Hasegawa 1/72 VF-1A Super Battroid?

GMK

I am pretty sure it is only the super and strike battroid releases that have the new and improved hip joints. The regular version hips are uber delicate.

Still talking about the Hasegawa 1/72 scale model kits?

According to the instructions, the hip joints / parts are one and the same: VF-1 Battroid and VF-1A Super Battroid

No, they're talking about the parts at the top of the legs, hidden in the intake parts. And yes, the Super/Strike bits are much better than the regular Battroid. I do remember the change when I was building the two of them.

• 4 years later...
On 4/23/2013 at 1:45 AM, Jefuemon said:

No, they're talking about the parts at the top of the legs, hidden in the intake parts. And yes, the Super/Strike bits are much better than the regular Battroid. I do remember the change when I was building the two of them.

Is this still the case?

Trying to get everything together for a Minmay Guard Paris Act and wondering if I should buy the VF-1S Strike Battroid or the regular S/A/J Battroid.

If you mean "do the Super/Strike Battroid kits still have both Q parts (new hips) and C parts (old hips)?" then yes. (I have a -1A Super Battroid bought last year or so and can confirm the parts.)

If you mean "did they replace the C parts (old hips) with Q parts (new hips) in the new releases of the A/J/S Battroid kit?" then... I don't know. I would imagine not.

If you mean "are the new hips still better than the old one?" then I also don't know. I would imagine yes.

5 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

If you mean "do the Super/Strike Battroid kits still have both Q parts (new hips) and C parts (old hips)?" then yes. (I have a -1A Super Battroid bought last year or so and can confirm the parts.)

If you mean "did they replace the C parts (old hips) with Q parts (new hips) in the new releases of the A/J/S Battroid kit?" then... I don't know. I would imagine not.

If you mean "are the new hips still better than the old one?" then I also don't know. I would imagine yes.

Thanks for chiming in, and sorry for the vagueness. 

I guess my question now would be, can you build a Strike Battroid with the Q parts without having to use the Strike parts, in lieu of building a standard A/J/S Battroid with the C parts?

It seems so, at least from scouring the instruction pics. The Strike parts don't have anything to do with the hip joints, so you can build a "naked" VF-1S battroid, complete with the new hip joints and lacking the Super/Strike parts, using the Strike kit. You'll just have to veer away from the instruction sheet at... four?... points:

- Step 3: Put parts F19 and F21 on the forearm slots (covering the mounting points for the arm missile launchers)

- Step 13: Skip this step

- Step 14: Use part D2 instead of the Step 13 assembly when constructing the backpack (leaving no mounting points for the Strike/Super packs)

- Step 23: Put part F16 on the gaps on the back of the forelegs (covering the mounting points for the leg verniers/fuel tanks)

I hope I'm correct with that assessment. Best of luck.

EDIT:

In case you want to check the instructions for yourself:

VF-1A/J/S "Naked" Battroid - http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10025791

VF-1S Strike Battroid - http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10031212

Edited by kajnrig