Robotech RPG Tactics Kickstarter

logos

Ugh. I try so very hard to defend Palladium. Their books were an integral part of my childhood, and I still really enjoy the Rifts books because they update and change the setting with each release.

But damn, they're making it hard to cheer for them without wanting to put a paperbag over my head. This RPG Tactics fiasco has been a horrible experience right from the get-go after the hype died down.

Ugh. I try so very hard to defend Palladium. Their books were an integral part of my childhood, and I still really enjoy the Rifts books because they update and change the setting with each release.

Makes me glad that I... stop following the latest releases back in 1999. Preserved my childhood. ;)

In all seriousness, from that time, I started doing PBP Macross RPing in the Palladium system. It's been liberating being able to tinker with game stats and tweak the rules, while avoiding all the melodrama from the production side.

as I understood it, the Tactics game itself isnt that bad its just the production issues with the figures right?

Yes NZEOD, the game is quite good and immersive as you look down the buildings to see if your regult has a line of fire on this Defender that is exterminating your squad !!

But I really understand the anger from several backer that are waiting their figures for 3 years now. Palladium changed their words too much on this project.

For example, the main game I have, was pre-ordered by a friend of mine, on Palladium's store for my birthday.

I received the game in France, 8 month later but several weeks before European Backers and several months before Australian backers !!

It's not fair for the backers that gave the money to make all this game come true.

Stores and direct orders were shipped before backers orders even if Palladium said several times that backers will be served first.

Thinking I might buy it for the kids

The models are not kid friendly. I built a few and stopped. Without anyone to play with and my refusal to advertise this for PB my pledge is gathering dust. Heck the only mini I painted was the metal max figure that now serves as my avatar. <<

I enjoyed the robofail rpg as a teen but I'm glad I didn't become a fan of rifts or PB and Kevin S. I would hate to be jerked around by such a charlatan from the 90's till now. That's for suckers. :p

Edited by cypherxv

• 4 weeks later...

Holy crap that's a haul even if practically worthless crap. Mine still sitting in the giant ass box I bought two years ago now......I mean I don't have time to assemble the figures and I don't have anyone to play with so wtf is the point?

I think it said it was a card store next to the gamestop, but I could have heard wrong.

They did move to another dumpster were the RRT stuff was...there was just not 'cut' to the video, just a line that they had moved to a card shop in the same plaza after the Gamestop. There are a handful of Kickstarters I regret not being part of. This ain't one of them....

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, Gerli said:

I hope they sued them for all the money stolen/spent on nothing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rrpgt/robotech-rpg-tacticstm/posts/2120399

There's plenty of Michigan lawyers ready and willing to try and set some court precedents on crowdfunding... shouldn't be too hard to find one willing to take a class action.  Likely if anything is filed it'll all go down in the Michigan 18th District Court.

Not surprised that this happened, I'm just surprised that they actually got something out before the project spun in.

32 minutes ago, Sandman said:

What was the issue with this kickstarter? Why aren't they've able to fulfill their obligations?

Here's a condensed version without all the hype-man excuses.

Palladium Books' Robotech License Expires, Remaining Kickstarter Rewards Cancelled

Reading some of the old updates leading up to this, and holy crap.  Earlier in the month the website that hosted pictures from the crowdfunding period got hacked and a year ago one of the game designers almost committed suicide because of backlash from angry backers?!

Wow! That's really unbelievable how badly planned that was. Palladium I has always been a sloppily run company. Makes sense since HG hasn't ever been able to get robotech sequels off the ground. Why would they pick a good lisencee. 

I bet HG ended the licence to end the constant bad press of this kickstarter. It sad that Palladium kept quiet about loosing the licence knowing they wouldn't be able to fulfill the rewards. They really deserve to be sued. 

Its really a shame to see them go down that path. I really ended their rpg back in the 80s when it first came out despite its problem. Even as a kid I could tell those books had some made up and questionable info but i ignored it since there was not many licenced rt/macros products that wasn't toys.

Is there any links to articles about backers taking them to court?

HG shouldn't be scapegoated here... as awful as they are. This is all Palladium's fault. I love how they try to push the blame entirely on Ninja Division. "Look, we knew we didn't know what we were doing, but we thought they did!" 

14 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

Reading some of the old updates leading up to this, and holy crap.  Earlier in the month the website that hosted pictures from the crowdfunding period got hacked and a year ago one of the game designers almost committed suicide because of backlash from angry backers?!

The game designer who attempted suicide was not actually attached to the project... he was a Palladium Books licensee and close friend of some Palladium Books staffers who was trying to launch a startup using a Kickstarter campaign for a RIFTS board game.

He unwisely made a number of remarks about how he could save the RRT Kickstarter, but only if his project got funded.  The RRT backers, who were already livid about RRT's state of affairs and many of whom suspected his startup was a shell company which Palladium was using to shake its fans down for more money, were extraordinarily put out by what they saw as him trying to extort backer pledges from them.  They were so offended that there was a concerted effort to ensure that his Kickstarter would fail, and that any potential backers would be warned about Palladium's suspected (now confirmed) dubious behavior and his ties to them.  For all practical intents and purposes, they succeeded.  He canceled his Kickstarter campaign and attempted suicide soon after.

It was a very messy situation, made worse by Kevin Siembieda's hamhanded attempt to blame Kickstarter backers for the way he accidentally tapped the storm of ill will that had previously directed at Palladium itself.  (He essentially tried to hijack a tragic and upsetting news item to argue that the backers were bad people for being mad at him.)

2 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I bet HG ended the licence to end the constant bad press of this kickstarter. It sad that Palladium kept quiet about loosing the licence knowing they wouldn't be able to fulfill the rewards. They really deserve to be sued. 

It's a safe bet.  Harmony Gold had to be privy to the fact that Palladium Books spent three years lying to its Kickstarter backers about the state of the project's finances and that they would not be able to complete the project due to misappropriating funds from development to build up retail sale stock (that didn't sell).

2 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Is there any links to articles about backers taking them to court?

Nothing thus far, AFAIK... but there is at least one Facebook group devoted to the possibility of pursuing a class action lawsuit against Palladium Books over the Kickstarter's handling, and a number of individuals have stated that they're exploring their options for legal action on an individual basis.

Suing palladium seems like a joke. I'm sure Kickstarter makes it clear that things can go wrong and things do go wrong when companies are trying something new. Now palladium is like three guys in a garage without their biggest license... A backer wanting to sue them is just a person who was ill prepared to be on Kickstarter or is eager to kick a corpse.

Edited by jenius

8 minutes ago, jenius said:

Suing palladium seems like a joke. I'm sure Kickstarter makes it clear that things can go wrong and things do go wrong when companies are trying something new. Now palladium is like three guys in a garage without their biggest license... A backer wanting to sue them is just a person who was ill prepared to be on Kickstarter or is eager to kick a corpse.

Yeah, part of me is of this thinking as well. You're investing in something, and a result or reward from that investment is not at all guaranteed. I kickstarted an indie game about two years ago and the last update was January 1... of 2017. I reported them to Kickstarter in hopes of stopping them from starting another Kickstarter project in the future without some major vetting, but I don't know what else I should expect to receive (or take) from them save for... unfinished character sketches, animation gifs, other project files?

Yeah, suing Palladium is waste of time. After losing money on a Kickstarter, who'd want to lose even more money on attorney fees and court costs? I only know of one successful Kickstarter lawsuit, but that was the result of a default judgment (ie: the defendant never responded to the lawsuit). Palladium's not going to roll over and play dead.

3 hours ago, akt_m said:

lol. serves roboturd fans right.

Man, no fanbase deserves to be treated like the Robotechies are.  I mean, yeah, "fool me once, shame on you" and all that, but the conga line of ineptitude, disdain, and active malice being thrown at them from all sides... they deserve better.