Robotech RPG Tactics Kickstarter

logos

After all the commotion Kevin stirred up with the GC issue even if he had the boxes to sell, when it comes to demoing the game his whole plan to promote it (for the success of the game as he's said) was to have one or two fan friends demo it in the RPG section as opposed to the minis game room. It's my understanding that the RPG room gets little foot traffic, but the minis room gets lots of foot traffic. According to one of the MA's PB was to cheap to pay for a table in the miniatures area.

Also with GC days away his demo team doesn't even have the rules yet. So they don't know how to play the game. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Here's the demo talking about it.

"Gen con had no issue with us being in the minis room, if we paid the table fee, Which was exorbitant and out of the question. Given we had enough RPG support they allowed us five tables in a section to our selves in the RPG section, and given we had demo's being run at the Palladium booth, the one game of RRT did not make financial sense to put it in the mini's room. When we could place it in the palladium section of the RPG area we where given for free, We also as a MA and long time Palladium freind and fan, didnt want to wake the dreaded something is going to go wrong curse, raise the money and spend it on a table, in which we could put nothing because of a delay of product or other unforseen issue. Plus placing it in the Palladium area will allow people to see what the company has to offer as a package.

Now would I have liked to put it in the minis room, hell if I had the people and the materials, yes I would have liked to have three or four tables of RRT in the minis room and a couple tables in the card room playing palladium card game, make the entire con about Palladium.

This is also as NMI said the first year the MA's have really made our selves known, like many we are coming out of the shadows and standing forth to declare Palladium is strong and we will game on.

Now if you are coming to Gen Con see you in a few days"

Edited by cypherxv

• 2 weeks later...

I was searching for something on google. and I found a whole thread of this kind of stuff on a palladium RPG forum.

That's more indicative of the players than the game per se. Call it "Photoshop meets munchkinism".

My second reaction was "Lol what is this, the 90s? Where's Rob Liefeld?"

For it to be a Liefeld, it would have to have a disproportionate and anatomically incorrect body posed in shapes only a contortionist would be able to perform, and featureless appendages. It got the big guns part though.

For it to be a Liefeld, it would have to have a disproportionate and anatomically incorrect body posed in shapes only a contortionist would be able to perform, and featureless appendages. It got the big guns part though.

it would also need hundreds of pouches that are too small to actually hold anything of use.

Edited by anime52k8

Monster MK V "PORCUPINE". I have to question if only the three cannons left on the arms (or missile launchers or whatever those are) is sufficient? I think we could probably layer a few more arms on top of that... and some tiny useless pouches.

Edited by jenius

I have a more general question about Paladium Robotech RPGs; what the hell is this? I mean seriously?

vf-1s-strike-frankenfighter-frontomega-1

Peeked my head in here because this seems to be a hot topic.

And all I have to say, besides WT actual F, is I dare someone to make one of those their Avatar here on the forums.

For a brief moment in my teenage years I played a lot of Palladium games like Ninjas and Superspies, Rifts, Heroes Unlimited and maybe half a campaign of Robotech - but if we had those Ridicu-armors for VF-1 maybe we'd have played more. Still, you should need a natural 20 just to be able to get it off the deck.

-b.

I have a more general question about Paladium Robotech RPGs; what the hell is this? I mean seriously?

vf-1s-strike-frankenfighter-frontomega-1

Technically, are these even playable in a Robotech Universe setting? You know, since the Strikes are Macross, not Roboblech.

Yes, I'm admitting to total ignorance here.

Technically, are these even playable in a Robotech Universe setting? You know, since the Strikes are Macross, not Roboblech.

Yes, I'm admitting to total ignorance here.

No sir, they are not.

While Palladium Books has accidentally used the DYRL cockpit variant line art in their books in both the old and current editions of the Robotech RPG, they've never included stats for the Strike Pack. The current ("2nd") edition did mistakenly include those UUM-7 micro-missile pods that first appeared in DYRL (reportedly the result of lazy editorial copypasta, albeit NERF'd to keep it from totally overpowering the "Alpha"), but only the VF-1 Super and Armored Pack have stats in the books.

They do offer mecha modification rules in one of the other source books, but something with that many non-standard options is going to handle like a cow in a supermarket cart and break down the minute someone so much as sneezes in its general direction.

Robotech Movie Bay's edition?????

WTH!!!

Now, that's what happens when someone rolls a natural 20 on their Robotard damage there.

Or some Macross fan taking a not-so-subtle potshot at the "alternative" Super Pack arrangements from Variable Fighter Master File: Squadrons of the SDF-1 Macross. There is one in those books presented with two NP-BP-01 boosters up top and two more on the wings. We've got plenty of sarcastic folks here on MW who'd totally take that up to 11.

Still... it's downright Orky. NEVER ENUFF DAKKA!

Edited by Seto Kaiba

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently they are done until the next container shows up. No updates, of course, because the internet doesn't work in China, as any fool can plainly see.

Oh and they gave a bunch of the rule books to game distributor Alliance ti give away as freebies to retailers.

Edited by Iron Man 150

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My Valkyrie Wing set arrived today. As mentioned earlier, there are way, way, WAY too many parts for a figure of this size. Yeah, it provides for more posing options, but this seems absurdly over the top. It almost feels like the number of parts actively discourages gamers from playing, since, for me, building three micro-valks suddenly just turned into a laborious experience.

My Valkyrie Wing set arrived today. As mentioned earlier, there are way, way, WAY too many parts for a figure of this size. Yeah, it provides for more posing options, but this seems absurdly over the top. It almost feels like the number of parts actively discourages gamers from playing, since, for me, building three micro-valks suddenly just turned into a laborious experience.

I found a way around this, I have a buddy who likes to design squadron markings/etc and build small models. I'm going to have him come over and we're going to customize some various squadrons. That will split up the effort for me.

Maybe, I mean even the best of us at MW have complaints about even the most perfect valk. All I can really say is how I feel about Palladium's final product.

1) I wanted to play this game.

2) It's extremely unlikely that I'll play on account of the time commitment required to build the micro-valks.

3) Given the time investment, I'm certainly not going to buy any additional figures.

In the meantime, I'm going to play the X-Wing tabletop game instead.

Hey Palladium :) :) :)

YouLoseHomeboy.png

honestly, the over-under missile loadout on the first one kind of makes sense and could probably work in space.

Mmmmm... it's not necessarily a bad idea, but it raises the mass. So you need more reaction mass for the same flight. I'd pr'ly mix it up a bit. Augment those launchers with a thrust-only FAST pack variant.

Actually, the launcher/booster combo of the "stock" FAST packs seems to be a pretty sound mix, now that I think about it.