Arcadia gives some hope!!!

Cdisdope

stickers of markings you can add=additional stickers. so that's really semantics. btw yeah i've heard one of the podcasts before but don't see how that's relevant to anything.

No, it's a crucial detail. You didn't write additional stickers, you wrote additional markings. If that was actually in the text, the implication would be that there are definitely markings on the valk itself already, and you can add additional ones, whereas that connotation is not there in the original text.

And I only brought up the podcast so that you would have a chance to get to know who we are and what we do, before making blanket statements like "a gaijin in Tokyo". I'd rather help to contribute and collaborate and not have my input be ignored just because it appears I'm wearing the "I live in Japan" badge of misguided honour. I don't like to talk about myself much, but I've been speaking, reading and writing Japanese for 15 years, I did a postgraduate degree here and wrote my thesis and other academic publications in Japanese and teach at a Japanese university in Japanese, so if you don't like my input, that's OK -- could you just choose a better reason, please? It's not even the word "gaijin", it's the insinuation that I somehow think I'm better just because "I'm here and you're not". I'm just trying to help, man.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I can't wait anymore, damn Arcadia, release more news of other valks. or i'm going to be fighting over every little detail. I'm waiting for the box art to show up so we can compare it to yamato's and debate which is better. i hope the box art has the 30th sticker plopped on the box and not part of the box art itself. That way we can say how crappy it is... :)

I can't wait anymore, damn Arcadia, release more news of other valks. or i'm going to be fighting over every little detail. I'm waiting for the box art to show up so we can compare it to yamato's and debate which is better. i hope the box art has the 30th sticker plopped on the box and not part of the box art itself. That way we can say how crappy it is... :)

I would say Mr. K's Twitter account is one to watch. He has been responding relatively candidly to tweets -- the other day somebody asked him if Arcadia would release a VF-4G and he simply responded that it was "up to the licensor" (BigWest).

As for the box art, maybe it's similar to this?

http://arcadia.ac/macross30th/wall/index.php

Guest davidwhangchoi

jk, of course, but i'm grateful of even these arguments over the accuracy over speculation which helps us all. So much thanks to you , cdiscope, kyekye as well as everyone who has a healthy dose of skepticism of believing anything until it's confirmed. i know you may feel flustered that people may not accept your translations re: the tampo and decal translations. i think it's bc of the minmay guard hoax that happened. so i hope you guys keep up the translation and allow us to be skeptical as well until we actually see the valks as i got 140 plus shipping vested in it and would like to know for sure what's tampo'd or not:)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

jk, of course, but i'm grateful even the arguments is over the accuracy over speculation which helps us all. So much thanks to you , cdiscope, kyekye as well as everyone who has a healthy dose of skepticism of believing anything until it's confirmed. i know you may feel flustered that people may not accept your translations re: the tampo and decal translations. i think it's bc of the minmay guard hoax that happened. so i hope you guys keep up the translation and allow us to be skeptical as well until we actually see the valks as i got 140 plus shipping vested in it and would like to know for sure what's tampo'd or not:)

I know, it really is shockingly expensive, especially considering that it is not going to be fully tampo-ed and we don't know exactly what will be or won't.

What we do know is that at least the small logos, you will have to apply yourself. The reason for this is that it would be prohibitively expensive otherwise. Mr. K goes into detail here regarding the Tampo printing process, giving us hints as to why they went the route they did:

http://arcadia.ac/macross30th/diary/01/page_07.php

Since every colour has to be printed separately in stages, if you were to print just the tiny Frontier logo, you would need to first print the large red "F" in the background of the logo, and then overlay the マクロス (Macross) title over it. Chances are, the bold red of the F would still be visible underneath, so you would have to print the "Macross" once again. Then overlay the gradients, etc... All the while making sure that the positioning is precise to a fraction of a millimetre, considering the tiny size of each logo! And then you have to multiply that by the number of all the logos on the chest and legs...

Considering all of that, plus the fact that some people may want to enjoy the Valk without the logos, the decision was made to make them as stickers and decals. He says he realizes that it may be cumbersome for some people to have to apply all these stickers...

Well, while I'm not exactly tripping over myself to buy this one, I would definitely like to be able to pick which logos go over the stripes. Being able to do so would make me much more likely to buy one, assuming we get confirmation before the orders close up. ^_^

Thank Renato! Your clarification is appreciated! I'm expecting to see the first pictures of the tampo production colors, post release! That, was typical for yamato, and I'm not expecting Arcadia to be different! I am going to leave off the waterside logos anyhow... I really do see this scheme as similar to the modern vinyl toys movement with toys as modern art. If Metal box can, they should have this paint job for their kit!

Considering all of that, plus the fact that some people may want to enjoy the Valk without the logos, the decision was made to make them as stickers and decals. He says he realizes that it may be cumbersome for some people to have to apply all these stickers...

I'm quite pleased about this, especially since I revile Macross 7 and wouldn't want its logo on my Valk. I think the unit will look much better without all the logos as well.

Just a few months ago, people were all devastated that Arcadia wouldn't continue the Macross line. And now that they are, people complain about what they're offering. THAT'S what is ridiculous.

'This. Support the franchise you asshats.

Hey guys. I went to ths Volks in Akihabara today and actually saw the valk on display. I took a picture but I cannot figure out how to post pictures in forums. Anyway I can confirm that all the logos that appear in photos are painted on and all the stripes too. You can believe me or not but I did take a good look at it. The other thing I noticed was that because the valk is painted in many colors you could already see on the display model that the paint was chipping where there were hinges especially with the black paint on the backpack hinges. Not only this but the paint seemed to bleeding on the fuselage due to all the rainbow pin stripping. I have to say I was but turned off. I will try to post a picture If I can.

Edited by Plasticgoose

I'll support when they make valks I'm interested in. I did preorder this, but really some of you need to shave off that antagonistic attitude towards other fans with different opinions. It's not like we're given free valks after all, they are purchased with hard earned money.

Hey guys. I went to ths Volks in Akihabara today and actually saw the valk on display. I took a picture but I cannot figure out how to post pictures in forums. Anyway I can confirm that all the logos that appear in photos are painted on and all the stripes too. You can believe me or not but I did take a good look at it. The other thing I noticed was that because the valk is painted in many colors you could already see on the display model that the paint was chipping where there were hinges especially with the black paint on the backpack hinges. Not only this but the paint seemed to bleeding on the fuselage due to all the rainbow pin stripping. I have to say I was but turned off. I will try to post a picture If I can.

I haven't seen it in person, but there is the possibility that it's just a painted prototype.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I'll support when they make valks I'm interested in. I did preorder this, but really some of you need to shave off that antagonistic attitude towards other fans with different opinions. It's not like we're given free valks after all, they are purchased with hard earned money.

don't respond to thread crapping or trollish comments (edited: i don't want to name call myself, apologies), not worth the time, especially if they jump in and their posts don't value respecting other members by posting name calling. Even if there are strong disagreements, mostly everyone else is just expressing their opinions freely and respectfully without stooping low to name calling.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

No, it's a crucial detail. You didn't write additional stickers, you wrote additional markings. If that was actually in the text, the implication would be that there are definitely markings on the valk itself already, and you can add additional ones, whereas that connotation is not there in the original text.

And I only brought up the podcast so that you would have a chance to get to know who we are and what we do, before making blanket statements like "a gaijin in Tokyo". I'd rather help to contribute and collaborate and not have my input be ignored just because it appears I'm wearing the "I live in Japan" badge of misguided honour. I don't like to talk about myself much, but I've been speaking, reading and writing Japanese for 15 years, I did a postgraduate degree here and wrote my thesis and other academic publications in Japanese and teach at a Japanese university in Japanese, so if you don't like my input, that's OK -- could you just choose a better reason, please? It's not even the word "gaijin", it's the insinuation that I somehow think I'm better just because "I'm here and you're not". I'm just trying to help, man.

i'm really not trying to insinuate anything or disrespect anybody, and although i don't post much i've actually been a member here since '00 so i know all about you and shawn and graham and respect what you do. Just as a japanese citizen who's spoken japanese all of my life and not just 15 years, i don't like it when non-japanese try to correct my japanese assuming that i'm not japanese and their japanese is better than mine, just because i type good english. That is all, don't take it personal.

Gaijin, Nihonjin, Uchujin, Kyojin..

Dudes stop arguing about language and help me understand some stuff..

#1 (question for modelers) This is close up image of latest mock-up used for product promotion. Probably they used sticker decal.

My question is that the logos are 'white-backing' on black paint. Don't they usually use 2 layers to do this with water-slide decal?

8985516532_14e935ef36_z.jpg

(image borrowed from master file blog)

#2nd question (for Japanese readers)

This is from group 'try-out(?)' with new Arcadia VF-1. I think highlighted comment implies the '30th Anniversary' logo is indeed decal? Can someone else confirm?

8984322131_5334f12528_b.jpg

#3rd question (also for Japanese readers)

From production diary, It says 'Mr-K'. but also says '2nd generation Mr.-K' (or 2nd Mr.-K). Also, he mentions about 'previous person in charge of this project getting license.

Is this Mr.-K the same 'Mr-K' from Yamato?

8984321901_167e1758ae_o.jpg

That's all for my questions. Let's do some healthy discussion here.

Lastly, here is a photo someone mentioned on Volks display today. Looks fine for prototype mock-up.

8984322021_a827b38869_o.jpg

Edited by kyekye

Awesome kyekye, why do you ask input from modeller if you yourself are a monster of a modeller?

Anyway, my small input. I have to agree with what Renato posted and your pictures. The different Macross franchise logos appear to be stickers because they look very very crisp, compared with the tampo around that you can noticed (and in all your Yamato valks), the tampo always leave a little "bleeding" on the edges and is not 100% crisp like a waterslide decal. But in your picture they appear like regular decal stikers because they are not set trough the panel lines.

Sometimes two layers for white is used if the background is very dark for waterslide decals. But they waterslide decals I've used on that comes with the yamato kits the white is pretty good and does not require the two layer like on Hasegawa's kits.

Umm...I think the company that made the decals is an italian one that's famous for the best waterslide decals around.

I do hope the big 30th logo on the back is tampo. Gonna be a pain to put on.

But I am thankful the franchise logos will appear to be decals, will have a total blast burning to hell the Macross 7 logos.

This thing is actually growing on me and I may keep my preorder yet! I'd prefer the big logo and everything else to be tampoed and the rest of the small show logos as stickers/decals though.

Gaijin, Nihonjin, Uchujin, Kyojin..

Dudes stop arguing about language and help me understand some stuff..

#1 (question for modelers) This is close up image of latest mock-up used for product promotion. Probably they used sticker decal.

My question is that the logos are 'white-backing' on black paint. Don't they usually use 2 layers to do this with water-slide decal?

8985516532_14e935ef36_z.jpg

(image borrowed from master file blog)

#2nd question (for Japanese readers)

This is from group 'try-out(?)' with new Arcadia VF-1. I think highlighted comment implies the '30th Anniversary' logo is indeed decal? Can someone else confirm?

8984322131_5334f12528_b.jpg

#3rd question (also for Japanese readers)

From production diary, It says 'Mr-K'. but also says '2nd generation Mr.-K' (or 2nd Mr.-K). Also, he mentions about 'previous person in charge of this project getting license.

Is this Mr.-K the same 'Mr-K' from Yamato?

8984321901_167e1758ae_o.jpg

That's all for my questions. Let's do some healthy discussion here.

Lastly, here is a photo someone mentioned on Volks display today. Looks fine for prototype mock-up.

8984322021_a827b38869_o.jpg

I took the same picture at the same store. Some one mentioned that this was a prepainted model and this could be true but I do see in your picture the paint chipping on the backpack hinge. Everything looks like it is painted on. I will probably get this to show my support hoping Arcadia releases more. Regardless, I feel like it would not be in the best interest of Arcadia to just release this one valk. They must have more in the pipeline.

So you expect people who don't like a scheme to buy it..? At an inflated price even?

So does this mean you have every Valkyrie that's ever been released? Seeing as you "support the franchise"? All the weathering editions etc too?

My opinion on this whole thing:

They are a business and business is risky. If they want to take a risk this is their choice. You don't get to put others on a guilt trip if they decide to skip on a toy that they aren't too crazy for.

We as fans = license to print money imo (they just need to estimate how much we are willing to pay and try not to overproduce so they end up inadvertently hurting themselves)

I am happy to pay high price for whatever they make, but if I do decide to buy it, it isn't out of charity because I feel like I am donating to a cause. It will be because I see value in the product they make. That's how I think business should be anyway.

If you make something really good and nobody can afford it, (some of us complain about price here) or you make something that isn't in high demand, then you have yourself to blame if you didn't succeed in profiting.

I can only speak for myself but that is how I feel about it. Sorry if that offends those of you who disagree and think we should bow down to the toy company out of respect for making things, but that is the reality of life and you need to learn that lesson. Everyone has different tastes and we should tolerate the differences. :p

For instance I skipped the yamato Fire Valk but I can appreciate it from afar (just not enough to want to own it). I don't have to own one to prove I support the company. I have lots of other stuff which I DID like that I spent money on because I WANTED to, not because I felt a DUTY to pay for it as proof I am a "supporter".

Some of us need to stop calling others names like "asshats" and please check yourself. Look in the mirror for crying out loud. There are loads of people who do want to support but have a tighter budget than you and may work hard too, so they got to be selective over which things they can buy. Me personally? As much as I like macross I know I can't own multiples of things like some others and to compensate we try to limit myself to the stuff we really like. (VF-4 is one instance here: as much as I would like to have 2, it is out of my price range) Please take this into mind in future. There is also the issue of space: some of us have lots of toys already that we paid for, and no space to display everything. (I think this can be solved when arcadia/yamato learn to make the boxes *smaller however)

*I suggest they go into the world of "build it yourself" line of valk toys and see how that goes. It might bring price down and allow more compact packaging? Imagine if they gave you the option to choose the head type and switch it around? Release a low viz VF-1 and multiple heads. Also disassembling one easily means you can fit more in your house. :p Personally I think that is what they should have done with destroids.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

yup, people do what they do and entities do what they do. differences are what makes the world interesting. ain't nothin' wrong with with havin' you're own opinons but minding other peps' is annoying. it's not like we're talking about commiting crimes against humanity here.

anyhow, this VF-1 has grown on me... maybe i'll get one... when? how? don't know.

Arcadia could have released virtually any other scheme, canon re-release or non-canon, and I would totally buy it. But this ugly thing? No. I just can't stand the look of it. Now that Blue Rose custom, hot damn I would pre-order multiples of that.

indeed, Low-Viz Lurker. i myself am EXTREMELY tight of funds ALL of the time.

there are a good several Yammie Valks i would have really liked to have owned by now, but have pretty much missed the boat on obtaining

at anything like a price i could even dangerously stretch myself to afford.

i've had to restrain myself to top favorites exclusively, and that has certainly kept fat out of my collection for certain, much as i would have loved

to have half the surplus that some of my more esteemed fellow fans here do.

alas, it has taken every bit of my exceedingly limited means and then some to get where i am today, and that sure does make what little i actually have all the more precious...

Edited by Shaorin