than 1/60s! haha.

Edited by Gakken85

I think it's kind of silly to say it's too big. Nobody complained that Jetfire was too big, or complained about the size of the chunky monkey and it's one of the classic toys of the last 30 years.

If you have space/money limitations the 1/60 is def a better choice, but these days the 1/60s are about as expensive. I'd say you can find some 1/48s cheaper than 1/60s! haha.

I'd say it's a valid concern and not silly for people with limited space though. The VF-1s at 1/48 are still a manageable size for most people, I think. It's a whole different thing when we're talking about expanding beyond the VF-1 to the other Valks which would be huge. VF-0 would be enormous, for example.

When choosing scale, I would hope that Arcadia takes into account the feasibility of making a lot of different Valks in whatever scale they go with (not just the VF-1 and that's it). This includes all of the different color variations, head variations, and loadouts. Macross is strange because this is almost expected at this point. Not many other properties have fans who are willing to buy the exact same mold but in a slightly different color variation. At least not to the level that us Macross fans are accustomed to. The bigger the scale the harder it would be for us to see anything outside of the VF-1 and that's the whole point. 1/60 scale allowed them to go beyond just the VF-1.

The problem with moving to any other scale is the existing "installed base" of 1/60 Valks. This goes for both Yamato and Bandai. The variety of Valks already available and existing in most collections is 1/60. I made this same argument with 1/72 scale. It's an uphill battle with buyer's existing expectations. There are still a lot of Valks I'd like to see in 1/60. VF-2SS, where are you? :(

I think what would work is a one-off type of deal where they make a PERFECT edition with all the works and trimmings. They choose one scheme and that's it. No other variations. The Valk would have to be big and super detailed beyond anything we've ever seen before. It would be expensive but there would be only one version of it so most people would only feel the need to own one or two and that's it.

THAT I would buy.

A 1/48 VF-1S (preferably Focker DYRL but I'll take Hikaru DYRL), die-cast where applicable and where it makes sense, details all over the place, opening and removable panels that lock in place, include J and A heads (both versions of A heads!), include Strike packs (and conversion to regular Super packs -Focker scheme makes the most sense here), all missiles (individually removable), tampo prints all over, etc. Release the Full Armor parts later as a purchasable add-on and we're done. They don't need to release any other versions unless it makes sense financially. Let the fans complain all they want that their favorite scheme wasn't chosen...ONE VERSION. Let the community do fan mods if they want but there's only gonna be one version released and sold. Next obvious choice would probably be the YF-19 and Y-21. Then they would likely stop after those two.

Edited by xrentonx

the 1/48's also have inferior sculpts in every mode to the 1/60 v2's; so there's that.

Idk about that. Something about the 1/60.. it seems really naked and skinny in Battroid mode. The proportions are nice... but without super/strike packs it's really lacking. The 1/48 feels a lot more impressive on it's own, though the details and overall sculpt might not be as exact or as tight.

Xrentonx - I agree with a lot of your points. A deluxe 1/48 to rule them all would be a great collectors item, instead of just a mass produced line.

If you look at the amount of gimmicks and detail that Takara is doing with the masterpiece line, I don't think it's impossible.

Edited by Gakken85

Honestly, I love the presence of a 1/48 on the shelf. I have 3 (dyrl focker with strike part, a super vf-1j mirria, and a custom 1/48 based "mp jetfire"). They have some cool gimmicks for sure and they look awesome on the shelf but honestly the 1/60's just feel that much better in hand (if a bit small). I'd be up for a rebooted redesigned 1/48 maybe...i'd by a couple probably but i can't see recollectng evey valk i have in 1/60 again since i went all in on the 1/60 v2 (bought almost ever single deco i like) even if it was as solid as the 1/60 (or better) and had the presence and gimmicks of a an old 1/48 (or better). Who knows though?

A 1/48 makes for a great display piece because of it's size, detail and gimmicks. It is for these reasons that all of mine are out on display. It's a shame to leave something so beautiful sitting inside a box in storage or in a closet. So, if for some reason ARCADIA decides to bring this line back to life (which is probably not likely), I would want to pick up a couple more to add to my collection.

It would be expensive for sure but how expensive, I don't know...

It wouldn't be $900 dollars. haha.

I think it just needs some minor tweaks to make it just as tight as the 1/60. It's virtually the same toy so the blueprint is already there. I think the best chance to see a 1/48 line is if the Robotech movie gets made. haha.

Edited by Gakken85

I love the 1/48 yamatos. It'd be cool to see a new mold with improvements like tampo printing (using decals sucks). More imprtantly they need to fix the way the front booms connect on the fast packs. They are always falling out.

Yeah the super parts are just too damn heavy. They should redesign those completely. I think they just put too much weight in the boosters. I'd rather see a lighter plastic design with less diecast.

I've never bought any 1/48 VF-1, but the 1/48 is dead and never returned for good. Like many folks have discussed in other threads, 1/60 scale is the way to go in term of production costs and size for the rest of the line.

My first Yamato product ever purchased was the Roy 1:48 DYRL. At the time I thought it was the coolest thing on earth. That was before the 1:60ver.2 came along. It's the only 1:48 I have and I almost put it up for sale right before the "Great Panic of 2013". But it's in the box in the closet now along with it's super/strike parts and GBP armor, so I think I'll just let it kinda hang out there for now. ^_^

Bigger is better? :D

i have 4 1/48's

the only issue i have with the 1/48 is the nose is too long in battroid making it look weird. but the fighter mode is very impressive.

You don't hear the lady Valkyrie's complaining

I'd love to see more 1/48's. I'm apparently a misfit as I've never been big on the 1/60's as they're a bit on the small side.

Sadly, I have no 1/48's but it's pretty high on my list to pick at least one up in the relatively near future.