Yamato 1/60 VF-1 Kit Custom/Detailing by Kye

kyekye

Which one will this be in the end?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. I have some more time to decide if this will be VF-1S Focker Strike or VF-1S Hikaru Strike before mid-painting/decal pass. Please help me choose one!

• VF-1S Focker Strike Pack DYRL
    • VF-1S Hikaru Strike Pack DYRL

Awesome work kye! I aways wanted to do something like that, but never have the time or telent. Hopefully one day I will have the gut to try and do some custome.

I also admire everyone here at MW, so many talented folks here!

I'm really impressed that you got a 1/1 scale figure to match his height perfectly.

Haha I paid extra attention to make him shorter than regular 1/6 scale figures!!

:lol:What? You mean you have a life aside your hobby? ;)

We'll wait, I think no one here wants to see the project spoiled.

Man.. I have too many hobbies aside from this model building.. Sometimes it worries me when I see my mancave.

Awesome work kye! I aways wanted to do something like that, but never have the time or telent. Hopefully one day I will have the gut to try and do some custome.

I also admire everyone here at MW, so many talented folks here!

Starting is important. Once you start, you can't stop! :ph34r:

3-day weekend is over now and it's time for update!

I thought I spent good amount of time on it. but the progress doesn't look much.. so many small details! (and I spent some time doing family thingy and watch movies and play some games..etc)

Anyways, I added a little more detail here and there on the cockpit. Also tried Vernier thruster detail up. Originally I was gonna use metal vernier parts for this, but tried plastic version for the front one (+ small metal part)

8865523387_31758e8a02_b.jpg

I'm waiting for some material delivery for cockpit and canopy, so I jumped to the next part. -Head!!

My goal is to add eye/visor detail + LED light, and add 1 more neck joint. You can see where it's going below..

Clear Visor part will be done with canopy when the material gets delivered

8865523237_8edcc12a14_b.jpg

Quick LED and wiring test. Also notice the sensor slot on the forehead.

Added metal tube and metal pin for detail up and increased parts strength on the Head Laser Cannon. (I always scared of rotating them when transforming it) Also drilled tiny holes at the tip of laser.

8866130472_0718f7af96_b.jpg

I spent some time making silicon molds and parts copies for next step.

*notice the copy of shoulder hinge? - Now I can make endless supply!! (For this custom, I'm gonna strengthen it with metal sheets so that I won't need to worry about broken shoulder.)

I wanted to add some mechanical details on one side of leg (like 1/48 Hasegawa model), but the sliding structure of inside the leg parts are too delicate and complicated. So I decided to do only the lower portion.

I'll scratch build the inside mechanical parts and attach the cover with magnet later.

8866129848_d48790bbf4_b.jpg

That's all for this weekend! Thanks for checking it out!~

Edited by kyekye

How are you going to power all of these LED's? Switches are going to have to be hidden EVERYWHERE!

I have a collection of tiny switches of all types :ph34r: I have some good ideas about where and how to place them. but can't say if it works until I actually try it.

Looking more and more awesome by the week. ^_^

I don't know how complicated it might get, or how well it might work from an electrical standpoint, but it could be fun to have a couple master switches in hidden places, and then rig several lights to go on or off during various stages of transformation.

The easiest ones I can think of would be the tails, where you could probably rig contacts into the pivots so the lights only go on when the tails are unfolded. You might be able to do something similar for the wings, depending on how your plan to have them extend/collapse works.

The head, you could probably make a contact in the back of the nose section that would power it when folded into battroid position. Same for the nose gear once it's extended.

I dont know if little metal contacts would be easier than wires, but I think they might simplify the process of getting power shared amongst all the moving parts, plus help deactivate lights that you might not want turned on if they're hidden.

Edited by Chronocidal

Aaawww!!!

You made an eye for the head and you even drilled holes in the antennas, not mentioning the sticks, pedals, verniers and articulation points :blink:

Man, what's wrong with you??? ;)

This update was really worth the wait :wub:

Looking more and more awesome by the week. ^_^

I don't know how complicated it might get, or how well it might work from an electrical standpoint, but it could be fun to have a couple master switches in hidden places, and then rig several lights to go on or off during various stages of transformation.

The easiest ones I can think of would be the tails, where you could probably rig contacts into the pivots so the lights only go on when the tails are unfolded. You might be able to do something similar for the wings, depending on how your plan to have them extend/collapse works.

The head, you could probably make a contact in the back of the nose section that would power it when folded into battroid position. Same for the nose gear once it's extended.

I dont know if little metal contacts would be easier than wires, but I think they might simplify the process of getting power shared amongst all the moving parts, plus help deactivate lights that you might not want turned on if they're hidden.

This! I gotta try! Fixing contacts on locations and Soldering on the contacts might be problem than laying out wires, but I like the idea.

Aaawww!!!

You made an eye for the head and you even drilled holes in the antennas, not mentioning the sticks, pedals, verniers and articulation points :blink:

Man, what's wrong with you??? ;)

This update was really worth the wait :wub:

Head detail wasn't part of my plan, but I got carried away, I guess.. :ph34r:

Awesome, now can we get some custom commission work =)

Hmmm.. That...

As always, looking good so far Kye!

The little detail are more time consuming, for me at least.

Yeah. little parts fly off the pin-set and hides in the carpet.. Spent an hour looking for it...Very time consuming indeed :lol:

WOW!!! How could I have missed this... finally saw it posted on facebook which is what led me here. I will follow your amazing thread with baited breath. This is simply too awesome, I can't believe the tiny work you can accomplish. I wish you all the luck and smooth sailing till the end of this fantastic project. I can't wait till you tell us how you solved the paint issue with scraping and transformation!

It looks so good so far.

Keep up the great work!

You my friend are my inspiration.

WOW!!! How could I have missed this... finally saw it posted on facebook which is what led me here. I will follow your amazing thread with baited breath. This is simply too awesome, I can't believe the tiny work you can accomplish. I wish you all the luck and smooth sailing till the end of this fantastic project. I can't wait till you tell us how you solved the paint issue with scraping and transformation!

It looks so good so far.

Keep up the great work!

You my friend are my inspiration.

Thanks for your comment! I would need all the luck I can get for this project (specially for the painting department..)

BTW, This is on Facebook? :ph34r:

Wow, now that's a compliment. No pressure.

Yup. No kidding... I think i work better under pressure...I think..

Having always thought the cockpit was just awfully done on these, I am glad someone finally put forth the effort to put the pilot and seat in the right place, proving that it CAN be done.

This is just too awesome.

For the Movie VF-1, the cockpit design is quite different. I'm trying to get closer to the design.

This is going to be a true masterpiece for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for saying!

Jesus. I wish Arcadia would hire you to design their VF models. Sick.

Then their price will go up! Way up!! so not a good idea :ph34r:

Hey Kye. You might want to try this paint called Duracoat. It's made for guns in the combat field and is scratch proof. Works through an airbrush.

http://www.houtsenterprises.net/index.html

- Nghia

Oh Nice find! I gotta try this and compare with my solution before painting pass. Thanks Nghia!

This weekend's summary.

* Continued with Leg partial detail modification. The space is a lot tighter than I thought, so I'm modifying inside foot parts for retracting mechanism. 1 more part to change and I'll add magnet slot for the cover parts. Actual partial mechanical parts are still WIP. I'll add little more details and clean up, and make a resin copy.

8946391049_bbbb8f8156_o.jpg

I tried heat press for the canopy, but it doesn't have enough thickness to handle the transformation. Just too flimsy... So I ended up making a clear resin copy and modifying the shape. Still WIP (fine compound and infamous 'Future' treatment!)

My fingers are all tired after long sanding, so I jumped to the Intake parts detail up. I used PE parts and custom backing for extra detail. Again, there was no room behind the original parts, so I had to cut away some portion to fit them in.

Also, I'm cutting away the side vernier nozzle and replacing them with slightly over-sized one that I'm making.

8947014324_a0fecfe096_o.jpg

Next is Main Foot Thrust Nozzle. I need to modify one of ankle parts to fit leg detail. There is no space behind the foot nozzle either, so I had to cut out some portion of inside parts as well. The problem is the center part between the heel and toe (?). The part is filled with gears and spring, and no room at all for LED or circular nozzle I was going to put in.. This needs more thinking..

Anyways, I managed to install LEDs and wiring for top and bottom parts at least.

8946390637_5fff33aed6_o.jpg

That's all for this weekend! Thanks for following and checking. Ideas are always welcome!

I can't believe it.

The part is filled with gears and spring, and no room at all for LED or circular nozzle I was going to put in.. This needs more thinking..

How about just adding a small communication for the light of the neighboring LCD's to light up the area?

You know with the upper and lower parts of the foot lit up it looks pretty good like that really. Considering none of the rest of us on the planet have a 1/60 Yammie with feet that light up at all you're already way ahead of the curve.

My jaw just hit the floor and broke you bastard, great work

I saw a new thread about 'what glue to use' Maybe crazy glue can help you with broken jaw :lol:

Wow. I was bouncing up and down just because this is going to look just perfect. Really nice job Kyekye!!!!!

Thanks!

I'm not sure what I find more amazing, your skill at design and fabrication or how fast you can work. Truly amazing stuff!

Man, this is not fast at all, really...

This is the most epic custom I've ever seen...

I think I love you...

Hmmm... Thanks, but I'm married :ph34r:

The beauty of engineering !

Superb engineering!! You've done all the details so well!

Hardly engineering! More like headbutting on metal wall!

my new favorite thread!! :D :D :D

Thanks for checking out

yes! Brilliant work!

Just trying this and that.

Awesome work. Those intakes are glorious.

Have you thought about using EL tape for the feet/thrusters?

Didn't think about that! but it seems like EL tape requires inverter which is somewhat big for this one. I can use it for the custom Launch Arm/Base after this and the Strike Pack mod is done. so it will be much later.

I can't believe it.

How about just adding a small communication for the light of the neighboring LCD's to light up the area?

I could try that.

You know with the upper and lower parts of the foot lit up it looks pretty good like that really. Considering none of the rest of us on the planet have a 1/60 Yammie with feet that light up at all you're already way ahead of the curve.

Thanks for saying that. I might be able to do something there thou.

I wasn't able to spend much time this weekend thanks to family trip to garden/park.. You gotta make them happy to maintain this hobby life, you know :ph34r:

Whenever I see Tenjin's Valkyrie illustrations, I thought his foot thrust was cool and sexy! It's that look of coated brushed metal look.

So I decided to try that.

First, I sanded off 0.5mm of the foot thrust surface and cut out the 0.5mm brass sheet to fit the parts. This will be treated with chemical later to give them burned metal look.

9014122901_dd741c5302_b.jpg

Last Joint/Space checking/Fitting test for partial mechanical panel on the left leg.

9014122779_7f4938c684_b.jpg

Finally started working on battery box that can fit in small space. It's about 11mm and can barely fit in areas I'm trying to fit them in. Still need to cut-out some areas thou. The Yamato 1/60 VF-1 really doesn't have much room inside the parts. Good engineering overall. Makes me admire their skill!

Also started working on the rear landing gear. I cut out the original cylinder and replaced with custom actuator. I still need to figure out what to do with gearbox side attachment. It will be bad if the landing gear falls apart after I put the leg together. :o

9014123017_658cde7bb2_b.jpg

That's all for this weekend.